Jomtien Immigration Packed!

Did my 90 Day Report today at Jomtien Immigration around 10 am. Man it was packed and almsot like a salmon swimming upstream just to get inside the door!

A very nice farang volunteer stapled my docs together (I prefill the form to save time) and received my 90 Dayreport Sticker in less than five minutes. I was going to apply for a re-entry permit too, but he told me all the numbers had been issued for the morning and I could try again in the afternoon. Perhaps I misunderstood him but decided to call it a day and go back again tomorrow or even next week.

I've never seen Jomtien Immigration this busy!

There is a trend. It is not a happy trend. Still probably we are better off than Chiang Mai and Bangkok, but for how long?

Agree about Chiang Mai, relatively small office for the large number of expats and Burmese workers in the CM area....

I was at Chiang Watanna at 0950 today and it did not appear crowded anywhere in the immigration areas. No wait at queue numbers and only 19 in queue for 90 day reporting so empty seats everywhere (always been full before) and made exit at 1010. Have not visited since June but was very surprised as lowest number of people I have even seen during visits. Everyone moved to Pattaya and Chiang Mai?

I was at Chiang Watanna at 0950 today and it did not appear crowded anywhere in the immigration areas. No wait at queue numbers and only 19 in queue for 90 day reporting so empty seats everywhere (always been full before) and made exit at 1010. Have not visited since June but was very surprised as lowest number of people I have even seen during visits. Everyone moved to Pattaya and Chiang Mai?

The Chiang Mai Office is as packed as a tin of sardines virtually every day. It must be hellish for the staff turning up for work everyday.

Edited by lopburi3
fix quote

I arrived at Jomtien Immigration at around 10:00,,,The place overflowed onto the outdoor steps...I managed my way into the numbers lady, presented my filled in forms & passport copies & was awarded a number for my 90 day report....There were 56 numbers ahead of me. My wife & I waited. In about an hour we were processed through...the hardworking officer at the door did his best to get folks through quickly.

The usual asses showed up without filling out the forms & the people with a bunch of applications...you know, the person with twenty passports to have all processed...I don't speak Thai so I don't understand what went on but several of these people were sent to another place clutching their dozens of passports...

Anyway the place was packed to the rafters & the man processing the 90 day reports was working full tilt..the woman less so or maybe that is just my reading it wrong. Anyway congrats to the immigration man doing his best to get us processed & out of there.

It will probably get worse. I just read an article in the paper that quoted Pattaya immigration predicting 45,000 new retirement extensions this year.

It took me less than 10 minutes to do my 90 report today up here in Ubon.

Edited by ubonjoe

Maybe time for them to setup an appointment system via Internet especially for

- Extension of Stay (Retirement, Marriage, ED)

- Re-Entry Permits

Maybe time for them to scrap the re-entry permit altogether, given that it is completely pointless. If they need the money (which can be the only possible reason for the stupid thing to exist in the first place) they could just charge people a fee at the border/airport when leaving or returning. Or just add 1000B to the cost of the visa extension.