Shopping And Travelling In Malaysia

patient

on my visa run in 10 days i want to travel a bit (by train mainly) and buy an ipod and android tablet and mifi/wireless router and some good quality camping gear. can you recommend cheap and reliable places to buy...i have been reading about Malaysia becoming a dutyfree destination so think it will be cheaper than thailand.

has anyone taken the train from johor bharu or kl to Wakaf bharu and back. Wakaf is the last train stop before Khota Bharu ...border crossing into thailand. dont plan to cross there due to security problem but retn to K for train up the other side.

All the info re. Malaysia trains at www.ktmb.com.my. Can buy seats online, after logging in.

I did the east coast JBaru - KBaru (actually, train terminated ~ 10km NW of KBaru) eight years ago.

Left JB 9pm, terminated ~ 10am next day, Cheap, comfortable in second class. AA

Electronic, go to IMBI mall. Can be easy reached by Skytrain. Station name is also IMBI. If you visit Johor Bahru (S'pore border), take a ferry to Batam/Indonesia. Buy electronics there is cheaper than in Malaysia as Batam is a SEZ and things are really duty free. Also good nightlife, hotels are plenty available. (as well cheap). Best time to visit is from Monday to Friday. Weekend is overun by Malay & S'porian on a shopping trip. Also on weekends hotelprice go up! In every hotel you may negotiate price. Price always below Agoda best price !!!

thanks all.

and especially wdr..great to know about Batam...never heard of it before...(which is why thaivisa forumn are great) i assume visa very easy for a one day stay (oz passport) dont worry if u dont know though i will look into it. probably go to IMBI first then down to batam to compare prices.

cheers

Batam/Indonesia VoA USD 10 for. 10 days, USD 25 for. 30 days. Pay in USD, changed not at immigration, very bad exchange rate. Electronics can be found at Nagoya Hill shopping mall. Taxi from ferry terminal to shopping mall between 25-30K IDR. Must negotiate with taxi whenever you use one. Normally they ask 50K but tell them you only pay the amount you quote and go away - they will accept what you offered, tooo many taxi are available. Recoomend you google batam nightlife. Plenty of info. Cheap way reaching Batam, take a flight Hat Yai to Singapore with Tiger Airways. My last round trip cost me 110 SGD , approx. 2. 750 THB. S'pore airport to ferry terminal by MRT 1,60 SGD.

Singapore and Indonesia hassle free and very fast.

Batam/Indonesia VoA USD 10 for. 10 days, USD 25 for. 30 days. Pay in USD, changed not at immigration, very bad exchange rate. Electronics can be found at Nagoya Hill shopping mall. Taxi from ferry terminal to shopping mall between 25-30K IDR. Must negotiate with taxi whenever you use one. Normally they ask 50K but tell them you only pay the amount you quote and go away - they will accept what you offered, tooo many taxi are available. Recoomend you google batam nightlife. Plenty of info. Cheap way reaching Batam, take a flight Hat Yai to Singapore with Tiger Airways. My last round trip cost me 110 SGD , approx. 2. 750 THB. S'pore airport to ferry terminal by MRT 1,60 SGD.

Singapore and Indonesia hassle free and very fast.

as always and been told so many times, seat61 has train info-incl what you sought for. Wkf Baru (=new) is NOT the end of the line, thats Tumpat. To not go into KB and go direct to TH_ get of Pasir Mas and take bus to border-this info also on seat61. You pass that so often undermined and shot at SRT-line to Haad Yai. Look at the fortified stations along it.

Agree- prices in MY tend to be same-same or slightly higehr for those items as TH. What you (in your greed?) overlook is that ONLY the isle of Langkawi-well off the rails, is taxfree-and then mainly for items appealing to the Chinese and forbidden for the muslims.

thx again all. wdr very informative. great help.

as for asinine (sic) unsolicited judgements...take a chill pill or keep yr impolite judgements to yourself. i am aware of seat61 and used it. i wwas looking for personal impressions of that partcular route due to safety warnings and to see if anyone here caan recommend any other train rides from their own experience. but thx for yr useful comments re train journey and comparative prices beetween both countries...i am ignorant on both.

am i greedy ...u bet but who isnt too some degree. my fav website bback in Oz is called ozbargain and seems to me electronis r cheaper in Oz cf thailand. i heard something about high duties on electronics in LOS so thougght to visa run as well as shop and sightsee all together.