Thai Democrats Sue D S I Chief, Top Officials For Abuse Of Authority

webfact

Democrats sue DSI chief, top officials for abuse of authority

By English News

a.jpg

BANGKOK, Jan 24 – Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva and his deputy Suthep Thaugsuban filed a lawsuit against five senior officials of the Department of Special Investigation (DSI) for abusing their power and falsely imposing charges against them in connection with the 2010 political upheaval in Bangkok.

Lawyer Bundith Siriphan represented the plaintiffs in submitting the lawsuit on Wednesday, charging DSI Director General Tarit Pengdith and four other officials with breaching Articles 157 and 200 of the Criminal Code.

Mr Tarit and his DSI associates were accused of unlawfully charging Mr Abhisit and Mr Suthep with initiating the murders of people during the political disorders when they, in fact, carried out their duty under the emergency decree.

Mr Abhisit said he would wait to see if the court will accept the case for trial while he and the Democrat MP from Surat Thani are ready to testify.

The former prime minister said he is not worried about possible interference by the United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship (the Red Shirts) during the Democrat Party’s political rally in the northeastern province of Nakhon Ratchasima this Saturday. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2013-01-24

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Excuse my ignorance of the name, but one retired US general once said that the whole idea of the comedy is that it does not have an ending.

Thai politics is something of a comedy or parody of a comedy, there never is an ending.

However i do agree with this law suit, and do believe that DSI abused its power either intentionally or through pressure or directive from else where

• Like 1

Tarit was appointed by the Democrats during their time in Office. It seems now he wants to keep his job and is doing everything the ruling party wants him to do, I do hope that Aphisit wins this case and that Tarit opens his mouth and explains who pressurized him and with what.

• Like 2

Tarit was appointed by the Democrats during their time in Office. It seems now he wants to keep his job and is doing everything the ruling party wants him to do, I do hope that Aphisit wins this case and that Tarit opens his mouth and explains who pressurized him and with what.

Justice does not have a political flavor. Not even in Thailand. To accuse one of your own party's appointmented of malfeasance in the execution of his duties is an example of the irrationality of the Yellow shirt movement ideals. As for Abhisit complaining that his pendingrial(s) are unfair and prejudiced remember that he never thought of his victims when he run 'rough shod' over Thai law which he as Prime Minister should have upheld.
  • Like 1

2010 POLITICAL MAYHEM

Abhisit, Suthep file lawsuit against DSI chief and officials

The Nation

30198565-01_big.JPG

File photo : Tarit

BANGKOK: -- Former prime minister Abhisit Vejjajiva and former deputy PM Suthep Thaugsuban on Thursday filed a lawsuit against the chief of the Department of Special Investigation and three other officials

Abhisit, the Democrat leader, and Suthep assigned lawyer Banthit Siriphan to file the lawsuit against DSI chief Tarit Pengdit and three other DSI officials with the Criminal Court in relation to the DSI bringing murder charges against the two senior Democrats.

The three other DSI officials are Pol Lt Col Wannapong Kacharak, Pol Maj Yutthana Praedam and Pol Captain Piya Raksakul.

The lawsuit alleges that Tarit and the three DSI investigators have abused their authority to persecute the two Democrats in violation of Articles 83, 90, 157 and 200 of the Penal Code.

The lawsuit states that DSI chief and officials brought charges against Abhisit and Suthep for collaborating to have others commit murders with foreseen results, even though the two were simply implementing the emergency decree to restore peace and order and to prevent the unlawful demonstrations of the red shirts from affecting the national economy and stability.

The lawsuit also states that Tarit and the DSI officials realised that the redshirt demonstrations were unlawful and were acts of terrorism but they still brought the charges against Abhisit and Suthep.

The court has scheduled April 29 for deliberating whether to proceed with the lawsuit or not.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-01-24

Hi All.

Did not Dpm Cherlerm and the Police chief hide behind the Emergency Decree when putting 50.000 police on the streets of Bangkok,and firing tear gas at the innocent at Gen Boonlert rally. Yea for Red Democracy.

phupaman.

And didn't show up to face HRW when invited to explain the handling of the protest. 100 arrests when the rally was on for only 3 hours!!!!

Edited by Nickymaster

If I understand correctly Tarit was on the committee that recomended the actions to be taken against the red rioters.

If this is indeed true then he must have had prior knowledge and inside information on all the actions taken to uphold the law.

The minutes of the meetings of that committee should show if he voted for or against actions to be taken.

If he voted in favour then surely he is just as guilty of anything he charges Khun A & S with.

Justice does not have a political flavor. Not even in Thailand. To accuse one of your own party's appointmented of malfeasance in the execution of his duties is an example of the irrationality of the Yellow shirt movement ideals. As for Abhisit complaining that his pendingrial(s) are unfair and prejudiced remember that he never thought of his victims when he run 'rough shod' over Thai law which he as Prime Minister should have upheld.

Which laws did Abhisit "run 'rough shod' over"?

Wasn't he upholding the law that armed rioters are not allowed to roam the streets?

Yes. This has nothing to do with the yellow shirt 'ideals' whatever they are.

It was Thaksin - the organiser-in-chief - who knew what would happen when the police disappeared & didn't care who he was sacrificing, especially by having an armed group to start the shooting.

By the way, Chalerm chairs the DSI so it's not too difficult to work out who is pulling Tarit's strings.

If I understand correctly Tarit was on the committee that recomended the actions to be taken against the red rioters.

If this is indeed true then he must have had prior knowledge and inside information on all the actions taken to uphold the law.

The minutes of the meetings of that committee should show if he voted for or against actions to be taken.

If he voted in favour then surely he is just as guilty of anything he charges Khun A & S with.

Not sure whether he got to vote at any stage, but as far as supporting the action that was taken is concerned, he states that he was aware of the plans to use live ammunition against protesters, but disagreed with them. It strikes me that if you are a member of a group that makes a decision like ordering stationery in a new shade, you can oppose the decision, but accept it and carry on working without any great ethical or legal concerns. If on the other hand, the decision is not about ordering stationery, but about ordering people be killed, as Tarit alleges was the case, one would have thought that simply accepting the decision, and carrying on working as a member of that group, might have been tricky for anyone with a conscience.

Unless of course he never opposed the decision at the time, and is purely saying now that he did, to try and distance himself from those he worked along side with and those he now attempts to prosecute.... surely not.

Not sure whether he got to vote at any stage, but as far as supporting the action that was taken is concerned, he states that he was aware of the plans to use live ammunition against protesters, but disagreed with them. It strikes me that if you are a member of a group that makes a decision like ordering stationery in a new shade, you can oppose the decision, but accept it and carry on working without any great ethical or legal concerns. If on the other hand, the decision is not about ordering stationery, but about ordering people be killed, as Tarit alleges was the case, one would have thought that simply accepting the decision, and carrying on working as a member of that group, might have been tricky for anyone with a conscience.

Unless of course he never opposed the decision at the time, and is purely saying now that he did, to try and distance himself from those he worked along side with and those he now attempts to prosecute.... surely not.

The other possibility is that he hasn't got a conscience.

• Like 1

According to some local print media, Tarit has something to hide from his time in the US. Rumors of a single dirty deed impacting his rise through the ranks at one point. Perhaps, things such as this could be used to control him.

Wasn't he upholding the law that armed rioters are not allowed to roam the streets?

Spot on!!

I think that Thaksin's killing of 1,400 innocent Thai citizens in his infamous "get drugs off the street" campaign is a darned sight more serious than a prime minister trying to quell an illegal gathering, especially after he promised to call an election on November of that year if the protesters dispersed peacefully only for the red shirt leaders to walk away from this offer!!!

"Thawil said DSI chief Tarit Pengdit could not escape responsibility either, because Tarit was also on the CRES panel"

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/CRES-was-simply-maintaining-law-and-order-in-2010--30196060.html

"Thawil said DSI chief Tarit Pengdit could not escape responsibility either, because Tarit was also on the CRES panel"

http://www.nationmul...--30196060.html

Surely Tarit must have known the risks he took in bringing the charges in the first place.

Or is he counting on the charges being thrown out by a court in order to clear himself?

Whatever, the rewards must be great or if they have something on him it must be very serious.

Spot on!!

I think that Thaksin's killing of 1,400 innocent Thai citizens in his infamous "get drugs off the street" campaign is a darned sight more serious than a prime minister trying to quell an illegal gathering, especially after he promised to call an election on November of that year if the protesters dispersed peacefully only for the red shirt leaders to walk away from this offer!!!

Without saying the extra-judicial killings were justified, I have to ask how you came to the conclusion that all 1,400 killed were "innocent Thai citizens". Unless of course you consider drug dealers to be innocent. I would agree that the redshirts made a very bad decision not to accept the offer, although given his loose relationship with the truth, they may not have believed his sincerity. Nevertheless, that doesn't seem to justify killing someone.
  • Like 2

I would agree that the redshirts made a very bad decision not to accept the offer, although given his loose relationship with the truth, they may not have believed his sincerity. Nevertheless, that doesn't seem to justify killing someone.

They weren't killed for not accepting the offer, they were killed for participating in a violent insurgency that they could have, and certainly should have, stepped away from, the moment they noticed armed men moving around freely amongst them, the moment their leaders were standing up on stage calling for acts of violence, the moment the government brought in buses and pleaded with them to leave. Stepping away is what any peace minded protester would have done, both on a matter of principle and on a matter of personal safety.

• Like 1

Without saying the extra-judicial killings were justified, I have to ask how you came to the conclusion that all 1,400 killed were "innocent Thai citizens". Unless of course you consider drug dealers to be innocent.

<snip>

In the first three months of the campaign there were some 2800 extrajudicial killings. In 2007, an official investigation found that more than half of those killed had no connection whatsoever to drugs.

http://www.hrw.org/news/2008/03/12/thailand-s-war-drugs

• Like 1

http://www.nationmul...--30196060.html

If Tarit was selected by the Dems and now he works for Thaksin..its only reasonable to conclude that Thaksin knows exactly what went on at the CRES meetings, who was present and who gave what orders.Thats why Mark and mate are being charged with unlawful killings because they signed off on the deal.In return as with top army officers, Tarit will escape prosecution. Thaksin stitches them up again

Edited by backtonormal
  • Like 1

Without saying the extra-judicial killings were justified, I have to ask how you came to the conclusion that all 1,400 killed were "innocent Thai citizens". Unless of course you consider drug dealers to be innocent.

<snip>

In the first three months of the campaign there were some 2800 extrajudicial killings. In 2007, an official investigation found that more than half of those killed had no connection whatsoever to drugs.

http://www.hrw.org/n...and-s-war-drugs

Common place to redirect a thread onto the bogeyman when your own man is a dead man walking

<snip>

Common place to redirect a thread onto the bogeyman when your own man is a dead man walking

I didn't realise Abhisit was 'gatorsoft's man.

<snip>

Did Thaksin give orders to shoot to kill..we dont know lets invetigate. Funny how the dems did not bring those extra judicial killings to court when they controlled them. Thaksins to smart for anybody to pin that on him. On the other hand 'unsmart mark' is where the buck may stop