Another Approach To Consider: Intermittent Fasting, Etc.

Jingthing

Dr Mercola's diabtetes treatment is probably more suitable for most people and has proved very effective. I think you read his blog which is based on avoiding grains and limiting carbs with higher protein etc etc which is what you do i think.

Let's not give Dr Mercola too much credit here. A low carb diet is how diabetics have been "treating" their disease for a very long time. Dr Mercola is just a marketing guru pushing other peoples' ideas.

Fixing blood sugar numbers through diet is not a cure though, Many people think that if they lower their numbers by exercise and diet they are curing themselves. All they are really doing is controlling their blood sugar. If they start eating a high carb diet again they will soon be where they were before.

I really wanted to stress this point because so many people are touting "cures", when in fact they are not.

Edited by tropo

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dr Mercola's diabtetes treatment is probably more suitable for most people and has proved very effective. I think you read his blog which is based on avoiding grains and limiting carbs with higher protein etc etc which is what you do i think.

Let's not give Dr Mercola too much credit here. A low carb diet is how diabetics have been "treating" their disease for a very long time. Dr Mercola is just a marketing guru pushing other peoples' ideas.

Fixing blood sugar numbers through diet is not a cure though, Many people think that if they lower their numbers by exercise and diet they are curing themselves. All they are really doing is controlling their blood sugar. If they start eating a high carb diet again they will soon be where they were before.

I really wanted to stress this point because so many people are touting "cures", when in fact they are not.

Well, in that sense I guess you can never cure anything. Instead of thinking of it as a diet it has to be a whole new way of eating. Just like the alcoholic cannot go back to drinking once he has his drinking under control.

Well, in that sense I guess you can never cure anything. Instead of thinking of it as a diet it has to be a whole new way of eating. Just like the alcoholic cannot go back to drinking once he has his drinking under control.

Thing is normal people can go back to that way of eating.. so for it to be cured a diabetic should be able to do that too not just control it. So i would not consider it cured either more under control.

Same like your alcoholic example he can never go back while normal people can.. its not a cure its a way to keep it under control.

• Like 1

At least Dr Mercola is interested in people taking control of their own health and he is providing valuable information to do that. Is he self serving because he makes a living out of it? I dont know about that. I think you are being far too cynical by taking that viewpoint.

Arent people allowed to endorse ideas and treatments that others have researched without being accused of being self serving? Heck there is probably almost nothing new when it comes down to it !

• Like 1

At least Dr Mercola is interested in people taking control of their own health and he is providing valuable information to do that. Is he self serving because he makes a living out of it? I dont know about that. I think you are being far too cynical by taking that viewpoint.

Arent people allowed to endorse ideas and treatments that others have researched without being accused of being self serving? Heck there is probably almost nothing new when it comes down to it !

Agreed! I learned about GI and its importance from the Mercola site. Never paid him a dime and got great info!

Thing is normal people can go back to that way of eating.. so for it to be cured a diabetic should be able to do that too not just control it. So i would not consider it cured either more under control.

Same like your alcoholic example he can never go back while normal people can.. its not a cure its a way to keep it under control.

Right. It is also a much healthier way to eat, IMHO.

@tominbkk I agree 100% but i don't call it cured its much healthier. Just semantics but i agree with you.I think im medium low carb as i do eat muesli and oats and i both love them. But it also depends on the size. But its for sure more then your 30 grams of carbs on a day.

If you want to control your BG then Dr Bernstein is the Daddy. He even went back to school to become an MD so people would believe him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_K._Bernstein

Well, in that sense I guess you can never cure anything.

I don't know about other diseases, but I'm sure some can be cured... however blood sugar control is not a cure. A cure for diabetes would suggest that the person can go back to eating a high carb diet and post normal numbers. That's what a normal person can do.

This is a very important point and should not be taken lightly as it misleads a lot of people.

Right now my blood sugar level are good and would be considered normal if tested by a doctor, but I have not found a cure.

• Like 1

I'm on his subscriber's list and read many of his emails and have for many years.

I'm just saying that it's ridiculous to attribute a diabetic "cure" to Dr Mercola. He's only a messenger, and I do believe a self-serving one at that. Check out his very expensive ranch. He makes a lot of money pushing his "amazing" products. He has also been in a considerable amount of legal trouble (FDA) for making unsubstantiated claims.

He doesn't tolerate arguments on his blogs either. He immediately bans people with opposing points of view.

I'm not a fan, but that's probably because I scrutinize the messengers more than you do.

Edited by tropo

Weight loss is actually simple. I arrived in Thailand 7 months ago and have lost 7 inches from my waist (ex boxer and now training MMA). Despite what anyone tells you it is calories in and calories out. If you lead a sedentary lifestyle then cutting down on carbs (as they are higher in calories) will help but a balanced diet and exercise wins over a ''fad diet'. Do eat regularly to keep your metabolism up (small meals as previously suggested). Fasting will put your body into a catabolic state and once glycogen has been used for energy your muscles will atrophy. So you end up a smaller version of a fat person. Exercise in the morning is ideal on an empty stomach as you start to burn fat for energy. Lift weights if possible - more muscle helps you burn calories more effectively. Cardio isn't the holy grail of weight loss.

Just a basic tips as there is a lot of conflicting information out there. Also just be careful of hidden sugars - there are more calories in most fruit juices than in a San Miguel light!

Drink lots of water also as sometimes we can confuse hunger and thirst, particularly in this climate!

@tominbkk I agree 100% but i don't call it cured its much healthier. Just semantics but i agree with you.I think im medium low carb as i do eat muesli and oats and i both love them. But it also depends on the size. But its for sure more then your 30 grams of carbs on a day.

Just to put a spanner in the works, I believe very low carb diets such as the Paleo diet are a load of crock as far as healthy eating for normal people is concerned

Very low carb diets are useful for certain people who have serious conditions such as diabetes. It's a very good way to lose fat, that's for sure, but as a long term diet strategy it's too restrictive and too difficult to follow. It could probably drive some people to suicide. LOL I wouldn't be surprised if Dr. Mercola pigged out on desserts and ice cream when no one is watching him.

Unlike Mercola et al, I don't believe we evolved from hunter-gatherers and/or cave dwellers. I believe we evolved from grain and fruit eaters. The whole planet lives on carbs from grains. That's the stable. Fruit, veges and meat are extras, but not the main course.

If you can handle carbs, then go for it. Just make sure they're not highly processed. If you have insulin resistance or diabetes, then that's bad luck and you'll just have to control yourself when someone hands you dessert.

I had a great day yesterday. I threw caution to the wind and pigged out on lots of grains (bread, oats) and fruit. It was great just to eat what I wanted to instead of what I should have.

If you go low carb for too long you'll start dreaming of dessert.

Drink lots of water also as sometimes we can confuse hunger and thirst, particularly in this climate!

I find this one very hard to believe. Having lived in this climate for over 12 years I've always managed to distinguish the two.

The confusion probably comes about when people are hungry and thirsty at the same time and they don't know what to do first - eat or drink. In this case take care of the thirst first and then the hunger.

I find this one very hard to believe. Having lived in this climate for over 12 years I've always managed to distinguish the two.

The confusion probably comes about when people are hungry and thirsty at the same time and they don't know what to do first - eat or drink. In this case take care of the thirst first and then the hunger.

You might Tropo, but if i take a glass of water when hungry it does make the hunger go away for a while (not always) if anything its a filler.

Who recommends that you dont have veggie juices for glucose intolerance? BTW I think even watermelon which is high sugar is recommended for blood sugar issues.

One way for sure to find out is to test yourself I suppose.

Anything high in sugar is not recommended for people with glucose intolerance. The reason is obvious - they shoot the blood sugar up high. Carrot juice and watermelon juice will both shoot blood sugar high.

You might as well just eat several tablespoons of sugar.

Just to put a spanner in the works, I believe very low carb diets such as the Paleo diet are a load of crock as far as healthy eating for normal people is concerned

Very low carb diets are useful for certain people who have serious conditions such as diabetes. It's a very good way to lose fat, that's for sure, but as a long term diet strategy it's too restrictive and too difficult to follow. It could probably drive some people to suicide. LOL I wouldn't be surprised if Dr. Mercola pigged out on desserts and ice cream when no one is watching him.

Unlike Mercola et al, I don't believe we evolved from hunter-gatherers and/or cave dwellers. I believe we evolved from grain and fruit eaters. The whole planet lives on carbs from grains. That's the stable. Fruit, veges and meat are extras, but not the main course.

If you can handle carbs, then go for it. Just make sure they're not highly processed. If you have insulin resistance or diabetes, then that's bad luck and you'll just have to control yourself when someone hands you dessert.

I had a great day yesterday. I threw caution to the wind and pigged out on lots of grains (bread, oats) and fruit. It was great just to eat what I wanted to instead of what I should have.

If you go low carb for too long you'll start dreaming of dessert.

I do believe in lowering your carbs but im not sure one should go to only 30 grams. Maybe a diabetic should, i can't answer that one. Normal people can handle more carbs than that but not super great numbers. I also don't believe the myth you can eat as much as you want as long as there are no carbs in it then the calories wont count. I bet if you feed those people 100ml of flax seed oil a day on top of what they are eating without carbs you will see them get fatter too.

It has been theorized that low carbs mean higher protein and that is what gives the saturated feeling.

Thing is you can find evidence on both sides of the fence and it is impossible to know who is 100% right. I think they all have good things.

As for the evolution thing, what is available is not always the best. They were happy when they could get something. Balanced meals my .... if something was in season they went for that. Now we can make a much better selection as back then. I am pretty sure also we did not evolve having a lighter with us but still we thrive and got bigger brains by eating meats. Evolution means change it never stops. I don't believe that carbs are that bad if eaten in moderation and combined with proteins and fat and fibers. Also some carbs are real bad.. con syrup anyone.

Well, in that sense I guess you can never cure anything.

I don't know about other diseases, but I'm sure some can be cured... however blood sugar control is not a cure. A cure for diabetes would suggest that the person can go back to eating a high carb diet and post normal numbers. That's what a normal person can do.

This is a very important point and should not be taken lightly as it misleads a lot of people.

Right now my blood sugar level are good and would be considered normal if tested by a doctor, but I have not found a cure.

Fair enough. I control things by not eating white nutritionless foods. I personally feel many cancers and immune system failures happen because people are mal-nutritioned, and are getting way too much empty carbs/sugars in their diet. That's just me though.

• 2 months later...

I have done a couple of fasting, detox programmes & come out the other side feeling great along with good weight loss. Unfortunately the weight went back on. My feeling now is that weight loss has to be slow & steady, basically to fool the body into getting used to lower weights. There is an interesting documentary on BBC Horizon called "Eat, Fast, Live Longer" which has an interesting concept towards fasting & better health.

This program is brilliant. I am now trying the alternate day fasting to see how it goes. Mosley also did another program about exercise which I am also doing, Tabata training, also known as high intensity interval training. Will know next month if it works, but it sure makes me sore as hell, which is amazing for four minutes of exercise... :-)

• 4 weeks later...

Intermittent fasting works. I've been on the 5:2 diet since December. This is based on Dr Mosley's program. Basically 2 days a week I eat no more than 600 kcal and the rest of the week I am eat normally [but not excessively]).

For example I still enjoy pizza, ice cream, burgers, paneng moo, khao man gai etc. but these are rare treats for the weekends and for the main part I try to avoid carbs after dark.

Initially I went from 102 Kgs to 97 kgs with no exercise and hit a plateau that I have just managed to break through by adding running to my routine, and have since got down to 95 Kgs.

I am also using HIIT as part of my running program, where after a warm up I run fast for a minute, and then walk for 1.5 minutes and repeat.

I still have a way to go, but am getting ever closer to my weight and fitness goals.

Intermittent fasting works. I've been on the 5:2 diet since December. This is based on Dr Mosley's program. Basically 2 days a week I eat no more than 600 kcal and the rest of the week I am eat normally [but not excessively]).

For example I still enjoy pizza, ice cream, burgers, paneng moo, khao man gai etc. but these are rare treats for the weekends and for the main part I try to avoid carbs after dark.

Initially I went from 102 Kgs to 97 kgs with no exercise and hit a plateau that I have just managed to break through by adding running to my routine, and have since got down to 95 Kgs.

I am also using HIIT as part of my running program, where after a warm up I run fast for a minute, and then walk for 1.5 minutes and repeat.

I still have a way to go, but am getting ever closer to my weight and fitness goals.

Great.. whatever works for you and keep going.. running is a bit dangerous.. I mean for the joints and such if your a bit heavier. So be carefull about that, but great that your going through your limits.

This guy, Mark Haub, a professor of human nutrition at Kansas State University, lost 27 lbs eating mainly twinkies in 10 weeks... all due to the calories in/calories out principle:

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1

This guy, Mark Haub, a professor of human nutrition at Kansas State University, lost 27 lbs eating mainly twinkies in 10 weeks... all due to the calories in/calories out principle:

Tropo.. how he uses intermittend fasting is also a calorie in vs calorie out. Normal eating and then low days.. and if this makes him loose it easier.. who cares.

I lost a little over 30 kg over 6 month, by eating 2 meals a day, consisting of spaghetti, tuna, tomato,

and some spicy stuff.

If i was too hungry in evening, i would take a yoghurt with low fat cheese, i also drank loads of cranberry juice

• Like 1

I dont really think it proves anything much.

This guy was overweight to start with as he had a BMI of 28.8 so he was a fair bit of overweight.

Very easy to lose weight quickly when you are that overweight.

He reduced his calorie intake substantially so no great surprise there either regardless of the food he ingested.

His numbers for Cholesterol also improved so no great surprise there either.

It would be interesting to see other factors like how his numbers would stack up if he continued doing it for a few more months and if he would lose much more weight.

We also dont see what his activity level was and what level of general health he had before he went on the diet eg any pre existing medical conditions

This guy was overweight to start with as he had a BMI of 28.8 so he was a fair bit of overweight.

He reduced his calorie intake substantially so no great surprise there either regardless of the food he ingested.

It would be interesting to see other factors like how his numbers would stack up if he continued doing it for a few more months and if he would lose much more weight.

We also dont see what his activity level was and what level of general health he had before he went on the diet eg any pre existing medical conditions

It proves its all about calories in or out.. but the guy himself says he is not sure it is good or not.

But in the end I think its always about eating less.. no matter if you call it intermittend fasting.. atkins or whatever.

Anyway I do believe that for some people lower carb is good..

It proves its all about calories in or out.. but the guy himself says he is not sure it is good or not.

But in the end I think its always about eating less.. no matter if you call it intermittend fasting.. atkins or whatever.

Anyway I do believe that for some people lower carb is good..

It doesnt prove it for all people under all situations. Generally speaking of course less calories equals weight loss but as I have stated before there are many other variables to consider.

Thank you for that, Tropo. I (and others) have been saying the same thing ad nauseum

Tropo.. how he uses intermittend fasting is also a calorie in vs calorie out. Normal eating and then low days.. and if this makes him loose it easier.. who cares.

Yes, I just thought another example of success with calories in/calories out was in order.

The main problem with information suggesting that the equation is not valid is that it is not backed up by true scientific experiment. People are not fed in a lab with exact measurements of consumption controlled, but asked to record what they eat.

His LDL, HDL and triglyceride levels were a "great surprise" actually.