Baht Rise A Threat To Tourism: Kittiratt

webfact

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it will be interesting to see what happens to the Chinese business, which is growing very fast.

They are notoriously fickle travellers, and in reality they don't come to Thailand for the Thai beach experience. I saw bus loads of them around the pier in Pattaya a few months ago, and they all sounded extremely underwhelmed with the Pattaya experience. There are billions of them, but if they don't get what they expect out of a holiday, the world travels very very fast among them as to where the next dream destination might be.

That said, maybe there are just so many of them, that Thailand represents a cheap and safe destination that the numbers will just keep on rising.

It would be interesting to see the tourist figures over the last 5yrs to see if he is right to worry. But I'm sure I read recently that the TAT announced record figures for last year and if so he has nothing to worry about! Five years ago one pound got you about 73-74 baht compared to 46 today and one Euro got about 55 compared to 39 today. People will still come regardless.

I am not certain that the "tourist figures" report "tourists" at all. Nor can I be certain that they are accurate.

My family have visited Thailand three times a year for nearly 8 years. Now due to the mismanaged euro having fallen catastrophically (which means higher airfares) and the high baht - we can only afford ONE visit - for about 35- 40 days. That's down from a previous annual average of 70+ days.

It is also clear that inflation has raised prices in hotels and restaurants - we reckon- +-10%. Here in Belgium the "Official Rate of Inflation" is around 2% - but that is a political "adjustment". To the people who live here it is about 12-15%.

I think all Governments - but especially in the EU - "adjust - massage -" things like Tourist figures or Inflation or GDP. It is the way of the political animal.

Comparing Thailand for a family holiday - to say the Mediterranean countries (euro) - though the fares are higher to get to Bangkok - the overall cost is about 60% of a comparable holiday on EU shores. Plus - and it is a BIG plus - Thailand is more fun, MUCH nicer people and it is a LOT safer.

If you are on a holiday it's fun, but if you live here, and are able to see through the facade of the two week smile, you would realize how unsafe this developing nation place really is, in every sense of the word...

To stoffel, for a family holiday, when you throw in the cost of the flights to Thailand, the duration of the flights, the availability of cheap airlines in Europe, I would say that a 2 week, 3 star family holiday for 4 on the beach in Europe is cheaper than in Thailand.

All of the people that I have advised where to travel in Thailand have been friends without children, middle aged couples. The amount of families with children coming to Thailand is far lower than those travelling to Europe for the beach and a break. Demographics are completely different. Some of the most stressed people I have ever seen in my life have been European mums and dads getting to their connections in SVB.

I am not saying Thailand is all bad, I just don't think for family holidays, Thailand is that much more attractive than Europe.

Frankly speaking I'll be glad to see the THB take a bit of a hit on tourist numbers. I believe visitors with a decent level of income will continue to come even if their currencies dropped 10% against the baht. What I don't like and I don't think they bring much to the local economy is the large coach parties of Indians, Chinese and Russians on package tours who seemingly don't have a proverbial pot top p... in. You know the ones I mean, they can be seen ambling around like ducklings with hotel towels thrown around their necks, or standing outside 7-11 with a bottle of Chang in hand. They seem to be ghosted in by coach, taken to business where a kickback is paid and then ghosted out again never to be seen spending any money in the local bars or restaurants. I recently heard there are Russians arriving on package tours from Eastern Russia and paying 400 Euro for a two week holiday 'All In'!. By removing this element of tourism, it may encourage the better quality of tourists to reappear, since their numbers have declined as these low end travellers have descended upon Thailand's shores. Generally they're rude, ignorant, hate cueing, wander aimlessly in the road as if they're in Mumbai, negotiate group sex for 500 baht, share a bottle of beer and bring nothing with them. If the baht strengthened substantially agaist the Ruppee or Rouble I wouldn't shed a single tear...

I agree with you, but it isn't just Russians and Indians that are the problem. I've seen plenty of obnoxious drunken English yobs as well, and they are far ruder than most of the Russians or Indians I've seen. On the other hand, some of my best friends are English and are perfectly well behaved.

What I don't like and I don't think they bring much to the local economy is the large coach parties of Indians, Chinese and Russians on package tours who seemingly don't have a proverbial pot top p... in. You know the ones I mean, they can be seen ambling around like ducklings with hotel towels thrown around their necks, or standing outside 7-11 with a bottle of Chang in hand. They seem to be ghosted in by coach, taken to business where a kickback is paid and then ghosted out again never to be seen spending any money in the local bars or restaurants
What you are not realizing is that these are the people the Thai companies are inviting and enticing to come to their country. Evidently that is where the easy and steady money is. I have a friend in the tourist industry who just got her visa the other day and will soon be heading off to India for a spell to drum up business. In addition, my ex-girlfriend is the manager of a hotel where they heavily advertise in India in order to lure those people over to Pattaya. I don't recall any marketing schemes in Europe, USA, or Australia begging people to come to Thailand. So maybe they want less of you and more of them.

The Baht is being kept artificially strong by the Bank of Thailand and the ruling elite want it to stay that way so that they can go on cheap shopping trips to Singapore and Hong Kong and buy cheap property in London. It is another example of The Great Divide in this country between the elite and the ordinary masses. Yingluck and K. na Ranong want to replace the governor with one who will weaken the baht, but cant under the flawed 2007 constitution. Devaluation would be achieved by selling off some of the country's large foreign exchange holdings and investing the money in infrastructure projects, but the current governor wont hear of it.

The Baht is being kept artificially strong by the Bank of Thailand and the ruling elite want it to stay that way so that they can go on cheap shopping trips to Singapore and Hong Kong and buy cheap property in London. It is another example of The Great Divide in this country between the elite and the ordinary masses. Yingluck and K. na Ranong want to replace the governor with one who will weaken the baht, but cant under the flawed 2007 constitution. Devaluation would be achieved by selling off some of the country's large foreign exchange holdings and investing the money in infrastructure projects, but the current governor wont hear of it.

And if they hadn't accumulated all of these usd and used it in baht what would have happened?

By investing this money in usd they have been keeping the baht artificially weak.

http://thediplomat.com/pacific-money/2012/09/28/the-dollar-trap-chinas-misunderstood-foreign-exchange-reserves/

switch China for Thailand

Edited by Thai at Heart

Those signs in Russian outside many of Pattaya's bars, clubs and restaurants suggests that the Thais consider them enough of a lucrative demographic.Sure you won't find many in French, Spanish or Portuguese.

The French, Spanish and Portuguese don't have so much money to launder.

Anyway if you can find a package tour from the UK to Thailand for 400E or less, please post a link.

(nice of you try to alter the price from 400E to 500UKP = 600E)

i always put together my holiday to Pattaya never a 'package tour'

my last one was a cheap flight malay airways £320 + £300 approx for accomodation off soi buckhowe, approx £750 spend

= £1400 for 21 day holiday

Cheap food's the clincher. Ever smaller servings of food at higher prices seems to be the order of the day. Add a higher baht to this and I reckon a lot of tourists might consider not returning.

Perhaps the cheap whining Brits can form a chorus and sing for their supper.

The whining will increase dramatically when the price of the "ladies of the night" go up! brits simply can't stand that!

Whats the difference between

a wombat and a australian?

nothing they both "eats roots and leaves"

What normal people came here for was :

1 .cheap food

2 .cheap female tourgide

3 .cheap rooms or bungalows

For the lonely soul number 2 is the main reason.

For the family 1and 3.

And for the very rich its whybother .

Unless they are hidding there ill gotten gains.

Correction!!!

Difference between a Wombat and an Australian is....Nothing, they both "EAT ROOTS,SHOOTS and LEAVES. The shooting part is important.

Thailand never fails to surprise really.

What is the biggest threat to tourism?

Murders?

Poisonings?

Shootings?

Rapes,

Tuktuk Mafia?

Scams?

Polution?

Quantitative easing in the USofA

o=Oooh!!! Phoom!!! Direct and devistating hit!!! At least that is what you would like to believe, lol. Thailand never fails to surprise you? As compared to where? Please in YOUR vast travels of the whole wide world- enlighten us cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif And you have set forth this "devistating" list as though it is an original observationtongue.png What I am seeing is lack of any unique understanding, thought or perception on your part and trying to sound otherwise by resurrecting a beat to death theme.bah.gif

I wasn't trying to alter anything. I think you'll find that Thailand is a more popular destination among Brits than it is among Russians. With that in mind, and the lower relative incomes in Russia, tour operators targeting them have to shave margins to a greater extent than their UK counterparts. Simple supply and demand, mate . . . or don't you get that?

But earlier you said, Russians rich, Brits poor ........... so by your latest reasoning the Brits should be getting the better deals. You can't have it both ways, but maybe you don't get that.

That's not what I said at all and you know it.

The Brits don't get better deals because more of them come here on holiday than Russians. There's a bigger market for package holidays to Thailand in the UK.

Does that simplify it enough for you?

Hmmm. I think you are seriously overestimating the number of Brits visiting Thailand. According to TAT the number of Russians visiting Thailand is nearly double the number of Brits.

But it is true that package deal budget tourists do not have the best reputation amongst locals. Be it be Indians and Russians in Pattaya or Phuket, or Brits in Spain.

I am on Samui and there are no charter or budgets flights coming here. Locals like to complain about the lack of affordable flights, but I think they would complain a lot more if boutique upscale samui would be overrun by package deal tourists, regardless if they were Russian or European. The Russians and Indians that I meet here on Samui stay in 5+ star accommodation, and are mostly very nice and decent people. Don't discriminate based on race, better to discriminate on class. A cheap lowlife Brit is just as obnoxious as a cheap Russian or cheap Indian.

• Like 2

There are reasonably priced flights to Cambodia and Vietnam. Burma's tourism is increasing rapidly. It probably wont be too long before Indonesia catches on although I guess the Moslem influence will hold them and Malaysia back. So watch out Thailand. People think they can charge London prices for taxis etc. Yesterday a taxi driver sitting doing nothing wanted 70 baht to drive 600 metres. I refused to buy a standard pizza in a standard restaurant up the road for 375 baht when I can get cheaper in London. Fuel costs, wages, local rents are a fraction of the cost in Europe but greed is taking over. I went into Pattaya to buy a wireless access point. After a lot of searching the cheapest was about 1500 baht. Look on uk ebay for new wireless access points and the most expensive is about £23. But of course Thailand still has a magic that separates it from others but the world is getting smaller and money is getting tighter. For the cost of an economy return flight to bangkok I had a 2 centre all inclusive holiday last september to Egypt . Blue sky every day and no worry about costs.

I agree with your view.. I just did a google search for best vacation spots for Americans. Considering the weak dollar.. USA Today and other media are touting Central America, Costa Rica, etc., Southern Mexico and the Caribbean.

I checked with some friends in the US and this seems to be the trend right now.. Cancun, Costa Rica, Jamaica, Puerto Rico were all mentioned. I asked about Thailand, knowing that some of them have been here on vacation.. Their answer was, now too expensive and too dangerous and getting too shabby.. Just my 2 cents worth.

It would be interesting to see the tourist figures over the last 5yrs to see if he is right to worry. But I'm sure I read recently that the TAT announced record figures for last year and if so he has nothing to worry about! Five years ago one pound got you about 73-74 baht compared to 46 today and one Euro got about 55 compared to 39 today. People will still come regardless.

but you can buy currency at a cheaper rate now...Then cut ones losses a tad and not return... Tourists are always looking for better package deals and south east asia has a host of other locations...Personally I much prefer Indonesia...and 9600 Rup to the dollar makes my cost of living as a resident a lot easier..

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Can I give you a ride to the airport. You probably can't afford a taxi.

It looks like 'MatureBrit' is already living in Indonesia, if you took the time to read and UNDERSTAND the post it reads,

makes my cost of living as a resident a lot easier..

whistling.gif

Baht has been rising for years now, Tourist numbers have been rising as well according to TAT, so what is the problem?

Rising baht did not affect tourism at all last year, in fact numbers were up by 10%(or something) from previous year(when baht was cheaper)

So they really have nothing to worry about, unless TAT is little lying and perhaps the lies are starting to catch up

Cambodia, Burma and Vietnam all require paid for visa's, and are full on communist or in Cambodia's case a banana republic.

Thailand was in the right place at the right time during the boom years of the late 90s/00s, it'll take some catching up for those other nations you mention.

And don't leave out communist Laos, where the girls are v.lovely and sometimes related to the cop who will bang on your door at 3 am demanding 50,000 Bt or a ride to the jail for frolicking with your Not-wife !

Edited by crazydrummerpauly

There are reasonably priced flights to Cambodia and Vietnam. Burma's tourism is increasing rapidly. It probably wont be too long before Indonesia catches on although I guess the Moslem influence will hold them and Malaysia back. So watch out Thailand. People think they can charge London prices for taxis etc. Yesterday a taxi driver sitting doing nothing wanted 70 baht to drive 600 metres. I refused to buy a standard pizza in a standard restaurant up the road for 375 baht when I can get cheaper in London. Fuel costs, wages, local rents are a fraction of the cost in Europe but greed is taking over. I went into Pattaya to buy a wireless access point. After a lot of searching the cheapest was about 1500 baht. Look on uk ebay for new wireless access points and the most expensive is about £23. But of course Thailand still has a magic that separates it from others but the world is getting smaller and money is getting tighter. For the cost of an economy return flight to bangkok I had a 2 centre all inclusive holiday last september to Egypt . Blue sky every day and no worry about costs.

I agree with your view.. I just did a google search for best vacation spots for Americans. Considering the weak dollar.. USA Today and other media are touting Central America, Costa Rica, etc., Southern Mexico and the Caribbean.

I checked with some friends in the US and this seems to be the trend right now.. Cancun, Costa Rica, Jamaica, Puerto Rico were all mentioned. I asked about Thailand, knowing that some of them have been here on vacation.. Their answer was, now too expensive and too dangerous and getting too shabby.. Just my 2 cents worth.

Thailand 'too dangerous' compared to Jamaica etc ...that's an interesting thought.

$428 all in for a roundtrip flight Chicago to San Juan PR. That's $1000 cheaper than a flight to SE Asia.

Thailand 'too dangerous' compared to Jamaica etc ...that's an interesting thought.

Defiantly not the Jamaica I heard about have been told Costa Rica is not all that safe either. A friend of mine was telling me a fellow grabbed her purse right in a restaurant and ran away with it.

I have been here in Thailand for 7 years and when I was living in North America Costa Rica, Jamaica, Puerto Rico and Cancun were all talked about as favorite destinations Nothing new there. To be Honest I didn't meet people who were talking about Thailand other than people in the import business.

• Like 2

Frankly speaking I'll be glad to see the THB take a bit of a hit on tourist numbers. I believe visitors with a decent level of income will continue to come even if their currencies dropped 10% against the baht. What I don't like and I don't think they bring much to the local economy is the large coach parties of Indians, Chinese and Russians on package tours who seemingly don't have a proverbial pot top p... in. You know the ones I mean, they can be seen ambling around like ducklings with hotel towels thrown around their necks, or standing outside 7-11 with a bottle of Chang in hand. They seem to be ghosted in by coach, taken to business where a kickback is paid and then ghosted out again never to be seen spending any money in the local bars or restaurants. I recently heard there are Russians arriving on package tours from Eastern Russia and paying 400 Euro for a two week holiday 'All In'!. By removing this element of tourism, it may encourage the better quality of tourists to reappear, since their numbers have declined as these low end travellers have descended upon Thailand's shores. Generally they're rude, ignorant, hate cueing, wander aimlessly in the road as if they're in Mumbai, negotiate group sex for 500 baht, share a bottle of beer and bring nothing with them. If the baht strengthened substantially agaist the Ruppee or Rouble I wouldn't shed a single tear...

I'm willing to bet that you are drawing these conclusions from Pattaya, which with no disrespect (I do enjoy a few days there), has never been known to attract a quality clientele. In any case, there's enough budget establishments to cater for the supposed paupers you describe.

Your views are undoubtedly racist. I know Indians can be a bit tight but I've never seen one start a fight and most of the Russian tourists, while not the most sociable, seem to mind their own business. I have however stumbled upon objectionable, obnoxious Americans, Aussies, Brits, Irish, French, not all of whom were exactly big spenders.

What's wrong with Russians and Indians taking advantage of good deals to come to Thailand? Is it any different from Brits and their cheap package holidays to Majorca, Greek Islands, Turkey etc. Everything you've said about the Indians and Russians could apply to many of these tourists, except that they won't start fights and puke all over the street

• Like 1

Due to a further rise of the THB the time will come when some UK ,US, and EU expats will walk on the pavements with a guitar and sing songs in order to get some donations from the public.

But they'd soon all be banged up ( assuming there's space in the over-crowded prisons) for singing copy-right protected lyrics ,in a public place ,without a work permit . Hapless souls !

Cambodia, Burma and Vietnam all require paid for visa's, and are full on communist or in Cambodia's case a banana republic.

Thailand was in the right place at the right time during the boom years of the late 90s/00s, it'll take some catching up for those other nations you mention.

Not (?) to mention Laos?

Whats the difference between

a wombat and a australian?

nothing they both "eats roots and leaves"

What normal people came here for was :

1 .cheap food

2 .cheap female tourgide

3 .cheap rooms or bungalows

For the lonely soul number 2 is the main reason.

For the family 1and 3.

And for the very rich its whybother .

Unless they are hidding there ill gotten gains.

Thought it was "eats shoots and leaves", or is that another thing aussies can't manage?

Don't forget that Russia is closer to Thailand than the UK is. I was talking to a Russian last year and he was even on the same timeline in Thailand as at home in Russia. He only had a 4 or 5 hour flight. Maybe short flights like these can provide cheap package tours.

Russia is a big place ..... some nearer, some further.

Er . . . but all points are nearer than Britain

Including that little bit way up north next to Finland, doesn't look like it on my map

Hmmmmm

Murmansk to Bangkok = 7,200 miles

London to Bangkok = 8,000 miles

OK, you win, you got me!

Murmansk to Bangkok 7,228.6 milesLondon to Bangkok 5,921 milesbut the ruskies probably get lots cheaper flights because they don't have to pay stupid rip off green anti co2 taxes!