Trip Reports, Visiting Chiang Rai.

villagefarang

Your plan is actually a good starting point but you will need to be flexible, to allow for traffic and driving time and well as meals, energy levels and the extent your guests like to linger over something they find interesting. That is often hard to gage in advance.

I am a little uncomfortable with Day 2. Some people will walk through Baan Dam rapidly while others will linger taking many pictures and asking questions. At Doi Tung, if you walk through the Mae Fa Luang Gardens and the Royal Palace, do a little shopping and have a coffee, you could spend a fair amount of time.

If one simply drives through Chiang Saen and Mae Sai without spending a great deal of time, other than a few stops to take pictures, then I suppose the day is doable.

If you come over from Chiang Mai on the 118, then the 107 is a good choice for the return trip. I say have a good trip and don’t sweat the itinerary too much, you sound ready.smile.png

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reading these reports is very enjoyable,but instead of reporting on a past trip I'd like some some comments and recommendations on an upcoming trip to your part of the world.Friends,husband and wife 60yrs old traveling to Holland are breaking the long haul from Oz with 5days in the Nth.They've done a lot of traveling but never been in Thai before.So I've got the job of packing 3 days and 2 nights with sights

worthy of the Nth and remembering.Forgot,mid June.

Proposed itinerary.

Day 1 Chiang Mai>>Chiang Rai. Wat Rong Khun,Ob Kham Museum,Wat Phra Kaew. Evening Night Bazaar,feed and a stroll(weekday VF) Accomm.Toon Baan Malai.

Day 2( I'm worried if i can squeeze all this in)Baan Si Daam>>Chiang Saen>>Mae Sai>>Mae Fa Luang Gardens>>Maesalong.Accomm.

Maesalong Mountain Home.

Day 3 Just an easy meander back to CM via Tha Ton, Hwy 107.Stopping anywhere that strikes their fancy.So what I'm asking is this doable in the time,anything more worthy around this timeframe,and certainly any "Don't go there,don't do it"

Have been to your fine city before and enjoyed very much please help me do it again.Regards and thanks in advance Kim.

Just to add my two cents . . .

Day 2 sounds real optimistic. I would recommend going straight to Mae Fa Luang Gardens in the AM. You are in the height of the hot time here in CR. Walking around the gardens can be very enjoyable as long as you are not sweating to death. The morning time will afford indirect sun for a few hours and make walking around more enjoyable. I also agree with Village Farang that you could spend several hours at Mae Fa Luang Gardens if you walk the gardens and then see the Royal Villa (or whatever they call it!).

Then as the day begins to heat up, take a nice air conditioned ride to Chiang Saen and maybe have lunch by along the river. Then drive to Maesai and to do some shopping before heading to Mae Salong.

I would look at fitting Baan Si Daam into day one since it is not too far from town.

Either way, best wishes for a safe and enjoyable trip!

... Ive lived in BKK for over 5 years now and the turnover rate of foreigners in the big city is quite high, thus there is a lot more of the vacationing/only here on business temporarily - types than what I saw in CR. The foreigners I ran into in CR seemed much more acclimated, spoke Thai incredibly well, and were just all around more seasoned. Much diff than the majority of the foreigner crowd in BKK.

Interesting observation and comparison between Bangkok and Chiang Rai. My experience was a little different but I am sure things have continued to change and evolve, since we moved up here from Bangkok over six years ago.

I found the people I knew over my 30+ years in Bangkok, Thai and Farang, were a bit more worldly and current than the people of Chiang Rai, both Thai and Farang. I have found residents of Chiang Rai to be much older for the most part, than friends in Bangkok, with a few notable exceptions.

Chiang Rai demographics are changing but it still leans toward that of a retirement community where people come to fade away and stretch their retirement funds. The people I find more interesting only seem to drop in from time to time, using Chiang Rai as an escape from the stress of modernity and the big city. Chiang Rai continues to evolve, so it will be interesting to see what things look like in another five or ten years.

I take exception to that. I have no intention of fading away. Whatever the hell that means. My retirement funds are more than adequate for anywhere in the world. My wife has followed me around the world, during my career. It's my turn to follow her for awhile. Her first choice was the place of her birth. But, we're both starting to wonder if it's time to go.

It is nice that you are not in that particular demographic and I am sure everyone knows what I meant by “fade away”. Sorry you take exception to my observation and I can see how you might see things differently.

People often have dreams of returning to their place of birth, but it doesn’t always workout. It kind of depends on ones expectations and ability to adjust to the realities on the ground. If you give it a little more time you may find more reasons to stay.

Reading these reports is very enjoyable,but instead of reporting on a past trip I'd like some some comments and recommendations on an upcoming trip to your part of the world.Friends,husband and wife 60yrs old traveling to Holland are breaking the long haul from Oz with 5days in the Nth.They've done a lot of traveling but never been in Thai before.So I've got the job of packing 3 days and 2 nights with sights

worthy of the Nth and remembering.Forgot,mid June.

Proposed itinerary.

Day 1 Chiang Mai>>Chiang Rai. Wat Rong Khun,Ob Kham Museum,Wat Phra Kaew. Evening Night Bazaar,feed and a stroll(weekday VF) Accomm.Toon Baan Malai.

Day 2( I'm worried if i can squeeze all this in)Baan Si Daam>>Chiang Saen>>Mae Sai>>Mae Fa Luang Gardens>>Maesalong.Accomm.

Maesalong Mountain Home.

Day 3 Just an easy meander back to CM via Tha Ton, Hwy 107.Stopping anywhere that strikes their fancy.So what I'm asking is this doable in the time,anything more worthy around this timeframe,and certainly any "Don't go there,don't do it"

Have been to your fine city before and enjoyed very much please help me do it again.Regards and thanks in advance Kim.

Just to add my two cents . . .

Day 2 sounds real optimistic. I would recommend going straight to Mae Fa Luang Gardens in the AM. You are in the height of the hot time here in CR. Walking around the gardens can be very enjoyable as long as you are not sweating to death. The morning time will afford indirect sun for a few hours and make walking around more enjoyable. I also agree with Village Farang that you could spend several hours at Mae Fa Luang Gardens if you walk the gardens and then see the Royal Villa (or whatever they call it!).

Then as the day begins to heat up, take a nice air conditioned ride to Chiang Saen and maybe have lunch by along the river. Then drive to Maesai and to do some shopping before heading to Mae Salong.

I would look at fitting Baan Si Daam into day one since it is not too far from town.

Either way, best wishes for a safe and enjoyable trip!

You make a very good point about going to visit the garden in the morning.thumbsup.gif

Thanks so much for the input.Revised plan Day1 CM>Wat Rong Khun>Baan Daam>CR(whatever time allows)Day2 CR>Rai Mae Fa Luang>Mae Sai>Chiang Saen>Mae Chan.

Question,Mae Chan>Maesalong Hwy 1089 or Hwys 1130 and 1234.

Regards Kim.

Thanks so much for the input.Revised plan Day1 CM>Wat Rong Khun>Baan Daam>CR(whatever time allows)Day2 CR>Rai Mae Fa Luang>Mae Sai>Chiang Saen>Mae Chan.

Question,Mae Chan>Maesalong Hwy 1089 or Hwys 1130 and 1234.

Regards Kim.

The 1130−1234 is my choice, being more twisty and more interesting in my opinion. If you end up in a rush at the end of the day the 1089 might be easier.

I am guessing you plan on taking the 1089 to the 107 for your return to Chiang Mai the following day. Should be a nice drive.smile.png

I would like to express my appreciation for the quality of posts and questions we are getting in this topic. It is so nice that posters are doing a little homework before asking questions and providing enough information for us to offer helpful suggestions tailored to their needs. The followup has been admirable, as well.

In the past any polite request for people to try a little harder, has been met with incredulity and scorn. It is really a pleasure to help under these new circumstances.smile.png

Just like to say that (1) the trip reports and (2) answers to the questions asked, are helping me to plan my trip.

Plan so far....leave Non Thai - Korat on the 15th June and go to Uttaradit. (Split trip). Two nights there

and then on to Chiang Rai (17th June). Spend 4 nights in Chaing Rai, (17, 18, 19, 20)

giving time to see the sights and then to Chiang Mai for a couple of nights
(21, 22) to catch up with a friend.

Return home via Uttaradit (23) to split trip to Non Thai.

If need be, I can add an extra night wherever.

Have a few Aussies to catch up with, so looking forward to that and, VF,

I do hope our paths cross while I am in Chiang Rai. (Maybe at the fried banana stall.....thumbsup.gif )

This is the trip that I have planed.

Map 1: From Non Thai to Uttaradit

post-36037-0-35485800-1366453651_thumb.p

Map 2: From Uttaradit to Chiang Rai

post-36037-0-21118000-1366453716_thumb.p

Map 3: From Chiang Rai to Chiang Mai

post-36037-0-35229700-1366453763_thumb.p

Map 4: From Chiang Mai to Uttaradit

post-36037-0-47446500-1366453827_thumb.p

Then return to Non Thai from Uttaradit reverse to up trip.

Any tips, re these planned trips, would be greatly appreciated.

attachicon.gifNon Thai to Uttaradit.png

attachicon.gifUttaradit to Chiang Rai.png

attachicon.gifChiang Rai to Chiang Mai.png

attachicon.gifChiang Mai to Uttaradit.png

If you want a really scenic trip to CM even though it is a lot longer think about going on the road 109 to the old Oilfield on the Rang ROad and then head to Chiangmai. Very hilly but very very scenic.

If you want a really scenic trip to CM even though it is a lot longer think about going on the road 109 to the old Oilfield on the Rang ROad and then head to Chiangmai. Very hilly but very very scenic.

Thanks for that Harrry.....wai2.gif

Will look into that. As the wife and I have our own car, we are not restricted to what I have planned.

Will do some more research while having a late coffee.....wink.png

Thanks for that Harrry.....wai2.gif

Will look into that. As the wife and I have our own car, we are not restricted to what I have planned.

Will do some more research while having a late coffee.....wink.png

Is this the way you are suggesting?

post-36037-0-01324400-1366458770_thumb.p

I prefer the back roads and would highly recommend going through Nan. You can enter Chiang Rai from Thoeng. Take a look at my map from our last road trip for some ideas. It is on my blog.

attachicon.gifVFMap.jpg

Thanks VF. Have enlarged the map from you blog and save to my places.

Will do some more research.thumbsup.gif Hope the wife can follow my final plans.

attachicon.gifNon Thai to Uttaradit.png

attachicon.gifUttaradit to Chiang Rai.png

attachicon.gifChiang Rai to Chiang Mai.png

attachicon.gifChiang Mai to Uttaradit.png

When you go through Phayao drive around the lake and have a stop there.. If the smoke haze has gone it is a very good view. Have a look on a Google map.

Yes. That is the one. It is a very hilly trip but some beautiful views if the weather is ok. The road from Fang to CM goes over a couple of very high ranges and is very scenic. Half of the direct way has little to make it worthwhile though the last 60km or so are quite nice..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Df_cr5D2jv0

gives some of the 107

Yes. That is the one. It is a very hilly trip but some beautiful views if the weather is ok. The road from Fang to CM goes over a couple of very high ranges and is very scenic. Half of the direct way has little to make it worthwhile though the last 60km or so are quite nice..

gives some of the 107

Interesting videos Harry! But watching the second one I had to take a break because I got car sick sick.gif !

gives some of the 107

Interesting videos Harry! But watching the second one I had to take a break because I got car sick sick.gif !
When I got my Vigo the next day I did the trip from CM to Fang. Exausted at the end.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks vf ... I'm doing a small report on the chiang-dao-caves in the Chiang Rai Forum and have referenced your thread here as many who journey up from the South probably plan to visit both the Rai and Mai.

Nice report on Chiang Dao and thanks for the link.wai.gif

My wife and I did a motor bike trip just recently. We went with 3 other local guys with their bikes. I just purchased a new Honda Forza 300 and it was a good time to test it out. We went from CR up to Mae Chan and left onto the 107. Stopped at a lot of nice spots on the way. We went on to Mae Taeng and turned right onto 1095 to Pai. It is an exhausting trip due to the ups and downs and hundreds and hundreds of turns but I tell you its well worth it because of the magnificant scenery ALL the way. Stayed 2 nights in Pai and its a very nice small town. We back tracked to the 107 again and on to CM for a night and then home. The new bike was everything we expected and more.Our next trip on the bike will be to Nan via Chiang Kong and on to Loei and back via Phitsanulok,Tak and up No1 to home. That will take us about 1 week.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just like to say that (1) the trip reports and (2) answers to the questions asked, are helping me to plan my trip.

Plan so far....leave Non Thai - Korat on the 15th June and go to Uttaradit. (Split trip). Two nights there

and then on to Chiang Rai (17th June). Spend 4 nights in Chaing Rai, (17, 18, 19, 20)

I do hope our paths cross while I am in Chiang Rai. (Maybe at the fried banana stall.....thumbsup.gif )

It looks like Kevjohn is on schedule for his trip. I guess the question is, who else will be here during the stated timeframe? The rumor mill has “blether” sightings in Chiang Rai from time to time but will he be here the week of the 17th? Sounds like Jazzed won’t be able to make it until August. Anyone else going to be in town?

It looks like Kevjohn is on schedule for his trip. I guess the question is, who else will be here during the stated timeframe? The rumor mill has “blether” sightings in Chiang Rai from time to time but will he be here the week of the 17th? Sounds like Jazzed won’t be able to make it until August. Anyone else going to be in town?

Landed in Bangkok yesterday at 16:30 and then a car trip to Korat, arriving about 21:00.

Plans still look good and the wife and myself are realy looking forward to the trip.....thumbsup.gif

• 2 weeks later...

After our trip to Chiang Rai not being exactly as planed, we arrived on Monday 17th.

I have no complaints about the weather, only the smoke haze that effects the photos, as you can see.

post-36037-0-79356800-1371703441_thumb.j post-36037-0-73270400-1371703545_thumb.j

Will be here till Sunday, so a little rain to clear the smoke and who knows, my photos may improve a 1,000% (or more)

Anyway, rain or no rain, we are enjoying our stay.

Happy holidaying in Chiang Rai.

After our trip to Chiang Rai not being exactly as planed, we arrived on Monday 17th.

I have no complaints about the weather, only the smoke haze that effects the photos, as you can see.

attachicon.gifP1080155 - Copy.JPG attachicon.gifP1080156 - Copy.JPG

Will be here till Sunday, so a little rain to clear the smoke and who knows, my photos may improve a 1,000% (or more)

What do you mean smoke haze....you just forgot to clean your lens. Come back in Februrary if you want to use that excuse.

attachicon.gifP1080155 - Copy.JPG attachicon.gifP1080156 - Copy.JPG

What do you mean smoke haze....you just forgot to clean your lens. Come back in Februrary if you want to use that excuse.

The best thing would be for me to learn how to use the camera......sad.png

Rain today, so out of excuses now. Maybe some fog tomorrow.....wink.png

Archived