Entered The Country, Didn't Get Stamped In!

Here's an amazing story. I met an Australian guy who asked me what he should do. He had flown from Sydney to Phuket and then on to Bangkok. He was never stamped into the country in Phuket and once he arrived in Bangkok he had come through the domestic terminal, so didn't get stamped in there either! I suggested he go to his embassy first, ask their opinion and then on to Immigration in Bangkok to get his passport stamped. He had the TM card and customs form but never saw an immigration officer!

So much for security in this country huh? Seems like an easy way for anybody to enter the country without being found.

That's really interesting, and should be due to a flaw in the routines in Phuket airport, because once getting off a domestic flight, the crowd can choose to go either through immigration and customs, or just proceed to the domestic baggage claim area.

To make myself clearer - once through the first airport (Phuket in this case) it is no problem whatsoever to just go the domestic way in Bangkok, i.e. nobody checks a domestic flight.

I assume he had no checked in baggage?

Could you ask him to recall the stations/steps he went through in Phuket, because that's where the problem must be.

This would be very easy to do and I'm surprised it doesn't occur more often.

The background: If you are flying inbound to Thailand on certain airlines and connecting to a domestic flight to certain Thai airports (e.g. Phuket, Chiang Mai, Hat Yai, perhaps some others), you can elect not to clear customs and immigrations in Bangkok and do so at your final destination. Upon arrival in Bangkok, you identify yourself at a transfer desk in Don Muang. The transfer desk staff gives you your domestic boarding pass and a "C.I.Q." sticker to put on your shirt. You are then sent to a bus gate in the international terminal. At the appropriate time, you are taken directly by bus to the domestic flight. You never enter the domestic terminal building. Upon arrival at your final destination, the TG ground staff looks for passengers with "C.I.Q." stickers on their shirt and shunt such travelers off to passport control, etc.

The problem: Quite simply, what happens if you remove the "C.I.Q." sticker from your shirt and walk out through domestic arrivals? The ground staff will eventually know that x passengers should have cleared immigrations in Phuket and only x-1 actually ever did, but by the time they reconcile their lists it's too late and you are already lazing about on Patong beach.

As far as checked bags are concerned, you can get around this too. I've checked my bags through to Chiang Mai numerous times, cleared immigrations in Bangkok and collected my bags from the international arrivals area at the Chiang Mai airport. Nobody in Chiang Mai has ever asked to inspect my passport. (I cannot also clear immigrations in Chiang Mai because the international airline I arrive on in BKK does not have an agreement with TG to allow this.)

With the security concerns these days, I'm surprised the Thai authorities don't close this little loophole and make all inbound passengers officially enter the country at their actual point of entrance. Most people who get around the system are probably just making an "honest mistake" but it would be easy enough for the bad guys to slip in unnoticed as well.

Here's an amazing story. I met an Australian guy who asked me what he should do. He had flown from Sydney to Phuket and then on to Bangkok. He was never stamped into the country in Phuket and once he arrived in Bangkok he had come through the domestic terminal, so didn't get stamped in there either! I suggested he go to his embassy first, ask their opinion and then on to Immigration in Bangkok to get his passport stamped. He had the TM card and customs form but never saw an immigration officer!

So much for security in this country huh? Seems like an easy way for anybody to enter the country without being found.

He should go in to Immigration with his flight information...ticket, boarding pass and his itinerary. He only needs to prove he was on that flight, and the airline can easily assist him. Immigration can regularize things for him.

That's right meadish, no checked luggage. New guy travelling, from the very new state of his passport and his age I would suspect he's never been out of OZ before. I believe his was an honest mistake, he was genuinely worried. But, as has been pointed out before, this would be a very easy way for some real trouble to enter the country!

QUOTING Ovenman: "With the security concerns these days, I'm surprised the Thai authorities don't close this little loophole and make all inbound passengers officially enter the country at their actual point of entrance. Most people who get around the system are probably just making an "honest mistake" but it would be easy enough for the bad guys to slip in unnoticed as well." UNQUOTE

You are right, now that you explain the procedure with the stickers and all, I remember it clearly myself. But when I arrived in Chiang Mai to pick up my baggage, I was actually asked by the guard to present my passport, ticket and boarding pass first though.

Still the risk of unwanted people entering the country remains, and if they are truly part of a terrorist network or some shady business, they can surely arrange to transport any necessary goods through other channels.

It's a smooth system for bona-fide and well-meaning tourists, but maybe not so wise in other respects...

And the man should follow the Doctor's advice, of course.

You are right, now that you explain the procedure with the stickers and all, I remember it clearly myself. But when I arrived in Chiang Mai to pick up my baggage, I was actually asked by the guard to present my passport, ticket and boarding pass first though.

Never had that happen myself but I haven't through-checked bags in this manner in the past year or so. They may be tightening up the international baggage claim procedure which is not a bad idea based on what I have observed in the past.

The staff at the transfer desk never really explains what the "C.I.Q." sticker is for or why it's important. I can picture any number of people just ripping it off their shirt 10 metres from having received it at the transfer dask!

An announcment is made when the plane lanks in Phuket or wherever regarding people who have yet to clear Thai customs, immigrations and quarantine but if you aren't a seasoned traveler, this may not have much meaning for you.

Still the risk of unwanted people entering the country remains, and if they are truly part of a terrorist network or some shady business, they can surely arrange to transport any necessary goods through other channels.

Put your mind to it and you can think of any number of ways this current system could be abused.

It's a smooth system for bona-fide and well-meaning tourists, but maybe not so wise in other respects...

Does anybody know if there is any other country in the world that allows such a system, i.e. it's not mandatory to clear immigrations/customs at one's initial port of entry?

And the man should follow the Doctor's advice, of course.

Yeah, the sooner this guy straightens this situation out the better off he'll be. I can just see him trying to go through outbound passport control at Don Muang with a totally blank pasport. :o

He should go in to Immigration with his flight information...ticket, boarding pass and his itinerary. He only needs to prove he was on that flight, and the airline can easily assist him. Immigration can regularize things for him.
dr. pat pong is right, but i think he should bolt over to an immigration office like today !
I couldn't believe it myself until I saw his empty passport! Brand new passport, no stamps at all.

if he gets picked up WALKINK AROUND he will go to jail temporary as a blank passport would never have been entered in a thai immigration computer before so they will cart him to jail as they have no way of really identifying him yet.

however, they will give him an on arrival 30 day visa no problem if he walks into any immigration office.

after that it will might keep the immigration officers at the airport scratching their heads for a second as he re enters thailand the next time of why a passport's first stamp says bangkok immigration 30 days and not at a port of entry, although the computer will clear that up in a second.

I had a similar thing happen to me in germany (I know it's not thailand but it may help). I flew into hamburg, but my passport was never stamped. This was just before the "shoe bomb" extravagance. So when it came to flying out I was not only made to take my shoes off, but hassled about my arrival in germany. Luckily I kept my stubs from my boarding passes, which confirmned my arrival (and the error on their part). Best for him to go into immigration all he needs to do is prove he was on the flight, so as long as he has his stubs he should be fine. :o

This loophole at Phuket airport is 'well-known'. I fly many times from BKK to Phuket. When you disembark you walk into the airport and are then prompted to turn left if you are an international passenger or turn right for domestic passengers. I have commented to my GF on several ocasions that there is no check at all to see if you are a domestic or international passenger!! :o

Simon

I guess that is the main reason I posted the thread, I felt this potentially threatening situation needed to be changed, perhaps Immigration will take their jobs more seriously in the smaller airports. I have heard that flying into Samui from Singapore is equally as easy, not much security. Never having done it myself I don't know but friends have told me they thought it a bit worrisome how easily some person bent on trouble could get into the country.

I guess that is the main reason I posted the thread, I felt this potentially threatening situation needed to be changed, perhaps Immigration will take their jobs more seriously in the smaller airports. I have heard that flying into Samui from Singapore is equally as easy, not much security. Never having done it myself I don't know but friends have told me they thought it a bit worrisome how easily some person bent on trouble could get into the country.

Tell the Aussie to get his butt to Immigration pronto ( maybe go via his airline to get proof that he travelled ) ....wait too long and .....

I have heard that flying into Samui from Singapore is equally as easy, not much security.

I think we're talking about two different situations now. I'm assume that you are referring to a direct Singapore-Samui flight and then lax immigrations procedures upon arrival in Samui(?). The original scenario is an international arrival at Don Muang, transfer to a domestic flight without clearing immigrations in Bangkok and then inadvertently not clearing immigrations at the domestic airport due to a haphazard passenger identification system.

I think the intention behind the current arrival immigrations system is to relieve some of the burden in Bangkok by not making all domestic transfer passengers go through immigrations with every other arriving passenger. As we have seen the current system can be subverted, perhaps by accident, perhaps purposefully. An example of a better way to handle this situation can be found at the new Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA). The procedures in KL are thus:

Most all international arriving aircraft at KLIA park at a satellite terminal building where all of the 'C' gates are located. If one is transferring from one international flight to another, one simply stays at the satellite building and boards the next plane. Kuala Lumpur arrivals and domestic transfer passengers proceed by train from the satellite to the main terminal building where all of the 'A' and 'B' gates are located. Upon reaching the main terminal building, the KL-bound passengers follow the "Arrival" signs towards immigrations and baggage claim just like in any airport around the world. The domestic transfer passengers are sent in another direction, downstairs towards the domestic departure gates. Before actually entering the terminal wing, there is a separate passport control area for these transfer passengers. One needs a domestic boarding pass to avail themselves of this counter. I've never seen a line at this immigrations counter. One is generally through immigrations in a minute and then walking towards their domestic departure gate.

This system was obviously designed into the building plan when KLIA was built. It would be difficult to shoehorn something like this into the existing structure at Don Muang but perhaps something similar is in the works for the new airport in Bangkok?

The original scenario is an international arrival at Don Muang, transfer to a domestic flight without clearing immigrations in Bangkok
the other way around overman, sbk said he landed in phuket then flew to bangkok
Here's an amazing story. I met an Australian guy who asked me what he should do. He had flown from Sydney to Phuket and then on to Bangkok.
Never having done it myself I don't know but friends have told me they thought it a bit worrisome how easily some person bent on trouble could get into the country.
anyone can hike across the border as many smuggle drugs everyday up north, entering thailand from burma. getting into thailand is easy and is not the topic, but not getting stamped in from immigration after arriving from an international flight.

to tell you the truth sbk, this guy you met is not too bright as he doesn't seem to understand what a visa is or how important it is.

Tell the Aussie to get his butt to Immigration pronto ( maybe go via his airline to get proof that he travelled ) ....wait too long and .....

dr pat pong is correct, if he does not get this corrected and gets picked up HE WILL GO TO JAIL, its that simple. tell him to take care of it asap at any immigration office.

The original scenario is an international arrival at Don Muang, transfer to a domestic flight without clearing immigrations in Bangkok

the other way around overman, sbk said he landed in phuket then flew to bangkok

I stand corrected. Sounds like it's a variant of the same problem though with HKT being the initial point of entry rather than BKK.

Huski, I had the feeling he had never been out of Oz before, so perhaps he didn't understand. Young and ignorant isn't necessarily "not too bright". We can be charitable and call him naive. :o

Ovenman, I am talking about direct intl flights landing in smaller airports such as Phuket and Samui, the guy I met didn't hit Bangkok until after Phuket. Also, there are now direct Singapore-Samui flights. And my understanding of the airport at Samui is that the security/customs is quite lax. I understand that is just as easy to come over a land border but do think the govt should perhaps make it a little tougher to come in by air.

Huski, I had the feeling he had never been out of Oz before, so perhaps he didn't understand. Young and ignorant isn't necessarily "not too bright". We can be charitable and call him naive. :o

Ovenman, I am talking about direct intl flights landing in smaller airports such as Phuket and Samui, the guy I met didn't hit Bangkok until after Phuket. Also, there are now direct Singapore-Samui flights. And my understanding of the airport at Samui is that the security/customs is quite lax. I understand that is just as easy to come over a land border but do think the govt should perhaps make it a little tougher to come in by air.

sbk ....try and push the Aussie lad into getting his butt into either the airline that carried him or Immigration and get it all cleared up asap.

He was headed to Bangkok when he told me about it, so I wrote down the address of Immigration there and told him he needed to do it right away. Lets hope he understood the seriousness of it, I told him that he wouldn't be able to leave the country until he got it sorted and that if he showed up at the airport with an empty passport he would have major problems. Hope it sunk in! All we can do is point the way, its up to the person to follow through. Like my dad says, "half the world is alive 'cause the other half takes care of it" :o

Ovenman, I am talking about direct intl flights landing in smaller airports such as Phuket and Samui, the guy I met didn't hit Bangkok until after Phuket. Also, there are now direct Singapore-Samui flights. And my understanding of the airport at Samui is that the security/customs is quite lax. I understand that is just as easy to come over a land border but do think the govt should perhaps make it a little  tougher to come in by air.

Arrival by air is pretty much a closed system so I wouldn't think it would be too tough to make sure all passengers make it to immigrations, etc.

I've never been an international arrival at either Phuket or Samui so I'm not familiar with how either airport handles a solely international arriving flight. In Chiang Mai, I don't see how an international arrival can get around immigrations without deliberately using a sneaky trick of some sort (keep in mind that an international arrival via a domestic flight is a dfferent story).

He was headed to Bangkok when he told me about it, so I wrote down the address of Immigration there and told him he needed to do it right away. Lets hope he understood the seriousness of it, I told him that he wouldn't be able to leave the country until he got it sorted and that if he showed up at the airport with an empty passport he would have major problems. Hope it sunk in! All we can do is point the way, its up to the person to follow through. Like my dad says, "half the world is alive 'cause the other half takes care of it" :D

Your dad is no dummy sbk :o

He was headed to Bangkok when he told me about it, so I wrote down the address of Immigration there and told him he needed to do it right away. Lets hope he understood the seriousness of it, I told him that he wouldn't be able to leave the country until he got it sorted and that if he showed up at the airport with an empty passport he would have major problems. Hope it sunk in! All we can do is point the way, its up to the person to follow through. Like my dad says, "half the world is alive 'cause the other half takes care of it"  :D

Your dad is no dummy sbk :o

Well, if he was that young and was given a healthy piece of advice by a veteran such as yourself, sbk, I believe he caught the first available 600 baht tuk-tuk ride from Khao San straight to Suan Phluu. :D

"You can lead a horse to the water but you can not make it drink / You can send a man through school but you cannot make him think."

/Ben Harper.

Even stoners have their moments.

What a rather odd situation to occur. Dr. PP is right, being in Thailand without proper entry documents can spell trouble, so hopefully he gets it cleared up fast.

Still it is not unusual for these things to happen. It does happen here in USA from time to time, where as immigrants and visitors fall thru the cracks and are not entered in properly. I know of one Philippino woman who entered in Florida via ship and she never got stamped and went on to Atlanta and came to Chicago. We met by accident at a dinner shindig and my ex-wife and her bumped into one another. Anyway to be brief, She had nothing to show as of clearance and was not able to work here legally since she did not have her work permit stuff and all.

Anyway she never went to jail, got a lawyer which cost her dearly and eventually did the process herself and last I heard she is in here now legally and living back in Florida married to some USA citizen.

Daveyoti

Personally, I would have told him to go straight into his Embassy.

Or if it was out of hours, phone and demand to speak to the Duty Officer.

And I mean GO STRAIGHT THERE. Having it discovered by a third party (hotel receptionist etc.) wouldn't look good.

Once you have 'come clean' with your Embassy, you have them (however reluctantly, because they are terribly over-worked) on your side. (Because if anything goes wrong after you have 'put yourself in your Ambassadors hands' and your MP starts asking the Foreign Office how his/her constituent got into this bother, it means even more work for your Embassy and (horror of horrors) loss of face).

I expect the Embassy would advise doing what Dr Pat Pong says "Tell Immigration"---but it would be extra 'insurance' to be an earlier entry in the Embassy log.