"quiet" Place To Live Right Outside Of Bangkok?

teacher17

Hello! My boyfriend and I (He is Thai and I am falang,) will probably be moving to Bangkok in a few months due to job changes and such...but we both hate the idea of living in the big city (and yes, it has to be Bangkok, not another city). Since I am not familiar with Bangkok and the surrounding areas, can you tell me what you feel is the nicest, safest, and quietest place to live right outside of Bangkok. I would prefer a place that is only 15 minutes or so by car/motorbike from a sky train station....if possible. My boyfriend was born and raised a country boy...so a place that has at least some "nature" (i.e. parks, etc) would be nice. The less crowded, the better. No real preference as to what side of BKK we end up in btw... we were thinking of some place in Kachanburi (sp?) but weren't sure how close it was to BKK....Thanks!

Kanchanaburi is 3 hours away from Bkk

ah....hahaha...ok, well THAT obviously won't work. I haven't "found" my job yet. But my boyfriend will probably work in Phaya thai or chatuchak...it's not confirmed yet and I will follow him and get a job in a school around the same area.

Why bother to reply to someone who is already teaching here + one local person.

Agreed....why did you even bother to reply in this thread then? It sounds like Nonthaburi is a pretty nice place...like I said, the quieter, the better. I know it won't be the country obviously...but as close as you can get to it for living in that area...

• Like 1

Agreed....why did you even bother to reply in this thread then? It sounds like Nonthaburi is a pretty nice place...like I said, the quieter, the better. I know it won't be the country obviously...but as close as you can get to it for living in that area...

I am not trying to be funny here, but have you or your (ban nork ) boyfriend ever been to Bkk.

My best advice stay where you are.

Take a look at the BTS map and ask yourself, where could we live, how much can we afford?

Some of the places suggested are nowhere near a skytrain, how much are you prepared to compromise, suggest you look at Chatuchak Mor Chit area, can your budget afford it?

I am not trying to be funny here, but have you or your (ban nork ) boyfriend ever been to Bkk.

My best advice stay where you are.

Take a look at the BTS map and ask yourself, where could we live, how much can we afford?

Some of the places suggested are nowhere near a skytrain, how much are you prepared to compromise, suggest you look at Chatuchak Mor Chit area, can your budget afford it?

Yes, we have. But it's been 2 years since I've been there (for a week) and don't remember much about it, nor did I have the time to explore the outer areas of BKK. No offense, but how do you know we cannot "afford it?" We have enough money, thank you. :) And staying where we are...well, we are going to do that for a few more months, but my boyfriend has a chef job that he might be able get (he has friends in Bangkok who own a couple nice upscale restaurants).

I don't care about the budget so much...but about how quiet the area is, how safe, etc.

Maybe post in the ladies forum? The guys usually aren't much help judging from answers like "stay where you are". If you decide on Nonthaburi, I can recommend a really nice condo building. It's sort of close to JJ (20-30 min) and that's the closest MRT. It's quiet, has a pool, and nice landscaping. Rooms are 5000-15000. It's mostly Thai, bit some farang. It's gated and has little restsurants, laundry, and a 7. I felt very safe even late at night. If we didn't need a shophouse I would still be there. It isn't very good if you want to work in the city. It didn't flood.

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Thaivisa Connect App

Edited by heatherm

I think you need to work out where you are working and then go from there and find some place based on that. There are places in BKK that are in the middle of a BKK Wilderness but as soon as you enter the compound walls it is a thousand miles from the traffic and noise.

there simply are not any such places in the full 100% anywhere in or very close to BKK.

BUT-this big city is full of unexpected much quieter (and slightly upmarket) areas as people who only know the big roads-or mostly not even that, just the raillines, know of.

Take a map of BKK, I guess you have one. The whole rather big sqaure area between LardPrao/south and Ram Indira/north and between the expresway that cuts it in the middel-both sides toward Phahon /west and Sukaphiban/east is in many places very quiet-and also miles from anything like shops, motosys for easy rent etc. The point is more: can you live with that?

Even go IN that soi 101-past the boy brothels, western bakeries etc and you also end in the ricefields. Problem is more to find a place to stay then there.

Also try to get a hand at a map with all those 12+ new promised skytrain/similar lines-expect masive condo construction and thus the noise/bigcity etc to come with it in sectors 1/2 kms 2 sides. As is already over-obvious along much of Bkk-Nonthburi rd and further on-exactly the area so praised above.

Question for u are you going to rent or buy ? And will u be buying a vehicle or just rely on public transport?

I say the area were I live will be biasis I live in Bang Bua Thong easy to get every were from here good mini bus service shopping prices are good in the area for restaurants markets many nice things. There are some nice projects in the area to live in also with swimming pools really big parks in my project. If you look around you can rent a nice place in one of the projects in the area. You can get a nice condo on Rattan a Tibet but it is a lot more busy there. Around this area you could hear a mouse at night so to speak.

If u have any questions feel free to PM me

Maybe post in the ladies forum? The guys usually aren't much help judging from answers like "stay where you are". If you decide on Nonthaburi, I can recommend a really nice condo building. It's sort of close to JJ (20-30 min) and that's the closest MRT. It's quiet, has a pool, and nice landscaping. Rooms are 5000-15000. It's mostly Thai, bit some farang. It's gated and has little restsurants, laundry, and a 7. I felt very safe even late at night. If we didn't need a shophouse I would still be there. It isn't very good if you want to work in the city. It didn't flood.

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Thaivisa Connect App

Thanks! Very helpful, unlike some of the other replies....May consider moving it to the ladies forum...but I figured the Bangkok forum would be helpful since I am looking for a place there. What is the name of your condo? It sounds promising!

I think you need to work out where you are working and then go from there and find some place based on that. There are places in BKK that are in the middle of a BKK Wilderness but as soon as you enter the compound walls it is a thousand miles from the traffic and noise.

I am in the process of finding a job. Just wanted to see if anyone had any ideas of quiet areas to live before I land my job. I might close in my job search on the areas people mention :)

there simply are not any such places in the full 100% anywhere in or very close to BKK.

BUT-this big city is full of unexpected much quieter (and slightly upmarket) areas as people who only know the big roads-or mostly not even that, just the raillines, know of.

Take a map of BKK, I guess you have one. The whole rather big sqaure area between LardPrao/south and Ram Indira/north and between the expresway that cuts it in the middel-both sides toward Phahon /west and Sukaphiban/east is in many places very quiet-and also miles from anything like shops, motosys for easy rent etc. The point is more: can you live with that?

Even go IN that soi 101-past the boy brothels, western bakeries etc and you also end in the ricefields. Problem is more to find a place to stay then there.

Also try to get a hand at a map with all those 12+ new promised skytrain/similar lines-expect masive condo construction and thus the noise/bigcity etc to come with it in sectors 1/2 kms 2 sides. As is already over-obvious along much of Bkk-Nonthburi rd and further on-exactly the area so praised above.

Thanks! I've already looked at a map...it seems like Pathum Thani has some quieter areas?

Question for u are you going to rent or buy ? And will u be buying a vehicle or just rely on public transport?

I say the area were I live will be biasis I live in Bang Bua Thong easy to get every were from here good mini bus service shopping prices are good in the area for restaurants markets many nice things. There are some nice projects in the area to live in also with swimming pools really big parks in my project. If you look around you can rent a nice place in one of the projects in the area. You can get a nice condo on Rattan a Tibet but it is a lot more busy there. Around this area you could hear a mouse at night so to speak.

If u have any questions feel free to PM me

We are looking to rent. Preferably a small (1-2 bedroom) house/town house if possible, located in a quieter neighborhood. Nothing too over the top...simple and basic...it would nice if we could find a place not over 10,000 baht/month....if that is even possible. We will get a motorbike, but it would be nice to have access to the BTS. Thanks for the info about bang Bua Thong...will look into it!

Why not try looking around the outer stations of the airport link. 10-15 min from one of those stations would be pretty quiet and green and the train goes to Phaya Thai taking about 20min.

Summerkorn is a very nice village/town with several lakes and lots of trees (Ramkhampaeng 120 or so). You may be able to find a small old house for 10-15k but they have apartments too. Its about 10-15 min from ARL Baan Thap Chang.

Edited by teatree

Why not try looking around the outer stations of the airport link. 10-15 min from one of those stations would be pretty quiet and green and the train goes to Phaya Thai taking about 20min.

Summerkorn is a very nice village/town with several lakes and lots of trees (Ramkhampaeng 120 or so). You may be able to find a small old house for 10-15k but they have apartments too. Its about 10-15 min from ARL Baan Thap Chang.

Good idea! Sounds like a nice area.

• 2 weeks later...

I am in the process of finding a job. Just wanted to see if anyone had any ideas of quiet areas to live before I land my job. I might close in my job search on the areas people mention smile.png

I don't mean to be judgemental, but for MOST people, the location of their job usually dictates their choice of residence.

In any event, as your partner is Thai, check out:

www.prakard.com

www.tee-pak.com