Sharing The Iced Water In Restaurants

tim armstrong

Just curious about your thoughts. Today we stopped at a small noodle restaurant deep in the country near to our house. Like many such places especially in the country, but everywhere, they had a large cold water bucket with a tray of cups. Mostly I avoid using this water for the obvious risk of catching something from someone else. But sometimes I do use them. After 12 years here I've never caught anything - that I'm aware of. Perhaps my immune system has been strengthened by the exposure to germs ? Or perhaps country Thais have healthier germs ? The same thing seems to apply to food. Even my wife sometimes leaves leftovers covered, but on the table not in the fridge. Nothing happens? The food is still fine the next day, even if its a hot day. Anyway now off to try the worm test with some pepsi on a piece of pork.

You'll love this one. I first saw it on Myth Busters and there were not many worms, but I've seen it again since, not pretty. You take a piece of fresh, uncooked pork like a chop or steak, put it into a dish, and fill it so that the pepsi is not quite covering the pork. Wait for I think an hour, maybe a bit longer and watch the little crawlers rise to the top and come out of the pork. Don't know if it makes any difference if you buy the pork from a supermarket or an open air market.

• 2 weeks later...