How Thaksin Rules Thailand With Skype And Instant Messenger

george

It sticks in the craw that the coup was an unmitigated disaster, and that at every subsequent opportunity, a Thaksin affiliated government has emerged when the Thai people have visited the ballot box.

Thaksin can Skype all he likes, he's still a better option than the un-electable Democrats or a military dictatorship, which some posters seem to perversely wish were still in control.

The Thai economy is strong, the currency is strong, tourism is strong and many other factors of Thaksinomics are slowly improving the lives of everyday Thais, despite the ludicrous accusations from the increasingly maligned expat forum community.

Well I hope it remains in your craw because it doesn't bother mine. In fact the coup was needed to remove an individual (no, not a party) who had designs on the type of rule seen in Singapore or Zimbabwe. He never should have been allowed to become PM but his wife & Sanoh made sure of a loaded deck when he lied about his assets. Subsequent events since he was rightly kicked out reveal that he had even more assets abroad than the ones he lied about.

The only sense that he is better than Dems is in corruption. It's the expats who swallow the PTP & red shirt line who need sympathy for aligning themselves with the brainwashed local people.

As for the economy, the view is mixed. The debt is mounting (even excluding over B1tn swept under the carpet), the rice scam is a mess, the 'brilliant' first car subsidy is gridlocking BKK even more, tourism is doing well only if you believe the numbers trotted out without proof. The lives of ordinary Thais would be a dam_n site better off if corruption wasn't such a drawback. Inflation is increasing, hurting the poorest the most - when a government has to 'ask' food producers to hold their prices you always know something is wrong.

I love Thailand & want it to raise it's GDP for all citizens - not just the party & their supporters.

Zimbabwe!!!

I am sure U have been told a million times not to exaggerate!!!

Yes Zimbabwe. I have posted before on parallels between Thaksin & Mugabe.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

By their own admission, he's successfully reaching the government...

cut_zps409a44d6.jpg

Ah yes, yet another snippet from which newspaper??? Your esteemed Nation???? For that matter, there are very few viable media resources remaining on this planet.... Most of the Dems sheeple on these forums can only read (very) selectively. Not sticking up for Thaksin, just making the point that the dems are FAR from being squeaky clean....

rolleyes.gif

the same tired old line with minimal variation...

Not sticking up for Thaksin, but....

Anyway, for the benefit of yourself and any other PTP sheeple posters who also didn't bother to read the OP....

the quote is from the OP, quoting the New York Times.

wink.png

And my quote >>> For that matter, there are very few viable media resources remaining on this planet.... Most of the Dems sheeple on these forums can only read (very) selectively.<<<<< The west certainly has it's share of sheeple news casters, writers, and blowhards. (In both our countries Buchholz). In short, most news is lies and propaganda.

Good backtracking on your standard The Nation bashing, as well as avoiding that PTP sheeple posters who read no less selectively... (or as the quoted example above illustrates, can't be bothered to read at all).

In regards to the particular quote, are you saying the author is lying when he says the government itself is admitting that its decisions are being made in Dubai?

Edited by Buchholz
  • Like 1

Good for Thai development ! Khun Thaksin is not more criminal than anyone else in Thai political game !!!

But he is criminal. Maybe they should be stopping all the criminals, rather than coming out with "Oh, buy they did it too, so it's OK if Thaksin does it."

it makes a mockery of justice..if you do the crime you should do the time.... but seems if you are corrupt enough you do not do the time...

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

If I may add.... if you are "big" enough to hold a country hostage, you don't have to do the time.

His sister is the big boss. Why doesn't he return? He has the support of the masses

Perhaps, his love of Thailand is paramount.

I expect that the much beloved former PM has chosen to remain in exile during the period of reconciliation.

It looks like you too miss him, as do many millions of Thais. You will have to maintain your resolve and try to understand that the beloved former PM is sacrificing his own life for the future of the nation. Do not be glum, but instead, take solace in the dedication to Thailand that the former PM shows. Turn your frown upside down and support the national reconciliation effort.

And remember, you can tune in to some of the many inspirational talks that former PM Thaksin provides.

Unfortunately, I haven't been watching as the work schedule has been rather heavy. Laundry, trimming the cat's nails, annual budgets, checking out the birds etc.

Gosh! Are you serious????

Yet the article does not tell the world that he is wanted for more criminale cases not brought by the coup makers.. If your gonna write an article atleast tell the whole truth

Yes, most of the foreign press seems to leave that small detail out. Not surprising.

From the article:

"A highly politicized case initiated by the coup makers"

I guess newspapers don't research their articles these days.

It is a fact that nowadays news is just passed on. News agencies just assume that the story they are grabbing has been research for facts already. I personally know of a false story that has been circulating for the past 13 years and to date no research has been done to check for facts. Hundreds of thousands of people believe this story. It happens a lot these days.

You could but there would be no evidence to support it.The tide had turned against Thaksin and eventually he would have been voted out of office.You can argue against this to the effect that he was about to impose totalitarian controls, but again there is no evidence to support this.The truth is that the coup was an unmitigated disaster for Thailand, the ostensible "cure" that was worse than the disease.The terrible irony is that, even putting aside the criminality of those involved and taking their declared motives at face value, history will demonstrate that their efforts were counter productive.

Well J boy I dont know if you were in Thailand when the coup took place, heck I dont even know if you have ever been to Thailand.

I was here and saw how well the army was received, with smiles, handshakes and red roses even.

Then what did the army do? did they hold on to power like in Burma? no they held an election and when Thaksins proxy party won the did the army interfear, no they accepted the peoples choice.

You must know Thaksins status at the time of the coup, a caretaker PM who had overstayed his term and showed no sign of holding an election.

The coup would appear to be a desperation thing (The only way to get rid of Thaksin and return to an elected Govt) by an army who did not want to be in control or in power, the fact that they held an election shows that.

If you want to comment on unmitigated disaster you should look no farther then the red shirt riots, something that Fuller seems to have missed.

Fullers badly researched article which in places is completly in error seems to be some sort of attempt to show that Thaksins manipulation of the country is a good thing, why that would be I could only guess.

Spot on! The Coup was welcomed by the people,and they did everything they said they would. The Coup makers were probably the most honest Government seen in Thailand for many years,and stepped down when they said they would.

• Like 1

Good backtracking on your standard The Nation bashing, as well as avoiding that PTP sheeple posters who read no less selectively... (or as the quoted example above illustrates, can't be bothered to read at all).

In regards to the particular quote, are you saying the author is lying when he says the government itself is admitting that its decisions are being made in Dubai?

Not at all "dude"... some NOT ALL decisions are surely made there (We can only ASSume...). Back to the side note on my part. "no less selectively" - good point. And... most (say, 99.9%) of the news one reads anywhere or (worse yet) watches is bull poop.

Not at all "dude"... some NOT ALL decisions are surely made there (We can only ASSume...). Back to the side note on my part. "no less selectively" - good point. And... most (say, 99.9%) of the news one reads anywhere or (worse yet) watches is bull poop.

Agreeably not all decisions are made by Thaksin.

As the article says, the most important political decisions are made by him.

He likely gives Yingluck free rein on deciding which outfits to wear to her various public relations functions.

Edited by Buchholz
  • Like 2

When I was here years ago, I successfully ran my business in Claifornia with Skype. Why should he? I am not a fan of Thaksin, just pointing out the obvious. Why would he run Thailand without the tools currently available? It is very effective.

When I was here years ago, I successfully ran my business in Claifornia with Skype. Why should he? I am not a fan of Thaksin, just pointing out the obvious. Why would he run Thailand without the tools currently available? It is very effective.

The real question of course should be 'why would he be allowed the run the country as he likes'.?

ermm.gif

His sister is the big boss. Why doesn't he return? He has the support of the masses

As I remember the last election, Yingluk only got around 50% of the vote- hardly an overwhelming "masses".

All this strange weather must be affecting people's IQs

If he ruled Thailand he would be back in Thailand.........is there anybody here who cannot follow this simple logic?.........Let us be clear about this Thaksin influences Thai politics from Dubai....nothing more.

Yeah! I don't follow your "simple" logic. The man has an army of sheep with their hands out waiting to be paid to do his bidding ... is the way I see it, and nothing less. IMO!

• Like 1

Perhaps, his love of Thailand is paramount.

I expect that the much beloved former PM has chosen to remain in exile during the period of reconciliation.

It looks like you too miss him, as do many millions of Thais. You will have to maintain your resolve and try to understand that the beloved former PM is sacrificing his own life for the future of the nation. Do not be glum, but instead, take solace in the dedication to Thailand that the former PM shows. Turn your frown upside down and support the national reconciliation effort.

And remember, you can tune in to some of the many inspirational talks that former PM Thaksin provides.

Unfortunately, I haven't been watching as the work schedule has been rather heavy. Laundry, trimming the cat's nails, annual budgets, checking out the birds etc.

Time heals almost everything.............give the time some time to work.clap2.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

The mandate of the people is with the Thai government and its leader Rt.Hon. Yingluck Shinawatra. There is nothing that can be done within Thai Law to change that. Thailand's relationship with the international community is in good order. The institutions and ministries of Thailand are in good order. The country is returning to peaceful harmony. The Thai people appear to be satisfied. Would anyone in their right mind want Thailand to return to the instability of the last decade?

• Like 1

If he ruled Thailand he would be back in Thailand.........is there anybody here who cannot follow this simple logic?.........Let us be clear about this Thaksin influences Thai politics from Dubai....nothing more.

Yeah! I don't follow your "simple" logic. The man has an army of sheep with their hands out waiting to be paid to do his bidding ... is the way I see it, and nothing less. IMO!

Furthermore, quoting the article's "by the government's own admission, he makes the major political decisions" goes significantly past 473geo's much tamer "influences Thai politics"

• Like 2

The mandate of the people is with the Thai government and its leader Rt.Hon. Yingluck Shinawatra. There is nothing that can be done within Thai Law to change that. Thailand's relationship with the international community is in good order. The institutions and ministries of Thailand are in good order. The country is returning to peaceful harmony. The Thai people appear to be satisfied. Would anyone in their right mind want Thailand to return to the instability of the last decade?

Now after this Tourist Authority of Thailand promotional clip can we return to the topic of "Thaksin rules Thailand" ? wai.gif

:cheesy:

all that's missing are the glossy photos of the brochures...

• Like 2

Now after this Tourist Authority of Thailand promotional clip can we return to the topic of "Thaksin rules Thailand" ? wai.gif

The quote is as grossly over-exaggerated and inaccurate as the TAT tourist figures are.

The quote is as grossly over-exaggerated and inaccurate as the TAT tourist figures are.

Mr. T, Tip o' the hat to ya mate. I'm still laughing. Sorry, there just wasn't an adequate (enough) icon to express my emotion.

Mr. T, Tip o' the hat to ya mate. I'm still laughing. Sorry, there just wasn't an adequate (enough) icon to express my emotion.

Careful with the "Mr. T" . . . I'd hate for people to get me confused with Mr. Thaksin . . . or B A Barracus for that matter . . . cheesy.gif

You could but there would be no evidence to support it.The tide had turned against Thaksin and eventually he would have been voted out of office.You can argue against this to the effect that he was about to impose totalitarian controls, but again there is no evidence to support this.The truth is that the coup was an unmitigated disaster for Thailand, the ostensible "cure" that was worse than the disease.The terrible irony is that, even putting aside the criminality of those involved and taking their declared motives at face value, history will demonstrate that their efforts were counter productive.

Well J boy I dont know if you were in Thailand when the coup took place, heck I dont even know if you have ever been to Thailand.

I was here and saw how well the army was received, with smiles, handshakes and red roses even.

Then what did the army do? did they hold on to power like in Burma? no they held an election and when Thaksins proxy party won the did the army interfear, no they accepted the peoples choice.

You must know Thaksins status at the time of the coup, a caretaker PM who had overstayed his term and showed no sign of holding an election.

The coup would appear to be a desperation thing (The only way to get rid of Thaksin and return to an elected Govt) by an army who did not want to be in control or in power, the fact that they held an election shows that.

If you want to comment on unmitigated disaster you should look no farther then the red shirt riots, something that Fuller seems to have missed.

Fullers badly researched article which in places is completly in error seems to be some sort of attempt to show that Thaksins manipulation of the country is a good thing, why that would be I could only guess.

I was living there then as well. Only thing I noticed was that I couldn't get BBC or CNN on UBC that day. Internet was still working. I seem to recall them teliing everyone to take the day off. As far as I could tell nothing really changed. Although right after the coup they changed it so that you could no longer live there on endless 30 day tourist visas. 3 in a row and you had to leave for 6 months I think it was. I ended up marrying my now wife and got a 1 year Non-O multi entry at the Thai embassy in Singapore.

Personally I thought the coup was a good thing. As I recall Thaksin was in some weird political status (caretaker PM I think they called it) before the coup. He had won a landslide election that the other parties boycotted. I think he waited like a month for royal endorsement which never came. I also remember seeing him on TV crying about it. I kinda have a hard time calling it an election when his party was the only one running and then when he won, he never got royal endorsement to make the thing legal. The army stepped in, ran the country for awhile, then had an election which Thaksin's party won. The only reason Abhisit was the PM, was because a certain party bailed on the PPP at the time and alligned themselves with the Democrats. That's how things work in a parlaimentary system. I think all of that would've happened anyway without the need to hold Bangkok hostage for 2 months and start a bunch of fires.

Before someone jumps in with the yellows shutting down the airport, that was idiotic as well, although a bunch of people didn't die over it.

• Like 2

begin removed ...

Before someone jumps in with the yellows shutting down the airport, that was idiotic as well, although a bunch of people didn't die over it.

Correct, not a bunch died, only one.

"2008-12-02

Protester killed by grenade at Thai airport Don Muang

One anti-government protester was killed and 22 injured when a grenade was fired into Bangkok's domestic Don Muang airport, it was reported last night.

The attack came shortly after midnight local time, hours before before a ruling in an electoral fraud case which could deal a crippling blow to the government."

http://www.guardian....dec/02/thailand

Edited by rubl
  • Like 2