Rather Angry

Nignoy

over the years I have posted a few topics about my blind mate cliff, who we introduced to australia and thailand, he lives in farnborough UK, he lost his sight through cataracts in 1968,so he has gone through the trauma of losing his job, his sight, his wife and having to put up with a life of multiple sclerosis and blindness,in december last year, he went to have an assessment for a new guide dog, imagine his amazement when the examining doctor told him to come back in january for surgery, guess what!!!left eye completely restored 20/20vision ,right eye was operated on last week, opinion is he will have 33% of the sight returned to his right eye, he is rightfully over the moon, now the downside, these operations could have been carried out in 1968, but were deemed by the NHS to be non essential surgery and over budget for the hospital concerned, he as been advised by his surgeon to sue the Nhs for sentencing him to 40 years of un neccessary blindness and suffering,when he contacted the NHS in Guildford they asked him what he was complaining about now that he has some sight back he should count himself lucky, understandible Cliff is a little bit peeved to say the least, would welcome your comments, this aint a troll and I will forward your comments to cliff,Nignoy

I´m so sick and tired of past error constantly being dredged up decades later... Why the heck don´t people just move on.. You want to have a huge blame culture in england as well..

Let´s sue the germans for war crimes,

let´s sue the spanish fro discovering yankee land,

let´s sue descendants of slave owners for slavery

let´s sue the japanese for all the deaths in wwii

Move on. Shit happens, and I´m sorry for your mate cliff, but for christs sake, what will it solve.

Will it bring back the forty years of blindness?

(probably bliss to not see the world as we can)

I´m so sick and tired of past error constantly being dredged up decades later... Why the heck don´t people just move on.. You want to have a huge blame culture in england as well..

Move on. Shit happens, and I´m sorry for your mate cliff, but for christs sake, what will it solve.

So you don't believe that people or organisations should be accountable for their actions?

So you don't believe that people or organisations should be accountable for their actions?

How is this Thailand related anyway?

Why would anybody take a doctors word today?

With the internet, the world's information is at everyone's fingertips.

Cateract surgery is such a simple, inexpensive operation.

Nignoy, rather than blame everyone else for your mates problems, you should take a close look at your own ignorance in this matter.

If he is a good mate of yours, why didn't you investigate the alternatives for him?

Australian news carried many stories about the work of Doctor Fred Hollows and he died in 1993.

Surgery has moved on a lot in 40 years and what is easily possible today was often difficult and expensive in the past. For instance laser surgery did not exist then and now it is more cost effective than conventional surgery and non invasive.

Maybe your mate should have kept up with developments or one of his friends should have on his behalf so that he could have had his sight restored sooner.

Taking the NHS to court for compensation may make him feel better and the compensation make life easier for him. However, it will also take money away from other people waiting for treatment or surgery. Is that a good idea?

Ultimately it is his decision but better taken after the anger has subsided.

Edited by Anon999

With the internet, the world's information is at everyone's fingertips.

Cateract surgery is such a simple, inexpensive operation.

Australian news carried many stories about the work of Doctor Fred Hollows and he died in 1993.

Yep... of course the Australian news did; like most other things great in Australia, Fred Hollows is a New Zealander!!!

My father was in the same situation; misdiagnosed with prostate problems (actually was cancer) then subsequently misdiagnosed with arthritis (actually was the cancer spreading through his bone marrow, made worse by the doctors prescribing him to do water aerobics for arthritis which he did daily despite being in vast pain to the point his hip collapsed).

The doctors involved could theoretically be sued, but what good would they do? They weren't trying to be wrong...best to just move on.

At least your friend has his sight back, he should be very grateful for that.

(Snip)

Imagine if cavemen had a chance to sue the NHS, we would have no NHS!

I think Lopburi just made a point that best Answers your question Endure...

Kinda must agree with the consensus here. At 15, I was advised (and underwent) an unnecessary knee operation. I now suffer from daily misalignment of my hip and spine due to this operation. You can't notice by looking at me, but I tellya... I sure notice it. I was advised to sue over it, and maybe I could/should have as the advice now is to undergo a reversal op (no way Jose! the pain, the pain, the incapacity)....

Then at 16, I had a bad motorcycle accident. The doctors wanted to amputate my badly broken leg at the hip. My mother said 'No, way Jose!' This is the same leg with the same dodgy knee. I walk, I run, I swim... I'm happy!

Doctors are not gods and it is up to us all to make further decisions and investigate alternative treatments.

What was life like before "modern" medicine? They burned at the stake I think :o

Kinda must agree with the consensus here. At 15, I was advised (and underwent) an unnecessary knee operation. I now suffer from daily misalignment of my hip and spine due to this operation. You can't notice by looking at me, but I tellya... I sure notice it. I was advised to sue over it, and maybe I could/should have as the advice now is to undergo a reversal op (no way Jose! the pain, the pain, the incapacity)....

Then at 16, I had a bad motorcycle accident. The doctors wanted to amputate my badly broken leg at the hip. My mother said 'No, way Jose!' This is the same leg with the same dodgy knee. I walk, I run, I swim... I'm happy!

Doctors are not gods and it is up to us all to make further decisions and investigate alternative treatments.

What was life like before "modern" medicine? They burned at the stake I think :o

Never expected so many different responses, as far as doctors not being gods, then the people of Gympie should take your advice (khall 64 au) there are about 90 of them suing a doctor from the local hospital, any way thanks for your comments folks nignoy