Barking Buddha Dog Store In Australia Irritates Thai Netizens

webfact

I'm offended by the Swastika and constantly being referred to as a 'farang' even though I live, work and pay taxes here in Thailand. It offends me, but I'm always welcome to leave Thailand. I choose to grin and bear it. I advise the Thai netizens to do the same.

Why is the word falang offending you? It's basically the Thai equivalent to caucasian!

Doesn't it originally mean French? (Farang-set = France)...

And even if it means caucasian, I find it a little offensive/discriminating to group people according to their race, same with black people, etc...

Somewhere it was discussed if it origins from France or not. Some say so, some deny it.

I am not offended by being called by my race, I am what I am and most Thais have good opinions about farangs.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Maybe the Thais should start putting things right in their own country before banging on about Buddha this and that around the word. Stop thieving, stop murder and stop prostitution in their own back yard before whinging at Holland and Australia about is wrong doings. I see all below on a regular basis

1. I undertake the training rule to abstain from taking life. . 2. I undertake the training rule to abstain from taking what is not given. . 3. I undertake the training rule to abstain from sexual misconduct. 4. I undertake the training rule to abstain from false speech. 5. I undertake the training rule to abstain from fermented drink that causes heedlessness.

I'll drink to that coffee1.gif Now, what was all this Buddha rubbish, do i know the man? coffee1.gif

I'm offended by the Swastika and constantly being referred to as a 'farang' even though I live, work and pay taxes here in Thailand. It offends me, but I'm always welcome to leave Thailand. I choose to grin and bear it. I advise the Thai netizens to do the same.

Why is the word falang offending you? It's basically the Thai equivalent to caucasian!

I notice that many people who don't understand Thai think that "farang" is derogatory, perhaps they relate it to the Cantonese word for foreigners "kwei loh", which means white ghost or devil, and is therefore quite racist. An explanation of the probable origin of "farang" can be found at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farang

As for the shop and its name - I am not religious in the least, but having lived in Thailand for a long time, I do tend to be quite respectful of Buddhist beliefs and sensitivities.

I see no reason for a shop overseas not to call itself whatever it likes, but they need to be prepared for those who may find their name offensive - in Australia, no right thinking person would dare to upset the muslims in case the religious lunatic fringe took aim at them with something nasty (as in : deadly) - so perhaps more thought should have been given to respecting the sensitivities of what is also a large and growing part of the Australian cultural scene.

I think it may have a more unpleasant meaning. I personally hate it, but put up with it. TIT.

Not true!

Chautangchat is the word!

For white foreigner, that is.

Farang is a Thai adaption of the Arab/Asian word ferenghi which means Frank....with a very negative connotion

And yes, farang has also a negative connotion.

Edited by hansnl

Being lumped with any Frenchman offends me deeply.

Another error ... 'farang' has far outgrown a simple ethnic classification, and now ranks alongside any other xenophobic word.

• Like 1

I notice that many people who don't understand Thai think that "farang" is derogatory, perhaps they relate it to the Cantonese word for foreigners "kwei loh", which means white ghost or devil, and is therefore quite racist. An explanation of the probable origin of "farang" can be found at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farang

As for the shop and its name - I am not religious in the least, but having lived in Thailand for a long time, I do tend to be quite respectful of Buddhist beliefs and sensitivities.

I see no reason for a shop overseas not to call itself whatever it likes, but they need to be prepared for those who may find their name offensive - in Australia, no right thinking person would dare to upset the muslims in case the religious lunatic fringe took aim at them with something nasty (as in : deadly) - so perhaps more thought should have been given to respecting the sensitivities of what is also a large and growing part of the Australian cultural scene.

Again, sadly common usage indicates very strongly that the word 'farang' is now derogatory; whatever it's etymology, common usage always takes precedence. When did anyone, walking past a group of hard working Thais, ever hear the word used in a complimentary manner?

• Like 1

Nice to see the THAIs so concerned.

Buddha was a foreigner. (Farlang-Farlang thumbsup.gif )

Buddhaism first came to Thailand 218 years after his death.

Buddha never visited Siam / (Thailand)

These Thais have no idea about other countries and that the Buddhist in Australia are not concerned.

Maybe their is a good job with their buddies in the cultural ministry on a mission to ban tities, but allow their country to be the biggest living brothel in the world. Just because they feel they got a win with the images of the temples on the Dutch Toilets last week, these %$#@* think they control this Buddhist Belief.

clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

Being lumped with any Frenchman offends me deeply.

Another error ... 'farang' has far outgrown a simple ethnic classification, and now ranks alongside any other xenophobic word.

xenophobic means that someone is not liked.

here it is more xenophil, as farangs are usually liked.

Ive lived here for 10 years and I still find farang offensive. All my wifes kids who are grown up now and their partners and children never call me farang. Up north her family call me farang every time. So I just call refer to them as slope head or jungle bunny. They certainly dont mind farangs when the food, booze and fags appear from nowhere. My point is if I know a persons name then thats how I would refer to them even when talking to others. After WWW2 many people migrated to Australia for obvious reasons and Aussies didnt really accept them either but with government programs over the years Australia is a true multi cultural country. Try being racist now, that is unless your'e a Muslim radical there's a fair chance you will get yourself into deep shit, just ask any policeman who works in suburban Melbourne or Sydney.

These Thais have no idea about other countries and that the Buddhist in Australia are not concerned.

Maybe their is a good job with their buddies in the cultural ministry on a mission to ban tities, but allow their country to be the biggest living brothel in the world. Just because they feel they got a win with the images of the temples on the Dutch Toilets last week, these %$#@* think they control this Buddhist Belief.

Wive told me that Buddha visit Thailand, as he walked all over Asia and lived a couple hundred years.....

Wive told me that Buddha visit Thailand, as he walked all over Asia and lived a couple hundred years.....

Yup, I've seen his footprint in Saraburi, and a big one it is too. :rolleyes: