2 Stroke Mixture

cooked

... feeling a bit dumb, but the two chain saws that I smuggled in 6 months ago in are still laying in the work shop. According to the manual, I should use 'good quality two stroke oil, 2%'.

Following previous experiences in this wonderful country, I wonder if the usual two stroke additive that I can buy here can be applied at 2%? I don't want to seize the motor or have to clean the carburetor every 30 minutes. Extract from manual:

Two-stroke oil

• For the best results use HUSQVARNA two-stroke oil, which has been specially produced for power cutters. Mixing ratio1:50 (2%). ( I haven't seen any).

• If HUSQVARNA two-stroke oil is not available you can use a high quality two-stroke oil intended for air-cooled engines. Contact your dealer when selecting an oil. Mixing ratio: 1:33(3%) - 1:25 (4%). (Is the two-stroke oil to be found here 'high quality'?)

So can I take petrol and the two stroke oil that I find here at three%?

Second question: how do I get, or alternatively, do I need, a chain saw license? (Occasional use around the house and out in the fields).

And threely, I need a disc for my chain sharpener, I can't find any around here, apparently you buy a new saw when the chain is worn down. .. hmmm?

Thanks.

Sold Husqvarna saws for many years. If you use dedicated 2 stroke oil which meets Husq quality control, you can mix at 50-1.

If you are not sure, mix the no-name or unknown-name at 25-1

That being said, if you purchase a good quality 2 cycle oil - especially if it is full synthetic, I would feel safe using the 50-1 mix

As far as a disc to sharpen chains, we only had it on a commercial branded sharpener. I myself always used a chainsaw file, and checked the angle with occasionally. Be sure to file down the rakers as you file the cutting teeth back, as this controls depth of cut. Hardwood uses a more shallow depth that softwood.

You can tell right away if the depth is too deep, as the bar will 'chatter' during operation.

As an aside - we used to completely remove the rakers in the winter to cut frozen wood. Saw bucked badly but boy did it cut fast.

Thanks for that!

I do file down the rakers regularly but I never heard of removing them, might have saved me a lot of trouble when it was minus 20C. I only used the disc when I half wittedly tried to cut through stones or steel posts, but always finish off with a hand job. (well at my age...) The disc corrects the angle automatically.

How do I know if the oil is good quality becomes the question now, I bought something at IQ house and of course 'is good, good'.

So what is a chain saw license please, anyone?

In my local MyHome store I am seeing a lot more chainsaws on sale. This makes me wonder if the regulations have been relaxed.

If you have the chainsaw lying idle because you are not sure about the 2 stroke oil, if you cannot find the answer, then you may as well try it with the local oil.

I have one of these commonly sold short chainsaws – no licence required to buy or operate it. My understanding (as told to me by a retailer I know and respect) is that it is legal to use them to cut trees with a diameter not exceeding the saw length. There are a couple of full-length chain saws in my village but these are always kept hidden from the authorities as illegal to own or use without a permit.

Rgds

Khonwan

How do I know if the oil is good quality becomes the question now, I bought something at IQ house and of course 'is good, good'.

I would think any two stroke oil - at 25-1 - would be safe. Myself, I would have no problem.

But if a store is close, and you can get full-syn ... I would go the extra mile.

• Like 1

I think all of the two stroke oils are fine as long as you follow the instructions. Mix it however the manufacturer recommends. I'm not totally sold on the synthetics. They were basically developed to cut down on the smoke rather than to protect the engine.

I use Castrol in my chainsaw . Mixture can be 'adjusted' slightly. If light work I use 50:1. If heavy felling then I use 30 - ish :1. Constant smokey environment of 25:1 gives me sinusitus.

12 inch bar is the legal max. for this country. You can still 'flop a big stick' with that. I had a 'bar' licence for a big saw I had, but it (the licence) was really only needed for police checks on the highway.