Best Basic Books On Buddhism

Sarathi

What are some of the best basic books on Buddhism, that are good for beginners resources.

I got 'What the Buddha Taught' already.

NOT just your favourite Ajahn etc.. but those texts free and paid for, that are thorough introductions to Buddhism and Meditation.

Links appreciated. thumbsup.gif

What area of Buddhism are you interested, ie, Hinayana, Mahayana, or Vajrayana? Any of the Dalai Lama's books will be helpful, some are strictly Buddhist (with some being fairly advanced), while others discuss approaches to life from a more secular point of view albeit suffused with Buddhist insights.

For anything and everything you ever wanted to know about Buddhism -- free -- go to www dot buddhanet dot net (NOT dot com). Loads of free e-books on the subject. If you want to learn all about the essentials of Buddhism sans the mystical, magical image worshiping nonsense mixed in by Thais, check out Handbook for Mankind, by Buddhadasa Bhikkhu.

• Like 1

Thanks - but really after specific titles of books good for beginners to Buddhism - not your favourite Ajahn or website. You know, title and author of some good books offering balanced overviews of Buddhism (any kind) and meditation.

I read so many introductory books they now all blur into one. Books about Buddhism start to get interesting, and much more helpful, when you get past the introductory stage.

As an introduction, however, by a non-Buddhist, how about Huston Smith's Buddhism: A Concise Introduction (2003). Available on Kindle, too. Smith studied Zen under D. T. Suzuki, but he is a follower of Perennial Philosophy, the common mystical core underlying all major religions, so would not be classified as a "Buddhist" where that means "one thing and not another".

The Dalai Lama and Thich Nhat Hanh are usually good, too. Some of TNH's commentaries on the Mahayana Sutras and the Yogacara teaching of Asanga and Vasubandhu are very helpful and not hard to read at all. His Old Path White Clouds is a must-read. Stay away from Zen Keys though.

Paul Williams' Buddhist Thought: A Complete Introduction is very good once you're off the initial stage.

I wouldn't stay at the beginner stage too long. It's repetitive and simplistic. Buddhism becomes more interesting and challenging the more you get into it. Having said that, the core message is simple but true.

Edited by Xangsamhua

I know you asked for books but Bhikkhu Bodhi's series of 10 lectures on the basics of Buddhism are pretty good. Some of them pack in an awful lot of information and, if I remember rightly, they're about 90 minutes long so a repeat listening is not a bad idea. They can be downloaded from http://bodhimonastery.org/the-buddhas-teaching-as-it-is.html If you look around that site, you can also find his series on the Majjhima Nikaya.

Karma for Todays Traveler

Phra Bhasakorn Bhavilai with David Freyer

Publisher: Phra Borommathat - Doi Suthep Foundation, Chiangmai

ISBN 974-656-846-9

This small book (92 pages) provides a modern take on Buddhism.

I met him in Bangkok.. had a short discussion with him.. He's very knowledgable and I really liked his take on Karma.. I still have his book and go back to it once in awhile..

I liked Xangsamhua's statement: "Buddhism is more interesting and challenging the more you get into it." Very few monks I know, really get into it. They just go along with what they have been taught by their abbot. They come to my kuti (room) see all my books and shake their heads.. They can't understand why I like to do all this studying. smile.png

• Like 2

Thanks - but really after specific titles of books good for beginners to Buddhism - not your favourite Ajahn or website. You know, title and author of some good books offering balanced overviews of Buddhism (any kind) and meditation.

For a complete introduction (but not necessarily a 'beginners' book) to Tibetan/Vajrayana Buddhism, "The Words of My Perfect Teacher" by Paltrul Rinpoche is the best and most complete work within a single book. It is used and taught in many Tibetan centers in the US.

• Like 1

Not to be a wet blanket here but several if not all of the books mentioned so far in this thread appear in the pinned topic, which is well worth reading and checking for new posts. Just click on the star to the left of the topic and you'll be taken to the latest post you haven't read.

http://www.thaivisa....rence-websites/

The reason we pinned the topic is so that members, especially new members,could easily access recommended titles.

Anyway I'm not gonna close the thread, please carry on, all great stuff. But do browse the pinned thread which has tons of excellent recommendations and mini-reviews by our members. It would be great to add titles to the pinned topic if you want to see your recommendations archived for future visitors.

Otherwise once the current thread dies, it will gradually disappear from the page, and members and guests will likely miss all your delightful recommendations.

OK back to the discussion :)

• Like 2

For a complete introduction (but not necessarily a 'beginners' book) to Tibetan/Vajrayana Buddhism, "The Words of My Perfect Teacher" by Paltrul Rinpoche is the best and most complete work within a single book. It is used and taught in many Tibetan centers in the US.

Thanks Jawnie.

I looked on Amazon and found a Kindle edition of A Guide to The Words of My Perfect Teacher by Khenpo Ngawang Pelzang. I've downloaded a Sample. The "Words" itself is paperback (don't want to store any more books) and a bit expensive for me on a retirement budget. I hope the "Guide" does the job.

PS. In the Tibetan tradition, I found the Dzogchen tantra, The Supreme Source (Kunjed Gyalpo), pretty amazing, but not for beginners.

Edited by Xangsamhua