Leaving Los For Phillipines?

I'm in the Philipines now. What a dump.

Even when I travel upcountry in Thailand are conditions better.

As we travel out of Manila, we were stopped multiple times asking to make "donations" at road blocks.

Never seen this in Thailand.

Can't wait to come back to Thailand!

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OT .

a PI girl turned up at a bbq I had in HK years ago . She brought some PI dayglo pink sausages as a present for my PI gf . It was a nice bbq with home made burgers and barrells of German beer .The party went on all night and into the next morning and a bunch of us were still standing round the embers thinking about breakfast but there was none to be had . So Pi gf went and got the sausages her pal had brought and we threw them on the barby , so to speak . When they were all nice and brown and not dayglo pink anymore we all skewered one ready for the eating and then simultaneously took a bite and then as one , cried out "bbllueuueeeuueueaaaghhhh" and launched them one and all over the hedge into the neighbours garden . They were not from this world . Poor bastos having to eat that .

^^ Mate, I usually like your posts ... but I'm not understanding you now.

Have you been to the Phillipines and ingested their cuisine?

Noticed the huge USA influence there?

Is anyone else who has travelled to the Phillipines and eaten there disagree with me?

What exactly does dried fish and rice have in common with food in the US, because that is the staple diet of 3/4 of Filipinos?

And have you ever been to either country in order to form such an opinion?

The only thing Filipino that remotely resembles American food are all the fast food franchises all over the country. Other than that, there is no similarity in the every day diet of the typical American and Filipino.

As we travel out of Manila, we were stopped multiple times asking to make "donations" at road blocks.

Imagine have a gf/wife who smile all month if she get 100-200 USD a month - Try see what you get in other countries (She's gone).

Lol. Imagine then you be ask to sponsor her entire family, relatives and village to your country of origin, the Philippines dream of going aboard. Imagine a bigger smile. Then you look at the mirror.

Imagine have a gf/wife who smile all month if she get 100-200 USD a month - Try see what you get in other countries (She's gone).

Lol. Imagine then you be ask to sponsor her entire family, relatives and village to your country of origin, the Philippines dream of going aboard. Imagine a bigger smile. Then you look at the mirror.

Wrong. People of the Philippines don't demand anything, not same in some other countries. I met up with Cebu expats daily for 1 year, none had a problem with demands for money. None. Period.

A weak person who throw away money in the start, he ask for it. A smart person set the limits from day 1, and that's it. Problem solved.

^^ Mate, I usually like your posts ... but I'm not understanding you now.

Have you been to the Phillipines and ingested their cuisine?

Noticed the huge USA influence there?

Is anyone else who has travelled to the Phillipines and eaten there disagree with me?

I think we're agreeing, but semantics are getting in the way. Anyway, I'm not arguing, just don't understand.

I'm saying that outside of the California's Nouveau Cuisine in the 70s/80s, there really is no such thing as American cuisine.

I've eaten plenty of PI cuisine, overall, never cared for it much, either, but I'm at a loss as to how it was influenced by the States. Not that it wasn't mind you, just can put my finger on it.

But feel free to give an example or two.

Or not. smile.png

P.S. Please keep liking my posts.

Edited by HeijoshinCool
  • Like 1

If you get involved in a relationship woth a Pinoy girl , she will probably ask you for a loan because she needs to help her family and tell you it will be paid back . Then you will only get back 50% of the loan and it will continue like that until your relationship is over .

Edited by balo

If you get involved in a relationship woth a Pinoy girl , she will probably ask you for a loan because she needs to help her family and tell you it will be paid back . Then you will only get back 50% of the loan and it will continue like that until your relationship is over .

As I said before - set the Rules from day 1 - avoid future problems.

Day 1: ' Hon I love you and will give you ??? USD every month, but I will not support your parents or extended family, emergency or not, are we clear about that?' If your family don't understand that, I will leave'. You understand?

Then a typical good lady won't ask. Only weak men, who throw around money in the start, might be taken advantage of.

Majority don't have a job, staff in bakery shop earn as little as 50 USD month for 12 hours a day, 7 days a week. Locals I talked with, who was lucky enough to have a better job, got salary just above 100 USD for 10-12 hours work in a mall or other.

Don't compare Philippines with other SEA countries.

Wrong. People of the Philippines don't demand anything, not same in some other countries. I met up with Cebu expats daily for 1 year, none had a problem with demands for money. None. Period.

A weak person who throw away money in the start, he ask for it. A smart person set the limits from day 1, and that's it. Problem solved.

Don't think I am referring to money. Read again.

I just met some local girl here in the Philipines and the story is the same as in Thailand. Only difference is... She told her her goat is sick but her family is so poor. So it's goat instead of buffalo. Go figure.

They still hit up for money. No difference.

The food is always usually terrible. I spent 25 USD on a meal in the best restaurants in the malls, Beef tenderloin, Filet mignon and I felt I ate a sandal. The kitchen don't have a clue about medium rare or medium, whatever you order you get it well done. Luckily I found 2 restaurants that served delicious Pasta for 5 USD so I became a frequent guest.

Local restaurants with chicken or pork (2-5USD) was so dry and hard to chew, without lots of SML (San Miquel Light beer). You sure don't go to PI for the food. Thai restaurant in SM mall Cebu, and Ayala mall Cebu, did good business.smile.png

Krua Thai is the name of the restaurant,there's also one in Banilad.I was living there with a friend and his Thai girlfriend who said that the food was exactly the same as in Thailand,the Singha beer was 70 pesos a bottle also which is cheaper than Thailand!rolleyes.gif

Michelangelo's In Banilad for the best stone-baked pizza in Cebu,300 pesos/200 baht for a huge 12 inch seafood pizza,great wines far cheaper than Thailand also.Ayala Mall has dozens of good,cheap restaurants plus the nightlife is good there to,dance till dawn and after no problem if you want!

I lived in Cebu for a year and never saw the Police in all that time,to say they're worse than Thailand is just laughable and nonsense.They don't bother you at all in the Philippines compared to Thailand!rolleyes.gif

Just back in Thailand from Philippines, spent 1 year there in Cebu city and Bohol Island.

Here's my experience.

Getting there:

Cebu pacific air have direct flights (sundays only) Bangkok - Cebu.

Visa:

On arrival get 21 days. They might ask to see return ticket, but I was not asked the 2 times I arrived from abroad.

After 21 days extend to 59 days, then 2 months, 2 months ....

After 6 months stay one need a Exit Clearance from Immigration before departure.

After 16 months leave the country for a day, return next day for another 16 months.

Cost me around 1000 USD for a year. Visa agents can do the extension for you, fee 30 USD per time.

Exchange rate:

40% more than in Thailand, although visa costs and rentals will eat up this advantage.

Opening a Bank account:

The rules says that you need a ACR card, this you first get from Immigration after 60 days stay if I remember correct. Any expats can point you in direction of foreigner friendly banks, who allow you to opening account without the ACR card. I had my account within 7 days stay, and money transfer took 3 days normally, but up to 7 days if any holiday.

Philippines expats:

Since so few expats live here, expats are helpful and friendly. One took his car and showed me rentals around the city, and didn't want money for gas. We met up in malls around the city for lunch dinner talk, or a night out. A few alcoholics to be found, since beer here are so cheap, 4 small San Miquel bottles in a bucket of ice for 2.50 USD. Tourist numbers are rising. Last numbers passed 3 million visitors.

Apartment condo house for rent:

Nothing like Thailand, I found the rent at least twice as much, if not more.

200 USD a month gives you a chack but hardly more. Expect to pay at least 400 USD for something similar to Thailand 200 USD.

Don't expect to find modern nice fully furnished, unless you pay 700 USD a month, or more. Note that 2 moths advanced deposit + 1 months rents seems to be the norm. 1 year lease is prefered, 6 months can be had with negotiations, shorter is very hard to find.

Hotels charge 650 USD up for a monthly stay.

Brown outs:

Never experiences one, maybe I was lucky or Cebu and Bohol are better than other areas?

Safety and crime:

I was out and around 10am-5am, and never had a bad experience.

However the news was full of crimes, and foreigners should keep a low profile. Cell phone stays home after dark, or buy the cheapest one.

Foreigner business people seemed to be a target, so take precautions.

Nightlife:

Cebu has a very limited nightlife area, just a small plaza (Mango) and a few places down the road. Then the odd place spread out around the city. People go out at 11 pm, peak time 1-2 am, and not much after 5 am.

Pace of living:

Pinoys are up early and most go home at sunset 5.30 pm! Evening and nights might be long and lonely, unless you have someone.

This was the hardest adjustment for me, after living in big cities in Thailand, that are more or less open 24/7. Cebu is not in any way similar to Pattaya, Phuket or similar. Cebu is a daytime city, with very little to do after dark.

Pinoy people:

I found them very friendly and extremely polite. Again never had a bad experience.

Landlords was problem free, and returned deposit on check out every time.

I rented in uptown Cebu, the suburbs, and Bohol - never a problem.

Others reported not getting their deposit back, many times.

Food:

Good food it hard to find. Even in Malls like Ayala and SM in Cebu city where they have many restaurants, the food just wasn't good.

Beef/steaks for 25 USD up, tasted less than good and no value for money. Can't be compared with Thailand.

Pinoys seems to prefer Jollibee similar to McDonalds, burgers fries pasta for 1-3 USD, but 1 visit was enough for me.

Supermarket:

Have imported food in Cebu, import tax takes it tolls. Beef steak bacon burgers hot dogs fish.

6 PM they stop for a few minutes, for prayer every day. Most close 9 pm or before. Not many people out after 6pm.

Malls:

Often out of stock, and it might take months before they get new orders delivered.

I found this very frustrating many times. Also got used to 'sold out', while I found the item moved to another place in the same shop.

Clothes:

Less quality for more money, no way near market in Thailand. Buy up in LOS if you plan a longer stay in Philippines.

Hospitals: Cebu has some good hospital. Cebu Doctor come reccommended and a few others.

Friends who used them was impressed about service and treatment.

Medical insurance:

Blue cross is the company foreigners prefer, they have 'with access' option, where they will pay direct to the hospital. A friend was in a accident, and the company paid his bill around 1.7 Mill Peso. 2 Million Peso coverage is the minimum that expats reccommends, and this might set you back +- 1000 USD a year, depending your age.

Pharmacy:

2-3 times the price of similar in Thailand. Many medications not available. Bring your own and prescription.

Vitamins for older gents are also available some places, 2x price than in Thailand.

Dental work:

30-50% cheaper than Thailand. Good standard / equippment in and around Ayala mall Cebu.

Internet:

Internet speed is a disaster, similar or less than cell phone speeds in rural Thailand. They advertise 'speed up to' but what you get in real life are 5-10% of what they advertise. I bought all kind of sim card and usb dongles. Hotel apartment wifi wasn't any better. Long time expats said the only option was a business line, cost a fortune. Most had 2 different ways to get online, since disconnect was a daily thing. If you need fast internet, you better pay big bucks, rent a chair in a call center with ok internet speed, or suffer.

Beautiful beaches:

Bohol Panglao Alone Beach ......... I will always remember this place. I was lost of words when I arrived there. Clear water, clean beach, the most beautiful place I've ever seen. For a honey moon or a writer who wants inspiration from nature, this is The Place. Don't expect to find much company their though, so bring a friend is highly reccommended. Food as always, not very good.

Climate:

I found Cebu and Bohol to be comfortable 2-4 degrees cooler than Thailand, could at last wear my jeans without getting hot.

Girlfriends and relationships:

The good thing first, Pinay lady is not picky about your age, just look clean, smell good, fresh breath and clean toe nails (lastly very important).

Psssst oyyyy .... is the local way of want your attention, or show their interest to you. As a foreigner you will get this anywhere. How decent and serious these people are, is another thing though. Note that most lack Identy Card, so be sure she is 18 year or more.

I had many friends and phone numbers from internet. Unless you are willing to use time and money to go her place, almost none will meet you in a mall, even they agree to do so. Lack of money for transportation, even 0.25 USD only. Looking back I can just say it's hard to find a gem online. My personal experience, it's not worth your time, unless you look for a short encounter. If wanting a serious relationship, it's better to make expats friends and let their girlfriends wifes introduce you to more good ladies. Most of these don't use internet.

Gays and ladyboys:

Either this is your thing or not, I had no problems at all.

Gays in Cebu approach you in a nice polite way, and always accept a no thanks without further hazzle.

Same can be said about the ladyboys, they won't bother you if you just politely decline.

STD:

Std's is a huge problem, weekly tv shows about the increasing numbers of infected people.

Powerty among the locals, and hardly any use of condoms, really makes this a thing to be aware of.

This goes for both sexes, none of the one I met had been for a check up. A good hospital will do all the tests for less than 40 USD, Clinics charge a fraction of this, but I personally don't trust them.

Powerty and desperation:

In your face everywhere. I made friends who couldn't afford a 1USD meal. Unemployment is incredible high. Never give out money. If your heart really goes for someone, but a sack of rice if you want to help out. If you buy a small tv or a fridge for anyone, they likely sell it within a week, because they are in desperat need for cash for daily needs. Makes one humble for how lucky we western people are.

I will return to Philippines. Although many compromises has to be made, the Pinoys have something that I can't forget. I feel welcome there, I enjoy beeing around polite people. The fact that Filipinas don't mind older age than 40, and no high demands for money support, sure make Philippines a winner in my opinion. However if I find a Gem, I will try bringing her back to Thailand to live here, in a modern easy comfortable country. Best of both countries.

Asia2000

Quite amazing that you honestly believe that Cebu City closes early!Did you never go to the IT Park?It's full of nightclubs to party all night and much nicer than the seedy Mango Square area!

The Penthouse is the most popular nightclub but there's many others also there,I have many Pinoy friends who are DJs and play every night,all night in various nightspots in Cebu!

I find it very hard to believe that you lived there for one year and as for Panglao Island on Bohol,it's an absolute dump,ruined by German dive shops everywhere.You never went to Bantayan,Malapascua,Camotes for example?Much,much nicer unspoilt beaches compared to Panglao's seaweed filled,ankle deep water?

Are you sure we are referring to the same Cebu? You know, Cebu, Queen of the South, Philippines? If so, you must have visited a Cebu in some parallel universe.

Anyone talking about crime and violence in the Philippines let me tell you one thing.Filipinos shoot other Filipinos,NOT Westerners.Thais shoot Westerners/Farangs rather than Thais,which would you rather have?

Anyone talking about crime and violence in the Philippines let me tell you one thing.Filipinos shoot other Filipinos,NOT Westerners.Thais shoot Westerners/Farangs rather than Thais,which would you rather have?

Really? Hmm. Interesting. I've got a few people here in Rhek Thum who would like to shoot me.

Philippines takes time to like, but the country grows on you, it really does,

What would you eat typically for breakfast or for lunch?

May I ask ...what did you eat today?

For me English-type breakfast at a nearby café in Talamban and a nice big latte and Ham and Cheese Panini at Seattle's Best Coffee in Ayala Mall,Cebu for lunch! tongue.png

• Like 1

Really? Hmm. Interesting. I've got a few people here in Rhek Thum who would like to shoot me.

Rhek Thum!cheesy.gif

Ok sorry about that,back to business!You are certainly made to feel a lot more welcome by your average Pinoy/ay than Thai,it's a very different experience,maybe you should try it?

For me English-type breakfast at a nearby café in Talamban and a nice big latte and Ham and Cheese Panini at Seattle's Best Coffee in Ayala Mall,Cebu for lunch! tongue.png

I used to like TGI Fridays in Ayala Mall and Cobra Bar on Saturday nights live music.

• Like 1

I used to like TGI Fridays in Ayala Mall and Cobra Bar on Saturday nights live music.

I always used to enjoy having a Friday/Saturday night San Mig. Super Dry on the terrace there(TGI's),watching the world go by!tongue.png

Have to watch out for the many Bayots (Katoeys) there mind!w00t.gif

• Like 1