Elderly Swiss Couple Drowns At Koh Samui Beach

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since most/many of the beach front hotels are foreign owned and all must be aware of the dangers and of the recent tragedies it seems only fair to point out that it clearly isn't just a Thai problem. IMHO every business owner has a degree of resposibility to get together with appropriate authorities and begin a beach watch with lifesavers.

• Like 2

hi all

very sad situation

one of the many reasons we moved to thailand is that you have to be responsible for yourselves in this country

instead of having to blame somebody/others for your own mistakes

there should be this, there should be that ,they have to do this, the government needs to do this ???

part of the problem with western society is that one can never blame yourself you have to point the blame onto something/someone else

hi all

very sad situation

one of the many reasons we moved to thailand is that you have to be responsible for yourselves in this country

instead of having to blame somebody/others for your own mistakes

there should be this, there should be that ,they have to do this, the government needs to do this ???

part of the problem with western society is that one can never blame yourself you have to point the blame onto something/someone else

Well thats a very lame post isn't it. Actually its quite ridiculous. The water here can look safe at times yet the currents can't be very strong. Do you think that all tourists should be experts in the tides and currents of every holiday destination they visit? No ofcourse they dont.

Howerer if hoteliers, the authorities and infact anyone who lives here knows how dangerous they are, don't you think there might be a collective responsibility to provide a degree of safety to the tourists, that i might also add, provide the island with nearly all its revenue?

Blame someone for getting run over because they didn't look to see if cars were coming but don't expect them to be marine experts or olympian swimmers.

This drowning issue comes up every year, tourists drown every year, and nothing is ever done every year. I have been on the Chaweng Beach almost every day for the past eight years and have seen everything imaginable. I don't want to start a crusade or anything but just let others know what is happening and therefore hopefully save a life simply by providing a warning. We had a wonderful resource, the Volunteer Lifesaving Group, but that is now gone. It would be nice if somebody started something similar but I won't hold my breath. By the way, the sea was a bit calmer today, but my friends still reported that two children nearly drowned.

i noticed that there was not a demand for high powered jet skis and boats all a helper needs is a paddle board which would help for now!

maybe for accident out at sea with boat crashes and stuff maybe need vehicles but from the beach maybe paddle boards and a few spotters is needed

Look - water is dangerous. We cannot breath in it.

Australia has some of the most stringent laws about pool safety that I have ever seen and yet in 2011, in Queensland swimming pools alone -

"28 Australian children under the age of five have drowned." (http://www.abc.net.a...ed/3765840.html) I could not be bothered to search any further.

That's just kids in one state.

Laws/warnings/signs will not really help. People will still do what people do - because 'it looked ok'.

Death by drowning is unpleasant and in lots of cases preventable. It is sad when it happens and most of us feel helpless/frustrated/angry etc. However, we cannot tell people what to do.

A lot of vistors to Samui cannot read English or Thai. (Russian, Japanese, Korean, Chinese etc). In my experience - their understanding of spoken English or Thai is very limited - with the majority having no English/Thai skills.

How on earth can we protect these people? Behave like surrogate parents and say "be careful if you go near the water"? No way. Whilst I am frustrated that needless lives are lost - I cannot see a solution in the environment that we operate in.

• Like 1

Australia has some of the most stringent laws about pool safety that I have ever seen and yet in 2011, in Queensland swimming pools alone -

"28 Australian children under the age of five have drowned." (http://www.abc.net.a...ed/3765840.html) I could not be bothered to search any further.

Laws/warnings/signs will not really help. People will still do what people do - because 'it looked ok'.

Death by drowning is unpleasant and in lots of cases preventable. It is sad when it happens and most of us feel helpless/frustrated/angry etc. However, we cannot tell people what to do.

A lot of vistors to Samui cannot read English or Thai. (Russian, Japanese, Korean, Chinese etc). In my experience - their understanding of spoken English or Thai is very limited - with the majority having no English/Thai skills.

How on earth can we protect these people? Behave like surrogate parents and say "be careful if you go near the water"? No way. Whilst I am frustrated that needless lives are lost - I cannot see a solution in the environment that we operate in.

But thats just it isn't it! Avoiding all loss of life can never be prevented. But, just a few extra flags, a few lifeguards and a bit more collective responsibility and it will be a whole lot better.

I can't see the issue. No ones to blame for lives being lost because as rightly said, the seas very dangerous but there is blame if all that could be done as prevention isn't done.

• Like 1

No one seems to have picked up on the point I tried to make in my earlier post........the hotels wont be active in warning people not to go in the sea because they dont want to put people off.

They are in business to make money and if they put out these warnings that it is dangerous to stay there then they wont get any repeat business.

After all there are thousands of people who swim and enjoy their stay in Chaweng and come back year after year and the hoteliers want that to continue.

HL biggrin.png

No one seems to have picked up on the point I tried to make in my earlier post........the hotels wont be active in warning people not to go in the sea because they dont want to put people off.

They are in business to make money and if they put out these warnings that it is dangerous to stay there then they wont get any repeat business.

After all there are thousands of people who swim and enjoy their stay in Chaweng and come back year after year and the hoteliers want that to continue.

HL biggrin.png

Iøm only talking about an idea to collectively organise lifeguards. That would not put anyone off. More likely put their minds at ease. It just costs money

• Like 1

HL biggrin.png

Iøm only talking about an idea to collectively organise lifeguards. That would not put anyone off. More likely put their minds at ease. It just costs money

Another possible use of Samui Rescue? Mind you - the people watching the sea have to be able to swim/surf/save etc. A few more resources needed for that one.

But thats just it isn't it! Avoiding all loss of life can never be prevented. But, just a few extra flags, a few lifeguards and a bit more collective responsibility and it will be a whole lot better.

I can't see the issue. No ones to blame for lives being lost because as rightly said, the seas very dangerous but there is blame if all that could be done as prevention isn't done.

just a few extra flags ,then some life guards, then a fence around everyone's pools ,then 9 cm gaps required in the ballautrades and minimum heights on your balcony , then we may as well go to Australia

if you step off the footpath and get hit ,then we will need life guards there as well ,not sure what coloured flags to use there tho

maybe red white and blue

just a few extra flags ,then some life guards, then a fence around everyone's pools ,then 9 cm gaps required in the ballautrades and minimum heights on your balcony , then we may as well go to Australia

if you step off the footpath and get hit ,then we will need life guards there as well ,not sure what coloured flags to use there tho

maybe red white and blue

What a peculiar post. Where do you get that from? have you actually read my post?rolleyes.gif

there are many expats out here who i hear time and time saying bored. same same every day. If they tried to put something together like contacting the relevant people to patrol the beaches they might find a cause worth doing which is more fun than hust simply lying on the beach for weeks and months.

they might actually enjoy it.

All needs is to contact the right people to be registered which i know how to do. then have people donated or buy paddle boards. have people on standy from vatnage points and people stand by on the beach. the radio are link to relavant channels so should an amulance be required it can be on its way and at the beach whilst the person is being saved. Also most dive schools know CPR and mouth to mouth resusitation which you can have a mask to put of the persons face for this to prevent investionn streading from the vitims eyes.

It is all possible.

• Like 1

there are many expats out here who i hear time and time saying bored. same same every day. If they tried to put something together like contacting the relevant people to patrol the beaches they might find a cause worth doing which is more fun than hust simply lying on the beach for weeks and months.

All needs is to contact the right people to be registered which i know how to do. then have people donated or buy paddle boards. have people on standy from vatnage points and people stand by on the beach. the radio are link to relavant channels so should an amulance be required it can be on its way and at the beach whilst the person is being saved. Also most dive schools know CPR and mouth to mouth resusitation which you can have a mask to put of the persons face for this to prevent investionn streading from the vitims eyes.

It is all possible.

Crikey Big C - a good post, and I understood it all wink.png

Sounds like a good idea to me - the only concern is committment. The volunteers need to be committed to the cause and not just a hobby. I'd even donate a few cases of chang every week to help thumbsup.gif

A bit of training would be needed as well. Not everyone can use a paddle board - or better still, these volunteers only watch the water. They then call for a jet ski, ambulance, whatever to sort it out???

It is all possible.

Sounds like a good idea to me - the only concern is committment. The volunteers need to be committed to the cause and not just a hobby. I'd even donate a few cases of chang every week to help thumbsup.gif

A bit of training would be needed as well. Not everyone can use a paddle board - or better still, these volunteers only watch the water. They then call for a jet ski, ambulance, whatever to sort it out???

Well it seems like the big hotel chains that make all the money courtesy of their beach location but have as yet shown to be unwilling to provide even the most basic life saving facilities for their guests, so its down to locals to do something. OK to charge 6000 baht a night for a room but not ok to donate, well lets say 5000 baht a month each towards a lifesaving team to monitor the beach! And this in the full knowledge that the waters are extrememly dangerous. Interesting.

People are so used to knocking the Thais for their so called 3rd world ways and lack of safety awareness but how about the first world companies bring with them their first world safety awareness a dip into their pockets and donate a tiny sum each which would collectively make a very big difference

This idea comes up every season and then is soon forgotten once the sea settles down, but I'm sure one day it will happen. It could be done on a low key volunteer basis or officially. Most people are not aware of the Lifeguard Volunteer Group that existed on Chaweng Beach, which saved hundreds of lives over the years. Roo cited it in a message a couple of years ago http://www.samuiholidaymagazine.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=354:be-safe-not-saved&catid=38:november-2011&Itemid=16. This group has disbanded but a similar one could start again. Just remember that you will be viewed as competition by the jetski boys with all that entails unless you are somehow sanctioned by the Samui government and local police.

• Like 1

This idea comes up every season and then is soon forgotten once the sea settles down, but I'm sure one day it will happen. It could be done on a low key volunteer basis or officially. Most people are not aware of the Lifeguard Volunteer Group that existed on Chaweng Beach, which saved hundreds of lives over the years. Roo cited it in a message a couple of years ago http://www.samuiholi...-2011&Itemid=16. This group has disbanded but a similar one could start again. Just remember that you will be viewed as competition by the jetski boys with all that entails unless you are somehow sanctioned by the Samui government and local police.

The other problem of course, is that farangs have to have a work permit to volunteer, even if they wanted to help with this... so it prevents any retirees who might be able to do this.. who are still strong enough & able to swim!

Exacty Jimmy, this is why the previous Volunteer Lifeguards acted anonymously. They each went to the beach with a raft, used binoculars, and went in after people. Others just assumed they were farangs on holiday and didn't realize that they had a coordinated group with even the vendors acting as spotters. Actually, the only real concern is around Dec-March and usually when the waves are one meter or higher, which is probably about thirty days during that period. Nobody can accuse you of working if you simply go to the beach with a raft and happen to help someone drowning and I think that this is the simplest way to start this venture if anyone is interested -- a few friends with rafts who have some semblance of lifesaving skills.

• Like 1

Many years ago a friend on Koh Tao was cuffed & briefly detained for assisting as described, causing him to no longer bother.

A few weeks later the door of his office flew open & the BIB placed a body* on his desk & err "asked" him to revive it.

Surely there's a message here somewhere...

(*Chinese male, died)

Edited by evadgib

This idea comes up every season and then is soon forgotten once the sea settles down, but I'm sure one day it will happen. It could be done on a low key volunteer basis or officially. Most people are not aware of the Lifeguard Volunteer Group that existed on Chaweng Beach, which saved hundreds of lives over the years. Roo cited it in a message a couple of years ago http://www.samuiholi...-2011&Itemid=16. This group has disbanded but a similar one could start again. Just remember that you will be viewed as competition by the jetski boys with all that entails unless you are somehow sanctioned by the Samui government and local police.

Think of a differrent model.

Farang volunteers patrolling the beach and watching the sea. Problem spotted - call the jet-ski guys and Samui Rescue. Thai and Farang working together? wai.gif

It is all possible.

in a situation where there is no help even if some volenteers did for a few hours a day would be better than nothing. would need radio support which a life guard would not need to learn how to paddle plus as many spotters as possible on high ground all also with radios

Also zones where public can report problems quickly

you can buy black radios ( u need a lisence ) which are water proof which have access to the rescue channels and the police. u need to have an amter rADIO LISENCE to use one. The thai lisence normally start with E29 or HS i think about 5 countrys can take the test in Bangkok UK being one of them. if anyone else has any information about these lisence then i would be interested but the red radios are for public use and you do not need a lisence not sure if you can buy water proof ones but they come in all sizes from 5 watts to 50 watts and more. Mainly hotels us them they have 80 channnels

I often go to the far end of Maenam beach, in the afternoon, which is a lot different than Chawang beach in that the sea is not as rough...(usually)

One resort down there has a swimming area roped off thumbsup.gif to prevent the idiot jet skiers mowing them down w00t.gif (not that there are many jet skiers usually)

Seems to me some Life rings would be useful... at these resorts. just in case. whistling.gif

This pic show some swim out side the ropes...

IMG_5829.JPG

Fairly busy down there today, by Maenam standards!

IMG_5827.JPG

I am happy to report that today on Chaweng Beach, under very rough conditions, there were hotel guards, police, and volunteer farangs roaming the area. This is the first time in eight years that I have seen such an effort. I witnessed six rescues just in the first hour including one Englishman who was unconscious and then revived through cpr. Whether it was the emails to the embassies or someone reading TV and making some calls, it was very heart warming to see. I love living here, but some of the things that I have seen over the years have made me question the humanity of these people. However, today was a day for all who put an effort forth to feel proud. And to anyone on TV who made a call to someone influential, you should feel good in knowing that it probably saved a life. I just hope the good work will continue.

Edited by parallaxtech
  • Like 1