New Alcohol Bans Will Be Made Aware To Public: Thai Interior Minister

webfact

Well that is fine and now they are (or say they are) going to control the sale and use of alcohol by under aged juveniles then they can remove that stupid and totally irrelevant law that prohibits sale under 10 litres of alcohol to ANYONE between certain popular hours to shop like 2:00 PM to 5:00 PM or before 11:00 AM in the mornings. Really stupid and totally inconvenient to millions of ordinary adults in Thailand. Most Thais I know even agree that it is a totally stupid pointless law as there is already a strict law banning to the sale of alcohol to under aged folk and it is that law that needs and seems is to be more strictly enforced by the BiB.

Anyway that limited time for selling alcohol is only really applied byt Tesco Lotus and Big C even the other supermarkets ignore it quite rightly. Sure they should not and do not though ignore the law about selling to under aged buyers. Stupid and pointless prohibition laws applied to adults NEVER EVER work as folk will and do just ignore it as they always have and not only in Thailand either. Most countries on the world are now easing and stopping many prohibitions like for example the far more harmless Marijuana has been now fully legalised in a few USA states and this is just the sensible start, and since my youth the unwanted Sunday trading laws particularly on alcohol have been removed rightly giving freedom of choice to adults.

Main point of this post is for Thailand to look at and remove this silly, and pointless, time restrictions on the retail selling of alcohol law. Currently I shop a lot at Tesco Lotus and often conveniently in the mid afternoon and it means I then have to go to another shop to buy my beer for my fridge. Very inconvenient and time wasting and I usually cannot use my free to use UK based VISA credit card which I use for all my shopping, bills and petrol etc, to avoid using cash with the high cost of ATM fees, UK bank charges, or the cost of transferring money to a Thai bank. Yes I have looked into ti s closely and for me it is far cheaper and easier to use my UK credit card and pay it off monthly with one payment using internet banking from my UK bank account where my sterling pensions income goes.

Anyway that is my personal inconvenience but most others I speak to have also similar or other related and pointless inconveniences from this really stupid totally irrelevant alcohol sale time restriction law. If somebody can explain accurately and honestly and LOGICALLY what this law achieves then I will listen carefully but cannot think of any valid argument to have such a ridiculous law. Other good laws prevent the sale to under aged folk so that is no reason for having this law too which effects all of us normal adults. Why oh why cannot the Government apply some logic and see this point and remove this law ASAP and make the vast majority of folk a lot happier.

Jesus Rayw This law has been in place for years, have you just arrived in Thailand?

Buy 2 cases of beer for your fridge or 1 case and 7 cans if you are that tight. That will

cover the 10 litre rule!!

Get over it, and get a life man coffee1.gif

Been here for nearly 10 years mate and remember this totally stupid pointless law being introduced. I have got a great life thank you but not helped by annoying inconveniences like this that are soooo very unnecessary. Some folk have not got the spare money to buy two cases of beer, I certainly only tend to buy a dozen cans for the week as I am not a big drinker..

So lets get this right Ray.

You have been here nearly ten years.

You refuse to go shopping before 2pm or after 5pm when you can buy any quantity of booze you want.

You refuse to purchase 10 litres at a time, which would allow you to buy between 2 and 5 pm.

So you want Thailand to change its law to accommodate your preferred shopping habits.

IMO you deserve to be annoyed and inconvenienced.

Just you keep buying your weekly dozen cans Ray that will show them clap2.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Jeez mate you are missing the WHOLE POINT. If this law actually achieved some real purpose then fine the inconvenience would be acceptable, but it really achieves absolutely nothing and you are one of very few people I have heard from who does not agree that this law is stupid in the extreme, and that includes many Thais I talk to as well.

One other point is I do my shopping using my big motorbike using a rack mounted box on the back. No way could I buy 10 litres of booze let alone with my other needed shopping. Sure we know of course that you can shop at the allotted hours but that is not always convenient for Falangs AND Thais. Sorry but do not bother to reply if you can not see what is meant here. Of course I know also we are guests here in Thailand so have to live by their laws of course but there is no reason not to point out the folly of some totally unnecessary laws that if removed would make most Thais happier too (it is supposed to be a democracy here too you know so they should listen to the Thai people's wished too of course).

If somebody could point out why this law is necessary then please do so, but do not accept it is to prevent sales to underaged persons as there is a basic and firm law against that so this law is unnecessary in that respect for cure, that is a no brainer..

• Like 1

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been here for nearly 10 years mate and remember this totally stupid pointless law being introduced. I have got a great life thank you but not helped by annoying inconveniences like this that are soooo very unnecessary. Some folk have not got the spare money to buy two cases of beer, I certainly only tend to buy a dozen cans for the week as I am not a big drinker..

You refuse to go shopping before 2pm or after 5pm when you can buy any quantity of booze you want.

You refuse to purchase 10 litres at a time, which would allow you to buy between 2 and 5 pm.

So you want Thailand to change its law to accommodate your preferred shopping habits.

Just you keep buying your weekly dozen cans Ray that will show them clap2.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Jeez mate you are missing the WHOLE POINT. If this law actually achieved some real purpose then fine the inconvenience would be acceptable, but it really achieves absolutely nothing and you are one of very few people I have heard from who does not agree that this law is stupid in the extreme, and that includes many Thais I talk to as well.

One other point is I do my shopping using my big motorbike using a rack mounted box on the back. No way could I buy 10 litres of booze let alone with my other needed shopping. Sure we know of course that you can shop at the allotted hours but that is not always convenient for Falangs AND Thais. Sorry but do not bother to reply if you can not see what is meant here. Of course I know also we are guests here in Thailand so have to live by their laws of course but there is no reason not to point out the folly of some totally unnecessary laws that if removed would make most Thais happier too (it is supposed to be a democracy here too you know so they should listen to the Thai people's wished too of course).

If somebody could point out why this law is necessary then please do so, but do not accept it is to prevent sales to underaged persons as there is a basic and firm law against that so this law is unnecessary in that respect for cure, that is a no brainer..

The law is generally ass when it comes to drug control, whether it be alcohol, opium, tobacco or grass. I only go out in the morning & afternoon on the "school run", when you can't buy beer. So, I go to Makro & buy a couple of cases. Problem with having a couple of cases in the house is that it's too easy to "put another one in the freezer" after you've had your quota for the evening. So, you end up drinking more. Yeah, great result from a law to cut alcohol consumption. I could use the Mom & Pop stores, but they're only ok if you like to drink extra strong Chang, cr@ppy Leo or way out of date Heineken, close to to where I live. So, as I said earlier, the law is an ass. What's new?

In my area in Isaan nobody bother's about alcohol sale hours nor selling cigarettes and alcohol to minors. These village shops sell all hours and if they are closed you just knock on the fence and they open up and sell... "Open all hours" here and to everybody, kids from 6 up can buy the stuff.

Nothing will change in my area of the woods... ever... !

Same thing, same way in my area of Lopburi.

Does make u wonder what process they go thru to think this stuff up.

In a separate but equally valid public announcement, the minister for Agriculture has declared that from tomorrow, all chickens in the Kingdom would be urged to grow 5 legs instead of the usual 2 legs. This would be a real boost to productivity if it could be followed through..........

Edited by bangon04

The POINT is Ray it's the law and it can be a pain in the rear end but it is still the law.

It is not up to you or me or anyone, including Thais, to decide we don't like that law or

this law, otherwise where do we end up Ray????

I know there are some laws in my country that appear to be somewhat useless and I am

pretty sure the same applies for your country of origin, but I have yet to see someone

like you moaning and groaning about such a petty inconvenience on Thaivisa.

By the way Ray you are probably breaking the Thai noise laws with your big bike but I

don't hear you complaining about that!!!! coffee1.gif

Incidently Ray where I live in thailand the booze law is in force at most outlets, so you

are luckier than most if it is only enforced in some outlets where you live. biggrin.png

Does make u wonder what process they go thru to think this stuff up.

In a separate but equally valid public announcement, the minister for Agriculture has declared that from tomorrow, all chickens in the Kingdom would be urged to grow 5 legs instead of the usual 2 legs. This would be a real boost to productivity if it could be followed through..........

I know you jest but I can see this fool Nattuwat saying someting like this after his statement that when he dreamed about receiving valuable amulets they suddenly appeared at his doorstep.

The POINT is Ray it's the law and it can be a pain in the rear end but it is still the law.

It is not up to you or me or anyone, including Thais, to decide we don't like that law or

I know there are some laws in my country that appear to be somewhat useless and I am

pretty sure the same applies for your country of origin, but I have yet to see someone

By the way Ray you are probably breaking the Thai noise laws with your big bike but I

Incidently Ray where I live in thailand the booze law is in force at most outlets, so you

are luckier than most if it is only enforced in some outlets where you live. biggrin.png

Oh dear.. Yes I know it is the law here at this time and I even stated that. What I am saying is in a democracy like here the Government are elected in by the Thai people to do the will of the Thai people and from most Thai folk I talk to they seem to agree that this alcohol selling times law is plain brain dead stupid. So yes an inconvenience for absolutely nothing for millions of folk and that was what I was trying to put forward intelligently and logically.

Laws only get changed, scrapped or new ones brought in by the people's will and by them complaining about wrongful or pointless laws or non-existent laws that need invoking. After all the Government is their elected representatives in a democracy and should as such meet the demands of those whom elected them into power (that is the theory at least!). We certainly get many laws changed in the UK by moaning and demonstrating against those considered stupid, unfair and / or pointless, I remember one major change forced by the UK people and that was the totally immoral right wing Poll Tax applied in the Thatcher era. That was so wrong and cruel to the poorer folk in our society and yet kind to the rich who do not need help of course. It was forced to be abolished by the people by mass revolt, many refusing to pay the tax and some even going to jail with a lot of publicity, and later released by public pressure. Sure you and I are only guests here in Thailand so we cannot and should not be able to force any law changes and quite rightly too, but by having a small moan in a public forum about some bad or pointless laws then we at least get Thai folk (many who read this forum BTW) into thinking too about how they can help force through changes or removal of these pointless unnecessary laws.

If you have not seen others moaning about things like this on TVF then you cannot read much. I am not normally a moaner for the sake of it and respect almost all Thai laws of which most are sensible, wanted by the people and needed too, yes including most of the immigration laws as they do achieve what the Thai people generally want in respect of immigration. This alcohol sale restriction times law though is unwanted and blatantly pointless. It causes untold unnecessary inconvenience and annoyance to millions here, and I am talking of millions of Thais, many of whom we clearly see already break this daft law all over the country every day. So this law is unworkable and unnecessary and pointless so I am saying that the Government here should seriously consider a popular move and scrapping it ASAP as it will win far more support than it will lose.

BTW my motorbike has a sensible and decent exhaust system on it so is not noisy at all and sounds rather nice actually with a smooth deep tone, very unlike the truly noisy lorries with blown exhaust baffles that frequent the roads here and indeed many motorbikes which have very illegal noisy exhaust systems fitted. So yes I agree with noise pollution laws, which are certainly NOT pointless as protect Thai citizens as well as visitors here, so I just wish they were invoked more to be honest. If you are truly unsure of your exhaust volume then get it checked somewhere with a Decibel meter and compare it to the legal limit, then correct it if it is outside of the noise pollution laws.

Edited by rayw

Oh dear.. Yes I know it is the law here at this time and I even stated that. What I am saying is in a democracy like here the Government are elected in by the Thai people to do the will of the Thai people and from most Thai folk I talk to they seem to agree that this alcohol selling times law is plain brain dead stupid. So yes an inconvenience for absolutely nothing for millions of folk and that was what I was trying to put forward intelligently and logically.

Laws only get changed, scrapped or new ones brought in by the people's will and by them complaining about wrongful or pointless laws or non-existent laws that need invoking. After all the Government is their elected representatives in a democracy and should as such meet the demands of those whom elected them into power (that is the theory at least!). We certainly get many laws changed in the UK by moaning and demonstrating against those considered stupid, unfair and / or pointless, I remember one major change forced by the UK people and that was the totally immoral right wing Poll Tax applied in the Thatcher era. That was so wrong and cruel to the poorer folk in our society and yet kind to the rich who do not need help of course. It was forced to be abolished by the people by mass revolt, many refusing to pay the tax and some even going to jail with a lot of publicity, and later released by public pressure. Sure you and I are only guests here in Thailand so we cannot and should not be able to force any law changes and quite rightly too, but by having a small moan in a public forum about some bad or pointless laws then we at least get Thai folk (many who read this forum BTW) into thinking too about how they can help force through changes or removal of these pointless unnecessary laws.

If you have not seen others moaning about things like this on TVF then you cannot read much. I am not normally a moaner for the sake of it and respect almost all Thai laws of which most are sensible, wanted by the people and needed too, yes including most of the immigration laws as they do achieve what the Thai people generally want in respect of immigration. This alcohol sale restriction times law though is unwanted and blatantly pointless. It causes untold unnecessary inconvenience and annoyance to millions here, and I am talking of millions of Thais, many of whom we clearly see already break this daft law all over the country every day. So this law is unworkable and unnecessary and pointless so I am saying that the Government here should seriously consider a popular move and scrapping it ASAP as it will win far more support than it will lose.

BTW my motorbike has a sensible and decent exhaust system on it so is not noisy at all and sounds rather nice actually with a smooth deep tone, very unlike the truly noisy lorries with blown exhaust baffles that frequent the roads here and indeed many motorbikes which have very illegal noisy exhaust systems fitted. So yes I agree with noise pollution laws, which are certainly NOT pointless as protect Thai citizens as well as visitors here, so I just wish they were invoked more to be honest. If you are truly unsure of your exhaust volume then get it checked somewhere with a Decibel meter and compare it to the legal limit, then correct it if it is outside of the noise pollution laws.

clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif Good on you Ray, and i am pleased to hear your motorbike exhaust is legal, well done.

Sadly all your banging on on this thread will achieve the grand total of zero, absolutely nothing will be

changed so keep winding yourself up over this totally insignificant slight inconvenience, have a nice day.

giggle.gif

According to the Minister, the government enforced three new laws last year prohibiting sales and drinks of alcohol in three places, namely on pavement, roadside areas and public walkways, in factories and lastly, in government units and state enterprises. In order to strictly enforce the laws, he said the legislation must be publicized continuously among public members.

It would seem the Minister does not spend much time on Sukhumvit