Where To Keep The Work Permit?

My employer has a policy keeping the WP's in the safe. If I need to open for example a Bank Account, I need to ask permission to use (my own) original WP.

I have worked in Thailand for over 13 years, this is the first time I am not allowed to have my Work Permit on my possession.

Wonder if this is legal or common practice?

What is the recommendation by Ministry of Labor?

The work permit is your property and you are responsible for it. Your employer has no legal right to demand that they keep work permit.

It is not common practice at all for the above reasons.

Edited by ubonjoe

The work permit is your property and you are responsible for it. Your employer has no legal right to demand that they keep work permit.

You are exactly correct. I always keep mine. It sits in the drawer in my desk, and I know I should carry it or a photocopy while working, in case the school was raided by immigration?? If any employer wanted mine, I would gladly give them a photocopy.

Exactly. At the university I work at they did keep it and my passport until I got fed up with having to fetch them for any business. I was not clued in on these things at the time but I informed them that I want them both back and will keep them. They complied. My guess is because they handle all the work permit renewals and visa extensions themselves via proxy and I never had to go to labor/immigration myself they just felt it more convenient.

I always carry a copy, was under the assumption, WP should be kept at address/s stated, as Employer pays for this thought would be their decision if you can carry the original.....its never been an issue for me but hey learn something everyday

The work permit belongs to the employee.

The law sttes that the employee must either carries it with him for inspection while working OR have it kept at the place of work. having it at the office might be good in many instances, but in case of multiple places of work carrying it with you is better. You as employee pay the fine for not being able to show it upon inspection. (They do raid businesses from time to time).