Another Approach To Consider: Intermittent Fasting, Etc.

Jingthing

This guy, Mark Haub, a professor of human nutrition at Kansas State University, lost 27 lbs eating mainly twinkies in 10 weeks... all due to the calories in/calories out principle:

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

I dont really think it proves anything much.

This guy was overweight to start with as he had a BMI of 28.8 so he was a fair bit of overweight.

Very easy to lose weight quickly when you are that overweight.

He reduced his calorie intake substantially so no great surprise there either regardless of the food he ingested.

His numbers for Cholesterol also improved so no great surprise there either.

It would be interesting to see other factors like how his numbers would stack up if he continued doing it for a few more months and if he would lose much more weight.

We also dont see what his activity level was and what level of general health he had before he went on the diet eg any pre existing medical conditions

His LDL, HDL and triglyceride levels were a "great surprise" actually.

I am not sure they were a huge surprise if you think about it.

He was very overweight so the weight loss alone might be enough to push those figures down.

He was also eating some good stuff as well so it is a bit misleading to say he was eating only junk.

He was eating veggies and taking a protein supplement.

Finally we dont know how unhealthily he was eating before so that his C levels were so bad so that is also an unknown factor.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This guy, Mark Haub, a professor of human nutrition at Kansas State University, lost 27 lbs eating mainly twinkies in 10 weeks... all due to the calories in/calories out principle:

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

I dont really think it proves anything much.

This guy was overweight to start with as he had a BMI of 28.8 so he was a fair bit of overweight.

Very easy to lose weight quickly when you are that overweight.

He reduced his calorie intake substantially so no great surprise there either regardless of the food he ingested.

His numbers for Cholesterol also improved so no great surprise there either.

It would be interesting to see other factors like how his numbers would stack up if he continued doing it for a few more months and if he would lose much more weight.

We also dont see what his activity level was and what level of general health he had before he went on the diet eg any pre existing medical conditions

His LDL, HDL and triglyceride levels were a "great surprise" actually.

I am not sure they were a huge surprise if you think about it.

He was very overweight so the weight loss alone might be enough to push those figures down.

He was also eating some good stuff as well so it is a bit misleading to say he was eating only junk.

He was eating veggies and taking a protein supplement.

Finally we dont know how unhealthily he was eating before so that his C levels were so bad so that is also an unknown factor.

Does it matter ? The point in question is that a calorie deficit diet will cause weight loss. Simple.

• 1 month later...

I think its interesting and if I ever manage to get to a decent weight, I'd consider it. But right now I'm kind of convinced that the best thing I can do is not let my body think I'm starving it so it doesn't go into "desert famine survival mode", to keep the metabolism happening at some level throughout the day. I could be wrong of course.

fasting is not all about losing weight , it is good to do because your body will start to clean all the toxins out , you will get a heachach after the first day , fasting is great for for 2 days a week .

• 2 months later...

I posted a detailed update in the other thread on coconut oil as intermittent fasting was discussed there too, http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/657002-the-hype-about-coconut-oil-for-weight-loss-is-it-for-real/page-3 but just remembered that we started talking about it here.

2sa7.png

To add to that though my running has been going great, now regularly running 6.5 - 8 kms had a few issues, but more from lack of knowledge about running than anything else (didnt buy shoes an extra size bigger than normal etc, didnt do a gait analysis so the shoes I bought didnt give me enough support). Fixed that now and the weight continues to drop, except a slight hiccup during a recent trip back to the West Country where I enjoyed a little too much cider, and a few too many Cornish pasties and scones with clotted cream, but Im reversing those issues too now. It works for me,and I reckon it can work for others too.

Edited by quiksilva