Yingluck On Rapidly Appreciating Baht: Don't Panic

webfact

Strong baht has Thai politicians, business owners spooked

By Coconuts Bangkok

yi.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The baht has posted a remarkable rally during the past month, pushing Thai business owners and politicians into a state of panic about the possibility of harm being done to Thai exporters.

According to data released by the Bangkok Post, when the local currency markets closed yesterday, Thailand’s currency was trading at THB29.77 to USD1. Compare this with one year ago, when USD1 would buy you THB31.36.

This surge in the baht’s value has caused Thai officials and business owners to worry about the future of Thai exports and the fate of foreign direct investment within the country.

In a statement following a meeting with Finance Minister Kittiratt [more...]

Full story: http://www.coconutsb...owners-spooked/

-- COCONUTS Bangkok 2013-01-24

footer_n.gif

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No mention of the impact on tourism - oops - forgot - nothing ever impacts Thai tourism

More expensive to holiday in Thailand, The "TOURISTS" are going to love it, they will be flocking in record numbers. You mark my word lad, just wait until T.A.T release thier media report tomorrow stating that this is just the thing that tourists have been waiting for.
  • Like 1

That will be nice comfort, that the PM will keep people informed!

That was my first thought. I don't really know if this is going to be a problem for the kingdom in the longer term or not but it seems a bit different from the approach taken when there was concern about the downturn in Europe and the effect that would have on Thai exports and therefore its economy. Then it was a case of don't worry as we have plans to deal with that problem. Now it's a case of we will tell you about the problems. That seems to suggest they have no idea or no intention of doing anything about it.

This isn't so much of a problem if they're planning on the economy growing though domestic consumption although if inflation grows that may be more difficult. It will be better if you need to import a lot as well but that may not be so good for the Thai economy.

From my own point of view it's bad as ~I will be needing to move money from the UK very soon.

That was my first thought. I don't really know if this is going to be a problem for the kingdom in the longer term or not but it seems a bit different from the approach taken when there was concern about the downturn in Europe and the effect that would have on Thai exports and therefore its economy. Then it was a case of don't worry as we have plans to deal with that problem. Now it's a case of we will tell you about the problems. That seems to suggest they have no idea or no intention of doing anything about it.

This isn't so much of a problem if they're planning on the economy growing though domestic consumption although if inflation grows that may be more difficult. It will be better if you need to import a lot as well but that may not be so good for the Thai economy.

From my own point of view it's bad as ~I will be needing to move money from the UK very soon.

They will have to cut interest rates here soon.

Thailand's losing the race to the bottom... 555+

Thailand is losing FACE to the bottom, or shall I say Rice SCHEEEEEEEEME and Wage HIIIIIKE, MEGA PROJECTS = MEGABULLSH*******TTTTcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

Edited by MaxLee

Nope, make the rice even more expensive.

BTW nice ear-rings, wonder if she's got a matching necklace.

I am sure she's had a pearl necklace to go with them.whistling.gif

Naughty, naughty. But seriously, is there another PM in the world who even gets close? I don't care if I'm being sexist, she's a looker.

I agree, she is a looker.

CCFC1

No mention of the impact on tourism - oops - forgot - nothing ever impacts Thai tourism

More expensive to holiday in Thailand, The "TOURISTS" are going to love it, they will be flocking in record numbers. You mark my word lad, just wait until T.A.T release thier media report tomorrow stating that this is just the thing that tourists have been waiting for.

Thailand is still incredibly cheap for tourists. I can't see many swapping Thailand for another country. So what if a holiday costs 5% extra. Makes no difference to the vast majority. Tourists numbers are way up on 10 years ago despite the baht being much stronger against lost of currencies. It hasn't stopped the tourists coming.

• Like 1

They will have to cut interest rates here soon.

That's a possibility I suppose. It might make it easier for those who have stretched themselves buying a new car under the tax rebate scheme. Or any other borrowing as well to be honest.

Completely agree. The hordes of Russians who have taken over Pattaya seem to be ordinary people who have no problem with the orices at all. Western geezers wll have to move to Csmbodia, where flesh is reportedly still cheap!:)

No loss fod Thailand, frankly - all the Russians want to do is go to the beach, shop till they drop, and drink themselves into oblivion. They have their domestic flesh trade . :)

Thailand is still incredibly cheap for tourists. I can't see many swapping Thailand for another country. So what if a holiday costs 5% extra. Makes no difference to the vast majority. Tourists numbers are way up on 10 years ago despite the baht being much stronger against lost of currencies. It hasn't stopped the tourists coming.