Ten To Be Questioned In Kamnan Poh Case: Sheltering

webfact

Ten to be questioned in Poh case

The Nation

Probe launched over sheltering, but 'not against those who lived with Somchai'

BANGKOK: -- Police are set to summon 10 people thought to have assisted or sheltered high-profile convict Somchai Khunpluem, who was arrested on Wednesday after spending years as a fugitive. The 10 will be interviewed pending possible prosecution for sheltering a criminal, which carries a two-year imprisonment sentence.

Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung, however, said those who had lived in the same residence with Somchai, better known as Kamnan Poh, would be not be held criminally liable. "He was apprehended in a public area and we cannot know now whom Somchai was living with. This issue should be over by now," he said.

newsjs

Article 189 of the Criminal Code stipulates that anyone assisting in any manner, sheltering or hiding criminal suspects or convicted felons, or doing anything to help them avoid arrest, is subject to two years' imprisonment and/or a Bt4,000 fine.

Citing tip-offs from citizens and intelligence reports, police said Somchai had been residing at a house in his home territory in the Bang Saen area in Chon Buri's Muang district. He had been seen entering and going out of this house with many people and visitors including his son, Culture Minister Sonthaya Kunplome, and Somchai's four other children.

The black Lexus SUV in which Somchai was travelling at the time of his arrest at a toll plaza in eastern Bangkok belongs to Winai Phonphaiphal, who police said would be subject to legal action for sheltering a convict. Winai, an active kamnan in Chon Buri's Muang district, has already been charged with possessing and carrying munitions without permission, after police found six shotgun shells in the vehicle.

National Police chief Pol General Adul Saengsingkaew, during a press conference, was short of words and appeared awkward when discussing Somchai's arrest and fielding questions about the police's inability to locate him earlier. Asked about why police, especially in local precincts in Chon Buri, had no idea about Somchai's whereabouts and movements before his arrest, which received widespread media attention, he said: "This issue will be taken care of later."

Asked about the progress in apprehending two other high-profile fugitive convicts, former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra and veteran politician Wattana Asavahame, Adul said: "The process is ongoing."

Chalerm later hailed Pol Lt-General Phongphas Chayaphan, the commander of the Central Investigation Bureau who initiated Somchai's arrest, saying he and his men had been straightforward in carrying out their duties.

Phongphas said later that police were interviewing staff at Samitivej Hospital's Srinakarin branch, where Somchai had reportedly been receiving medical treatment. According to standard procedure, all hospitals are required to report to police when they treat people with gunshot and knife wounds, or people they know to have criminal records.

Somchai, now in temporary custody at Bangkok Remand Prison, reportedly suffers from depression and has seen a worsening of his various chronic diseases. Prison chief Sorrasit Jongcharoen said it was possible Somchai would later be moved to the prison's hospital if his condition deteriorated. "In case a doctor should recommend additional treatment, Somchai would be moved to Police General Hospital," Sorrasit said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-02-01

Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung, however, said those who had lived in the same residence with Somchai, better known as Kamnan Poh, would be not be held criminally liable. "He was apprehended in a public area and we cannot know now whom Somchai was living with. This issue should be over by now," he said.

Am I being stupid or is this comment completely stupid? Why can't you know who he was living with? Why should the issue be over by now?

So, the BIB ( elephant trackers) will investigate those that have assisted and sheltered. This I guess is to recover face as they couldn't find him all these years.

However this doesn't apply to those in the same house because he was arrested in a public place?

What a croc of <deleted>. I feel sorry for all of the gardeners, maids, postmen and drivers that will go through the grinder who will be expendable. The consumer of ear medicine should be locked up for the crap he spews.

I seem to recall last Year at a symposium of international prosecutors, the PM stating how its fundamental that the rule of law should be followed.

No problem, I am sure she will pull Chalerm into line.

Article 189 of the Criminal Code stipulates that anyone assisting in any manner, sheltering or hiding criminal suspects or convicted felons, or doing anything to help them avoid arrest, is subject to two years' imprisonment and/or a Bt4,000 fine.

Citing tip-offs from citizens and intelligence reports, police said Somchai had been residing at a house in his home territory in the Bang Saen area in Chon Buri's Muang district. He had been seen entering and going out of this house with many people and visitors including his son, Culture Minister Sonthaya Kunplome, and Somchai's four other children.

So are they now going to go after the Culture Minister??? Yaah... right....

BTW, nice to hear the national police chief say efforts to apprehend the biggest criminal fugitive are "ongoing." whistling.gif

I can smell this story from 100 miles away.

They need to put the lid on fast,

Ten people to be summoned for questioning which will take time yet with indecent haste, given there is still a lot to be uncovered, Chalerm has announced the Minister of Culture will not be charged with aiding his father ! Is anyone surprised ?

Ten people to be summoned for questioning which will take time yet with indecent haste, given there is still a lot to be uncovered, Chalerm has announced the Minister of Culture will not be charged with aiding his father ! Is anyone surprised ?

What this clan knows about all the shady crap that goes on here could bring down just about everyone.

They darent prosecute anyone too big.

Am I being stupid or is this comment completely stupid? Why can't you know who he was living with? Why should the issue be over by now?

No you're not stupid, the comment is, and incredibly stupid at that.

Fully agree with the sentiments posted by all so far. It's a crock of <deleted>, and Chalerm caps it all with his dumb, arrogant comments.

Yes, I'm sure a lot of politico's and police - local and national and families of 'note' are currently wondering where all is this is going.

On another note, I wonder how Kamnan Poh's arrest will effect the Khunpluem's family stranglehold on Pattaya and Chonburi in general.

Could this be the beginning of a power struggle in the province? Watch this space, I guess.

Indeed, more stupid and inane comments from the man best known for making them...again and again and again.

BTW, I didn't read the OP article as saying the son/Culture Minister was living there at the same house as his father. Rather, I read the article to say the son and various others were visitors there... But upon re-reading, the wording isn't exactly clear.

But if the authorities aren't interested in whomever was living in the same house (whomever that may have been), then just who exactly are the 10 people supposedly to be summoned for questioning?

And Chalerm is saying in one breath that they can't know who was living at the house, but in another breath, that those living at the house won't face prosecution. Oyyy... I'm getting a headache.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

I read they were not going to press charges against the family as it is a Thai thing to do, to look after the family.

This poses the question, which is more important to the Police the Law or family?

I think Chalerm has answered that in words and deeds.

• Like 1

No.

Indeed, more stupid and inane comments from the man best known for making them...again and again and again.

BTW, I didn't read the OP article as saying the son/Culture Minister was living there at the same house as his father. Rather, I read the article to say the son and various others were visitors there... But upon re-reading, the wording isn't exactly clear.

But if the authorities aren't interested in whomever was living in the same house (whomever that may have been), then just who exactly are the 10 people supposedly to be summoned for questioning?

And Chalerm is saying in one breath that they can't know who was living at the house, but in another breath, that those living at the house won't face prosecution. Oyyy... I'm getting a headache.

Who exactly are the ten, and how / where do they fit into the whole thing.

Nice question, can't wait to see the answer.

Who exactly are the ten, and how / where do they fit into the whole thing.

Nice question, can't wait to see the answer.

The 10 brought in were found to know nothing. They're all very tired from being throughly investigated and therefor don't want to be named.

Kahnam Poh has said he's very sorry for this big understanding and has released a music video "Kamnan style". He hopes the music video will cheer the Thai people up and make up for all the bad things he may or may not have accidentally done.

I read they were not going to press charges against the family as it is a Thai thing to do, to look after the family.

This poses the question, which is more important to the Police the Law or family?

Neither of the above . . . the thing that's most important to them is what is used to buy things . . .

If the man in charge of the RTP is not in the loop, that a man of this reputation is being watched and is going to be taken down, it really brings to question, Who is in charge of this dog and poney show?

What is next, for the lod man, a heart attack, stroke, or liver cancer?

Will the Mayor of Pattaya (his son) be on this list one wonders?cheesy.gif