Upsurge In Retirement Visa Extensions

george

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To me the visa rules are not difficult here in Thailand. I've had an OA since I turned 50. The extension is easy. Now that I want to take my Thai fiancé to California, that's not easy. I petitioned for her visa back in June of 2012. We are approved, but still nothing from the BKK embassy after they were sent the files to them from the National Visa Center going on three weeks. Sorry, that I don't feel sorry for people who can't meet the basic requirements here. Try your whining with another country and see where you end up.

• Like 2

Can anyone explain to me how on earth someone can live of 15000 bath a month and have equal live as in your home country.

Hence we are with the four of us and hardly make it 65000 a month having kids at private schools, insurence, car, healty food, 48 bath 95 super petrol a liter,visit Lao family a raison of 3 re-entry 3000 Thai exit entry Lao 105 US$ insurence and car across another 1000 EVERY time we cross the border.............

thank God we are allowed to stay in Grandma's house, pffffffffffffffffffffffffff..........on the other hand i know people a family of 4 same situation same town, whom buy goatheadsoups a raison 10 bath a plastic bag,go to tesco to buy "overdated groceries" do NOT have ANY insurence drive a 15 year old "car' (once a month) and seem to be very happy, just like their fellow country men/women who are packed in the same neighborhoods and consider life a burden.

AsThai say.....up to you.

As for us?

We don't complain!

To me the visa rules are not difficult here in Thailand. I've had an OA since I turned 50. The extension is easy. Now that I want to take my Thai fiancé to California, that's not easy. I petitioned for her visa back in June of 2012. We are approved, but still nothing from the BKK embassy after they were sent the files to them from the National Visa Center going on three weeks. Sorry, that I don't feel sorry for people who can't meet the basic requirements here. Try your whining with another country and see where you end up.

Jimi, For some people the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.

Until you get across the fence, that is.....

• Like 1

@WHYBOTHER: as your quote :"as sponsor you agree to provide adequate accommodation and financial assistance as required to meet your partner’s reasonable living needs", is absolutely different, here when u r married to a Thai, u , the husband must provide the 400000 in the bank or the 40000 monthly income, and I don't know in australia how it is but in my three countries( I've three citizenships) my wife is allowed to freelly without so much restrictions as in thailand since the time she set feed there, I only need to proof that in case of emergency I can provide her with help withought being a problem to the government.

In Australia the sponsor is only required to agree to support the partner for the first two years, after which your partner can reside in Australia permanently on a residency visa. Also the partner, if needed, will receive at no cost, introductory lessons for learning English. You are not required to reapply every year and show a minimum amount of cash in the bank, nor report to immigration every 90 days. Partner visa for Australia now costs approx A$3k and is not refundable if the application is rejected.

EDIT: As an aside a visa service company in Pattaya who today presented to the expat club mentioned that recently two applications were rejected by Australian immigration as the proposed partner tested positive for HIV, he did go onto say it's rare this happens.

Edited by simple1

Can anyone explain to me how on earth someone can live of 15000 bath a month and have equal live as in your home country.

Hence we are with the four of us and hardly make it 65000 a month having kids at private schools, insurence, car, healty food, 48 bath 95 super petrol a liter,visit Lao family a raison of 3 re-entry 3000 Thai exit entry Lao 105 US$ insurence and car across another 1000 EVERY time we cross the border.............

thank God we are allowed to stay in Grandma's house, pffffffffffffffffffffffffff..........on the other hand i know people a family of 4 same situation same town, whom buy goatheadsoups a raison 10 bath a plastic bag,go to tesco to buy "overdated groceries" do NOT have ANY insurence drive a 15 year old "car' (once a month) and seem to be very happy, just like their fellow country men/women who are packed in the same neighborhoods and consider life a burden.

Private school, insurance, cars, foreign holidays and healthy food are all lifestyle choices for the wealthy in most countries. I didn't couldn't afford most of them in my home country (I did have a car).

Edited by TommoPhysicist

Read it again mate and then you might be able to comprehend ! duhhh.

What he is saying is, that he cannot have the same rights that any rich Thai can get in his original country. In case you don't know and it appears that you do not ! Firstly he cannot own land in Thailand, and then he has to apply for a retirement visa every 12 months and come up with all that cash. He is pointing out to those like you who obviously do not know this, the unfairness of the Thai regulations even though he has a Thai family. Please try to understand before you make sarcastic replies.

Thank you.

Totally agree that Edwin has a vital point and above comment. I have a different opinion. I am committed to upbring my two lovely Thai daughters - I take the full responsibility for their welfare, health insurance, education and so forth. Why must I apply for visa annually in order to meet the finance criteria? Obviously it puts the stress on the parents - not good. That is how Thai system treats us blink.png

• Like 1

Aside from the numbers of people coming to Thailand to stay for an extended stay, one possible reason for the increase in retirement visa applications and extensions is the immigration officers encouraging people to change to retirement visas after they turn 50, there is less work involved for the officers, I have seen this happening at the local office and hearing from people who have changed from non 'o' marriage to retirement.

@WHYBOTHER: as your quote :"as sponsor you agree to provide adequate accommodation and financial assistance as required to meet your partner’s reasonable living needs", is absolutely different, here when u r married to a Thai, u , the husband must provide the 400000 in the bank or the 40000 monthly income, and I don't know in australia how it is but in my three countries( I've three citizenships) my wife is allowed to freelly without so much restrictions as in thailand since the time she set feed there, I only need to proof that in case of emergency I can provide her with help withought being a problem to the government.

In Australia the sponsor is only required to agree to support the partner for the first two years, after which your partner can reside in Australia permanently on a residency visa. Also the partner, if needed, will receive at no cost, introductory lessons for learning English. You are not required to reapply every year and show a minimum amount of cash in the bank, nor report to immigration every 90 days. Partner visa for Australia now costs approx A$3k and is not refundable if the application is rejected.

$3,000 AUD for an application? Wow, that's a lot. So far I've spent less than $400 USD, but there are more costs coming soon. Another $280 to the embassy in BKK as well as a medical checkup and some documents need to be translated by a certified translator of a document or two... So maybe around $1,000 USD and a LOT of paperwork!

Aside from the numbers of people coming to Thailand to stay for an extended stay, one possible reason for the increase in retirement visa applications and extensions is the immigration officers encouraging people to change to retirement visas after they turn 50, there is less work involved for the officers, I have seen this happening at the local office and hearing from people who have changed from non 'o' marriage to retirement.

It's also easier on the visa holder. No more 90 visa runs etc. Just stop in your local immigration office and fill out a form and have them stamp it. Takes me about 5 minutes in their office.

Well, this is something that I've been thinking about , who the hell cares if the number of people on retirement visas increases or decreases, or if the most of the applicants r britishers or russians, they, they are not the real problem, the elephant in the room is the huge number of foreigners( of all nationalities and colors) that hav thai families( married to thais, or that have thai husdband/wife) and don't even have the right to earn a living in this country unless you hav a bachellor degree, or lots of money in the bank. we r thousand of people in this situtatuion, and it seems that no one in teh goverment care about us or about the well-being of our thai relative who in most of cases depends on us, at least give us the chance of work freely, eliminate the income requirements to our visa or make it equal to the normal income of a thai 15000 bath/ month ( 400,000 yearly = 33,333/month), and pleace lower the income requirements for pr and citizenship as well, we r human beings and our thai families too.

What I have never understood is why I have to show 65,000 baht per month or have 800,000 in the bank for at least 90 days whether I am single or married . In my caes I an an expat married to an expat, however if I was married to a Thai all I need is 50% of the above amounts , my wife is very careful with our budget not like some of my friends who are married to thai woman and are in debt up to there eyeballs due to there wives spending spree's !!!!!!!!!! Can never understand why the Government do not introduce a 5 year renewal of extension and charge 5 times the yearly charge up front. I am now in my 6th year of extension renewals and still dread the day because you never know what they are going to come up with my next renewal is June I just hope that by then the baht has weakened !!!!!!!!

• Like 2

As I said in an earlier post, a difference here is the foreigner needs to prove support, and in Australia the sponsor needs to prove support.

All countries have different financial and employment restrictions depending on amongst other things, average wage levels.

Well, this is something that I've been thinking about , who the hell cares if the number of people on retirement visas increases or decreases, or if the most of the applicants r britishers or russians, they, they are not the real problem, the elephant is the huge number of foreigners( of all nationalities and colors) that hav thai families( married to thais, or that have thai husdband/wife) and don't even have the right to earn a living in this country unless you hav a bachellor degree, or lots of money in the bank. we r thousand of people in this situtatuion, and it seems that no one in teh goverment care about us or about the well-being of our thai relative who in most of cases depends on us, at least give us the chance of work freely, eliminate the income requirements to our visa or make it equal to the normal income of a thai 15000 bath/ month ( 400,000 yearly = 33,333/month), and pleace lower the income requirements for pr and citizenship as well, we r human beings and our thai families too.

If you don't have the degree or skills to get job here, you could always take the family back to your country and see how you go there.

Do you think you could live on 15,000 baht a month here with a family?

First of all, yes, you can live here with 15000 baht/ month, most of thai people that i know live with that and even less, and secondly not allways your thai family want to leave thailand, after all is their country, and in my experience for thais learning english is difficult so just imagime how much more difficult must be learning, spanish, portugese, italian , french etc, is not so simple as you think.btw i do have my degree, and earn enough but i do know many foreigner that r suffering because of these absurde rules.

I don't know many Thais that could live on 15,000 baht/month even if they were single, let alone if they had a family. 35,000-70,000 for main earner, plus extra for second earner is more like it. But of course it's POSSIBLE to live on 15K. Whether you'd want to is an entirely different thing. I think for most farangs this would be very depressing indeed. 15K is 500 baht/day. That's for all expenses - home, food, transport, entertainment, etc. That is pretty close to hell.

Well, this is something that I've been thinking about , who the hell cares if the number of people on retirement visas increases or decreases, or if the most of the applicants r britishers or russians, they, they are not the real problem, the elephant is the huge number of foreigners( of all nationalities and colors) that hav thai families( married to thais, or that have thai husdband/wife) and don't even have the right to earn a living in this country unless you hav a bachellor degree, or lots of money in the bank. we r thousand of people in this situtatuion, and it seems that no one in teh goverment care about us or about the well-being of our thai relative who in most of cases depends on us, at least give us the chance of work freely, eliminate the income requirements to our visa or make it equal to the normal income of a thai 15000 bath/ month ( 400,000 yearly = 33,333/month), and pleace lower the income requirements for pr and citizenship as well, we r human beings and our thai families too.

If you don't have the degree or skills to get job here, you could always take the family back to your country and see how you go there.

Do you think you could live on 15,000 baht a month here with a family?

I have a family of 4 and I do it. Of course I am not hanging out at the bars or going to fancy restaurants.

$3,000 AUD for an application? Wow, that's a lot. So far I've spent less than $400 USD, but there are more costs coming soon. Another $280 to the embassy in BKK as well as a medical checkup and some documents need to be translated by a certified translator of a document or two... So maybe around $1,000 USD and a LOT of paperwork!

off topic, but for Australia you would have the same paperwork load, translations etc, you would have to pay for the full medical check by an approved medical services provider and RTP criminal record check (believe this is at no charge, not 100% sure)

Edited by simple1

off topic, but for Australia you would have the same paperwork load, translations etc, you would have to pay for the full medical check by an approved medical services provider and RTP criminal record check (believe this is at no charge, not 100% sure)

Yes then the same paperwork and medical check up. And yes a bit off topic. But if some seem to think the visa requirements are difficult here, then they haven't a clue!

• Like 2

Really can't understand how the op has so much difficulty arranging 400k in his passbook once a year.(with seasoning) I wish I had his problems.

Edwin was not the OP but he seems to be saying that if someone invests in Thailand and provides work for Thai's then he should be treated differently - more easily and have rights to own property - his investment line.
  • Like 1

I don't quite understand what do mean, I don't think that I am special, what I think is that like in most of other countries, if you have a blood relationship with the country that you have come to(husband/wife son/oughter etc) immigration rules should be easier in relation to those that don't have any other connection than work, investment or something like that, I do work hard to stay here, with my family, and you can save your pity for yourself, I don't need it.

For Thais to get partner (or similar) visas for other countries, the sponsor needs to prove that they can provide for their partner. The Thai government puts the requirement on the person looking to stay here rather than on the Thai.

Ahh, but the requirement in the USA is only 125% of the poverty level. 40,000 baht a month is 25 x's the poverty level. Granted I could not support my family of 4 on 1600 baht a month at least at the level that we have become accustomed to but 15,000 a month has suited us fine. How much you need all depends on where in thailand you live and your lifestyle.

• Like 2

Sharp rise in retirment visa's - Means more grandpa's & great-grandpa's hobbling about Patpong, Phuket, Pattaya, Patong.....one hand on stroller for balance & mobility, the other hand cupped firmly to the bottom of a tiny-Thai-teen. Geriatric farang's in paradisebiggrin.png

Edited by SparklingCascades
  • Like 2

The only problem I see with this story of more people getting retirement visa's is that this little secret, this great country to retire to, Thailand, is being discovered by everyone, and it will change down the road.

• Like 1

Well, this is something that I've been thinking about , who the hell cares if the number of people on retirement visas increases or decreases, or if the most of the applicants r britishers or russians, they, they are not the real problem, the elephant in the room is the huge number of foreigners( of all nationalities and colors) that hav thai families( married to thais, or that have thai husdband/wife) and don't even have the right to earn a living in this country unless you hav a bachellor degree, or lots of money in the bank. we r thousand of people in this situtatuion, and it seems that no one in teh goverment care about us or about the well-being of our thai relative who in most of cases depends on us, at least give us the chance of work freely, eliminate the income requirements to our visa or make it equal to the normal income of a thai 15000 bath/ month ( 400,000 yearly = 33,333/month), and pleace lower the income requirements for pr and citizenship as well, we r human beings and our thai families too.

Please check the immigration rules for your own contry - where I come form Thais has to show they have 40.000 THB for every month they want to stay - this is even if they come for holyday...

Is not the same going on vacations that going cuz ur husband/wife/son/doughter live there, I'm not talking about tourism.

whistling.gif I hate changing the topic on such a series of posts .... but since someone else just did it in another post I'll respond specifically to that.

There are not just two options for a retirement extension /visa ... there are three.

You CAN also qualify for a retirement visa/extension by using the combination method.

If you do not have the 800K in the bank, and your monthly income is not 65K per month, it is possible to COMBINE the two sources and you can qualify as long as your combined income exceeds that 800K figure.

So, just as an example, if you can manage 500K in your Thai bank account, and you also get a pension of 50K Thau baht monthly (equivalnt Baht income figure) your TOTAL income will be your 500K bank account and 600K annual income (12 months times 50K monthly from a foriegn pension) or 1.1 million baht.

That 1.1 million is over the 800K requirenent and that amount qualifies you.

I know, because I did something similar in October 2012 ... and it was approved in Chaeng Wattana.

So I'm here now at least until October 2013.

rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

Our property-evaluated by 2 banks (I paid them both for taxation report just out off curiosity). The properties and land is evaluated at around 9 figures in Thai Baht before the decimal!

No offence Edwin, bit if you have properties worth in the 100's of million range, in Isaan, you are the prime example reason why Thailand doesn't allow foreigners to own land.. It doesn't take too many people like yourself over-paying/over-investing before property prices quickly become out of reach for the Thai locals.

That is the very point I made earlier.

I met an American man who said "You Brits are ruining it for us all. You buy houses for your ladies and even for their parents and now they all expect a house"

See how house prices in Chiang Mai are rising because people from Bangkok are moving out due to recent flooding?