Driving To Luang Prabang

DavidOxon

Posted this just a few days ago on the Chiang Rai forum in answer to the same question.

From gt-rider.com - how to take a Thai registered vehicle into Laos, what border crossings are OK and what documentation is needed:

http://www.gt-rider.com/touring-information-overview/s-e-asian-border-crossings

Don't be put off by the motorcycle vs. automobile aspect- same laws apply as far as I know.

Posted this just a few days ago on the Chiang Rai forum in answer to the same question.

From gt-rider.com - how to take a Thai registered vehicle into Laos, what border crossings are OK and what documentation is needed:

http://www.gt-rider....order-crossings

Don't be put off by the motorcycle vs. automobile aspect- same laws apply as far as I know.

DavidOxon, meet GT-Rider. clap2.gif

Sure it is possible, people have been doing it for years.

Correction, obviously I should have said why would you want to do it by car ? Details if you have them please,we would all like to know ,where do you cross and what is the distance from the border to Luang Prabang,road conditions ? etc.

Sure it is possible, people have been doing it for years.

Correction, obviously I should have said why would you want to do it by car ? Details if you have them please,we would all like to know ,where do you cross and what is the distance from the border to Luang Prabang,road conditions ? etc.

GT Rider provides all that information including detailed maps, distances, road conditions, where to eat and stay in a great book at a reasonable price.

One fact that I believe that might be of significance is that in Laos you drive on the right hand side of the road.

I am not at all certain I would want to drive my Thai car on the right. Was in China with a car and driver who

was operating under those conditions and it was most disconcerting particularly when he was trying to pass

a vehicle in front of him.