Elderly Swiss Couple Drowns At Koh Samui Beach

Elderly Swiss Couple Drowns At Koh Samui Beach

A 70-year-old man from Switzerland drowned while trying to save his 69-year-old wife in rough waves at Chaweng Beach on Koh Samui island. His wife also drowned as they died together. The couple had arrived that morning on the island to stay at the BaanSamui resort hotel.

KOH SAMUI – January 28, 2013[PDN]; at 6:40 p.m., a report of two people drowning was received by Pol. Lt. Col. Phongkhajorn Sukkasang, investigation officer, Bor Phood police station, Surat Thani province. He rushed to inspect the scene with the rescue officers of Kusolsongkhrau foundation, Koh Samui.

The incident occurred at Chaweng beach in front of Baan Samui resort hotel Moo 2 Tambon Bor Phood, Amphur Koh Samui. At the scene, officers discovered the bodies of the two victims, identified as Mr. Harns Peter Chaneater, age 70; and Mrs. Maria Teresa, age 69, a couple from Switzerland.

A police investigation revealed that the couple had just arrived on the island in the late morning to stay in the hotel. In the early evening they went to swim in the sea. But it was windy, and the ocean had high waves of about 2 meters high.

Full story: http://www.pattayada...oh-samui-beach/

-- Pattaya Daily News 2013-01-29

footer_n.gif

//the link to the full story is currently not working. It's an issue we can't control

/Admin

Edited by webfact
link note

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If only there was a tradition in Thailand for a higher degree of responsibility, then perhaps someone at the resort would have ensured that they would have been told it was a bad idea to go swimming under those conditions... People from Switzerland are not exactly the most ocean saavy in the world given their geographic position, so its feasible to imagine that they had no idea what they were up against.

Im just asking, where were the lifeguards ?

• Like 1

This could happen to anyone.

In February a group of us were on Karon beach.

The sea looked lovely and we decided to go in.

It was great until, without warning a series of large waves came crashing down.

I was bowled over, grazing my knee and lost one of the lenses from my glasses.

I had quite a struggle to regain my composure and get out more or less safely.

The incident could easily have ended in a tragedy.

I'm not sure that warnings would help.

Perhaps a flotation device?

At least they went together. RIP

• Like 1

If only there was a tradition in Thailand for a higher degree of responsibility, then perhaps someone at the resort would have ensured that they would have been told it was a bad idea to go swimming under those conditions... People from Switzerland are not exactly the most ocean saavy in the world given their geographic position, so its feasible to imagine that they had no idea what they were up against.

The only responsibility is the amount of money amassed in bank accounts

Very sad story. Rip tides and currents are invisible killers, what looks like a nice swimming location can be very dangerous.

R.I.P.

You're so right, there would not have been 2 meter waves on Chaweng beach, its the invisable rip currents that catch people out year after year. Very sad. Unfortunately i doubt the chaweng hotels will warn customers of the risks and there is no local council / government departments that would risk their personal positin by saying there could be a possible danger to tourists, unlike other more responsible authorities in thailands tourist regions.

Tragic....and is there any xxxxx need to publish that photo.

Makes me sick.

I quite agree, The media in Thailand are very sick with what they think will attract people to a story, while at the same time pixalating very harmless stuff, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for them to change, I say this about stuff like this to my Thai Wife a lot & she really doesn't understand what I'm "moaning" about...

I agree, but the couple should've known better than entering the water when there's 2 meter tall waves coming in, especially at their age. Nonetheless R.I.P.

I've spent hundreds of days in the waters of Chaweng Beach over the past thirty-three years and I've never seen waves anywhere near two meters tall .... not that it couldn't happen, but I seriously doubt it this time. However, for 69/70 year-old non-sea-savy persons, getting caught in a surprise wave could indeed cause drowning.

I agree, but the couple should've known better than entering the water when there's 2 meter tall waves coming in, especially at their age. Nonetheless R.I.P.

There were not 2 meter waves on the beach. Do you know what a 2 meter wave looks like?

Very sad story. Rip tides and currents are invisible killers, what looks like a nice swimming location can be very dangerous.

R.I.P.

You're so right, there would not have been 2 meter waves on Chaweng beach, its the invisable rip currents that catch people out year after year. Very sad. Unfortunately i doubt the chaweng hotels will warn customers of the risks and there is no local council / government departments that would risk their personal positin by saying there could be a possible danger to tourists, unlike other more responsible authorities in thailands tourist regions.

They have flagged red since Christmas.

The sea is always a danger to man,

but to wade into 2 meter waves is not prudent at any time, let alone in your late 60's.

But I doubt there were 2 meter waves this week, though it was quite windy today,

so in theory it is possible. A 1 meter wave can knock you down easy enough.

Sad ending to a loving couple just starting their vacation RIP.

Edited by animatic

R.I.P.

They have flagged red since Christmas.

Putting a few red flags in the sand doesnt really equate to warning tourists of the dangers. You know what it means, as do I, but we live here, we are aware of our surroundings, some visitors to our shores are clearly not.

• Like 1

Makes me sick.

it is called reality mate! just because u dont want to see it does not mean it is not there. I get annoyed about people that get annoyed about placing photos of the deceased on the media too me it is ignorant to not want to know the picture that most of the times tells more about the story than the story

Makes me sick.

I quite agree, The media in Thailand are very sick with what they think will attract people to a story, while at the same time pixalating very harmless stuff, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for them to change, I say this about stuff like this to my Thai Wife a lot & she really doesn't understand what I'm "moaning" about...

neither do i. This is the other side of the world. either u can handle it or you cannot but to try to change the way a whole culture thinks ...well good luck.

I unfortunately, came across this horrendous scene yesterday. To the amazing men (Australian or New Zealand?) and the female nurse who worked tirelessly on trying to save the couple, you were wonderful. Im sure they have been greatly affected by the event. I am still heart broken and not a minute has gone by since where I havent thought about the couple. My thoughts go out to their family.

The government or Samui council needs to take a more responsible role in these needless tragedies, of which, there seems to have been many. Yes, there were a few ragged looking red flags up in one or two spots on the beach but only that our waiter at breakfast told us that swimming was no encouraged today, we would have gone in, as it looked no more rough than the previous few days. There either needs to be a total ban on swimming on these kind of days or they need to have lifeguards placed on the beach. An attitude of 'it's not our responsiblilty' is not acceptable.

Once again, my thoughts and prayers are with their family.

• Like 1

Makes me sick.

it is called reality mate! just because u dont want to see it does not mean it is not there. I get annoyed about people that get annoyed about placing photos of the deceased on the media too me it is ignorant to not want to know the picture that most of the times tells more about the story than the story

So if your wife or girlfriend or another close family loved one had an accident and the media posted images for all the world to see, its OK?

In the media in most western countries there is a thing called self regulation, and generally an agreement not to post images of the moment of death or of certain other unpleasant subjects - although sadly I see that it is being ignored more and more - but having worked in broadcasting all my life, it sickens me to see material like this that is completely unnecessary, being made available to the public.

These people have family and loved ones who must be considered in such a situation, not to mention having some respect for those who died.

This is horrible, and images like this are one reason that I have for the last 20 years absolutely banned Thai Rath from our home - and it will apply equally to any other publication that oversteps the bounds of human decency and consideration.

• Like 1

did n't know chaweng beach had lifeguards,always thought thais were n't good swimmers anyway,so they would n't be much help