Rule Of Law Commission Pushes For Thai Amnesty Bill

webfact

no but right at the start, eh?

you got this cute li'l confused icon up there for some reason? like not understanding how it might be possible to offer amnesty to the Thai people who protested against military imposed governments but not give amnesty to the same governments when they abused the rights of or just plain killed those same citizens.

doesnt sound too hard to understand to me.

Right. So amnesty for those charged for protesting from September 19 2006 to the elections in December 2007.

Not sure why they're talking about going up until 2011 then.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You really are naive Buchholz if you think governments are truly impartial, yet you appear to expect this in Thailand, you appear to think this trend of exterior influence that has abounded for tens of years in Thailand will suddenly come to an abrupt halt under the Yingluck regime I admire your optimism......dream on

You really are naive Buchholz if you think governments are truly impartial, yet you appear to expect this in Thailand, you appear to think this trend of exterior influence that has abounded for tens of years in Thailand will suddenly come to an abrupt halt under the Yingluck regime I admire your optimism......dream on

Let's get the terminology right - the Taksin regime with Yingluck as the figurehead (a Trojan horse if ever there was one).

Having established that, it is clear why there will never be an impartial government in Thailand. The manipulation of the unsophisticated electorate in the North of the country will always distort 'democracy' in Thailand.

If the country had the same hymn sheet it would be something, but when factions are so opposed as they are in Thailand, attempts to impose reconciliation will fail - IMHO.

I don't think the Government can just expect to tell the Red and Yellow factions to kiss and make up.

Mind you, their attempts make great (international) headlines.

When you appoint violent criminals as MPs in your government, in so doing help them to avoid prosecution, and pay the bail for convicted arsonists with government ministers offering personal sureties, do you think that you influencing people not to be violent?

Let's get the terminology right - the Taksin regime with Yingluck as the figurehead (a Trojan horse if ever there was one).

Having established that, it is clear why there will never be an impartial government in Thailand. The manipulation of the unsophisticated electorate in the North of the country will always distort 'democracy' in Thailand.

If the country had the same hymn sheet it would be something, but when factions are so opposed as they are in Thailand, attempts to impose reconciliation will fail - IMHO.

I don't think the Government can just expect to tell the Red and Yellow factions to kiss and make up.

You mean the same as reconciliation did not come about under the junta led regime with 'trojan' Abhisit, Thanks you make my point so well, previous on both sides, so will the situation ever improve, I doubt it as long as the military and judiciary support whoever is supporting them.....then who is really running the country? not Thaksin I think!!
  • Like 1

When you appoint violent criminals as MPs in your government, in so doing help them to avoid prosecution, and pay the bail for convicted arsonists with government ministers offering personal sureties, do you think that you influencing people not to be violent?

I guess turning guns on your own people is extending the olive branch too? Live fire zones to influence people not to be violent, your view is too one sided Mick, there are flaws on both sides, and you guys striving to paint one side black will not make the other white.
  • Like 1

I guess turning guns on your own people is extending the olive branch too? Live fire zones to influence people not to be violent, your view is too one sided Mick, there are flaws on both sides, and you guys striving to paint one side black will not make the other white.

47, try to understand that the former government used force to stop violence, but the current government's actions condone it by protecting those who committed violent acts under their instructions. Yes those violent actions were criminal, but they are Mr T's criminals so that's all right.

• Like 1

Another fantastic leap of a reply considering what I posted.

I certainly don't expect this government to be impartial. It's the nonsense of trying to feign impartiality by attaching the "independent" term to a one-sided commission appointed by the government and headed by a Thaksin associate. Impartiality is impossible under those conditions but it doesn't stop them from the absurdity and balderdash being heightened when they issue wholly disingenuous statements like:

NRLC Chairman Ukrit Mongkol-navin yesterday issued a statement saying that the six-Article bill aims to bring peace and unity back to the deeply divided Thai society.

Edited by Buchholz

47, try to understand that the former government used force to stop violence, but the current government's actions condone it by protecting those who committed violent acts under their instructions. Yes those violent actions were criminal, but they are Mr T's criminals so that's all right.

100% 47 understands. He is just winding you up.

Do you understand Mick why there have been no charges laid for some of the trajic events following actions by the military, you really should do your research to ascertain why there seems to be more than a slight slope on the playing field in this area....then perhaps people will take your 'opinions' a little more seriously. Thaksin is a convenient Patsy for those who wish to utilise this service he provides, and those who lay all the detrimental issues in Thailand at his door show little capability for individual thought.

I'm really impressed by the level of reconciliation feeling posters here show. Unfortunately, they will not qualify for a possible amnesty, that's only for a certain type of protesters. They should be at least Thai nationals wink.png

You mean the same as reconciliation did not come about under the junta led regime with 'trojan' Abhisit, Thanks you make my point so well, previous on both sides, so will the situation ever improve, I doubt it as long as the military and judiciary support whoever is supporting them.....then who is really running the country? not Thaksin I think!!

I'm not going to dispute your facts about the past - I would merely point out that a certain group of posters supporting a philosophy of ' they did it before so we can do it now,, seems juvenile to say the least.

Ok - Thaksin is not running the country, just his highly skilled sister who has turned into a master politician with the aid of her honest, law abiding Government ministers. Or maybe it is Thaksin.

Anyway, lt's always nice to nip back to the past.

For now, an imposition of 'happy families' is unlikely to bring peace to Thailand, especially as it does involve input from all sides of society.

Long live democracy!

Edited by Noistar
  • Like 1

I'm not going to dispute your facts about the past - I would merely point out that a certain group of posters supporting a philosophy of ' they did it before so we can do it now,, seems juvenile to say the least.

Ok - Thaksin is not running the country, just his highly skilled sister who has turned into a master politician with the aid of her honest, law abiding Government ministers. Or maybe it is Thaksin.

For now, an imposition of 'happy families' is unlikely to bring peace to Thailand, especially as it does involve input from all sides of society.

Long live democracy!

My respect Noistar.wai.gif

Long live democracy!

If you genuinely think everybody in Thailand who carries major influence has aquiesced to Thaksin running Thailand and relinquished all control to one man........well.....carry on.. you have a right to your opinion.....in my opinion Yingluck is currently carefuly negotiating the tight rope across a major divide,......Thaksin is suffered because of this very guarded approach, and he knows it, he is not yet returned to the powerful inner sanctum, if he was ever truly there at all, instead left to make muted comment from Dubai. What many of you miss and ignore is the simple fact that if Thaksin carried the element of control and ability to manipulate that you continually foist upon him......................he would....just...walk in the door................so on that note..no Thaksin is not running Thailand.

It's not enough for the deeply partisan commision to act like ding dongs, they are also compelled to put ludicrous ideas on paper for all to see. They are to reconciliation what petrol is to fire-suppression.

• Like 1

If you genuinely think everybody in Thailand who carries major influence has aquiesced to Thaksin running Thailand and relinquished all control to one man........well.....carry on.. you have a right to your opinion.....in my opinion Yingluck is currently carefuly negotiating the tight rope across a major divide,......Thaksin is suffered because of this very guarded approach, and he knows it, he is not yet returned to the powerful inner sanctum, if he was ever truly there at all, instead left to make muted comment from Dubai. What many of you miss and ignore is the simple fact that if Thaksin carried the element of control and ability to manipulate that you continually foist upon him......................he would....just...walk in the door................so on that note..no Thaksin is not running Thailand.

You make a good point about why he doesn't just return.

I'm sure he wouldn't have any problems upon his arrival.

I just assume that he has this need to be seen as unblemished. For that reason I feel he is biding his time, hence the need for the 'reconciliation' bill.

If true, I may be correct in my opinion that Thaksin is running the show.

After all, the "PM" admitted a long time ago that she didn't know the detail of the contents of the bill, but advised the electorate to endorse it.

As you say, we are all entitled to our opinions. Presumably time will tell.

Edited by Noistar

I just assume that he has this need to be seen as unblemished. For that reason I feel he is biding his time, hence the need for the 'reconciliation' bill.

After all, the "PM" admitted a long time ago that she didn't know the detail of the contents of the bill, but advised the electorate to endorse it.

you are missing all the pointers, if Thaksin was running the show the initial 'reconciliation' bill would have been pushed through without fear of recrimination.....so why not? because contrary to the persistent impression created and delivered by the faithful anti Thaksin Tvisa forum members........Thaksin is not running Thailand! Edited by 473geo
  • Like 1

you are missing all the pointers, if Thaksin was running the show the initial 'reconciliation' bill would have been pushed through without fear of recrimination.....so why not? because contrary to the persistent impression created and delivered by the faithful anti Thaksin Tvisa forum members........Thaksin is not running Thailand!

In your opinion, or are there facts to support your statement?

I have often wondered if the track of the Government would be the same should Thaksin be physically 'not around'.

I find it interesting that some here may not be aware of the article in the International Herald Tribune entitled "Out of his country, but not out of power" by Thomas Fuller.

The article discusses how the former premier uses Skype, Whatsapp and Line, as well as "a dozen cellphones" as a communications methodology. It notes that "party officials" claim he receives documents emailed to him by bureaucrats. It also quotes a minister about how "..."We can contact him at all hours". ... "If we've got any problem, we give him a call."..." The same minster brandishes his iPhone to show the numbers he has for him. The article comments "(Mr. Thaksin gives different numbers to different people, often depending on seniority)."

It is a bizarre political position by any standard, but as the closing paragraph of the article notes "... widely publicised slogan ... Thaksin thinks, Pheu Thai does. ...".

A way to run a modern democracy?

Regards

Do not confuse dabbling in politics and government with 'running the country' there is no 'power' in politics without the correct level of support, history has shown that a political party can be 'extinguished' in Thailand very quickly.....they can be removed by a coup a historical favourite.....so it really amazes me that people still think politicians run the country!!.........

Another fantastic leap of a reply considering what I posted.

I certainly don't expect this government to be impartial. It's the nonsense of trying to feign impartiality by attaching the "independent" term to a one-sided commission appointed by the government and headed by a Thaksin associate. Impartiality is impossible under those conditions but it doesn't stop them from the absurdity and balderdash being heightened when they issue wholly disingenuous statements like:

NRLC Chairman Ukrit Mongkol-navin yesterday issued a statement saying that the six-Article bill aims to bring peace and unity back to the deeply divided Thai society.

regarding impartial independent commissions, i agree with you on at least that point.

the TRC was equally independent and impartial

Big thanks to Hugo6 for pointing out that the amnesty bill which absolves protesters of any flavour in the period September 19 2006 actually seems to start with the day of the September 19th 2006 coup. What a coincidence!

As for governments abusing rights and killing people, one might have expected the period to start a bit before 2006, but never mind. At least the period still gives us three governments left to accuse of crimes against Thai citizens and not being able to protect them from grenade lobbing terrorists. Even under the PM Somchai non-red-shirts frequently were at risk, like that night when some were having fun at the airport and in panic moved in when a few grenades dropped on them.

BTW an amnesty would mean PAD leaders will be absolved? Now that can't be right. What does Ms. Thida have to say about that?

i guess you dont know that there are other amnesty bills that start as early as 2005

now you do

oh yeah, that includes the pad too

more news for ya

no but right at the start, eh?

you got this cute li'l confused icon up there for some reason? like not understanding how it might be possible to offer amnesty to the Thai people who protested against military imposed governments but not give amnesty to the same governments when they abused the rights of or just plain killed those same citizens.

doesnt sound too hard to understand to me.

Right. So amnesty for those charged for protesting from September 19 2006 to the elections in December 2007.

Not sure why they're talking about going up until 2011 then.

in my newly acquired (mellowed) post-posting-prison mindset, i find you to be replying in a purposefully obtuse manner and have no desire to continue to reply

Edited by Hugo6

Big thanks to Hugo6 for pointing out that the amnesty bill which absolves protesters of any flavour in the period September 19 2006 actually seems to start with the day of the September 19th 2006 coup. What a coincidence!

As for governments abusing rights and killing people, one might have expected the period to start a bit before 2006, but never mind. At least the period still gives us three governments left to accuse of crimes against Thai citizens and not being able to protect them from grenade lobbing terrorists. Even under the PM Somchai non-red-shirts frequently were at risk, like that night when some were having fun at the airport and in panic moved in when a few grenades dropped on them.

BTW an amnesty would mean PAD leaders will be absolved? Now that can't be right. What does Ms. Thida have to say about that?

i guess you dont know that there are other amnesty bills that start as early as 2005

now you do

oh yeah that includes the pad too

more news for ya

Terribly sorry love, but I did know that there are about four or five different 'amnesty/reconciliation' bills. One of them from our legal expert Dept. PM Pol. Captain Chalerm no less! The 'amnesty bill' under discussion here with six articles started as having 15 September 2005 as begin of the amnesty period. It seems the original text of article 3 was

"Anyone whose actions relating to political protests or political activities between 15 September 2005 and 10 May 2011 that were against the law shall be given amnesty. This applies to both ordinary citizens and state authorities."

Imagine, it included state authorities. Unacceptable of course. Mind you at the moment I find it difficult to get a clear description of all six articles the way they are currently formulated. Surely you are able to help me there rolleyes.gif

Edited by rubl

• 2 weeks later...

30165323_01_zps055ad1f7.jpg

NRLC Chairman Ukrit Mongkol-navin (left) with unidentified admirer.

Today, Deputy PM Ponthep said that National Rule of Law Commission Chairman Ukrit Mongkol-navin's amnesty proposal was not considered during today's Cabinet meeting.

Earlier at a press conference, Ukrit had said that he had sent a letter to Yingluck asking the Cabinet to consider his group's amnesty recommendations quickly so that the bill could be forwarded ASAP to the Parliament for debate.

Edited by Buchholz

30165323_01_zps055ad1f7.jpg

NRLC Chairman Ukrit Mongkol-navin (left) with unidentified admirer.

Today, Deputy PM Ponthep said that National Rule of Law Commission Chairman Ukrit Mongkol-navin's amnesty proposal was not considered during today's Cabinet meeting.

Earlier at a press conference, Ukrit had said that he had sent a letter to Yingluck asking the Cabinet to consider his group's amnesty recommendations quickly so that the bill could be forwarded ASAP to the Parliament for debate.

I guess I have to ask some local friends to understand how they think about this lack of progress. Is Pheu Thai and/or the government keen on frustrating the chances of their candidate for Bangkok governor?

Leaders of reds, yellows agree to amnesty bills

Red-shirt and yellow-shirt leaders Thursday held a closed-door meeting with Deputy House Speaker Charoen Jankomol to discuss two proposed amnesty bills directed at those involved in the country's ongoing political conflict - one for protesters, and the other for protest leaders.

Although the meeting was unofficial and its results were inconclusive, attendants praised the atmosphere as one of mature and reasoned discussion.

Charoen invited Pheu Thai Party MP Worachai Hema (Samut Prakan), a representative from the Nitirat group, Pheu Thai MP Korkaew Pikulthong, a representative of the Democratic Alliance Against Dictatorship (DAAD), and Panthep Puapongpan, a People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) representative, for a two-hour meeting on the amnesty bills.

Worachai said attendants agreed with the idea to issue both the first amnesty bill, to pardon those who violated the emergency decree, and the second bill, to pardon protesters as a way of reducing political conflicts.

The bills would allow for the formation of a neutral central committee to decide who would be pardoned.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-02-07

Charoen invited Pheu Thai Party MP Worachai Hema (Samut Prakan), a representative from the Nitirat group, Pheu Thai MP Korkaew Pikulthong, a representative of the Democratic Alliance Against Dictatorship (DAAD), and Panthep Puapongpan, a People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) representative, for a two-hour meeting on the amnesty bills.

Well thats a very inclusive group that represents all of Thai society. sarcasm

Although yellow-shirt leader Panthep agreed in principle with the two proposed bills, he said he was only attending the meeting in a personal capacity and not as a PAD representative.

He said other PAD leaders would maintain the principle of fighting the charges filed against them, because they believed the government at the time had violated their lawful right to protest by ordering the emergency decree.