Where Does A Laptop Belong On A Plane?

smo

I have to travel soon to BKK for medical treatment. Due to my condition I cannot carry a heavy load with me. As a matter of fact, I've already requested "wheelchair assistance" (pathetic ain't it?). Since I plan to spend some extended time in Krung Thep I am also taking my 7lbs laptop with me. Can I put it in my check-in luggage, or should I try to carry it on board with me? The later could put my back in serious trouble, especially if the wheelchair assistant doesn't show up... But I've heard that the X-ray machine people want the passengers to turn on and off their laptop to make sure it is really a computer?

Thanks for your advice and input.

smo :o

If you can't carry it, pack it inside your suit case and pad it with clothings etc.

Don't check it seperately.

I used to check in a lap-top carry-on bag, filled with papers. On 3 trips this was opened by somebody before arriving on the belt. Luggage handlers are on the look out for laptops :o

Some Airlines tell passengers not to put ANY

Electrical items in their Checked in Luggage.

Checked in Luggage is Scanned - so they may

want to open any Container you may choose

to pack the Laptop in.

Personally I think you should NOT place it in

Checked in Luggage.

I would suggest that you seek assistance from your Airline.

If you explain your problem - they may well provide the solution.

Maybe a member of the Crew will take it on board for you.

Good Luck

Roger

I once saw NorthWest baggage handlers at the Detroit airport tossing luggage out of the back of an airplane onto the tarmac 25 feet below, AND it was drizzling rain.

I used to have a sore neck every time I flew as I was lugging my laptop around in a shoulderbag.

Now I have a small computer case with wheels and a collapsible handle. My neck doesn't get crinks anymore when I travel.

I bought mine at JCPenny in Florida for $50. I've seen the same bag at the Chicago airport with a pricetag of $299 on it.

Even at $299 though, this bag would have paid for itself in chiropractor bills quite rapidly.

Shortly after 9/11 there were rumors that you have to turn on the laptop for security check. I never had to do it on at least 20 trips.

Traveling in a checked suitcase broke the hinge on my older Powerbook once, so now I always carry it with me.

Wheels will be next for sure.

• 3 weeks later...

Only in some airports do they want you to turn it on and then put it through x-ray, Sydney being one of these. Never hapened to me in BKK. It really is risky checking it in, you never know if it will be broken, as Sunbelt mentioned, or even missing when you pick it up.

Try to take it on board - rucksacks are becoming more and more popular for this - just bought myself one from Victorinox with a padded laptop compartment. This is much easier on the shoulders and neck than the ordinary PC bag or even briefcase.

Anchor? Sigh!

At 7 pounds, why don't you give it to your kids to anchor their boat?

IT cracks me up

carry it on if you value it.

if you are coming from LAX/USA they make you take it out of your computer case and run it through the carry on xray machine. no more turning it on, i think they got sick of seeing the windows 98 startup screen sit there for 5 to 10 minutes

I used to work for a large multinational. The standing rule was Laptops are NEVER to be checked, they MUST be carried. This company also stated if your Laptop was lost or stolen, you would pay a cash penalty. :o:D

Can I put it in my check-in luggage, or should I try to carry it on board with me?

There is only one place for your laptop on a commercial airplane. That is within eyesight. Never put anything in checked baggage that you could not afford to lose.

For me, anything that has monetary value or is difficult to replace, comes with me into the cabin. The computer can always be replaced. The data on the hard drive is not so easily replaced, unless you are one of those diligent few who make regular backups.

If you have a medical condition, then you can always tell the airline that the computer is required for monitoring your condition and they may take extra steps to help you with it and keep it close to you on the plane.

If you absolutely have to put it into checked baggage, then you need to take precautions. First, put it into a strong stiff baggage container that has a very good lock on it. Second, seal the baggage container with something strong like duct tape. This will allow you to determine whether or not the bag has been tampered with during transit.

Another idea would be to remove the hard drive and keep it with you. That way, you have the most important part with you, and if someone were to tamper with your luggage, they would be less likely to "boost" a computer with no hard drive.

I would not be too concerned about x-ray machines when going into or out of the USA or central Europe. I've sent my laptops through dozens of x-ray machines in these areas and have not had any problems. You may want to double-check at BKK for your outbound leg. I'm not sure how modern their x-ray technology will be. Generally, the older that equipment, the higher the radiated power of the x-rays and more likely to damage something.

Hope this helps.

Spee

1- A notebook computer should be always taken with you as hand luggage and is not for check-in. It might be easily damaged, getting wet, broken ....

2- I am travelling sometimes with my very old father (97 years old) from Tokyo to Bangkok - I never had any problem with wheel-chair and assistance. Just contact the airline in advance (prior the day of departure) and let them know your problem.

3- Do not think, you are an exception. Always when I was on the plane with my father, some other person had similar problems.... very old person, or handicapped person, blind or with broken bones.....

There was ALWAYS somebody else on board, who was asking for assistance, we were never alone, when boarding as the first and getting off the plane with the lift instead using the stairs.

Do not worry, it works smoothly from check-in to check-out. Airlines are considering your problem that as a routine service.

Have a good trip and a successful medical treatment in Thailand.

Johann