How To Help A Soi Dog Suffering

advancebooking

In Jomtien where Im staying there are 2 dogs that have bloody wounds. One dog seems to be suffering and I want to help.

6 months ago I was here in the same street and there was another dog I was trying to help. I visited the vet who seemed uninterested and slightly incompetent. He told me to take a photo and bring it back. He would not consider taking his car to get the dog even though I offered to pay.

Similar to last yr, I do not have a car and don't know how to get the dog/s to the vet. Also, Im not sure I have the expertise to do this as the dogs don't know me.

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated. On Koh lanta island theres an animal welfare centre where the volunteer vets drive out and pick up injured animals. After treatment they return the animals to the original location. Is there an organisation like this in Patts?

many thanks

Maybe you could ask a friend who has a car to help out, might be a bit tricky getting the animal into the vehicle as he/she dosen t know you and more

likely has never traveled in a car before, in the meantime bringing the dog a meal would go a long way, even a can of dog food im

sure would be much appreciated, good luck

Its most definetely a mange. if you friendly with a dog, i can help, as i have a car or can come with bike and sidecar.

there is really good vet with a huge heart on pattaya tai road, have been using him for years now(as i rescued and have 12 of my own now)

If you not friendly with a dog, best is to buy some Ivermectin as pinfold noted, however i believe shots of antibiotics also needed as well as some shampoo or creams.

Ivermectin, can buy from soi buakhao market(tuesday & fri) for 100 baht per box(have 10 tabs inside), put 1-2 tabs depending on the dog size into a sausage .

Anyhow, if need help or advise just pm me and will be happy to help outwai2.gif

Wow some good souls on THIS thread.

I had some incredible luck using ivemertin once, however i know little about the side effects.

I saw a young dog go from no hair, old looking and miseralbe to a full white coat in a bout 1-2 months!!!

One of the most rewarding things i have ever done in my life.

• Like 1

Wow some good souls on THIS thread.

I had some incredible luck using ivemertin once, however i know little about the side effects.

I saw a young dog go from no hair, old looking and miseralbe to a full white coat in a bout 1-2 months!!!

One of the most rewarding things i have ever done in my life.

you right it really does work and cost only 100 baht for a box of 10.

many dogs die from having mange, but not from mange itself, but from the bloody wounds and infections.

it is indeed one of the best feelings to help an animal who can not help itself.

as i mentioned i took of the street 12(dogs and cats) and they reward me every day now with house full eaten shoes, among many other thingsgiggle.gif , but would not trade it for anything, unless of course someone want to take them for a few days holiday.tongue.png , so i can get 1 night sleep

Its most definetely a mange. if you friendly with a dog, i can help, as i have a car or can come with bike and sidecar.

there is really good vet with a huge heart on pattaya tai road, have been using him for years now(as i rescued and have 12 of my own now)

If you not friendly with a dog, best is to buy some Ivermectin as pinfold noted, however i believe shots of antibiotics also needed as well as some shampoo or creams.

Ivermectin, can buy from soi buakhao market(tuesday & fri) for 100 baht per box(have 10 tabs inside), put 1-2 tabs depending on the dog size into a sausage .

You do not need to take the dog anywhere. just dose the dog where it is, I usually inject,but out of it at the mo. It is a mite under the skin that causes the problem,I have seen diesel oil applied for about an hour,burns the skin but kills the mites, also used engine oil, coat the dog and leave it for 24 hours .

You do not need to take the dog anywhere. just dose the dog where it is, I usually inject,but out of it at the mo. It is a mite under the skin that causes the problem,I have seen diesel oil applied for about an hour,burns the skin but kills the mites, also used engine oil, coat the dog and leave it for 24 hours .

from my understanding, the dog already has open wounds and bleeding, yes the tabs will help but antibiotics also needed to avoid infection if one wants to do it properly

The vet on Pattaya Tai "Cannine" would collect as would Nurn Plab Wan vet, they have ambulances. Personally having treated 100's as has pinfold, ivermectin in some meat works most of the time unless its demodedtic mange, on that one only a skin scrape will show. I use minced pork, works a treat with 2ml of Ivermectin liquid.. I use the liquid as its way cheaper than pills on a per dog basis.

A vet will sell you a syringe full for about 100-200 baht for a couple of dogs.

http://www.carefordogs.org/ are Chang mai based but due to work commitments organizer is now living in Pattaya area and is extremely enthusiastic on assisting with treatments, however trying to avoid having 200+ dogs at home. My landlord has 300+

PM me and I will come and do first one's for you and give you enough in a syringe for next dose.

Edited by marstons

from my understanding, the dog already has open wounds and bleeding, yes the tabs will help but antibiotics also needed to avoid infection if one wants to do it properly

Can get them from pharmacy,the pink ones cheap. The dog will be OK,no antibiotics. Give Ivermetic at 50% overdose ,no ill effects on first dose. Injection no big deal ,but if dog not known put a muzzle on it first,or tie the mouth shut,can sting sometimes

Here is a dog I treated few months ago,, now his hair has grown back, cost less than 50 baht to do with liquid Ivermectin and some meat. Had it been a female I would have kept befriending until I could catch and then would have neutered which is the only solution that would work if only the government would cough up. I was asked by local government recently to help sort out 50 dogs on there land by way of neutering, no cash no way, but I do dose them with ivomectin regular and neuter odd ones. Other picture is a group session in a field 700 baht per female.

2 injections of ivermectin cured the small brown dog, who is now a big brown dog with no balls.giggle.gif

post-140396-0-81707700-1359136161_thumb.

post-140396-0-11402800-1359136412_thumb.

post-140396-0-57901700-1359136649_thumb.

Edited by marstons
  • Like 1

"I visited the vet who seemed uninterested and slightly incompetent. He told me to take a photo and bring it back. He would not consider taking his car to get the dog even though I offered to pay."

In his defence, there are a lot of sick stray dogs around and he probably came to terms with this at the beginning of his career. He can probably tell just as well from a photo what the problem might be so it doesnt seem unreasonable of him to suggest taking a photo, based on which he could prescribe the correct treatment for a common problem or investigate further if the problem seems unusual. Whilst mange may be likely, there is always the possibility that it is some other problem altogether in which case a treatment for mange could do more harm than good.

I have read in the local press about some sort of group of local dog-lovers and local vets that do various health drives and neutering sessions for soi dogs. Not sure if it is the same group mentioned above. Also there is farang woman who can often be seen around Jomtien beach in her car and she seems to be very keen indeed on soi dog welfare.

"I visited the vet who seemed uninterested and slightly incompetent. He told me to take a photo and bring it back. He would not consider taking his car to get the dog even though I offered to pay."

In his defence, there are a lot of sick stray dogs around and he probably came to terms with this at the beginning of his career. He can probably tell just as well from a photo what the problem might be so it doesnt seem unreasonable of him to suggest taking a photo, based on which he could prescribe the correct treatment for a common problem or investigate further if the problem seems unusual. Whilst mange may be likely, there is always the possibility that it is some other problem altogether in which case a treatment for mange could do more harm than good.

I have read in the local press about some sort of group of local dog-lovers and local vets that do various health drives and neutering sessions for soi dogs. Not sure if it is the same group mentioned above. Also there is farang woman who can often be seen around Jomtien beach in her car and she seems to be very keen indeed on soi dog welfare.

If it is not mange it will be a bacterial or fungal skin infection,highly unlikely though as the dog has bleeding wounds which are the easiest mange type to cure. Bacterial/fungal skin infections can be cured by a shotgun mix of cheap pharmacy drugs,not worth skin scrape,just treat for the two

post-140396-0-42139300-1359181834_thumb.post-140396-0-10094200-1359181850_thumb.

Thanks for all the good advices. I should have been more specific... One of the dogs seems to have a wound near or on the testicular region and the other one around the anal region. Thats why Im not sure its mange.

sounds like TVT usually starts around vagina and penis and very contagious, the dog in the picture has it. Is treatable http://www.carefordogs.org/ contact here as they are doing some thing with TVT now in Pattaya, other option is send dog to Bangkok for 4 weeks for treatment 4000 baht.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canine_transmissible_venereal_tumor

Edited by marstons

Thanks for all the good advices. I should have been more specific... One of the dogs seems to have a wound near or on the testicular region and the other one around the anal region. Thats why Im not sure its mange.

It could be a form of cancer,forget the name,but I took a couple of dogs to a vet two injections at 300 baht did the trick

post-140396-0-42139300-1359181834_thumb.post-140396-0-10094200-1359181850_thumb.

sounds like TVT usually starts around vagina and penis and very contagious, the dog in the picture has it. Is treatable http://www.carefordogs.org/ contact here as they are doing some thing with TVT now in Pattaya, other option is send dog to Bangkok for 4 weeks for treatment 4000 baht.

http://en.wikipedia...._venereal_tumor

I have seen tumours coming through the eye socket pushing the eyeball back inside the skull with this condition. To catch a Soi dog is generally easy the first time to receive treatment,the second time not so,the dog soon learns.Just a simple and cheap injection cures the condition. Would suggest once caught,it is caged ,at about 150 baht a day,until 2 or 3 injections can be administered. If you can befriend the dog for a few days perhaps it let you handle it

how does one know if someone else is already giving this medication to a stray dog at a different time of the day ?..could it not be totally over dosed with sympathy ?

its a shame one of the things that true Buddhist are expected to do is not harm any other living creature, but there is nothing in there religion about caring for them...hence the ugly mess we see every time you walk down beach road with these sick dogs, coupled with the amount of crap and more puppies they produce its an appalling situation.

But if people are prepared to live and play on and in a country covered in garbage then having hundreds of sick mangy dogs crapping everywhere is of no consequence....welcome to the Family friendly five star sea side resort that is Nongprue, Banglamung, Chonburi. There is no such place as Pattaya.....

how does one know if someone else is already giving this medication to a stray dog at a different time of the day ?..could it not be totally over dosed with sympathy ?

its a shame one of the things that true Buddhist are expected to do is not harm any other living creature, but there is nothing in there religion about caring for them...hence the ugly mess we see every time you walk down beach road with these sick dogs, coupled with the amount of crap and more puppies they produce its an appalling situation.

But if people are prepared to live and play on and in a country covered in garbage then having hundreds of sick mangy dogs crapping everywhere is of no consequence....welcome to the Family friendly five star sea side resort that is Nongprue, Banglamung, Chonburi. There is no such place as Pattaya.....

doubt it. Dogs usually start foraging about 8am and 5 pm so that would be the time to intercept

chances are slim as people who medicate are few and far between and live in different parts of town. I am out on darkside near the 36 road so way out of town. I don't think a double dose would do to much damage and chances of 3 doses from 3 different people are very very slim. Gandhi: The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way in which its animals are treated, he got it bang on.

my girlfriend and I help feed 30 dogs a day. i found these beautiful puppies which i have fed everyday. the land the puppies are on is private about 100 meter from a small hotel wgich is gated and the owner of the land told me i dont want you feeding these dogs anymore. its ashame i tried my best

post-81026-13594698114129_thumb.jpg

post-81026-13594698286019_thumb.jpg

post-81026-13594698401767_thumb.jpg

my girlfriend and I help feed 30 dogs a day. i found these beautiful puppies which i have fed everyday. the land the puppies are on is private about 100 meter from a small hotel wgich is gated and the owner of the land told me i dont want you feeding these dogs anymore. its ashame i tried my best

very sad but rather common. Most likely making him look bad , as he is the one who suppose to feed them.

or possibly does not want more dogs on his land, though do not see the harm or anything wrong with raising the little ones. May be if you see him next time, ask him what would Buddha think