British Man Claims Bt100,000 Left In Bangkok Taxi

webfact

On my last trip (Jan/April, 2011) - I walked away from Starbucks (just off Silom on Convent) and was looking for my BTS pass when I realized I didn't have my wallet - so I backtracked and asked the servers at Starbucks if they had found it - the manager had it in the office. I offered the servers the baht that was in it but they refused so I left it in the tip jar. There was maybe 500 baht plus passport copy and BTS pass, so the loss would have been minimal. I was ashamed of my first cynical thought which was.... "well some #@$%* gets to ride the BTS on my dime!"

I am a confirmed cynical pessimist; yet I become overjoyed when encountering humble human beings who prove me wrong! Who knows, I may eventually become a pessimistic optimist.

How about an realistic optimist ... it feels better.

People ought to be more aware and tuned in when they are carrying valuables in public transportation. This guy is very luck, and the cab driver is a rarity. Happy ending but most events like this are not happy endings.

The cab driver is not a rarity at all. There are plenty of honest cab drivers.

There are plenty of honest people in all kinds of jobs apart from politics.
  • Like 1

you see!! to all Thai disposers on tvn, there are still good thais as well as the other types

While there are indeed many despicable Thais ... as with any country ... in the past thirty years I've experienced far more good Thais than bad ones.

True, except on the roads, but then again, maybe most Thai drivers and motorbike riders are good but just plain stupid.

Bringing $100,000 in cash into Burma is interesting thing to do. I wonder if he would declare it to the authorities.

100,000 Baht, let's not get carried away. If was $100,000 I have a feeling the story would be very different.

For a 100,000 I'm not sure that I'd want my photo plastered all other the place as the "old fart who forgot his money".

Edited by dave111223

Bringing $100,000 in cash into Burma is interesting thing to do. I wonder if he would declare it to the authorities.

100,000 Baht, let's not get carried away. If was $100,000 I have a feeling the story would be very different.

For a 100,000 I'm not sure that I'd want my photo plastered all other the place as the "old fart who forgot his money".

Ooops! Yes... THB100,000 it was

How nice to real a story with a Happy Ending, after murders, suicides, car accidents, drug arrests, etc etc. I too hope he was given a reward for his honesty.

I normally stay off Asoke, and often go to the 30's for dinner with friends, especially on 33. I would really like to come accross this guy, and catch his taxi, just to say thanks for being a good person.

A few years ago whilst heading to the local 7 for some pills (I had a sore throat from the head, I had just arrived back to Thailand) I was attacked by a ya ba crazed prostitute who took offense when I refused to allow her to accompany me back to my room, and it was a taxi driver who told me to get into the taxi, locked my doors, and threatened to make her stop if she did not walk away.

Some of Bangkoks finest, who would be Police officers or any other range of better roles anywhere else, are Taxi drivers in Thailand. The class system is the killer of the nation.

you see!! to all Thai disposers on tvn, there are still good thais as well as the other types

Absolutely! And we give them both the attention they attract/deserve. Too bad the good get less press.

Edited by Dap