How Do You Stop The Smell Coming From The Street Drains?

mattjenson

When the wind blows towards my house my house fills with a smell from the street drain that makes me have to hold down my lunch. Has anybody had any luck stopping it? My neighbor tried covering his drain but that caused the water to pool around the drain and when it dries out we get a nice little dust storm which gives our soi a real construction site feel to it. Done the dash to close the windows but always seem end up with the smell inside.

Brilliant people that use the storm drain as their sewer line. Building code? Enforcement? What's that? I'd say moving is your best option...

Yes that is frustrating. Everywhere in Thailand urine and grey sink water runs directly into the creeks. Even dive shops I have worked for dump their dirty, soapy water into the storm drains. Really heartbreaking. Our hostel/dive shop has received bad reviews because of the smell coming from the klong (creek) along the path to the beach. A bit of rain and the water where we dive at the north end of Kata smells like Patong beach water smalls every day, like urine. (Also often smells like fuel which leaks from the longtails.) There is a small treatment facility at the top of that klong along Kata Rd. but it doesn't seem to be operating or effective. Or perhaps it is treating raw sewage then discharging the grey water in the klong. That would make more sense based on the smell.

Brilliant people that use the storm drain as their sewer line. Building code? Enforcement? What's that? I'd say moving is your best option...

Yes that is frustrating. Everywhere in Thailand urine and grey sink water runs directly into the creeks. Even dive shops I have worked for dump their dirty, soapy water into the storm drains. Really heartbreaking. Our hostel/dive shop has received bad reviews because of the smell coming from the klong (creek) along the path to the beach. A bit of rain and the water where we dive at the north end of Kata smells like Patong beach water smalls every day, like urine. (Also often smells like fuel which leaks from the longtails.) There is a small treatment facility at the top of that klong along Kata Rd. but it doesn't seem to be operating or effective. Or perhaps it is treating raw sewage then discharging the grey water in the klong. That would make more sense based on the smell.

I agree. But it seems like many restaurants and some homes have a blue 4" pipe running right to the storm drains, which empty into the klongs. Mostly kitchen sinks, which contains food waste. In the heat of the day it sticks, dries and STINKS! But no one seems to care or enforce anything. I remember when Rawai first installed storm drains. They put them on the higher side of the road. A couple of years later, they came back and put them on the low side as well. Civil engineering 101, water flows down hill... I guess the locals didn't take that class...

Edited by Jimi007
  • Like 1

Some Thai's I've seen, in other parts of Thailand, light a small fire in one of those small clay BBQ's and put it out the front of their house. I used to think it was for religious purposes, but I believe the fire is supposed to consume the methane gas, therefore reducing the smell.

I don't think it would be very effective, but this is what the Thai's do.

I think that's the outlet that was the subject of a German travel program last year. One of the PG articles about it is below.

http://www.phuketgazette.net/archives/articles/2011/article10458.html

Apparently, it was fixed. :) :)

Some Thai's I've seen, in other parts of Thailand, light a small fire in one of those small clay BBQ's and put it out the front of their house. I used to think it was for religious purposes, but I believe the fire is supposed to consume the methane gas, therefore reducing the smell.

You're right that it wouldn't be very effective.

Mainly due to the fact that methane is an odourless gas.

You're right that it wouldn't be very effective.

Mainly due to the fact that methane is an odourless gas.

Well, I added "methane gas" to the post. The Thai's have just told me, "Stop smell" or something similar. I just assumed it would be methane, but I'm happy to stand corrected. One should never "assume" anything. :)

A quick google reveals the below on wiki. Anyway, one, or a combination, of these gases that has an odour.

"Sewer gases may include hydrogen sulfide, ammonia, methane, carbon dioxide, sulfur dioxide, and nitrogen oxides. Improper disposal of petroleum products such as gasoline and mineral spirits contribute to sewer gas hazards. Sewer gases are of concern due to their odor, health effects, and potential for creating fire or explosions.[2]"

You just have to put up with the smell until proper deep sewerage is installed

Its expensive to install and will not be happening in the near future

Until that happens people will continue to use the street drains and natural streams to dispose of there waste products

Until that happens people will continue to use the street drains and natural streams to dispose of there waste products

The problem is, with more and more construction, those "street drains and natural streams" are getting more and more backed up, which is causing more and more smell, blockages and sewage to be pumped into the ocean.

Same old story. They want to sell condos, hotels etc and make big money, but don't want to upgrade infastructure to handle the extra demand placed upon it.

“…proper deep sewerage is installed...”

Hab hmmmmm, yes and thank you for this insightful Engineering analysis and solution. The design of drainage systems both within and outside buildings should take account of the need to segregate spillages of hazardous materials. Where there is a possibility that hazardous substances could be discharged into a drainage system, as in the case(s) mentioned in this topic, there already exists sophisticated interceptor and sump systems that could be provided (locally) of sufficient capacity to mitigate the problem of foul gases, etc.

Where the learned Khun Callan’s ‘deep sewerage’ idea may not be entirely feasible (costs) would be that, say, where Patongs’ treatment works is perhaps only a nominal level above the outfall at the beach headwall, an intermediate lifting pumping station and associated works would have to be considered. The solutions are not impossible but the will to do it?...proper infrastructure or new Mercedes?

Hab hmmmmm, yes and thank you for this insightful Engineering analysis and solution. The design of drainage systems both within and outside buildings should take account of the need to segregate spillages of hazardous materials. Where there is a possibility that hazardous substances could be discharged into a drainage system, as in the case(s) mentioned in this topic, there already exists sophisticated interceptor and sump systems that could be provided (locally) of sufficient capacity to mitigate the problem of foul gases, etc.

Where the learned Khun Callan’s ‘deep sewerage’ idea may not be entirely feasible (costs) would be that, say, where Patongs’ treatment works is perhaps only a nominal level above the outfall at the beach headwall, an intermediate lifting pumping station and associated works would have to be considered. The solutions are not impossible but the will to do it?...proper infrastructure or new Mercedes?

The majority of houses here do not even have grease traps or soak wells although when the builders submit there building plans to the local govt they will be on the plans to get the building permit approved, There are settlement ponds in some areas here no proper sewerage treatment plants or pumping stations as you would know if you lived here

Oh i forgot grease traps need regular cleaning its easier to just not have one installed when building and the builder saves money to

Also people just dump hazardous materials oil etc straight into the street drains

The developers pay the cost of installing deep sewerage not the govt so it is feasible this is standard practice in most countries

The majority of houses here do not even have grease traps or soak wells although when the builders submit there building plans to the local govt they will be on the plans to get the building permit approved, There are settlement ponds in some areas here no proper sewerage treatment plants or pumping stations as you would know if you lived here

Oh i forgot grease traps need regular cleaning its easier to just not have one installed when building and the builder saves money to

Also people just dump hazardous materials oil etc straight into the street drains

The developers pay the cost of installing deep sewerage not the govt so it is feasible this is standard practice in most countries

"The developers pay the cost of installing deep sewerage not the govt"

I think you will find most of the developers here are also the Government, and they don't "install" and therefore, they don't pay. smile.pngsmile.png

Edited by NamKangMan

Had the same problem at both places I’ve lived on the island. Had hoped when we moved the drain smell problem would be solved but as I now know all Thai storm water drains double as sewerage drains which explains that eye watering smell. There is a Phuket company ( www.drainisolator.com ) I found that installs a device under the drain grate which lets water pass through but stops the smells coming up from the drain. It’s cheap and works like a charm. If only someone told Bangla road about it all my troubles would be solved.

Thanks for the link, have had them do the install yesterday and am happy now. Stopped the mosquitoes too, bonus!

• 2 weeks later...

Is this device called a U-bend?

“Is this device called a U-bend?” laugh.png

Not quite...heh, heh...from the section sketch it would appear to be some sort of variation on non-return valve principles. coffee1.gif

The one they installed in my soi is more like a grate with lots of rubber stoppers in it. I understand the diagram on their website is for industrial type drains.