Queensland's Member For Thailand Resigns

remmy

ABSENT Labor MP Robert Poole has resigned as the Member for Gaven, effective immediately.

Premier Peter Beattie told State Parliament he had received Mr Poole's written resignation from Thailand.

A former police officer and union organiser, Mr Poole has been dubbed the "Invisible Man" by constituents and the "Member for Thailand" by the opposition for his extended absences in Thailand where his wife and two young sons live.

Link Here

ABSENT Labor MP Robert Poole has resigned as the Member for Gaven, effective immediately.

Premier Peter Beattie told State Parliament he had received Mr Poole's written resignation from Thailand.

A former police officer and union organiser, Mr Poole has been dubbed the "Invisible Man" by constituents and the "Member for Thailand" by the opposition for his extended absences in Thailand where his wife and two young sons live.

Link Here

Did you also know he is a very active Thai Visa member, although I will not divuldge his TV name.

Yesterday the FC was packed with reporters and Television crews trying to find him.

Link Here

Ya gotta be where your heart leads you to be happy. Chok dee kupt to him and his family.

Hmm, I can see how this would tug at the heartstrings and yes, one belongs where one's heart is.

How about the scenario that he has been milking the system, being paid for work not done and used his and his son's ill health as reasons for not staying in Australia and tending to his electorate, which has effectively been without their elected voice in parliament.

Added to that he resigned only after the seat got too hot for him, not because his conscience told him he is not fit to be the elected representative of his seat.

It's nice to have Robin Hood-like persona or people we like to call wags or whatever, but this is nowhere near that. I have heard that fraud charges might be looked at, which would be a bit over the top, but if you had an employee who always called in on sickies and you found out he was on 'vacation' all this time - and he is still getting paid - would you feel ok about it? After all, our taxes pay his income.

At least he's made the break - hope he's now happy.

Edited by Sing_Sling

Hmm, I can see how this would tug at the heartstrings and yes, one belongs where one's heart is.

How about the scenario that he has been milking the system, being paid for work not done and used his and his son's ill health as reasons for not staying in Australia and tending to his electorate, which has effectively been without their elected voice in parliament.

Added to that he resigned only after the seat got too hot for him, not because his conscience told him he is not fit to be the elected representative of his seat.

It's nice to have Robin Hood-like persona or people we like to call wags or whatever, but this is nowhere near that. I have heard that fraud charges might be looked at, which would be a bit over the top, but if you had an employee who always called in on sickies and you found out he was on 'vacation' all this time - and he is still getting paid - would you feel ok about it? After all, our taxes pay his income.

At least he's made the break - hope he's now happy.

Hmm, our glasses are all half full, yours is half empty. :o Shame.....!

There's two sides to every story. It's especially tough being a human being trying to provide for and emotionally support a family while simultaneously being in a position of responsibility to a government and its people.

I did not know that he was TV memeber, well its good to have him here :o why work your ass off trying to please ungrateful and ever complaining people while you can holiday for the rest of your life in Siam :D

On the Today Tonight program on Ch 7 Sydney tonight they ran a story on Robert Poole. He was on a salary of 3 million baht a year to serve the constituents of Gaven. He had made 7 trips to Thailand since 2004, they showed his luxurious house in ***** (best not say where) with swimming pool and servants. They said he was living a life of luxury whilst only paying his servants $5 a week (150 baht). Some of his constituents labled him a grub, very bad and shocking. The premier of the State said he was betrayed.

The above is what they said on the program, not my opinion.

I can understand why the people of Queensland are pissed off but in the end he resigned and that's that. Australians can be a jealous lot at times. A lot of them can never understand why anyone would want to live in Asia (I know, I get the "why do you always go to Thailand" quite a lot).

Whoever you are on thaivisa sir you did the right thing pulling the pin. In 20 years times they will still be asking you "why do you live in Thailand". Good luck with your new life.

Link Here

Did you also know he is a very active Thai Visa member, although I will not divuldge his TV name.

Yesterday the FC was packed with reporters and Television crews trying to find him.

Now we have some idea of where he lives....thanks Lampy...the investigation continues... :o:D

They said he was living a life of luxury whilst only paying his servants $5 a week (150 baht).

Rubbish...................................................................as his servants are family.

Typical journo BS..... never let the truth get in the way of a good muck raking story. :o

And they post here, about wanting to interview expats in LOS & wonder why they get flamed, or ignored. :D

They said he was living a life of luxury whilst only paying his servants $5 a week (150 baht).

Rubbish...................................................................as his servants are family.

The Australian media loves to sensationalise Lampard, a lot of is half truths by half wits that have never been out of the Country. :o

Link Here

Now we have some idea of where he lives....thanks Lampy...the investigation continues... :o:D

If you want to know where he lives Burnsie, check out todays "The Australian". It has a picture of his house 20 kms out of Surin complete with the address on the wall. :D

Edited by Old Croc

good too see him stand by his new family and new country...

just wondering if he is still in thailand on a diplomat visa????

hope his knee is alright....

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/st...55E1702,00.html

sounds like some jealous politicians/newspaper writers are trying too drag him through the mudd..

stay in thailand and enjoy yourself...best regards ...glassdude007

Edited by glassdude007

Am I missing something here? Here is a former member of a State Parliament who chose to attend to his own private interests in Thailand, at the expense of the needs of his constituents in Queensland who voted him in, and continued to pay his salary while he ignored their interests in favour of his own.

Perhaps he should have resigned a couple of years ago. I doubt that anybody in Australia would give a rat's ass about him or anybody else leaving the country to live overseas, in Thailand or anywhere else. There are huge numbers of Aussie expats living in many countries; some return eventually, some don't. Most Australians would be irritated by his duplicity and hypocrisy, and who would blame them?

And I really do not see where this guy's heroism comes into it. Selfishness, maybe. Fraud, perhaps. Dishonour, probably. Heroism? Naaah. Save that for people who do something worthwhile under difficult circumstances.

Edited by wamberal

Am I missing something here? Here is a former member of a State Parliament who chose to attend to his own private interests in Thailand, at the expense of the needs of his constituents in Queensland who voted him in, and continued to pay his salary while he ignored their interests in favour of his own.

Perhaps he should have resigned a couple of years ago. I doubt that anybody in Australia would give a rat's ass about him or anybody else leaving the country to live overseas, in Thailand or anywhere else. There are huge numbers of Aussie expats living in many countries; some return eventually, some don't. Most Australians would be irritated by his duplicity and hypocrisy, and who would blame them?

And I really do not see where this guy's heroism comes into it. Selfishness, maybe. Fraud, perhaps. Dishonour, probably. Heroism? Naaah. Save that for people who do something worthwhile under difficult circumstances.

I would read it correctly if I was you. He visited Thailand seven times in 2 1/2 years, for an average of about 3 weeks a visit. I used to come more frequently than that from my job. He has a wife and family over here. What would you do? Anyway most politicians are safer away from the job where they cannot do any harm (Sorry Robert).

Well nowhere did it say he had to be in Queensland to serve his constituents! :o Faire play to the lad - he has his priority straight and I for one would love to buy him a few pints.

No worries you can reveal yourself to us here!! :D

Actually yes, it does.

Resigning was the right thing to do.

Waiting so long and neglecting your duties to your constituents was a wrong thing to do.

Talking about what a great father he is to have made this decision - why didn't he make it earlier then?

Not having a go at the guy, but let's not have him elevated to citizen of the year.

This has nothing to do with the tall poppy syndrome at all. He had a job to do - a very important one, and he didn't do it but was happy to rake in the money.

Oh well, what to expect, he is a politician after all.

if I am reading this correctly, the gutter press and some Thai Visa members have decided he's neglected his duties. I popped into a pub in his area when the press were there, and they were saying they was on his side and he was being hounded, then the same people write afslute crap about him in there papers.

Link Here

If you want to know where he lives Burnsie, check out todays "The Australian". It has a picture of his house 20 kms out of Surin complete with the address on the wall. :D

If you read that paper today you would have seen me...... :D

if I am reading this correctly, the gutter press and some Thai Visa members have decided he's neglected his duties. I popped into a pub in his area when the press were there, and they were saying they was on his side and he was being hounded, then the same people write afslute crap about him in there papers.

So you include the Sydney Morning Herald, The Age and the Australian as part of the gutter press?

saying they was on his side and he was being hounded, then the same people write afslute crap

You are clearly one who reads the highbrow papers.

So you include the Sydney Morning Herald, The Age and the Australian as part of the gutter press?

saying they was on his side and he was being hounded, then the same people write afslute crap

You are clearly one who reads the highbrow papers.

They employ journos, don't they? :o

How is it that you have a bee in yr bonnet about Poole?

Has he done you a wrong?

Old Croc

I was able to find an old photo of Udon as a kitten.

post-18822-1141339855_thumb.jpg

:D

Touche! :D

If you read that paper today you would have seen me...... :o

Burnsie,

I've looked every where in that paper and there's no pic of anyone in an orange jump suit and leg shackles.

What page was it?

Dont know the page number...it was cut out for me....a little way in the paper....it is a fairly large pic of three people and one has handcuffs on....should be Thursdays paper.....