Say What?

Iolare

I was channel surfing last night on True Visions and came across a show about crocodile hunting in the Australian outback. What was remarkable about it was that the show's producer thought it necessary to supply subtitles written in English even though the hunters were talking in English. That was startling and funny to me, but I got the point as it was helpful in understanding the dialect. What made me think of that this morning was a comment made by a poster from down under in the thread about selling a used car in which he wrote "So it seems like you are taking the p ....ss." Some of these regional colloquialisms could use subtitles I think.

I think they need subtitles on BBC World. Seems like anyone with a weird accent automatically qualifies as a newsreader or weather 'person', irrespective of whether they can communicate or be understood. e.g. reporter Lyse Doucet and weatherman Matt Taylor. bah.gif

I think it's both the accent and the ability to restrain using local saying is what makes someone easy to listen or not.

I listen to some English science podcasts and am always delighted to hear good and well pronounced English. Even if the topics are not always easy, it's still easy to follow.

When I get to a local pub and talk with some English people.. I can have great deal of difficulties to understand what has been said.. this is specially the case when some people have 'burned' their vocal cords with tobacco and whiskey. The same happens with every accent.

Few years back Phuket Gazette tried to do a face lift by using 'fancy words' on their headlines and articles. I guess it's great that they can educate their readers to learn new words, but in case of communicating their news to the readers who come from all over the world and not necessarily have perfect English skills, they failed. If an article have multiple words which reader have to look in the dictionary the reading process get's too complicated.

Advice from non native English speaker to the native speakers:

- Do not use too many local idioms

- Articulate clearly, the other party have to already translate your talk.. so don't make it too complicated. He or she might have to select from multiple different words and meanings on real time.

- Speak slowly enough, but not too slowly. It's annoying to a person who can communicate with multiple languages to be treated like child.

- Look at your counterpart if your message is getting through.

As an Aussie, with the reputation for the hardest of all to understand, I think subtitles are a good idea. They assist the deaf after all.

Australians seem to be able to understand a variety of English dialects, probably because we get so much TV from overseas.

I really don't understand what this thread has to do with Phuket or Thailand...

He did mention True Visions smile.png

LOL! Good one! Although anyone who has been here very long has most likely dumped them. What a waste...

I find the Australian accent very hard. The only true English is spoken in Belfast

is that not Irish ? Ivan?

Actually, what's often referred to as 'Queen's English', is most prominent and widely spoken in the north of Scotland, Inverness area particularly.

American is an accent NOT a language!

Can't you tell by the way I type, where I'm from? I spell color and labor as well as many other words differently than you most likely would. And no, I don't have an accent! Although my Scottish grandmothers did!

I find the Australian accent very hard. The only true English is spoken in Belfast

is that not Irish ? Ivan?

Actually, what's often referred to as 'Queen's English', is most prominent and widely spoken in the north of Scotland, Inverness area particularly.

Cobblers.

After touring Scotland in 18th century Dr Johnson said the best English was spoken in Inverness.

So.....your info is a little out of date.

This is the origin of a frequently quoted piece of mis-information.

• Like 1