Where To Buy An Iron Or Steel Frying Pan

vagabond48

My wife wants a 28 or 30cm frying pan. I've gone to a number of stores including a couple in Chinatown but if they do have pans, they mostly have the non-stick variety or smaller steel ones. Perhaps someone knows where I might be able to purchase one.

Thanks! :)

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I've been to Makro, Robinson and Index. I plan to visit the Seagull store. A friend mention a Zebra store as well. Hopefully I'll find one. I miss my long gone "100" year old simple iron skillet. smile.png

Please be aware. Your 100 year old pan was a different iron, was made in the West and what I know of was the USA, and it was ground and polished on the inside. Then someone seasoned it and kept it seasoned probably with bacon grease. Eons ago my mother would start a new pan out by coating it liberally with bacon grease and then putting it into the oven for quite some time. Periodically she would repeat with all of her cast iron skillets, waffle iron, griddle, etc.

The only place I know to get the real stuff any more is on ebay. The new stuff I've seen is all made in China, and they don't bother to grind and polish the insides. They are useless and not the same iron. There's lots of it on ebay and maybe you could talk someone into shipping it to you. I think there were at least 3 major brands, and you'll begin to see what that was by the ones that are for sale with the same brands repeated.

• Like 2

Last year i was looking for a carbon steel wok in Bangkok. Never found one until we found a lot in a store in Ban Chang, but by that time i had bought one from Oz which in strange i know ,but all the Chinese supermarkets in Oz sell them in carbon steel, as well as stainless and sometimes those horrible aluminium and Teflon coated things. I can only use carbon steel woks.

Could not find frying pans either but to bring a good quality cast iron frypan from Oz would take half my luggage allowance in weight and with all the cheese and all the other goodies then it becomes impracticable.

I bought a couple of 12" cast iron frying pans from Nakorn Kilo for about 700 baht each. They are very heavy with a 1cm wall thickness and a good quality casting. Their website, www.nakornkilo.com , indicates they have a branch in Chiangmai.

I bought a couple of 12" cast iron frying pans from Nakorn Kilo for about 700 baht each. They are very heavy with a 1cm wall thickness and a good quality casting. Their website, www.nakornkilo.com , indicates they have a branch in Chiangmai.

Though their site has an english tab, it doesn't appear to work. I am unable to see where they might be located in CM. I google search did not bring up anything.

Though their site has an english tab, it doesn't appear to work. I am unable to see where they might be located in CM. I google search did not bring up anything.

It says something like Branch No. 7 is located on the corner at the Robinson intersection on the same side of the road as Lotus. I haven't noticed it there but haven't been looking either.

It says something like Branch No. 7 is located on the corner at the Robinson intersection on the same side of the road as Lotus. I haven't noticed it there but haven't been looking either.

Can you tell me where is the Robinson intersection? Edited by vagabond48

Can you tell me where is the Robinson intersection?

I guess that would be the Airport Plaza intersection. Just a warning though: At the branch I bought mine, they did not even know they had any in stock until I found them. Raro might be your safest bet.

Edited by Boksida

I guess that would be the Airport Plaza intersection. Just a warning though: At the branch I bought mine, they did not even know they had any in stock until I found them. Raro might be your safest bet.

I forgot to ask how long ago you bought it.

we have them in 12" and 9"...PM me for more info

cool.png

Raro - I have ordered the full 12 inches of pleasure from your website this afternoon.

Can you please get it to me quickly, my missus says she just can't wait to get it in the oven... tongue.png

PS for anyone interested, that came in at 1350 Baht including EMS postage - good value in my opinion!

I forgot to ask how long ago you bought it.

About 2 years ago

we have them in 12" and 9"...PM me for more info

cool.png

Raro - I have ordered the full 12 inches of pleasure from your website this afternoon.

Can you please get it to me quickly, my missus says she just can't wait to get it in the oven... tongue.png

PS for anyone interested, that came in at 1350 Baht including EMS postage - good value in my opinion!

Don't tell my missus - she only had the 9 inch

Edited by JoePai