How Thaksin Rules Thailand With Skype And Instant Messenger

george

If he ruled Thailand he would be back in Thailand.........is there anybody here who cannot follow this simple logic?.........Let us be clear about this Thaksin influences Thai politics from Dubai....nothing more.

Yeah! I don't follow your "simple" logic. The man has an army of sheep with their hands out waiting to be paid to do his bidding ... is the way I see it, and nothing less. IMO!

I coud have sworn I saw a comment by Magic saying the people of Thailand welcomed the coup........now they have voted for PTP suddenly they are "an army of sheep" you anti Thaksin guys really need to get skype and get your act together....smile.png

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If he ruled Thailand he would be back in Thailand.........is there anybody here who cannot follow this simple logic?.........Let us be clear about this Thaksin influences Thai politics from Dubai....nothing more.

Yeah! I don't follow your "simple" logic. The man has an army of sheep with their hands out waiting to be paid to do his bidding ... is the way I see it, and nothing less. IMO!

Furthermore, quoting the article's "by the government's own admission, he makes the major political decisions" goes significantly past 473geo's much tamer "influences Thai politics"

Tell me guys why is the amnesty not through yet.....skype being going down at the wrong time has it?.......or maybe it is as I say.....one man in Dubai does not rule Thailand by skype, proxy or any other method....

The Taksin haters are out in force again, poor guy never seems to get any credit for trying to clean up the cesspit thats Thailand!

Correction "Taksin rules" not Taksin influences

How's he doing then? Is there anyone able to do a better job? I reckon they're all about the same.

• Like 1

Furthermore, quoting the article's "by the government's own admission, he makes the major political decisions" goes significantly past 473geo's much tamer "influences Thai politics"

Tell me guys why is the amnesty not through yet.....skype being going down at the wrong time has it?.......or maybe it is as I say.....one man in Dubai does not rule Thailand by skype, proxy or any other method....

In contrast, as the author and the government itself say... he makes the major political decisions.

The decision to keep pushing forward with the amnesty, then eventually backing off, pausing, then attempting to push that agenda again, and the backing off of it again, has been going on repeatedly since Samak was his first self-admitted proxy. The efforts have included a number of different tactics including enactment of an amnesty law, requesting for a Royal Pardon, initiating constitutional amendments, expanding to an entire constitutional rewrite, and the latest, a Prime Ministerial Executive Decree.

Those decisions, as has been declared by his latest set of self-admitted proxies and one declared clone, have been Thaksin's decisions.

Just because those decisions to start and and then stop those actions defy logic in your mind, doesn't mean he's not the one making them. He has a long history of making decisions that transcend logic.

Why has he been deciding to do this pushing and retreating now for going on five years? There's several possibilities. IMO the main reason could be due to subject matter we can't discuss.

Edited by Buchholz
  • Like 1

A perceptive analysis.

Your implication is that there is, actually, some sort of impediment to an electoral process that keeps a repeatedly elected PM out of office.

Your final sentence says it all.

Edited by philw

A perceptive analysis.

Your implication is that there is, actually, some sort of impediment to an electoral process that keeps a repeatedly elected PM out of office.

But, the elected PM IS in office.

A perceptive analysis.

Your misreading my post. It's not an electoral process that's being impeded. For example, Yingluck could issue an Executive Decree this afternoon or Samak's government, in place after the unimpeded elelectoral process was completed, could have processed an amnesty law within a month, five years ago.

Edited by Buchholz

I thank you both for your notably fast responses.

WB agrees that an elected PM is in office and BZ notes that,, somehow the efforts of that elected PM are obtusely thwarted.

She is the elected PM receiving instructions from her brother. But there are still processes to go through and she doesn't just get to do everything she wants.

Even though she was elected, people are allowed to protest her decisions. I'm sure you'd agree with that, Phil?

• Like 1

I wish some Thai -Thai people could be in the leadership roles, and not be motivated by money, but the Thai people and their problems.

Imagine if America was run by the Native Americans, we would still have wildlife and an unpolluted environment there! Everywhere we go we get sold out by our beloved politicians.

The Taksin haters are out in force again, poor guy never seems to get any credit for trying to clean up the cesspit thats Thailand!

No, he is trying to clean up IN the cesspit that is Thailand! And to be the biggest turd in the pit.

Isn't it funny how the same ones that were bitching about "unelected elites" a couple years ago have absolutely no problem with this?

Well it all depends upon to what extent you believe the OP is accurately describing the influence Thaksin has. 743geo was on the ball. Ozmicks suggestion is just plain stupid and misogynist.

muttley can you please enlighten the misinformed members of this board and accurately describe what if any influence Thaksin has? Edited by Pimay1

If Thailand is saddled by being governed by a man residing overseas, then it's mainly the Thai peoples' fault for allowing that to happen. Whether or not they sold their vote for a few hundred baht, the majority voted for the proxy in Dubai. If some of the sheeple are now waking up to see the lies and bad decisions handed down from afar, then they only have themselves to blame. Maybe they'll get a lick of sense by the time the next election rolls along. If not, and they again vote for the man in Dubai, then they will again suffer the consequences of bad decisions and piss-poor gov't for ensuing years.

• Like 1

It sticks in the craw that the coup was an unmitigated disaster, and that at every subsequent opportunity, a Thaksin affiliated government has emerged when the Thai people have visited the ballot box.

Thaksin can Skype all he likes, he's still a better option than the un-electable Democrats or a military dictatorship, which some posters seem to perversely wish were still in control.

The Thai economy is strong, the currency is strong, tourism is strong and many other factors of Thaksinomics are slowly improving the lives of everyday Thais, despite the ludicrous accusations from the increasingly maligned expat forum community.

So you're in favour of a government that lies, cheats, streals, makes appointments based on nepotism and cronyism, ignores laws. You believe this a good option. The Thai economy, currency etc are in good shape - do you really think that is down to any policy or action the current government have inacted in their relaitvely short tenure. If so, please tell us these wonderful policies and implementation details. Your views on how the rice pledging scam scheme is strenghtening the economy, and which government fiscal and monetary polices are directly responsible for the recent appreciation of the THB will be really interesting.

Or could it be things are ok despite the current gang? And like many crooks, they happen to be in the right place at the right time?

• Like 2

Got to wondering why Fuller had to go meet Thaksin in London, then realised brown envelopes dont pass well through Skype.

Can we see your evidence for that scurrilous accusation or it is just hot air as usual?

If I were you I would be more careful about throwing around accusations you can't prove, especially with Thailand's archaic defamation laws.

It sticks in the craw that the coup was an unmitigated disaster, and that at every subsequent opportunity, a Thaksin affiliated government has emerged when the Thai people have visited the ballot box.

Thaksin can Skype all he likes, he's still a better option than the un-electable Democrats or a military dictatorship, which some posters seem to perversely wish were still in control.

The Thai economy is strong, the currency is strong, tourism is strong and many other factors of Thaksinomics are slowly improving the lives of everyday Thais, despite the ludicrous accusations from the increasingly maligned expat forum community.

So you're in favour of a government that lies, cheats, streals, makes appointments based on nepotism and cronyism, ignores laws. You believe this a good option. The Thai economy, currency etc are in good shape - do you really think that is down to any policy or action the current government have inacted in their relaitvely short tenure. If so, please tell us these wonderful policies and implementation details. Your views on how the rice pledging scam scheme is strenghtening the economy, and which government fiscal and monetary polices are directly responsible for the recent appreciation of the THB will be really interesting.

Or could it be things are ok despite the current gang? And like many crooks, they happen to be in the right place at the right time?

All governments cheat and steal in office, some more than others. They all make appointments to suit including members of their own families, parties and affiliated organisations. The Democrats have been caught with their hand in the till more than once in the 90's and are still have Chuan behind the scenes (who incidentally has a corruption conviction to his name and Abhisit is his acolyte) and the military took their recent junta spending to uncontrolled and unparalleled levels. It is the way of things here. If the Thai people elect a government, as they have done here, then that is the legitimate government and they have a mandate to govern within the political system. It is up to the opposition parties and the courts to keep that ruling government in check.

Whatever the doubters say, Thaksinomics is working and working well. This despite every attempt of the ruling classes to thwart his populist government at every turn, holding the country to ransom through street protests and bargains with criminal political gangsters like Newin in collusion with the military. Thankfully the solid foundations set by the Thaksin administrations in the early 2000's are continuing to pay off. Most Thais are enjoying new levels of prosperity, the economy is great shape, tourism continues to grow, foreign investment continues to flow into the country and the future looks bright indeed.

The evidence speaks for itself despite your denials.

Let's contrast that with the Democrat Party's foray into overwhelming unpopularity with their bitter medicine policies in the late 90's, when their government messed up a gargantuan opportunity to consolidate their position as the favoured political party. Instead they were so despised in the country's poorest areas that they set up an easy landslide election victory for Thaksin's populist TRT. The Democrat's have never recovered and probably never will, although they are now trying to emulate the populist approach perfected by Thaksin they are still too ensconsed within the old guard to be taken seriously.

The old school know their time is at an end, and a new era beckons, but they are not going without a fight, and I believe they will bring this country to its knees in the process.

Enjoy these peaceful times fellow bar-stool navel gazers, as they will surely come to an end when the military-backed ruling class moves against Thaksin for the final time. Whether Thailand will recover or turn into another basket case, who knows?

• Like 2

The Democrats have been caught with their hand in the till more than once in the 90's and are still have Chuan behind the scenes (who incidentally has a corruption conviction to his name and Abhisit is his acolyte)

It's not easy to find a link, but I vaguely remember that k. Chuan had been gifted with one or two shares and didn't think of it. A really honest mistake involving undeclared assets of about 225,000 Baht if I remember correctly. Now of course that puts him in the same league as k. Thaksin the de-facto ruler of Thailand. Suthep is a completely different matter, allegedly of course, defamation laws are strict rolleyes.gif

http://atimes.com/re...s/CA05Ai01.html

Edited by rubl

All governments cheat and steal in office, some more than others. They all make appointments to suit including members of their own families, parties and affiliated organisations. The Democrats have been caught with their hand in the till more than once in the 90's and are still have Chuan behind the scenes (who incidentally has a corruption conviction to his name and Abhisit is his acolyte) and the military took their recent junta spending to uncontrolled and unparalleled levels.

Actually, the Democrats didn't take military spending "to uncontrolled and unparalleled levels".

They actually reduced military spending.

http://www.google.co.th/publicdata/explore?ds=d5bncppjof8f9_&met_y=ms_mil_xpnd_gd_zs&idim=country:THA&dl=en&hl=en&q=military%20expenditure%20as%20percentage%20of%20gdp%20thailand

Have I missed something here?

Seems to me like Mr Thaksin enjoys the support of about 1% of the ex-pat community in Thailand and the other 99% think he's some kind of power crazy criminal looking for the star spot in the next James Bond film.

I've lived in Thailand, before, during, after, and back again to the Shinawtra era. My experience is that we (ex-pats and Thais alike) were and still are better off under Mr Thaksin's leadership than any other government during the past 30 years. If you don't agree, can anyone give me any good reasons to think otherwise?

• Like 2

Seems to me like Mr Thaksin enjoys the support of about 1% of the ex-pat community in Thailand and the other 99% think he's some kind of power crazy criminal looking for the star spot in the next James Bond film.

I've lived in Thailand, before, during, after, and back again to the Shinawtra era. My experience is that we (ex-pats and Thais alike) were and still are better off under Mr Thaksin's leadership than any other government during the past 30 years. If you don't agree, can anyone give me any good reasons to think otherwise?

You were better off under a global economic boom. Unless you think that Thaksin helped a few other economies besides Thailand's?

• Like 1

Yet his hands are in everything. His sister is PM! SISTER NONG SAO We know whats going on but no one wants to stop it

Edited by metisdead
: 30) Do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes, added emoticons, or altered wording.

Thaksinomics was starting to fail and if those policies had been continued 2007 and surely 2008 would have seen many problems with the rest of the World getting into the banking bubble burst. Thailand did fairly well economically following and still continues. Still major populistics schemes with lots of borrowing may help at this moment, but only for a short while. If the rest of the World doesn't pick up by 2014/2015 there'll be another problem.

As for 'better of' that's relative. Over decades things improved, but for some very, very slowly. The 1997 crisis with reserves depleted under PM Chavalit and the following three years of austerity regime under PM Chuan makes the first PM Thaksin government seem better than it really was.

IMHO of coursewai.gif

Edited by rubl
  • Like 1

There are some points to be made here.

1.Thai Visa (TV) has many expatriate members, most of whose political opinions are unknown.

2.I am not sure there is such a thing as the expatriate "community" in Thailand because the numbers are so huge.Retired/reformed sex tourists (a larger number than often conceded) and senior corporate executives live in completely separate worlds

3.There are thousands of expatriates (for example senior managers who have no interest in visa runs etc) who do not participate in Thai Visa or are even aware of its existence.

4.Look at Thai Visa's advertisers and that will tell you a great deal about the core membership.

5.There is a curious paradox in that that the higher status and better educated expatriates, while dubious to say the least about Thaksin, are quite sympathetic to many aspects of the redshirt case.There are some exceptions but not many

6.Conversely the unelected elites seem to attract a great deal of support from less well educated expatriates of the lower and lower middle classes.Again there are some exceptions.

7.I would be cautious about attributing Thailand's performance to politicians of any stripe.The more important factors are a dynamic private sector and a very capable higher bureaucracy, particularly in the key economic and financial departments.

• Like 1

There are some points to be made here.

1.Thai Visa (TV) has many expatriate members, most of whose political opinions are unknown.

2.I am not sure there is such a thing as the expatriate "community" in Thailand because the numbers are so huge.Retired/reformed sex tourists (a larger number than often conceded) and senior corporate executives live in completely separate worlds

3.There are thousands of expatriates (for example senior managers who have no interest in visa runs etc) who do not participate in Thai Visa or are even aware of its existence.

4.Look at Thai Visa's advertisers and that will tell you a great deal about the core membership.

5.There is a curious paradox in that that the higher status and better educated expatriates, while dubious to say the least about Thaksin, are quite sympathetic to many aspects of the redshirt case.There are some exceptions but not many

6.Conversely the unelected elites seem to attract a great deal of support from less well educated expatriates of the lower and lower middle classes.Again there are some exceptions.

7.I would be cautious about attributing Thailand's performance to politicians of any stripe.The more important factors are a dynamic private sector and a very capable higher bureaucracy, particularly in the key economic and financial departments.

The term "BS" comes to mind. rolleyes.gif

• Like 2