Colour Balance

Just thought I'd share an accessory for colour balance that may be of interest.

I shot this image last night under very tricky mixed lighting conditions with fluorescent, tungsten and spot lights on the subject:

8416016102_0339bf4409_c.jpg

It was a challenge to get the colours balanced but using this accessory makes it so much easier

8416006904_a3c4572ce9_c.jpg

Anyway, here's the link if it's of interest.

http://michaeltapesd...com/whibal.html

Disclaimer: I have no vested or other interest in the product

• Like 2

Excellent subject fimgirl. I always seem to be fighting to get white balance correct. I've been familiar with 18% grey cards for a long time but hadn't gotten around to getting one. I plan on a DIY neutral card as a starting point though I realize getting them accurate is difficult but a good starting point to get a feel of using one. AFAIK the neutral (18%) grey cards are for both color balance and exposure.

One question regarding your top photo. The size of the card is quite small so where do you place it? Normally it has to be at the location where the mixed light sources hit which means you would have to go up on the stage. biggrin.png What do you do when you can't get close to the subject to place the card?

DIY Gray Card

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_uPRkzy5UE

The whiBal card is your point of reference in post processing for a given environment. You shoot the card and establish 18% grey. This colour balance/ reading then becomes the setting for the rest of the images shot. Hope this clarifies.

I find in fact that a white balance setting of 3200K is usually accurate in situations as on my shot

the grey card or the colour card still available in some professional shops, not sure if it is available in Thailand.

for perfect exposure / colour balance, the grey card should be in the scene and close to the object, usually in the test shot. in the old day the grey card was in the first shot of the roll for checking processing accuracy too.

in today's digital camera, different brand different sensor different image-processor gives completely different response on colour balance. post-processing is an work-around solution. some highend DSLRs have adjustments on it, yet very technical.

back to fimgirl tricky lighting condition and grey card won't be able in the scene, then thumb of the rule - skin tone :-) the red-face girl and the dull-face on the guy at the right, challenging enough for serious PhotoShopping !