Shoplifting Russian Couple Nabbed At Tukcom

webfact

Shoplifting Russian Couple Nabbed At Tukcom

ru.jpg

A Russian couple was caught red-handed trying to steal a 300 THB cellphone cover at a Tukcom shop on south Pattaya road. The couple refused to pay for the phone cover and insisted they did not steal it. But after police were called, the couple paid a 3,000 THB fine to avoid arrest.

PATTAYA – January 22, 2013 [PDN]; at 9:15 p.m., a report of foreigners stealing property at a mobile phone shop at the Tukcom building was received by the Pattaya police station, which sent a police team to investigate. The incident occurred at a second-floor shop selling cellphones and iPads at the Tukcom Pattaya building on south Pattaya road.

At the scene, officers found Ms. Unreaun Phakadaeng, the shop owner, and other owners of nearby shops who had assisted to capture the two foreign trouble makers. They were identified as Ms. Okcaha Ryabova, age 40; and Mr. Sergey Ryabov, age 44, nationality Russian.

The shop owner showed police the stolen evidence of a black iPhone plastic cover, priced at 300 THB. Meanwhile the trouble-making wife was shouting in Russian that she did not steal any property from the store.

During questioning, the shop owner Ms. Unreaun said the Russian couple had asked to inspect an iPad tablet, and also an iPhone 4 cellphone protective cover on display in her shop. So she let the Russians inspect both items. They both asked about the price of the iPhone cover, which Ms. Unreaun said was 300 THB.

But after talking to each other for a while, the couple told her they didn’t want to buy it. The Russian husband then handed back the iPad to her and said he didn’t want it. But while Ms. Unreaun turned her back to return the iPad in the display case, the Russian couple stole the iPhone cover and walked away quickly.

Full story: http://www.pattayada...bbed-at-tukcom/

-- Pattaya Daily News 2013-01-23

footer_n.gif

Sounds dodgy to me. They dont look like they are desperate enough to steal a 300thb phone cover.

I would say there was confusion, the Thai (with his almost 0 social skills) knew only to resolve the situation by calling the police. Then, including the police they all shared the 3000 thb corruption fine.

Welcome to Pattaya !

Edited by rinteln
  • Like 1

Sounds dodgy to me. They dont look like they are desperate enough to steal a 300thb phone cover.

I would say there was confusion, the Thai (with his almost 0 social skills) knew only to resolve the situation by calling the police. Then, including the police they all shared the 3000 thb corruption fine.

Welcome to Pattaya !

Really??? They wanted the cover and were too stingy to pay for it, so they took it. So where exactly is the confusion here???

Well your question holds value if you believe that they did walk off with it. The reading between the lines of my comment is that i dont believe the story and i think it was simply a confusion which could not be resolved thus the police called. Two sets of people that dont speak hardly any English, mixed with high ignorance and the need for corruption. Sounds like the perfect mix for misunderstanding to me. This could quite easily of been a case of misunderstanding about the price, the Russians walking off thinking they had paid when the Thai thinks they havent paid enough. So this will result in the Thai pocketing the money and then claiming the Russians didnt pay at all. Then the Russians cant defend themselves because of no English.

The fact that i had to explain shows me you probably believe the media here in Pattaya.

Listen ive known of Pattaya media being paid off to change stories about fatal car accidents, let alone a small crime. This is easy !!

Edited by rinteln
  • Like 2

... the Thai (with his almost 0 social skills) knew only to resolve the situation by calling the police. ...

1. In my experience russians dont speak english well or at all. Why do you think you see signs in russian everywhere?

2. Thai's have _thai_ social skills. It's not their job to know russian or russian social skills.

3. Should they have fought with them? Then people would say "Why not be civilized and call the police".

I see russians that dont speak english raise their voice when trying to communicate with thais every day. I see the thais keep their cool most of times even though you can see in their eyes that they dispise the situation. That's just russian culture, like it or not. I bet that that's ok between russian, they understand it's not abusive.

Talking to friends that owns restaurants everyone claims that russians are the ones that try to skip paying the most. Is that something inbedded in russian culture? I dont know. But fact is fact. Are most russians like that, I doubt that.

• Like 2

... the Thai (with his almost 0 social skills) knew only to resolve the situation by calling the police. ...

1. In my experience russians dont speak english well or at all. Why do you think you see signs in russian everywhere?

2. Thai's have _thai_ social skills. It's not their job to know russian or russian social skills.

3. Should they have fought with them? Then people would say "Why not be civilized and call the police".

I see russians that dont speak english raise their voice when trying to communicate with thais every day. I see the thais keep their cool most of times even though you can see in their eyes that they dispise the situation. That's just russian culture, like it or not. I bet that that's ok between russian, they understand it's not abusive.

Talking to friends that owns restaurants everyone claims that russians are the ones that try to skip paying the most. Is that something inbedded in russian culture? I dont know. But fact is fact. Are most russians like that, I doubt that.

Ill answer your points :

1. Looks like we agree then........what's your point ?!!

2. In my comment I said "almost 0 social skills" and did not associated it with any language or culture. In general Thai people are not good with difficult and problem solving situations. I only need to explain that if you haven't been here for a while.

3. No they shouldn't fight, they should learn how to negotiate properly and starting gaining some problem solving skills. In any developed country we don't call the police every time we have an everyday disagreement.

The rest of your comment just seems to be highlighting fact so I dont know your opinion.

Edited by rinteln

I am Estonian myself and I have been living in my country occupied by the Russians for 40 years. I would say it is pretty likely that some of them will try to steal something worth 300 Baht. Although not all of them or course. I have many civilized Russian friends too. But they are generally poor people and trying to save money in this way is not uncommon. I speak fluent russian myself and I do understand very well what they talk to each other in the shops. ;)

Just by looking at this photo I can not say for sure, if they did it or not. It is more likely to me that they did but not 100%.

• Like 2

Really??? They wanted the cover and were too stingy to pay for it, so they took it. So where exactly is the confusion here???

Well your question holds value if you believe that they did walk off with it. The reading between the lines of my comment is that i dont believe the story and i think it was simply a confusion which could not be resolved thus the police called. Two sets of people that dont speak hardly any English, mixed with high ignorance and the need for corruption. Sounds like the perfect mix for misunderstanding to me. This could quite easily of been a case of misunderstanding about the price, the Russians walking off thinking they had paid when the Thai thinks they havent paid enough. So this will result in the Thai pocketing the money and then claiming the Russians didnt pay at all. Then the Russians cant defend themselves because of no English.

The fact that i had to explain shows me you probably believe the media here in Pattaya.

Listen ive known of Pattaya media being paid off to change stories about fatal car accidents, let alone a small crime. This is easy !!

You do have a very fertile imagination don't you? giggle.gif

" think it was simply a confusion "

what is so confusing about walking away in possession of something you haven't paid for?

" walking off thinking they had paid "

yes but in the real world just thinking you have paid for something is no defence?blink.png

" Thai thinks they havent paid enough "

if you read the article there is no mention whatsoever that the Russian couple paid for anything, so there was no question of them " not paying enough "?ermm.gif

Edited by Asiantravel
  • Like 1

what is so confusing about walking away in possession of something you haven't paid for?

yes but in the real world just thinking you have paid for something is no defence?blink.png

if you read the article there is no mention whatsoever that the Russian couple paid for anything, so there was no question of them " not paying enough "?ermm.gif

Again as with other posters you base your whole argument on the media story being reported correctly. In fact your so confident its true you also think you look clever by mocking me.

Anyone who has been in Pattaya long enough will know that like everything else the media can and are paid off. I have experienced this directly when i saw for my own eyes a German run over and kill my friend and then the next morning it was reported as being an accident involving a Thai lady driver. So if you change the reporting of a death then an incident in Tukcom is nothing.

My exact theories as to what may of happened dont matter, my point is it could of quite easily been a different story and anyone who has been here long enough will know that.

So to answer your first insult to me. I would rather have a "fertile imagination" than be gullible and naive.

Edited by rinteln

Again as with other posters you base your whole argument on the media story being reported correctly. In fact your so confident its true you also think you look clever by mocking me.

Anyone who has been in Pattaya long enough will know that like everything else the media can and are paid off. I have experienced this directly when i saw for my own eyes a German run over and kill my friend and then the next morning it was reported as being an accident involving a Thai lady driver. So if you change the reporting of a death then an incident in Tukcom is nothing.

My exact theories as to what may of happened dont matter, my point is it could of quite easily been a different story and anyone who has been here long enough will know that.

So to answer your first insult to me. I would rather have a "fertile imagination" than be gullible and naive.

If they were in possession of an item they hadn't paid for and they had walked away from the location of the vendor while still in possession of that item ( which is why owners of nearby shops had assisted to capture them ) that is just as easy to believe as you suggesting it's all a concocted story?

I'm sure the telephone accessory dealers in the shopping Plaza have far better things to do than to deliberately frame a couple for a 300 baht item?

Would a couple of Russians steal something only worth 300 Bt? I was in a small family owned and run Thai restaurant where two Russians were eating and drinking. They disputed their measly bill as it included two more beers than they said they had drunk. Only four empty bottles on the table and they were charged for 6. To try and save 80 Bt they had hidden two empty bottles behind a plant pot.

• Like 1

That's just a little suspicious. Who the hell would steal a 300 baht Iphone cover?!

Who the hell would pay a 3000bt fine if they were innocent? Even more suspicious.cheesy.gif

Someone who is scared sh*tless, cant speak English and knows they wouldnt even win if they were right I would say is a good candidate.

That's just a little suspicious. Who the hell would steal a 300 baht Iphone cover?!

Who the hell would pay a 3000bt fine if they were innocent? Even more suspicious.cheesy.gif

Someone who is scared sh*tless, cant speak English and knows they wouldnt even win if they were right I would say is a good candidate.

Their English was evidently good enough to be able to converse quite adequately with the shop owner Ms. Unreaun?

Edited by Asiantravel

Their English was evidently good enough to be able to converse quite adequately with the shop owner Ms. Unreaun?

Perhaps but you wouldn't need much English would you. Especially when everything is price labelled. Plus we don't know how much of a conversation there was.

You mention 'Russian social skills', Is that what's known as an oxymoron?

Best we saw was on Monday night about 7:15pm on second road when a Russian Couple in front of us on the way to Dicey reillys,walked past a Suitcase display the wife took one at the front they then both headed across the street with the plastic cover still on it (Full Size case) & the stall owners did not even notice.

It was so quick it was obviously rehearsed.

But , I then remembered I am a Tourist here. We kept going But it was very Slick

Any where else my action would have been different ,but it's Pattaya isn't it. Mind your own biz.

ph34r.png

• Like 1

My feelings exactly, after reading about half the responses - I asked myself, "Why am I reading this quibble " Its simple, they didn't like the price of the iPad, so they tried to teach the shop owner a lesson by stealing the iPhone cover - or - the owner didn't like the way they treated him/her so called the police after the other shop person hung up the iPhone cover and "discovered it missing" simple - of course the 3000 baht fine was shared by both the police and the shop owner to "smooth" things over and not press charges.......the tourists(?) guilty or not went on their merry way........life is simple in LOS.

Oh, before I forget, This very same scam was tried on me at Savarnibum Airport in May last year - I was stopped by a shop clerk for "Stealing a Perfume" I asked her to show me the perfume and where had stolen it from, she brought it out from my basket - the "Airport Police" were called and asked me in good english when my flight was - two hrs away, they told me if I wanted to make my flight it would cost 25,000 baht or I would go to the jail. Sloppy policeman was wearing a AC/DC T-Shirt under his uniform and had hair to his collar, I showed him my Diplomatic Passport and then they were 'oh so apologitic' - I called the Airport police myself on my cell they came heard my story, and walked off with the two in cuffs........on my return trip, I stopped in the shop but neither one was working there so I suppose they were nicked off to jail, hopefully.clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif