‘ Many Foreigners Working Illegally’, Say Thai Officials

Larry Banks

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When the shoe is on the other foot it really bothers the Thais. Go to the USA, Los Angeles in particular. I know of many Thais just from our small village that went there 2 or 3 years ago on tourist visas. They've been working in the restaurants and massage parlors since day one, if you protest this in the USA your labeled a racist. The government there wants to give them all amnesty even though the majority of the citizens disagree with that stance

There are more Illegal businesses than illegal workers, First close near all the boy/girl bars, tip of the iceberg--for prostitution is illegal for starters. Who comes out with these statements-- walking street was mentioned, european go go girls, selling themselves, enough said, boring all this illegal rubbish, Most things here are illegal -or are run on similar lines.

Gogos are not illegal and prostitution does not take place in gogo bars.

Hm.... Are you trying to be cheeky? I don't know if GoGos are legal, they could be since there are so many, but the later part of your statement about prostitution is entirely incorrect.

The Thai protestors were not concerned about whether the Russians were operating legally or not – they just wanted them out

I suppose these greedy morons also want the Russian tourists who pay their rip off charges out as well? Idiots.

There are a surprising number of Thai businesses including restaurants etc operating in Russia. I would imagine some of this money makes its way back to Phuket. How about if the Russians decide to kick out all the hardworking Thais in Russia in retaliation because they want them out?

Third world mentality at its worst.

This problem is and was created by the Thai officials in the first place because they turn a blind eye by taking money to line their own personal pockets. The same kind of lining that is ruining Koh Chang, the same kind of lining that allow all the Nigerians to enter Thailand under a student visa and then those so call students are standing just within eyesight on Soi 3,4 on Sukhumvit selling themselves and when it gets out of control they act like they didn't know about it?

As for Thai, working in Russia, I say anywhere in the world if it is done illegal by the laws or that country then it should be closed and if laws have been breached then they should recieve the punishment as deserved and find the government officials who has turn a blind eye to the situation or mismanaged the situation be removed as soon as possible to set a example for the others.

Here is a situation the protesters are asking the same officials to clean up the problem they created!

i worked in Phuket previously, and yes the Taxi Mafia are lazy and don't want competition. Also I worked in Pattaya, and the Russian Mafia are all over the place with loads of cash. Stealing cars, motorbikes etc...shipping them back to Russia....And even a few years ago 2 Russians teamed up with a

Thai lady in her winery business and put some poison in a case of wine, to kill her, so they put 3 cases of wine in her office and put 1 case of wine in her car and upon driving back home she stopped off and gave it to some gardeners at a hotel in Pattaya, 2 Thai were dead from drinking it, and the Russians were never heard from again.

The Thai protestors were not concerned about whether the Russians were operating legally or not – they just wanted them out

I suppose these greedy morons also want the Russian tourists who pay their rip off charges out as well? Idiots.

There are a surprising number of Thai businesses including restaurants etc operating in Russia. I would imagine some of this money makes its way back to Phuket. How about if the Russians decide to kick out all the hardworking Thais in Russia in retaliation because they want them out?

Do you think the Russian authorities require proper working credentials for foreign businesses in Russia?

If they close down all the Russian companies, then I suspect that all the Russian tourists will disappear as well. They protesters haven't though this one through. If the Russian companies can't work in Phuket, they will work somewhere else, and take the tourists with them. But there probably needs to be some sort of crackdown on illegal workers.

Nowhere in the article is it suggested all Russian businesses should be closed, just the illegal ones.

I lived in Phuket from 2002 until early 2012. I built or established no less than 5 small hotel businesses, with a total investment of about 25 million baht. In all my time living in Phuket with my Thai wife and my kids I was never able to obtain a work permit from the Phuket Labour Office to work as a manager of my own hotels! Their reason for each refusal was that a Thai Limited Partnership company was not allowed to employee foreigners, (which is complete rubbish).

Despite paying expensive lawyers to resolve this situation, the Labour Office never changed their position.

I now work 100% legally in Myanmar and look to invest further in this country.

Simon

• Like 2

If they close down all the Russian companies, then I suspect that all the Russian tourists will disappear as well. They protesters haven't though this one through. If the Russian companies can't work in Phuket, they will work somewhere else, and take the tourists with them. But there probably needs to be some sort of crackdown on illegal workers.

Nowhere in the article is it suggested all Russian businesses should be closed, just the illegal ones.

At the end it will be interesting to see how many are actually illegal. Most are probably 51 49 anyway. They will find a few people working cash in hand as guides.

Very little is going to change. I wonder if this is in the press in Russia, because, at the end tourists don't want to get caught up in crap. So i would reckon that the tat messes with the Russian tourism numbers at their peril.

I have little doubt, getting rid of tour buses is going to encourage the Russian tourists to get ripped off by the tuk tuk mafia. I am sure by now, many Russian tourists know to leave the tuk tuk well alone.

What if the foreigners made a protest and complained about the mafia taxi drivers, tuk-tuk and song-teaos that charge exuberating ripped off amounts?

I'm not saying that I approve the illegal workers, but it's not honest thai workers protesting, it's the mafia taxi that are protesting, they are dishonest, over charge, and many are cheaters...

The russians might be overtaking the business because they charge competitive price. Those dishonest taxi drivers don't like competitive markets, they wanna be mafia monopoly and charge as much as they want, you take a taxi or walk!

What taxi mafia? Chalerm wiped out all the mafia and scams during his 90 day plan. These protestors must just be the honest hard working thai citizens that are left smile.png who have families to feed.thumbsup.gif

Sounds like the authorities have everything under control.

Not.

Who controls the authorities? I think we all know who do. The same people who can prevent TOURISTS from disembarking because these mean tourists had the gall to book cheaper, better, non-rip-off transportation to their hotels, ahead of time.

...and the "authorities" just stood there watching. Or were they 'negotiating'?

It's nice to see the 'authorities' negotiating with thieves. Imagine a bank robbery where the cops arrive on the scene and negotiate with the robbers about how much money they are allowed to steal from the bank, and then let them on their way.

Ya gotta love Phukket News. This stuff is better than watching Thai soaps!

Edited by theajarn

Russians are taking business and jobs away from the local Thai people, including in the taxi, laundry and restaurant segments, the protesters said.

“Whenever Russian tourists walk past, they go to the Russian-speaking businesses. The Russian businesspeople speak about the Thai people in a bad way: they say our services are expensive and we cheat people out of their money, and we have bad manners,” one of the protest leaders was quoted by The Phuket News as saying.

http://en.ria.ru/world/20130128/179090389/Thai-Taxi-Drivers-Protest-Russian-Mafia-on-Phuket.html

Amazing!! For the many years i have been reading this website i notice honest and decent well heeled tourists complaining about crooks..getting scammed by the jet ski guys and beaten up by took took drivers, yet nothing seems to happen..

And now, when it looks like the CROOKS might loose a few baht, the authorities immediately announce a crackdown on forieners!! speechless!!blink.png

Will be interesting to see if this crackdown is like all the others (cleaning up Phukets tourist scams for one) and is forgotten in a few days.

If not, and they make a real effort to prosecute all these Russians while at the same time turning a blind eye to all the other scum acting illegally..well one can only say SOM NUM NAH if they loose ALL their tourists...its becoming obvious they really don't deserve them.

I have had a good chuckle at some of the anti-Russian posts on this thread so far.. and wanted to add my tuppence worth to the discussion...

To preface my comments, I would like to add that I am the proud husband of a Russian woman, and have visited Russia many times, and have made a lot of Russian friends.... The following comes from my experience with friends who have made the trip....

The vast majority of Russian tourists have absolutely no idea of what type of place Phuket / Pattaya etc is before they board their charter flight to Thailand. They are sold solely on a foreign, warm, sunny holiday that's relatively cheap, as this is how it is sold in the local travel agents... The first wander around the resort at night comes as something of a surprise, to say the least, to these young upwardly mobile (by Russian standards) couples and, it is at this point that the female makes the assumption that the male knew all along.....

This does not really set things up for the relaxing holiday they were looking for....

So, is it really that surprising that the guys tend to be a little short with people, when there 2 week holiday with their girlfriend has just been cock-blocked by a misunderstanding????

• Like 1

I have had a good chuckle at some of the anti-Russian posts on this thread so far.. and wanted to add my tuppence worth to the discussion...

To preface my comments, I would like to add that I am the proud husband of a Russian woman, and have visited Russia many times, and have made a lot of Russian friends.... The following comes from my experience with friends who have made the trip....

The vast majority of Russian tourists have absolutely no idea of what type of place Phuket / Pattaya etc is before they board their charter flight to Thailand. They are sold solely on a foreign, warm, sunny holiday that's relatively cheap, as this is how it is sold in the local travel agents... The first wander around the resort at night comes as something of a surprise, to say the least, to these young upwardly mobile (by Russian standards) couples and, it is at this point that the female makes the assumption that the male knew all along.....

This does not really set things up for the relaxing holiday they were looking for....

So, is it really that surprising that the guys tend to be a little short with people, when there 2 week holiday with their girlfriend has just been cock-blocked by a misunderstanding????

Don't think it really excuses their generally impatient and rude behavior. I was in Phuket for less than a week and I couldn't stand how they (the russians) were. Sure there not all like that, but the vast majority are.

It's not complicated at all. Just arrest all the illegal workers and businesses. Problem solved.

Why not arrest the Thais who own the businesses which hire illegal workers?

Finally the critical point here. Protection for workers both foreign and Thai. This is a common theme throughout Thai legislation, those with power and money are above the law. Surely the onus should be on the THAI EMPLOYER to provide the necessary legal documentation to ensure that their employees are working legally? Thai companies are left to operate with impunity and while this thread concentrates on the Russian workers, the same laws enable Thais to exploit Burmese labour in construction, European/ US labour in education and so on. It's an absolute disgrace and the issue of foreigners working illegally in Thailand would disappear if Thai companies were actually held accountable over this issue.

Off topic but it's exactly the same when it comes to Government officials here engaging in corruption; they hold no liability for their mistakes and the law of the land protects and nurtures their corrupt antics. A corrupt land official decides to deliberately issue a chanote title for national park land in collusion with powerful local families planning to sell the land to foreign developers. The same corrupt land official can then simply admit his "mistake" once they've pocketed their ill gotten gains and the law absolves him of any wrong doing. The land is taken from the foreign developer, who loses all funds invested, the land official rescinds the chanote and is free to repeat and rinse ad nauseum while remaining untouchable by law.

Thailand is sending a very clear message to foreigners - your money is welcome but you are not. It makes me sad to say it but it's about time we voted with our wallets and our feet; only when Thailand suffers a major downturn because of lost tourism/ foreign income will they be forced to update their arcane and xenophobic laws.

• Like 2

Just leave your MONEY here then piss off back to where you come from.... This has always been the Thai Rules.

And i always thought they liked the farangs, silly me. Surely they hate us, but love our money we bring in. Depending on Thai is a absolute nightmare, So be independent and make sure you can provide yourself for longer time.

Don't think it really excuses their generally impatient and rude behavior. I was in Phuket for less than a week and I couldn't stand how they (the russians) were. Sure there not all like that, but the vast majority are.

Thing with Russians (men especially), is that they have been brought up almost the same as Yanks, insofar as they believe that they are the greatest nation in the world, and that everyone is inferior to them... They have not had the same diversity of cultures introduced to their own country many others have, and so this feeling of superiority has built up for far longer than anywhere else...

Russians are basically what Americans would have been like without having the Mexicans and Canadians to blame / have a go at...

Thing with Russians (men especially), is that they have been brought up almost the same as Yanks, insofar as they believe that they are the greatest nation in the world, and that everyone is inferior to them...

Sounds like the Thai education system.

• Like 2

There are more Illegal businesses than illegal workers, First close near all the boy/girl bars, tip of the iceberg--for prostitution is illegal for starters. Who comes out with these statements-- walking street was mentioned, european go go girls, selling themselves, enough said, boring all this illegal rubbish, Most things here are illegal -or are run on similar lines.

Gogos are not illegal and prostitution does not take place in gogo bars.

Well maybe not in the bar but what about the rooms upstairs in for example Soi Cowboy and others which are attached to the bars. It's all part of the same premises, just a change of floor.