Thailand Can Be A Deadly Destination For Australian Tourists

webfact

Thailand can be a deadly destination for Australian tourists

p22.jpg

THAILAND is one of the nation's favourite overseas holiday destinations - but the popular family playground has a darker side.

BANGKOK: -- Figures reveal the South-East Asian kingdom is the deadliest destination for Aussies. The 100 Australians who died there last year accounted for one in eight of the 791 deaths on foreign soil.

Greece, which boasts large numbers of dual Australian citizens, was the next most likely spot for Australian passport holders to die, with 58 deaths.

“Most died from natural causes, such as illness and age but, sadly, many – the result of accident or misadventure – were avoidable,” Department of Foreign Affairs spokesman Simon Merrifield said.

newsjs

An Australian dies in Thailand every four days on average and hundreds more require consular help.

Melbourne man Sebastian Eric Faulkner, 21, was the first Australian to die in Thailand this year when he fell to his death from a Phuket hotel balcony early on New Year’s Day.

Consular officials say motorbikes, power-ski accidents and alcohol-fuelled mishaps are the most common cause of serious injuries. Thailand’s full moon parties also often spark calls for help.

“Consular officers regularly assist young Australians who have been arrested, robbed, assaulted, sexually assaulted or injured during full moon parties,” Mr Merrifield said.

“Tragically, Australians have also died as a result of full moon party accidents.”

Disputes over power-ski hire, with claims of damage leading to demands for large amounts of compensation, are also common.

“We have had several reports of tourists being threatened with violence if the compensation is not paid. Some operators have also refused to return passports that tourists have left as a guarantee until such compensation is paid,” he said.

Mr Merrifield explained that little could be done to help tourists in that situation: “It’s essentially one person’s word against the other. Police may become involved and a long legal battle may ensue.”

Full story: http://www.pattayada...alian-tourists/

-- Pattaya Daily News 2013-02-01

footer_n.gif

Children of Greek citizens automatically become Greek citizens, no matter where they are born. Last I heard, Melbourne has the 3rd largest population of Greek citizens after Athens and Thessalonika. Many Greek immigrants retire back to Greece, explaining the high death rate there.

Similar story about the Brits, 342 died in Thailand in 2011. Must be in the blood.

Focusing on falls out of balconies or windows. It always amazed me how they both were able to lock the door/window from the inside before they jumped/fell.

• Like 1

Children of Greek citizens automatically become Greek citizens, no matter where they are born. Last I heard, Melbourne has the 3rd largest population of Greek citizens after Athens and Thessalonika. Many Greek immigrants retire back to Greece, explaining the high death rate there.

When I lived in Melbourne in the 70s, it was the second largest population of Greek citizens after Athens, even larger than Thessaloniki! I believe you're right about the death toll of retirees to Greece, as the country is relatively crime-free. Maybe some road deaths, but that's more the younger tourists on their hire scooters. I would imagine the majority of deaths here would be from old age.

It also depends on the profile of the tourist and the reasons for visiting.

A 40 year old who comes to Thailand with his family for a relaxing holiday and shopping is less likely to suffer any of the fates mentioned above compared to a 23 year old who's coming here for the sex, party, booze and drugs scene.

• Like 1

Seems to me Thailand has a lot of tourists who come here rent a motor bike and think they can handle the Thai style driving.

Not to mention nationalities but some more than others come here with an attitude that means nothing to the Thais. As far as they are concerned Farongs are all the same. They fail to see that these people put them selves ahead of others by right of there birth rite. This attitude of course can have unfavorable repercussions.

• Like 1

Which relevance does this have to the case ?

Which relevance does this have to the case ?

If you read the OP first you would have seen "Greece, which boasts large numbers of dual Australian citizens, was the next most likely spot for Australian passport holders to die, with 58 deaths."

Thailand is a "deadly" destination for any farang. The risk is ultra high, the security non existent, and the concern for welfare is non existent as well. Stay away. Buyer beware!

Well, we know why you don't stay inThailand don't we.

Myself, I've only been in Thailand since 1990, so I'm looking for some expert advice as to when I should leave.

ThaiVisa is great for advice, so please, go ahead, after 22 years here full time, I really need advice from the experts.

Edited by Banzai99
  • Like 1

Thailand is a "deadly" destination for any farang. The risk is ultra high, the security non existent, and the concern for welfare is non existent as well. Stay away. Buyer beware!

Pretty much all of your posts bash Thais or Thailand in one form or another and yet you are not even living here. What happened? Ex bg wife cheated you of all your money?

Anybody up for an all expenses paid holiday in Mogadishu?

I dunno the day trip I took to the local floating market had some lovely lads on it.

somali-warlords.jpg

BB gun centre was a bit extreme though

1282469330.jpg

Edited by mca
  • Like 1

Pretty much all of your posts bash Thais or Thailand in one form or another and yet you are not even living here. What happened? Ex bg wife cheated you of all your money?

Some people are generally looking to do the coning and can't handle it when they are cheated. The exact opposite of their plans. At least when they are playing their games it is with people like themselves there by giving honest people a break from their little con's. Now ewe cancoffee1.gif

This advertisement is sponsored by the Lao National Tourism Association.

• Like 2

Why is this only about Aussies? The terminal rates for 'farang' need to be exposed - and that is a far more sinister figure of total expats passing on whilst 'in' Thailand.

Because it was taken from the Herald Sun in QLD

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/thailand-can-be-a-deadly-destination-for-australian-tourists/story-e6frf7kx-1226564566461

I think this is a totally unreasonable and incorrect post - people travelling can be killed or die of natural causes anywhere in the world.

I have lived in Thailand for 20 years and I feel a damned sight safer here than in most western countries!

You have to consider the quality of the Ozzie or Brit coming to Thailand.

When I visit Australia or Britain, I meet a far higher proportion of civilized, halfway educated & articulate (Brits able to speak Received Pronunciation rather than just a dialect), well-dressed people walking around without visible tats or shaven heads. In Thailand, such seem few and far between.

Edited by JSixpack

Why is this only about Aussies? The terminal rates for 'farang' need to be exposed - and that is a far more sinister figure of total expats passing on whilst 'in' Thailand.

There was speak of this on another thread where people did claim Thailand was the most dangerous destination for Aussies and of course some do not believe and post..where are the statistic?..please give me webpage? ect ect

im sure this kind of poster will soon be on this thread also rolleyes.gif

But to speak in simple terms: Australians are a danger to themself!! Surely they face the same risk as any other tourist, so this whole idea is nonsense

Many come here from a very strict nanny state and go crazy because beer is so cheap and laws are often bent.

After being under the conditions of Aus where you will probably be arrested to f4rt in a public, beer and cigarette at ridiculous price, its no wonder they cut loose and let off some steam..cannot blaim Thailand tho whistling.gif

The FCO also claims Thailand is the most dangerous destination for Britons, as do the insurance companies. The Swedish government announced Thailand to be the most dangerous destination for Swedes also.

The articles have been posted numerous times, so I'm not going to bother digging them up again.

Thailand is a country of smoke and mirrors, built on a big illusion, so it is no surprise that the less astute of us fall for the illusion.

Some even buy into the whole package lock, stock and barrel, living in absolute denial despite clear evidence to the contrary.

I'm happy living here but also quite content with the reality of the place that I live in.

I dunno the day trip I took to the local floating market had some lovely lads on it.

somali-warlords.jpg

1282469330.jpg

Hey MCA....Somebody has already started yacht cruises....

A REAL Man's Cruise ..... Somalia Coastline special.

I've found a Somali cruise package that departs from Sawakin (in the Sudan) and docks

at Bagamoya (in Tanzania).

The cost is a bit high @ $800.00 per person double occupancy but I didn't find that offensive.

What I found enticing is that the cruise company is encouraging people to bring their "High

powered weapons" along on the cruise. If you don't have weapons you can rent them right there

on the boat. They claim to have a master gunsmith on board and will have reloading parties every

afternoon. The cruise lasts from 4-8 days and nights and costs a maximum of $3200 per person

double occupancy (4 days). All the boat does is sail up and down the coast of Somalia waiting to

get hijacked by pirates. Here are some of the costs and claims associated with the package.

$800.00 US/per day double occupancy (4 day max billing).

M-16 full auto rental $ 25.00/day ammo at 100 rounds of 5.56 armor piercing ammo at 15.95.

AK-47 rifle @ No charge. Ammo at 100 rounds of 7.62 com block ball ammo at 14.95.

Barrett M-107 .50 cal sniper riffle rental 55.00/day ammo at 25 rounds 50 cal armor piercing at 9.95.

Crew members can double as spotters for 30.00 per hour (spotting scope included).

They even offer RPG's at 75 bucks and 200 dollars for 3 Standard loads.

"Everyone gets use of free complimentary night vision equipment and coffee and snacks on the top

deck from 7pm-6am."

Meals are not included but seem reasonable. Most cruises offer a mini-bar... These gung ho

entrepreneurs also offer...get this..."MOUNTED MINIGUN AVAILABLE @ $450.00 per 30 seconds

sustained fire". Sign my ass up!

They advertise group rates and corporate discounts...and even claim "FUN FOR THE WHOLE

FAMILY". They even offer a partial money back if not satisfied....here's some text from the ad...

"We guarantee that you will experience at least two hijacking attempts by pirates or we will refund

back half your money including gun rental charges and any unused ammo (mini gun charges not

included).. How can we guarantee you will experience a hijacking? We operate at 5 knots within 12

Miles of the coast of Somalia. If an attempted hijacking does not occur we will turn the boat around

and cruise by at 4 knots. We will repeat this for up to 8 days making three passes a day along the

entire length of Somalia. At night the boat is fully lit and bottle rockets are shot off at intervals and

loud disco music beamed shore side to attract attention. Cabin space is limited so respond quickly.

Reserve your package before May 29 and get 100 rounds of free tracer ammo in the caliber of your

choice."

As if all that isn't enough to wet your appetite, there were a few testimonials:

"I got three confirmed kills on my last trip. I'll never hunt big game in Africa again. I felt like the

Komandant in Schindlers List!"---- Lars, Hamburg Germany

"Six attacks in 4 days was more than I expected. I bagged three pirates and my 12 yr old son sank two

speedboats with the minigun. PIRATES 0 -PASSENGERS-32! Well worth the trip. Just make sure your

spotter speaks English" ---Ned, Salt Lake city, Utah, USA

"I haven't had this much fun since flying choppers in NAM. Don't worry about getting shot by pirates as

they never even got close to the ship with those weapons they use and their shitty aim--reminds me of a

drunken 'juicer' door gunner we picked up from the motor pool back in Nam" ----"Chopper" Dan, Toledo

Ohio, USA.

C-Ya-At-The-Gang-Plank Soon!

Zero tango-tolerance with bulls-eye regards always,

• Like 1

IMHO most of these deaths will have some common factors - alcohol, testosterone and motorcycles combined with a lack of riding skills and knowledge of Thai "traffic rules".

On Samui, the number of tourists killing/maiming themselves on bikes is horrendous, and AFAIK no official statistics are published (don't want to scare the tourists, do we.)

The current trend to twist-and-go bikes (encourage those with no experience) with smaller diameter wheels (reduced gyroscopic stability, more frequent tyre punctures) and particularly those with "combi brake" (both levers activate front brake) will only make the numbers worse.

• Like 1

somali-warlords.jpg

1282469330.jpg

Hey MCA....Somebody has already started yacht cruises....

A REAL Man's Cruise ..... Somalia Coastline special.

I've found a Somali cruise package that departs from Sawakin (in the Sudan) and docks

at Bagamoya (in Tanzania).

The cost is a bit high @ $800.00 per person double occupancy but I didn't find that offensive.

What I found enticing is that the cruise company is encouraging people to bring their "High

powered weapons" along on the cruise. If you don't have weapons you can rent them right there

on the boat. They claim to have a master gunsmith on board and will have reloading parties every

afternoon. The cruise lasts from 4-8 days and nights and costs a maximum of $3200 per person

double occupancy (4 days). All the boat does is sail up and down the coast of Somalia waiting to

get hijacked by pirates. Here are some of the costs and claims associated with the package.

$800.00 US/per day double occupancy (4 day max billing).

M-16 full auto rental $ 25.00/day ammo at 100 rounds of 5.56 armor piercing ammo at 15.95.

AK-47 rifle @ No charge. Ammo at 100 rounds of 7.62 com block ball ammo at 14.95.

Barrett M-107 .50 cal sniper riffle rental 55.00/day ammo at 25 rounds 50 cal armor piercing at 9.95.

Crew members can double as spotters for 30.00 per hour (spotting scope included).

They even offer RPG's at 75 bucks and 200 dollars for 3 Standard loads.

"Everyone gets use of free complimentary night vision equipment and coffee and snacks on the top

deck from 7pm-6am."

Meals are not included but seem reasonable. Most cruises offer a mini-bar... These gung ho

entrepreneurs also offer...get this..."MOUNTED MINIGUN AVAILABLE @ $450.00 per 30 seconds

sustained fire". Sign my ass up!

They advertise group rates and corporate discounts...and even claim "FUN FOR THE WHOLE

FAMILY". They even offer a partial money back if not satisfied....here's some text from the ad...

"We guarantee that you will experience at least two hijacking attempts by pirates or we will refund

back half your money including gun rental charges and any unused ammo (mini gun charges not

included).. How can we guarantee you will experience a hijacking? We operate at 5 knots within 12

Miles of the coast of Somalia. If an attempted hijacking does not occur we will turn the boat around

and cruise by at 4 knots. We will repeat this for up to 8 days making three passes a day along the

entire length of Somalia. At night the boat is fully lit and bottle rockets are shot off at intervals and

loud disco music beamed shore side to attract attention. Cabin space is limited so respond quickly.

Reserve your package before May 29 and get 100 rounds of free tracer ammo in the caliber of your

choice."

As if all that isn't enough to wet your appetite, there were a few testimonials:

"I got three confirmed kills on my last trip. I'll never hunt big game in Africa again. I felt like the

Komandant in Schindlers List!"---- Lars, Hamburg Germany

"Six attacks in 4 days was more than I expected. I bagged three pirates and my 12 yr old son sank two

speedboats with the minigun. PIRATES 0 -PASSENGERS-32! Well worth the trip. Just make sure your

spotter speaks English" ---Ned, Salt Lake city, Utah, USA

"I haven't had this much fun since flying choppers in NAM. Don't worry about getting shot by pirates as

they never even got close to the ship with those weapons they use and their shitty aim--reminds me of a

drunken 'juicer' door gunner we picked up from the motor pool back in Nam" ----"Chopper" Dan, Toledo

Ohio, USA.

C-Ya-At-The-Gang-Plank Soon!

Zero tango-tolerance with bulls-eye regards always,

It never occurred to you that this was a spoof?