Recieving Mail In Thailand - Options?

tideout

Hi guys,

I'll be traveling back to Thailand in about 2 weeks and would like to have a family member mail me a Kindle from the States.

I'll have about 2 weeks in Thailand and would like to find a relatively easy place to pick up a FedEx or DHL package w/o issues of finding a pick up office in BKK.

Anyone have or use a FedEx/DHL/UPS pick up location with success?

Any thoughts are welcome on this but no need to direct me to the other threads on buying a Kindle on the forum as I've probably read most of them.

Thanks and regards.

tideout

You could almost guarantee that if sent via courier such as FedEx. DHL, TNT, UPS, that it'd be held up by Thai Customs for some god awful customs fee.

If coming via normal international mail, such as USPS to a Thai post office, you might, just might, get through for free.

The USPS (assuming mailing from the U.S., of course) has a good Priority Mail International plan.

Check here: https://www.usps.com/ship/priority-mail-international.htm

I often receive the the standard envelope with magazines, runs $16.95 for up to four pounds. Now and then the small box.

Mac

• Like 1

You could almost guarantee that if sent via courier such as FedEx. DHL, TNT, UPS, that it'd be held up by Thai Customs for some god awful customs fee.

If coming via normal international mail, such as USPS to a Thai post office, you might, just might, get through for free.

The USPS (assuming mailing from the U.S., of course) has a good Priority Mail International plan.

Check here: https://www.usps.com...ternational.htm

I often receive the the standard envelope with magazines, runs $16.95 for up to four pounds. Now and then the small box.

Mac

SOUND ADVICE !

From my experience using USPS Priority Mail International a small package can take 7-9 days on the low side to 11 -14 days on the high side when sent from a major city in the U.S. to BKK,... Anyone else have a different experience?

Best you buy it before you come. You'll pay a hefty tax on it in order to pick it up. When they mail it a customs declatration needs to be filled and that's where you get screwed. $400US is about 1800B, At least you can't say I told you so.

Thank you for the ideas on receiving something through the mail there. Unfortunately, I only have a two week window and don't want to have it mailed from the US until I'm on the plane and clearly arriving.

For that reason, I think it's better to go with DHL, FedEx or UPS. Any experiences with that?

I guess I can just try pecking my way through their sites for an easy stop hopefully near a Skytrain station......

From my experience using USPS Priority Mail International a small package can take 7-9 days on the low side to 11 -14 days on the high side when sent from a major city in the U.S. to BKK,... Anyone else have a different experience?

I'm awaiting a USPS International First Class package form Miami. Only letters and magazines sent by my mail service USABox. My first time doing this in Bangkok after many years of doing the same, but with DHL, in Argentina. The package was shipped Jan.17, so I guess I'm still in the expected "window". My question-will the package be delivered to my personal address in Lat Phrao, or will I receive notice and be expected to pick up the package at a post office ? Much thanks.

I've had packages delivered to my house with no additional charges and also packages that I had to pick up at the post offfice where I had to pay the 7% VAT. But the one time I had something sent DHL, I got charged 7% VAt and 30% customs. Never again, will always use USPS.

Wow, 30-37% is a pretty steep charge to risk to just get something while basically taking a vacation stop.

I may look into trying to get what I need in Hong Kong or at the HK airport instead.

Sucks as one package of something hardly makes me an importer!