Tobacco Farming

Dancealot

If not tried now you can test the Neem-Tree - Sadao in Thai.

If you can get, best is Oil to spray.

I used Neem when planting, but the rests left over after pressing the oil out. They still contain a lot of "ugly taste" and get mixed into the soil around every plant. Usual biting or sucking insects just stay away after the first try bah.gif

Agreed great stuff. The biggest problem is finding neem trees that have not been pillaged for human consumption.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed great stuff. The biggest problem is finding neem trees that have not been pillaged for human consumption.

The Oil should be available in the shops and if you find a tree anywhere in a garden, ask for a cut-ling. They grow pretty fast!

Bye,

Derk

The Oil should be available in the shops and if you find a tree anywhere in a garden, ask for a cut-ling. They grow pretty fast!

Bye,

Derk

So the oil is a natural bug deterrent and could be considered as the most 'safe' ?

Sorry the thread got mixed up so i am trying to re-comprehend it all and get back on track.

Thanksthumbsup.gif

Edited by Dancealot
  • Like 1

So the oil is a natural bug deterrent and could be considered as the most 'safe' ?

The most convenient to use I would say.

And it also works for insects which chew on tobacco so which are not affected by tobacco (nicotine) liquids.

Bye,

Derk

The most convenient to use I would say.

And it also works for insects which chew on tobacco so which are not affected by tobacco (nicotine) liquids.

Bye,

Derk

Any bug nor caterpillar like to chew on tobacco leaves. So i understand they are not affected...

So what is the purpose of the oil?wai2.gif

The oil (or if available you can also use the pressing rests of the seeds after producing the oil and use them in the soil around the plants) has substances which will be taken up by the plant and make it taste bad to insects. There is no effect to humans - I usually use this for my chilies.

So it's 100% natural and as this plant is also used by humans (they take the leaves and bark and soak it in water than drink the water - heavily bitter) since ages.

Bye,

Derk

• Like 1

Does it make vegetables bitter also ?

The oil (or if available you can also use the pressing rests of the seeds after producing the oil and use them in the soil around the plants) has substances which will be taken up by the plant and make it taste bad to insects. There is no effect to humans - I usually use this for my chilies.

So it's 100% natural and as this plant is also used by humans (they take the leaves and bark and soak it in water than drink the water - heavily bitter) since ages.

Bye,

Derk

Pesticides are added while the leaves remain young. When they are big and old the farmers say it doesn't work anymore..

This is true for systemic working pesticides. They got taken up by the plant and remain in the cells protecting.

The other pesticides are the contact ones which are sprayed and only last for some days.

Bye,

Derk

Pesticides are added while the leaves remain young. When they are big and old the farmers say it doesn't work anymore..

This is true for systemic working pesticides. They got taken up by the plant and remain in the cells protecting.

The other pesticides are the contact ones which are sprayed and only last for some days.

Bye,

Derk

Ahaaa wai2.gif

Thought the bugs did not like it ?

I was not clear, i am sorry. Putting pesticides on old tobacco plants has no extra effect, they say.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I do not smoke, but I would like to grow a few tobacco plants to spread around ther base of trees and vegetable beds as insecticide. Any idea where/how to find seeds/seedlings? I have ask local nurseries here in Chiang Mai and nobody seems to know.

Perhaps try the Tobacco Research Establishment, a few hundred meters North of Mae-Jo, on the left as you drive North ? Or local seed-providers in the Chiang Mai & Mae-Jo areas ?

Adding the fertilizer pics from yesterday

attachicon.gifyuipic2013 012.jpgattachicon.gifyuipic2013 015.jpg

This fertilizer hurts the hands...sad.png

I once saw an old lady, using a 'dibber' to make a 4-inch-deep hole, then dropping the small amount of fertiliser in.

Seemed a sensible way to get it near to the roots of the growing plant, and save on money, whatever you're growing ?

Two last points, I've seen enclosed curing-sheds in the Chiang-Saen area of Chiang Rai province, and believe they're used for smoke-drying tobacco, although I was there at the wrong season, so didn't actually see it taking place.

There are also tobacco-growing areas along the Chiang Rai to Mae Sai road, and some old disused TTM (Thai Tobacco Monopoly) buildings, I suspect that less is grown nowadays than formerly ?

And the Opium Museum, across the road from the Mekong at the Golden-Triangle photo-opportunity spot, also covers tobacco-growing, as the 'Golden' apparently also applies to the profitable-crop of tobacco, as well as opium itself. Dipping my hand into a tray of 'cut-rag' released the fragrance and brought back a lot of memories !

Edited by Ricardo
  • Like 1

I do not smoke, but I would like to grow a few tobacco plants to spread around ther base of trees and vegetable beds as insecticide. Any idea where/how to find seeds/seedlings? I have ask local nurseries here in Chiang Mai and nobody seems to know.

Perhaps try the Tobacco Research Establishment, a few hundred meters North of Mae-Jo, on the left as you drive North ? Or local seed-providers in the Chiang Mai & Mae-Jo areas ?

Driving past there today, I noticed several small plots of part-harvested tobacco going-to-seed, in the field behind the truck-weighing station which is across the main road from the Research place, just North of Mae-Jo.

• 1 month later...

One thing that surprises me in LOS is the lack of "value added" thinking. Farmers seem to grow things to sell to someone else who then makes most of the profit. I do see some small farmers sell their products directly to the public if they grow smaller quantities.

The people who make the money are the tobacco companies who buy the tobacco, not the growers. So I wonder if it is legal to prepare the tobacco and sell it to those who chew or roll their own, or to a merchant who has such a shop? Probably not? Probably those people have the legal part sewn up?

On the ranch where I grew up we would never have even considered selling alfalfa hay to a rancher or a dairy. We fed it to our own cattle and sold them. We butchered a lot and sold meat by the 1/2 or whole steer to private parties for much more than the wholesalers would pay on the hoof.

We made lot of money selling prime breeding stock. When selling a prized bull the value of a pound of meat goes out the window and the value is in what the bull can produce in high quality cattle. I remember selling a bull 30 years ago for $US15,000. We could get $500 just to let someone drop off a prized breeding cow for the bull to breed with. Developing a strain of cattle that would put on the most weight in the shortest amount of time with the least feed was a business all to itself. People would pay a lot of money for a bull or a cow that had those genetic traits.

So on the surface it looked like we grew wheat and alfalfa and raised cattle. But if that's truly all we did, and wholesaled everything, we wouldn't have made much money.

Many farmers don't have transport and are not very saavy about creating and marketing new products. OTOP also works so that a huge group grows the same thing and buyers come to purchase it or it all gets carted out to one distribution point. Makes it easier for growers to get products to market, but also tends to produce the worst prices fir them and value added again, because of scant margains impossible.

Had a friend once, she had about 20rai fruit trees. Stuff often rotted for many reasons. I tbought, why not at least collect the fruit yourselves, dry it and can it! Nope.

Awesome photos and farm!

• 10 months later...