Brix Bar & Restaurant Turn Into Burger King

Jalapenos

Actually Brix at Hotel M already has great, clean toilet facilities (some of the most interesting in CM-- and I know my toilets) plus it's clean and airconditioned. What it lacks are customers, especially during the "off season".

Back when it was JJ, and before they starting messing about and fiddling with formats, it did not lack customers.

Before the former owners got jealous of their brother's successful restaurant and kept raising the rent until it got so high that he had to move out.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right, there's a bit of soap opera to the whole thing, but it remains sad.

Anyway I didn't yet form an opinion on the topic. Something like the following:

* Overall the old town area (within the moat) is rightly called that, and it is really nice (even for those living in Chiang Mai forever) to stroll through it, take in the temples and markets and try any of the small restaurants, coffee shops and boutiquey stuff that are opening up all the time, making the area even more attractive. I think it is one of the highlight of any Chiang Mai trip. The entire area is protected relatively well from high-rise development, which is a blessing. If not, we'd see some commercial monstrosities popping up. Yes there are exceptions, like Amora Thapae, though it's of course just outside the moat.

* In general I am also not against establishing international chain restaurants. You can even say that the building Starbucks is in at Thapae looks a lot better now than it did before Starbucks moved in. Yes there are a lot of grubby concrete boxes in the old town too. I don't think McDonalds looks too out of place either.

* Still I also can't help but feel a little embarrassed when visitors of Chiang Mai would see all the big global brands plastered around. It does take away (for some, as a first impression) a bit of the specific local vibe and atmosphere.

* Thailand is also a free country -economically- so if there is a demand for something then by all means go run that business and prosper. That concept of being friendly and free to developing a business is as central to Thai culture as would be the architecture, and Thailand is a better place for it. We wouldn't have a lot of nice little shops and restaurants if all this was regulated to death.

In summary I think what I would like to see in addition to the building regulations (no high-rise) would be more regulations on billboards and signage. If that's relatively restrained (in the downtown area) then that would be good IMHO. I do note that McDonalds and Statbucks are both relatively restrained, I hope Burger King can do the same.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 2

Great news - BK far better than MacD - opp in the Imm Hotel

Might be great news for some but fast food franchises ,in my opinion,just take away one of the reasons most people like coming to Chiang mai, to enjoy a different environment.If you want the city to be taken over by McDonalds ,KFC ,Starbucks etc etc,which is the direction it seems to be heading, may as well as stay in your home country.

I am a big fan of Burger King but it does nothing to enhance the area. It along with McD and Starbucks takes away from the area. All though I will admit watching the gate from the second floor of Starbucks is nice.

Forgot through Black Canyon into the pot also.

Obviously Burger King want to cash in on the Sunday market custom as well as the fact that there are a large number of people in that vicinity. Although I sometimes wonder if JJ's put a curse on that place when they left, because even with its brilliant location it has done nothing but nosedive since they left.

• Like 1

You can still people watch from the new BK and 99% of the thai food here taste the same , unless there is a really talented chef.

Why do people get so dramatic over a western franchise, it's just a hamburger place.

A clean air conditioned restaurant in that area is welcome. Now i dont have to sweat while i eat.

It specifically places like Burger King, McDonalds, Starbucks etc about which people have a bug up there butt, not about fast food in general. Compared the reaction towards this BK to when the Duke's Burger stand was about the open. The impending arrival of the later was anticipated with glee by the TV faithful.

Wow - a Burger King in Chiang Mai. This will really put Chiang Mai on the map as a cosmopolitan city.

clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

Please please Darth Sidious don't tell me you didn't know there is one in the Night Bazaar and has been for at least four years. Say it ain't so.

Edited by hellodolly

No big deal. 20 years ago the Thapae Gate area was a bunch of really terrible hole-in-the-wall Western restaurants,sleazy girly bars and even less ambience than now. The illusionary "real" Thailand is long gone.

Maybe it is time for a tour of the villages in Issan and some of the mountain tribes.

Might be great news for some but fast food franchises ,in my opinion,just take away one of the reasons most people like coming to Chiang mai, to enjoy a different environment.If you want the city to be taken over by McDonalds ,KFC ,Starbucks etc etc,which is the direction it seems to be heading, may as well as stay in your home country.

Have you traveled around the world at all? I don't have to "stay in" my "home country" to find a McD, BK, KFC, Starbucks etc. OK, they've got a McDonald's at Thapae Gate, one on super highway and then in the malls. Doesn't really sound like CM is being over taken by "fast food." Nor have I ever seen a Burger King here, fyi. Geez, some people and their drama.

Have I traveled around the world ? yes I have,sounds like you havent travelled much around Chiang Mai if thats all you can come up with.No one is making a drama out of it,only yourself ,its just opinions,relax.

I wouldn't call it an opinion when there is only a few here. Where my ex lives in Canada there is 4 with in a radius of 2 miles 3 Kilometers for the rest of the world. That is over run and it dosen't count the subways, Burger Kings, Wendy's, Tim Horton's and the list goes on.

Chiang Mai has very little in the way of fast food. Other than a shopping mall or the Night Bazaar where are you going to find two on corners across from each other. Old City over a square mile with out one. Hardly overrun.

Ever spent any time with a Thai? They expect food to be served fast and within minutes of them being hungry, so fast convenient food is exactly what they like, be it 7-11 or a roadside nodle shop. I have seen them frustrated in Burger King having to wait slightly longer!

Thats nothing compared to a dissatisfied farang...He'll let the whole restaurant know why the waiter is an &!@# if he gets the order wrong, because he cant understand what the heck the farang is saying. Then he'll go on to prosecute the Thai waiter asking him if he understands Thai .rolleyes.gif

Some farangotangs amuse me.

Sad to say I have amused you not at BK but other venues not always fast food. It's the American in me and I am working very hard at sending him packing to make room for more Thai.

Virtually every city on the planet has a BK, whats the problem for some of you. CM is PACKED with various food outlets from all over. Sometimes folk don't want to be a rice muncher every day, and for sure McD's and BK are the biggest supplier of what most folk want from time to time anywhere. rolleyes.gif

Not in Australia they don't. Outlawed them. No, not really but some bloke got in first with the Burger King name in a shop in Adelaide. They they then had to come up with a new name - Hundry Jack's. But that didn't hold them back as they are now the second largest Burger King franchise in the world with over 300 stores. Just goes to show that us Aussies like to eat a lot of shit.

Its that Ozzie beef.cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

More broadly, what a shame for the old Montri hotel, for decades an Icon, super friendly and helpful staff, cheap and clean accommodation and good breakfast.

Now given a cheap tart up, limited service, way too expensive for what it is, and from next month no breakfast.

What a shame,

• Like 2

Wow - a Burger King in Chiang Mai. This will really put Chiang Mai on the map as a cosmopolitan city.

Please please Darth Sidious don't tell me you didn't know there is one in the Night Bazaar and has been for at least four years. Say it ain't so.

Let me think ... oh yes - Chang Khlan Rd tongue.png

Let me think ... oh yes - Chang Khlan Rd tongue.png

I guess a lot of people don't realise the night bazaar is on Changklan Rd.

More broadly, what a shame for the old Montri hotel, for decades an Icon, super friendly and helpful staff, cheap and clean accommodation and good breakfast.

Now given a cheap tart up, limited service, way too expensive for what it is, and from next month no breakfast.

What a shame,

It is my understanding that Burger King has a breakfast.

20 years ago the Thapae Gate area was a bunch of really terrible hole-in-the-wall Western restaurants,sleazy girly bars .

That's the "Old Chiang Mai" that needs to be preserved thumbsup.gif

Interesting the old Chiang Mai with "really terrible hole-in-the-wall Western restaurants,sleazy girly bars" needs preserving. I for one would have loved to see the Chiang Mai from before the westerners.

Believe it or not folks There was a Chiang Mai before the westerners arrived on the scene to make huge prophets and convert the heathens.cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

20 years ago the Thapae Gate area was a bunch of really terrible hole-in-the-wall Western restaurants,sleazy girly bars .

Interesting the old Chiang Mai with "really terrible hole-in-the-wall Western restaurants,sleazy girly bars" needs preserving. I for one would have loved to see the Chiang Mai from before the westerners.

Believe it or not folks There was a Chiang Mai before the westerners arrived on the scene to make huge prophets and convert the heathens.cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Is this one of the huge prophets converting the heathens? biggrin.png

(For those that don't know - notice Burger King)

Edited by uptheos

Good one.

did you really stand there for over ten minutes filming.

When My boy was visiting he told me the fellow would put his show on down at Tha Pai gate.

Good one.

did you really stand there for over ten minutes filming.

I was his back up man laugh.png

• Like 1