Wikileaks Founder Assange To Run For Senate In Australian Election

webfact

He has been stitched up by our American "cousins ".

As a Brit, I hope he runs and wins electoral approval.

I also appreciate what he did with Wikileaks, we need to know what "they" do in our name.

Wikileaks is controlled by Putin, who funds and supports both it and Assange. Wikileaks and Assange are not independent.

If certain Aussies in a given constituency want that in their Senate then that's their business but I think it's a lousy idea - that's my two cents from abroad.

Next we'll be hearing Snowden is running for the Russian parliament, the Duma. Unlike with Assange in Australia, however, Putin can guarantee Snowden 120% of the vote.

Maybe Assange should run for the Russian Duma. I'm sure Putin could arrange it regardless of citizenship status.

Edited by Publicus

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cannot understand why anyone would vote for Assange, other than a throw away "protest" vote. Regards Australian collaboration with the US are people seriously stating that Australia does need the benefits of the ANZUS Treaty. One of the benefits is access to the Echelon network SIGNIT, good idea to understand what this contributes to Australian economic and defense national security.

Because Australians support the underdog and a sense of fair play, which he certainly hasn't had

Assange has had ample oppotunity to state why he advertised US military movements he got of a US soldier and advertised it on Wickileaks, which put the lives of US, Aussie, English and other soldiers lives at risk. The man was in charge of the site and has a case to answer. He is not only a traitor to Australia, but also to the US, England and the other countries that had and have soldiers in that war zone.

Anything he gets he has coming to him. He like most rats want the cash and the glory, but when caught cry about the deaths he caused or possibly caused. He should be prosecuted to the highest degree and punished the same.

But the U.S say they don't want him, so I guess he has done nothing wrong. If he did all you have said and is a traitor to the U.S I am sure they will leave no stone unturned to get thier grubby little hands on him.

Julian you have my vote.

Assange is not subject to the Espionage Act in the United States because he is not a citizen.

Assange technically is a journalist, albeit a dirty one - a publisher. The First Amendment makes it tougher on the US government to find charges to file against Assange. This affects the US Government more than it may affect Assange.

There are myriad obstacles to the US Government filing charges against Assange for his publication of the materials Prc Bradley Manning provided to him. Consequently, Assange remains uncharged in the United States. The Grand Jury that had been hearing the case against him has expired, which means the government would have to start over again if it wanted to try to charge Assange.

Manning is a member of the United States military. He is 100% subject to the Uniform Code of Military Justice (UCMJ). The UCMJ is not civilian justice and is absent a number of Constitutional guarantees that any US civilian citizen has in the US courts, state or federal. Manning can be treated very differently than a civilian who may face the same charges.

There is an old saying in the US military - that military justice is to justice as military music is to music.

Hence Bradley's particularly bad time under the provisions of the UCMJ.

Edited by Publicus

• 1 month later...

Congrats to Australia. Assange lost in a big way. clap2.gif

Imagine the chagrin Mr. Assange must feel now, given that not only did he fail to win a place in the Senate in the recent election, but he was less successful than Ricky Muir from the Motoring Enthusiasts Party. Mr. Muir, who won just 0.5 percent of the vote, is most famous for having posted a video on YouTube of himself having a kangaroo feces fight with friends. http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/15/opinion/sunday/assange-as-tyrant.html?_r=0

Edited by Ulysses G.
  • Like 2

Congrats to Australia. Assange lost in a big way. clap2.gif

Imagine the chagrin Mr. Assange must feel now, given that not only did he fail to win a place in the Senate in the recent election, but he was less successful than Ricky Muir from the Motoring Enthusiasts Party. Mr. Muir, who won just 0.5 percent of the vote, is most famous for having posted a video on YouTube of himself having a kangaroo feces fight with friends. http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/15/opinion/sunday/assange-as-tyrant.html?_r=0

A bit disengenuous.

Before the election Assange said that he cannot give enough attention to the election as he is dealing with other issues. So even though he applied for candidacy he never actually did much electioneering. Members of his party also found it difficult without him to garner support so withdrew.

So it wasn't really that a minimum of voters went against him, just that he never really put his mind to it. He nominated and left it at that.

You will probably find that Mr Muir didn't even get that amount of votes but due to the way preference votes are handled people who voted for another party, but that party didn't get in, had their votes automatically preferenced to Mr Muir allowing him to actually get into parliament. Preference voting is the major 'joke' of voting in Australia.

If Assange wants in, he will have to do what all independent and minor parties do, get the preference votes from other parties. But he will have to actually get the time to do deals.