Waiver Of 2 Year Waiting For Australian Permanent Visa

As I understand it, when you apply for a spouse visa to Australia the form allows you to apply for a temporary visa and a permanent visa but you will not be assessed for a permanent visa until you have resided in Australia for two years.

There are some exceptions to this and if you have been in the relationship for more than two years and have a dependant child as a result of the relationship the two year qualifying may be waived.

We are in this category and I just wondered if anybody has experience of how this waiver operates any difficulties we might experience or tips we can learn from.

Thanks

Jeremy

That's the way it's supposed to work as described on page 33 of the "Partner Migration Booklet" best thing to do would be apply and find out, DIMA can be described as a strange department at best just look who the minister in charge is.

Good luck anyway

I wouldn’t be too concerned if you can’t get the waiver. The transition between Temporary to Permanent Residence is not hard, you can nominate the location where it is done be it in an Australian city or the Embassy here. We did it in Perth, interview in the morning and new visas in the afternoon. Because we had spent most of the 2 years here in Thailand the hardest thing we had to do was obtain another Thai police certificate, we know how easy that is.

I wouldnt be concerned about it either....

As a temporary resident she can do most things that a permanant resident can.

the only things that spring to mind are welfare benefits and the need for a police check if you visit LOS.

Dont forget to make use of the 500 hours of free tuition, not only for English lessons and also Citizenship as well.

the only things that spring to mind are welfare benefits and the need for a police check if you visit LOS.

Dont forget to make use of the 500 hours of free tuition, not only for English lessons and also Citizenship as well.

As far as I know on a temp visa you can travel to and from without character checks.

Social security is a no no....but they can claim medicare benefits.