How To Turn 'gobbledygook' Into English

rak sa_ngop

I have just had my OS reloaded so have to start downloading all the programs I have lost.

However something in my settings comes up with a bunch of bizzare characters in the download boxes.

I have tried to find the settings in Control Panel>Regional and language options but only managed to delete the Thai language by mistake.

I am wary of downloading without being sure of the options in English.

Is there a quick fix?

Doc1.docx

Relax Try to use a word document without macros, whom make my security crazy. I mean: dont use word to send a picture! And furthermore you are suffering from a download accelerator installed with thai!

Edited by JakeBKK

Relax Try to use a word document without macros, whom make my security crazy. I mean: dont use word to send a picture! And furthermore you are suffering from a download accelerator installed with thai!

Sorry about the word doc picture. I have now saved it as a jpeg file.

Can you explain a bit more about the accelerator. Also now I do not have Thai as a language option.

post-32140-0-13487100-1359197879_thumb.j

Looks to me like you are trying to download a printer driver that is written in Thai. Also, the web page appears to be encoded in something like UTF-8 or Thai Windows, whereas your Firefox isn't set up to decode it.

I use an Add-On called "Right Encoding" which allows quick changing of the encoding method Firefox uses. You can get it here:

http://releases.mozi...g/addons/76838/

But you probably need to be able to read Thai once the web page looks "correct", because the gobbledygook will probably turn out to be Thai.

Edit:

I agree with pattayadingo. I think Firefox is trying to display stuff in Thai (but can't), and you need to tell either Firefox or your XP that you want English (or 'Mercan).

Edited by JetsetBkk

Looks to me like you are trying to download a printer driver that is written in Thai. Also, the web page appears to be encoded in something like UTF-8 or Thai Windows, whereas your Firefox isn't set up to decode it.

I use an Add-On called "Right Encoding" which allows quick changing of the encoding method Firefox uses. You can get it here:

http://releases.mozi...g/addons/76838/

But you probably need to be able to read Thai once the web page looks "correct", because the gobbledygook will probably turn out to be Thai.

I do not think it is Thai. I have the same problem for all the downloads I have tried (Audacity etc). I inadvertantly deleted the 'right to left and special character' files when I started trying to solve this problem.

The problem is not with Firefox. i have just tried Internet Explorer and get the same result.

Looks like another trip to Panthip Plaza tomorrow.

Thanks for eveybody's help.

Can you explain a bit more about the accelerator. Also now I do not have Thai as a language option.

uninstall this download accelerator and that's all, no need to do a trip and download a xp copy to reinstall the languages/keyboards missing.

Edited by NHJ

Haven't taken a close look yet, but it is likely that you need to change the Unicode settings within the Regional and Language options.

NONUNICODE2.JPG

Was the machine bought in Thailand or elsewhere?

The OS is listed as Windows XP Media Centre. Is that what is installed?

Will send you a piece of software via PM so that you can run a test.

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu

uninstall this download accelerator and that's all, no need to do a trip and download a xp copy to reinstall the languages/keyboards missing.

FANTASTIC

You and JakeBKK are geniuses (genii?). I found a program called 'something' download manager and when I checked it out it was indeed a download accelerator. I now have Audacity successfully downloaded. If I get my Thai language back it will certainly save me the trip to Panthip.

Thanks again

The application is called 'Internet Download Manager' seen it on quite a few computers over here and regardless of 'regional settings' it always looks like this.

As you found out simply uninstalling it is the best thing to do. If you need a download manager give 'jDownloader' a try.