1 Year On A Lifan

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem I see here is that the Ares 110 is a copy of the Wave. So in all likely hood it will perform and last exactly the same. time will tell.

To test a Chinese bike surely one would use a Chinese conceived, Chinese designed as well as Chinese manufactured bike.

But everyone needs a hobby.

Edited by VocalNeal

Hi Jeff, Im moving to Chiang Mai next year and initialy require a cheap enduro bike - (Platinum or Shineray)?. These "cheap" bikes seem to get better every year. How come so many kilometers? Look forward to your reports. N Jeffrey (JEFF) !

They hardly could get any worse, don't you think.smile.png

• Like 2

^average of 285 km a day you must live on your bike

It bikes, not bike. 4 times a month I do 1000 km days and a time or two a week I have to do 500km days. Tomorrow is a 500 km day, today was only 150 on the Ares, (100 on another)

10 hours solid on scooter, why would you not buy something bigger?

10 hours solid on scooter, why would you not buy something bigger?

Do you ever ride 10 hours solid ? is your tank big enough ? Could you even do that in a car with no potty break or something to eat ?

I drive, that's what I like, and if I can share with others what I find out so be it. Good and bad. The Lifan Ares 110 is my smallest bike, I do have others, and I like riding all kinds. If I had dozens of errands around town I would not take a big bike like a GS1150, or even my Ninja. However some times I do like doing back roads on the little bikes too. In my years of riding here, I find I get better reactions from the locals when I am on a small bike of the masses than a huge bike that cost more than they will make in their life time.

So twice a month my work has me down to Bangkok, Pattaya, or beyond, and nearly weekly up north to the boarder. Not always on a small bike, but not always on a large one either. My goal is 20,000 on this one to see how it stands up over time. Just taking my daughter to school and back each day is 50 km. That's 12,500 km alone just taking her to school and back. So it should be easy to do . . . bike willing

Edited by JeffreyMcCollum
  • Like 2

And jeffrey, thanks for your reports and courage

But people ride their bikes in different ways. I might like to ride it hard and another ride it soft. So if you ride your lifan on 40 kmh and stop for all potholes, it might last longer.

How will you measure this factor?

Edited by loserlazer

But people ride their bikes in different ways. I might like to ride it hard and another ride it soft. So if you ride your lifan on 40 kmh and stop for all potholes, it might last longer.

LOL, yes, non "Sissy Rides" please! Ride it hard like a man! No stops for potholes. 160kg are not enough. Please take your daughter, grandma and baby with on the bike for your next 1000km ride, so that its more than 200kg cheesy.gif

Some times I ride hard and some times just an easy cruise. Just like my Ninja. I am sure in 20,000 km it will be some of everything and more than most people would do in years on their bikes. In this year I will take it to Mae Sail, Mae Hong Son loop. Bangkok, Pattaya. etc. And so far it has been up Highway 1 @ 110 kph and Highway 11 at 100 Kph so I think if anything I will be harder than most on it. And if you really knew me, ex racer, I'm more Kamikaze than anything on a bike

Some times I ride hard and some times just an easy cruise. Just like my Ninja. I am sure in 20,000 km it will be some of everything and more than most people would do in years on their bikes. In this year I will take it to Mae Sail, Mae Hong Son loop. Bangkok, Pattaya. etc. And so far it has been up Highway 1 @ 110 kph and Highway 11 at 100 Kph so I think if anything I will be harder than most on it. And if you really knew me, ex racer, I'm more Kamikaze than anything on a bike

Cool then. Ride the hell out of it. Anyway it is only 29 k:lol: but be careful while doing it.

Inform us on your progress.

Good luck!

Edited by loserlazer

The Lifan Ares 110 has a 3.7 liter tank. (So they say) Gas gauge shows empty at about half a tank so today I waited. I figured about 170 - 180km per tank full range. At just over 150km it died on me. Lucky for me it was just after lunch and about 30m from my home. On another bike I went to the local PTT station and filled a little gas can with 3.7 liters exactly, (another story in itself) thinking it would fill it 100%. On it's center stand I could only put 3.2 liters in the tank. On it's side stand and with much shaking of the tank I could put up to 3.5 liters.

So something is a little off here or the tank is of poor design and 100% of it's capacity is unavalable

Well, I'm keeping an eye on the Lifan 200 Cross reports. But QC seem to be a major concern, also for their 250 cc V-twin (Yamaha Virago copy).

Jeff, when you sell your bike, how much do you reckon you will get for it @ 20,000 km and after 1 year? Good luck getting more than 11,000 Baht!

As the cold start accounts for some 95% of an engine's wear & tear, your long rides mean that the average abuse of very many very short rides is far tougher.

Enjoy your trips!

Chris

Well, I'm keeping an eye on the Lifan 200 Cross reports. But QC seem to be a major concern, also for their 250 cc V-twin (Yamaha Virago copy).

Jeff, when you sell your bike, how much do you reckon you will get for it @ 20,000 km and after 1 year? Good luck getting more than 11,000 Baht!

As the cold start accounts for some 95% of an engine's wear & tear, your long rides mean that the average abuse of very many very short rides is far tougher.

Enjoy your trips!

Chris

So far quality is very good, but time will tell all . . .

I was into my wave 50,000 and got 34,000 with 18,000 km on it so a 64% return. Purchasing the Ares at 29,000bt So if I get 18,500 it would be the same. Honestly Maybe 15,000 bt but again, time will tell

The bike takes my daughter to school and home again every day, 7-11 runs, to big C so I would say most of it will be short cold runs. But for a good test there will be some long ones too.

So far with a new tight engine the bike is averaging 51.2 kpl

Asked my wife who drives it from time to time, she say the seat is higher than the Wave and she does not like it as well because it is harder, the wave is soft. This is one of the reasons I like it. The wave bottomed out many times ans was like a Pogo stick This bike the shock are firm and Have not bottomed out yet.

Today for those in the north, I took it on the Somoeng Loop. A mini Mae Hong Son loop with constant twist and turns in the hills for about 100 km. I had a blast. Handled wonderful. Was riding with a new Click 125i Where the Ares was mostly ahead, it could use more power in some of the hills but does feel like it has more Torque than the Wave. But my guess was the Ares was quicker due to rider skill more than Bike ability

• Like 1

Today for those in the north, I took it on the Somoeng Loop. A mini Mae Hong Son loop with constant twist and turns in the hills for about 100 km.

I think I have been up there.

Is it the road that goes past Krisadadoi ?

Beautiful place.

The only thing is the Handong side going up seemed to

have a lot of loose stuff in the turns when I went.

although there were a lot of dump trucks that day

hauling. Maybe gets better further along?

http://www.panoramio.../photo/57062158

That Krisadadoi is a beautiful garden though

Edited by mania

Maybe my information is off, but one difference between this Lifan 110 engine and the Wave 110 engine seems to be the bore and stroke:

The honda is a long stroker at 55.6, with a narrow bore of 50 and a total displacement of 109.1cc, while the Lifan has a short stroke of 49.5 and a bigger bore of 52.4, for a total displacement a bit smaller at 106.72 (but presumably still large enough they feel validated in rounding it up to 110).

I've no idea if these differences would be noticable in such small bikes, but perhaps?

Maybe my information is off, but one difference between this Lifan 110 engine and the Wave 110 engine seems to be the bore and stroke:

The honda is a long stroker at 55.6, with a narrow bore of 50 and a total displacement of 109.1cc, while the Lifan has a short stroke of 49.5 and a bigger bore of 52.4, for a total displacement a bit smaller at 106.72 (but presumably still large enough they feel validated in rounding it up to 110).

I've no idea if these differences would be noticable in such small bikes, but perhaps?

The Lifan is a 109cc motor. I will find out the bore and stroke. But my guess is maybe yes as the Lifan has more torque than my wave by far and less top end

Good to hear your new ride is doing well for you Jeff

Thanks for the report

That is not too shabby speed wise for a 110

Our 2012 Wave does 100kph also but it is a 125FI

One note & not that it matters but some of the things you mentioned

on your Wave is no longer the same on newer Waves

The 2012 has no sidestand kill switch

Also can be started in any gear ( electric started I have not used the kicker )

Looking forward to your progress as you build kilometers even more.

Seems your Off to a good start though

Congrats

The Lifan is a 109cc motor. I will find out the bore and stroke. But my guess is maybe yes as the Lifan has more torque than my wave by far and less top end

Here are the specifications from Lifan's Thailand site: http://www.lifanth.com/en/products-a-services/lifan-motorcycle/cub/235--ares-110-cc-lf110-26h.html