Thai Gf First Visit To Uk (Revisited)

Okay guys, 2nd visit to Thailand and meeting the family went well enough for us to want to apply for her visa to visit me, but a few questions about application form VAF1A:

(FYI I printed a copy of this form and took it with me to Thailand where we did a dry run filling it out in English. I'm now filling out a new one so she can basically copy the answers as she's not good with computers and doesn't handle pressure, but I'm not sure about what specifically to write in a few sections.)

1. Introduction "How long do you intend to stay in the UK?". I've put "Approx 5 months" indicating start and end dates of 18th March to 23rd August. Should I put "Approx 5 months (see part 9)" and explain that if approved the actual dates will depend on the cheapest flight we can find with the return date being anywhere between 29th July and 23rd August?

2. Parts 5.15 to 5.19 regarding income and expenditure. In 5.1 we've already indicated her personal circumstances as being "Supported by boyfriend, Garry xxxxx" so for 5.15 What money is available to you for your trip? is "Boyfriend will be meeting all costs" ok? And both 5.16 Who will pay for your travel to the UK and 5.17 Who will pay for your expenses is "Boyfriend" enough of an answer? Then 5.18 If someone other than yourself is paying..how much and why can I put "Boyfriend will be meeting all costs" as doesn't this cover how much and why?. Finally 5.19 What is the cost to you personally, "None" or "Nothing".

3. 8.7 Where will you stay in the UK, answer will be "Boyfriend's house + address", so do we mention me again in 8.8 as a friend in the UK?

4. Part 9 additional information: Delay visa start until 18th March

I've been reading all morning and even re-read my original post but haven't found anything specific to these questions.

I'll be shipping the application form for her to copy along with all my supporting documentation later today, so answers after Saturday 26th (on UK time) will probably be too late to help, but thanks in advance for any advice.

Garry.

The application must actually be made online, and the online form is slightly differently worded to the paper form. Paper forms are no longer accepted for applications in Thailand. You could have a dry run with the online form, but using a different name and details to your girlfriend's just to get a feel for it, if you like. Then questions will be more appropriate to the actual form that you need to complete.

Okay I know it's only been posted a short while, but nothing at all? No-one that sponsered their girlfriends visitor visa application and had it approved in the last 12 months that can remember what they put on theirs? Pleaseeeeee.

Another one as well. 8.4 What will you do in the UK? Basically we want to experience living together for longer than a holiday to make sure things stay good between us, and to see if we still want to marry in October at the end of it laugh.png She'll meet my family and friends, we'll visit her aunt, go to London for a couple of days and other tourist stuff so she gets to see some of the UK. She needs to understand the reality of living in the UK before she agrees to move here once we're married. All of that, though, is too much to fit, so what do I write, and do I add more in Part 9 (additional information).

The application must actually be made online, and the online form is slightly differently worded to the paper form. Paper forms are no longer accepted for applications in Thailand. You could have a dry run with the online form, but using a different name and details to your girlfriend's just to get a feel for it, if you like. Then questions will be more appropriate to the actual form that you need to complete.

We're aware the application is done online, printed and taken with all supporting documentation to the visa application centre in Bangkok (having made an appointment during the application process). I'm not going to be there with her when she applies, so a completed VAF1A helps her remember things like her and her aunt's addresses that have to be written in English. She's not going to be a happy bunny when she realises she can't copy everything directly, ooo am I gonna get some agro after she's applied sad.png She's already worried about paying the visa fee at Bank of Ayudha prior to her appointment as she doesn't quite understand getting a cashiers cheque and taking it with her to her appointment (that's right isn't it?). What does she tell the Bank, that she wants to pay the UK visa application fee of 3900B, is that enough?

Garry

People will try and advise when they can, but with greatest of respect you have imposed an unrealistic deadline, you posted this at 17.42 Thai time, on a Saturday evening, not everyone is sitting by their computers.

Maybe you will be lucky.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

• Like 1

People will try and advise when they can, but with greatest of respect you have imposed an unrealistic deadline, you posted this at 17.42 Thai time, on a Saturday evening, not everyone is sitting by their computers.

Maybe you will be lucky.

I appreciate that, but many people go out quite late. Perhaps I was hoping someone might get it on their smart phone and decide to reply cheesy.gif

In truth I'm not sure whether to just go for it and get it sent now, or send it Monday evening. Would be a shame if it gets refused on something I asked about rather than something more important like one or more of the criteria not being met in their eyes. But then we want her to come in 9 weeks time so the sooner she applies the sooner we'll get a decision and can decide what to do from there.

Q1 Put the approximate dates, the Officer at your point of entry into the UK will have a copy, but they are not rigid dates.

Q2 We answered just the same as you suggest

Q3 Boyfriends house and include details of the house and accommodation.

Q4 Put the required visa start date in the additional info. We also stapled a note to the front of the print out and I put it in my letter.

In our successful application before we were married, we just said the visit was for tourism, don't go into much detail,

The bank in the foyer of Regent house are helpful, they know the fees and the payee details. I would suggest for simplicity, get the cheque there.

• Like 1

Garry

Q1 - As rawhood has suggested just give indicitive dates, but don't say two weeks if you mean five months. The UKBA advise you not to purchase flights until the visa has been issued, so it's not unreasonable that the dates could change by a day or two within the time frame originally submitted.

As I, and others, pointed out in your previous thread, five months is an awful long time for a hoilday in the UK, that doesn't mean your girlfriends visa would automatically be refused, but the ECO will most certainly be looking at the application in detail. What does she intend to do when your at work?

Q2 - Again I agree with rawhood, your girlfriend will probably find the VFS staff may pressure her into adding a figure, though they shouldn't given the fact that the form she presents is a hard copy of the online form, but they are sometimes a law unto themselves. You have have clearly costed this trip out, you might like to add an inicitive figure based on the proposed itinerary, which matches your financial evidence.

Q3 - Do as rawhood has suggested.

Q4 - I would also put this in your covering letter.

As TVE has pointed out, and he's the real expert, the online form varies from the paper copy, so maybe do as he suggests and do a dry run. I'm not sure if it's practical but maybe you could submit the application online and send her the hard copy to submit.

Regarding my point about the very short deadline you gave yesterday evening, I take your point about people using their smartphones to give answers, I'm sure you will appreciate people spend a lot of time on this forum helping others, giving a meaningful answer using a smartphone in a bar doesn't always work, and you will appreciate that you started asking for advice two months ago, almost to the day.

Good luck to you both.

Okay I know it's only been posted a short while, but nothing at all? No-one that sponsered their girlfriends visitor visa application and had it approved in the last 12 months that can remember what they put on theirs? Pleaseeeeee.

Another one as well. 8.4 What will you do in the UK? Basically we want to experience living together for longer than a holiday to make sure things stay good between us, and to see if we still want to marry in October at the end of it laugh.png She'll meet my family and friends, we'll visit her aunt, go to London for a couple of days and other tourist stuff so she gets to see some of the UK. She needs to understand the reality of living in the UK before she agrees to move here once we're married. All of that, though, is too much to fit, so what do I write, and do I add more in Part 9 (additional information).

No no no no no !!!!!!!

Whatever you do dont say you want to see how you get on in the UK as you may marry in the future. As ludicrous as it sounds its a Red Card Response.

Some others may come in with a Rebuttal but you'll be told you're applying for the wrong Visa.

Exactly what happened to me I might add.

Maybe you will be lucky.

I appreciate that, but many people go out quite late. Perhaps I was hoping someone might get it on their smart phone and decide to reply cheesy.gif

In truth I'm not sure whether to just go for it and get it sent now, or send it Monday evening. Would be a shame if it gets refused on something I asked about rather than something more important like one or more of the criteria not being met in their eyes. But then we want her to come in 9 weeks time so the sooner she applies the sooner we'll get a decision and can decide what to do from there.

your right some people do go out late, but they dont want to be sorting out some person they dont knows visa.

If you wanted good advice ,which i know you do get on this forum, then you give people time to answer. It seems to me you are demanding an answer

As that is the reason for the visit, that is what you should put. In answer to Q8.4 you can either say "See Q 9" or "See sponsor's letter," depending on where you put this information.

Despite Chivas' response, this is a perfectly reasonable reason for visiting one's boyfriend in the UK, and as it is a visit then a visit visa is what she should be applying for.

The only possible problem is that saying you intend to marry in October may lead the ECO to believe that you intend to do so in the UK.

So, you should make it clear that:-

• it is your intention to marry in Thailand,
  • that you understand that if the intention were to marry in the UK then she should be applying for a marriage visit visa, not a tourist one and
  • you understand that if you were to marry in the UK whilst she was there as a visitor she would still have to return to Thailand in order to apply for settlement.

As that is the reason for the visit, that is what you should put. In answer to Q8.4 you can either say "See Q 9" or "See sponsor's letter," depending on where you put this information.

Despite Chivas' response, this is a perfectly reasonable reason for visiting one's boyfriend in the UK, and as it is a visit then a visit visa is what she should be applying for.

The only possible problem is that saying you intend to marry in October may lead the ECO to believe that you intend to do so in the UK.

So, you should make it clear that:-

• it is your intention to marry in Thailand,
  • that you understand that if the intention were to marry in the UK then she should be applying for a marriage visit visa, not a tourist one and
  • you understand that if you were to marry in the UK whilst she was there as a visitor she would still have to return to Thailand in order to apply for settlement.

Thanks for the various answers, but this one covered what others have said so seemed the best one to quote. I appreciate the deadline was too tight so didn't DHL it in the end. As there's a DHL collection point in WHSmiths I'll take it later today (so technically it'll ship Monday).

In my covering letter I had written "The primary purpose of her visit is to meet my family ahead of us marrying in Thailand on 10th October, but it will also be an opportunity for us to spend much more time together as even though we video chat for 3 to 4 hours every night, this is no substitute for being together". I'm thinking, however, because of what's been said, that I should stop after "more time together"? This paragraph also talks about meeting my friends, tasting our food, experiencing our weather "all important factors ahead of her having to make a decision as to whether she would want us to live in the UK or Thailand after we’re married". I've infered that she'll be returning to Thailand by the fact that we will marry there, but do I need to state it more obviously? I do say "In line with the terms of the visa she will not work while in the UK".

In 8.4 I went for "Meet boyfriend's family and friends, visit a relative, tourism (visit London)".

For 8.7 I put "With boyfriend Garry xxxx at his home: (address here)". I haven't, however, described the house in any way, but I have sent my mortgage statement for 2012 as part of the financial evidence as I have over £8000 overpayment as a contingency. In my covering letter in the section explaining I'll be paying for absolutely everything I do mention "provide accommodation in my home", maybe I should expand by including something like "(a 3 bedroomed property in which I live alone"?

Her aunt is detailed in the appropriate sections regarding visiting relatives.

In part 9 marrying in Thailand on October 10th 2013 was repeated along with mention of the possibility that land may be purchased by the family as a wedding gift.

Sorry the short notice annoyed some people, totally understandable, I'm trying to balance getting my finger out to give us as long as possible to decide what to do if they say no, with trying to get everything as right as we can first time round. It's always been said that a 5 month trip when we'll have only been together for that time if/when she comes is a big ask, but I've got to try...

Garry

As I, and others, pointed out in your previous thread, five months is an awful long time for a hoilday in the UK, that doesn't mean your girlfriends visa would automatically be refused, but the ECO will most certainly be looking at the application in detail. What does she intend to do when your at work?

Good luck to you both.

Do you think we should add something into part 9? "While my boyfriend is at work I intend to spend some of my time with his retired mother, walk his brothers' dogs, listen to music, cook, and chat with friends back home via the Internet". Open to suggestions as I'm not sure what she'll do but she assures me she'll be absolutely fine. The wife of my best friend is very much like her, knows everyone, will talk to anyone. She works at a hairdressers in the village so I'm sure the girlfriend will go to see her from time to time too.

Thanks for the best wishes, lets hope we're lucky and get a yes (much to some peoples surprise I'm sure).

I always give a description of the property together with a few photos so that there is no doubt about the suitability of the house.

Also expand the statement about no intention to work to say that you understand the conditions of the visa and will comply...no work...return within the validity...

The bank in the foyer of Regent house are helpful, they know the fees and the payee details. I would suggest for simplicity, get the cheque there.

I confirm that. When it was Siam City Bank 3 years ago, they issued a cashiers check against cash and had the different visa fees taped to the counter. Thanachart now own the bank and the chap at the door filled in the form for the cashiers check while my wife waited. The visa fees are posted on the wall where the check request forms are. They have an ATM if you need to pull the cash first. There's also a Bangkok Bank ATM other side of the lobby.

Thanks for the advice that has been given, a few changes were made as a result. I didn't have time to give more information about my property beyond what was mentioned above - I added "(a 3 bedroomed property in which I live alone)" to my sponsors invitation letter and a mortgage statement was already part of the supporting documentation. However, I've already started to put something together should the visa be refused and it looks like expanding on this in the re-application will help.

In the end I didn't get everything sent until Monday as DHL didn't seem to cover her region near to Cambodia. For a while I was looking at sending everything to a relative in Bangkok and getting her to collect it from there, but I found UPS could deliver so used them. A bit expensive for a few documents, but I was going around in circles and had to get it sent. All being well it should be there Friday.

I'm still open to any advice as to things to put under additional info in Part 9. We've requested the visa start date is delayed to March 18th and I think I'll get her to add a note to the front of the document pack as well as suggested. At this stage I didn't add anything about what she'll do when I'm at work, but it'll be a week before she does the application online so plenty of time to add anything if we need to...

Thanks again everyone, sorry it's all so last minute. I'll be following up this post with a "Thai Gf First Visit To Uk (Part 3)" in a few weeks when we get our decision, hopefully detailing everything we did to get the visa approved to help others applying rather than looking at what we need to do to overcome reasons given for refusal. Fingers crossed.

Garry

Good luck to you both.

Do you think we should add something into part 9? "While my boyfriend is at work I intend to spend some of my time with his retired mother, walk his brothers' dogs, listen to music, cook, and chat with friends back home via the Internet". Open to suggestions as I'm not sure what she'll do but she assures me she'll be absolutely fine. The wife of my best friend is very much like her, knows everyone, will talk to anyone. She works at a hairdressers in the village so I'm sure the girlfriend will go to see her from time to time too.

Thanks for the best wishes, lets hope we're lucky and get a yes (much to some peoples surprise I'm sure).

I think watch Thai soaps all day on the internet is more realistic..

From what i have read, your application is similar to mine last year except that you have a better place for her to stay. As long as you are honest and all the docs authentic, I think you'll get the visa easily. If you have time before she leaves, I would look into getting her a Schengen visa so you can take her to Europe as well.