River Market Review

LawrenceChee

Dukes Pizza is unbeatable ..... this topic is Riverside which serves overpriced and watered down Thai food.

Please don't confuse the two.

Err. No its not.

I thoroughly enjoy a Duke's pizza and would agree it's not 'unbeatable' - but I'll qualify that by saying I also sold pizza (I had a place in Africa) so for me there's no such thing as an 'unbeatable' pizza, it hugely depends on whether the one you get 'today' meets your expectation of what you were in the mood for 'today'.

Personally I haven't found anywhere yet that serves pizza I prefer over Duke's... So, reason I'm commenting is to gripe about your post... If you know somewhere in CM that's (in your opinion) more 'unbeatable' than Duke's I'm sure we'd all like to know where, why stop at "no it's not"?

I agree. The Duke's makes the best pizza in town, hands down. There are a few Italian restaurants that I enjoy for pasta and other Italian dishes but at each and every one of them, their pizza is not as good as the Duke's. And for those complaining about the prices at Duke's for pizza, when is the last time some of you ate a pizza in Europe or America? Seriously, take a look on-line at places you used to buy pizza at in Europe or America. I just checked to see what a medium size pizza costs at my favorite place in Los Angeles and it is around the US $20/Euro 15,00 mark. We usually buy the garlic chicken thin crust pizza at Duke's which costs 205 THB for a small and 340 THB for a medium. A small is big enough for 2 people to be stuffed. A medium is too big for 2 people, it comfortably feeds 3. That is less than 1/2 of the cost of a pizza in USA. I can't find the prices for my favorite pizza places in Europe but they are easily 15 Euros each. I really don't understand all the complaining.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a Duke's devotee I am somewhat disappointed that CM expats are not more supportive of Dave and his RM.

The city riverfront land and construction cost a lot of money, a lot more than some other locations mentioned, and one might expect to pay a small premium for that.

Finding good managers and staff has been difficult and Dave spends a lot of time at RM to make a go of it. Please support his efforts to make it a Chiang Mai landmark restaurant with constructive criticism and foot traffic.

Note: I have no affiliation with RM, just many years in Hospitality, and my TW is a top chef! biggrin.png

As you said, you're a "devotee" so you are talking about it like it is either a charity or a cult.

I'm not, and to me the food was not high quality and overpriced for what you get. Friends of mine agreed.

If that's not constructive criticism I don't know what is.

And as for Duke's I've been there twice, both times expecting something great because of all the "devotees". The burger was alright but I like Chiang Mai Saloon's better and I also like the price more at CMS!! I tried some of the good looking chocolate cake at Duke's. It was stale!

I didn't even know they were owned by the same people until your comments but it is not surprising as in my opinion they are both overpriced restaurants that are hyped up by a band of "devotees" such as yourself.

Please don't twist my words and cast innuendo's. I clearly stated that I am a Dukes devotee, as in devoted to the Dukes - and particularly the ribs. USA rib-lovers (cultists) agree The Dukes ribs are the best you'll get (outside Texas).

I take visitors to River Market for ambiance, view, ease of parking AND carefully select the menu items we've enjoyed previously. One may even dine at RM on ribs delivered across from The Dukes .... best of both World's :D

NB: TGM brand bacon and ham is best IMHO and Sausage Kings 'dinner pork' sausage more to my liking than G & M or even TGM.

Now, who serves authentic Spag Bol in Chiang Mai? Where is the BEST and cheapest pad thai sold in Thailand? 5555

• Like 1

Good post, HelloDolly. I agree with everything you wrote. Food has always been about personal taste and personal choices. Some Thais like to eat fried insects. I don't. Some people don't mind paying $30 or $40 for a meal. I would rather spend $1 on a Thai meal and use the other $29 on something else.

Dukes Pizza is unbeatable ..... this topic is Riverside which serves overpriced and watered down Thai food.

Err. No its not.

I thoroughly enjoy a Duke's pizza and would agree it's not 'unbeatable' - but I'll qualify that by saying I also sold pizza (I had a place in Africa) so for me there's no such thing as an 'unbeatable' pizza, it hugely depends on whether the one you get 'today' meets your expectation of what you were in the mood for 'today'.

Personally I haven't found anywhere yet that serves pizza I prefer over Duke's... So, reason I'm commenting is to gripe about your post... If you know somewhere in CM that's (in your opinion) more 'unbeatable' than Duke's I'm sure we'd all like to know where, why stop at "no it's not"?

Because the 'Err. No its not.' comment was about the topic being about Riverside Restaurant not about the Pizza.

• Like 1

Err. No its not.

If you know somewhere in CM that's (in your opinion) more 'unbeatable' than Duke's I'm sure we'd all like to know where, why stop at "no it's not"?

Because the 'Err. No its not.' comment was about the topic being about Riverside Restaurant not about the Pizza.

My bad - assuming you're right. But I assumed he meant "no it's not" in reference to the unbeatable pizza comment, while you've assumed it was in reference to the topic of discussion. I'd rather Naboo tell us which assumption was correct (and if he's found a good pizza place to add to our list...)

Bobl - I have not assumed anything. The poster highlighted the word Riverside and said 'err no its not'. Because Tommo had said the topic was about Riverside, when it is about River Market wai2.gif

Well dam_n... I didn't even notice that highlight even 2nd time around. Conclusive proof that for me, reading comprehension is directly related to caffeine level (or lack thereof)...
  • Like 2

If people insist on comparing prices to US/ EU then you should add a pro-rated cost of the flight, hotel and transportation costs while you are in Thailand to the price of the pizzas. You are not in the US or EU so the price there is irrelevant.

I definitely enjoy the Dukes pizza and really enjoy taking friends there for a dinner or two. I have been to Rivermarket twice and am not in a big rush to go back simply because if I want Thai food there are so many great Thai places and if I want farang I will probably consider the Dukes. It still is a very beautiful restaurant though and I wish Dave the absolute best.

• Like 2

Good place and I've been a few times now. Just don't order the somtam - it was not good and hugely overpriced! I also thought the sushi was lacking. I liked every other dish I had, though, which is about 15 of them. The ambiance is great and I always had good service. The place felt clean and overall paying a bit more was worth it to me. I am not some guy living out here on a thousand bucks a month or whatever, though. Those guys should probably avoid this place.

The reason I hardly ever go here is that I live far(ish) away. Whenever I am in the area I always go to the Dukes instead... and I am not about to make that trek just for some Thai food.

Edited by drnkurmlkshk

Good place and I've been a few times now. Just don't order the somtam - it was not good and hugely overpriced! I also thought the sushi was lacking. I liked every other dish I had, though, which is about 15 of them. The ambiance is great and I always had good service. The place felt clean and overall paying a bit more was worth it to me. I am not some guy living out here on a thousand bucks a month or whatever, though. Those guys should probably avoid this place.

The reason I hardly ever go here is that I live far(ish) away. Whenever I am in the area I always go to the Dukes instead... and I am not about to make that trek just for some Thai food.

I think as you put it some guy living on 1,000 bucks a month or whatever should avoid this place ".I would say if you had that amount of income it is still within your price range

I could but wont because I dont think I m allowed to on here name you at least three other upmarket Thai type restaurants also with a river setting where the food is both much better and less expensive.

If people think River Market is good, they really must be grasping at straws!!!

Okay where is better, I go out everyday to eat, tell me where these hidden treasures are please!

Good place and I've been a few times now. Just don't order the somtam - it was not good and hugely overpriced!.

How does somtam get messed up, it's probably the single most popular item eaten by Thai's. Unless, it's been somehow 'fused' to try and accommodate tourist tastes, but I can't see it working. I'm pretty sure any Thai or ex-pat wouldn't want fused somtam, when there is so much excellent somtam.

Edited by uptheos
  • Like 2

Good place and I've been a few times now. Just don't order the somtam - it was not good and hugely overpriced!.

How does somtam get messed up, it's probably the single most popular item eaten by Thai's.

It's real easy to mess up som tam... That's a bit like saying "how does 'A Salad' get messed up"... Hardly surprising given it's generic name, sour crushed could apply to just about anything...

There's so many variations on som tam it's hard to know if there's even a 'proper' version, and certainly there are regional variations that claim to be their 'proper' version. Personally I absolutely hate the ones that are too fishy, or have little crunchy bits of dried shrimp or pickled crabs...

Actually somtam is orginal fusion food, taking ingredients from Central America and adding pretty much anything you want..... can be made from almost any veg, cucumber is good,, palm heart is real good.

I like fruit somtam. The other stuff is nasty, especially the somtam Lao.

Somtam Lao is my favorite. Love it. All a matter of personal taste preference is all.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Actually somtam is orginal fusion food, taking ingredients from Central America and adding pretty much anything you want..... can be made from almost any veg, cucumber is good,, palm heart is real good.

Somtam Lao is my favorite. Love it. All a matter of personal taste preference is all.

Hard to imagine. Never seen a farang who could eat it. Smells like rotten fish. Tastes worse.

Hard to imagine. Never seen a farang who could eat it. Smells like rotten fish. Tastes worse.

How about Casu Marzu?

"Derived from Pecorino, casu marzu goes beyond typical fermentation to a stage most would consider decomposition, brought about by the digestive action of the larvae of the cheese fly Piophila casei. These larvae are deliberately introduced to the cheese, promoting an advanced level of fermentation and breaking down of the cheese's fats. The texture of the cheese becomes very soft, with some liquid (called lagrima, from Latin for "tear") seeping out. The larvae themselves appear as translucent white worms, about 8 millimetres (0.3 in) long.[1] When disturbed, the larvae can launch themselves for distances up to 15 centimetres (6 in). Some people clear the larvae from the cheese before consuming while others do not."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casu_marzu

In my opinion, Dukes on the river serves the best American food in Chiang Mai. However, I think the River Market, could be better when it comes to Thai food. The River Market location and decor is excellent. An alternative restaurant for quality Thai food is Samsen Villa. Samsen Villa is located on the Ping River in front of Rimping Condo.

In my opinion, Dukes on the river serves the best American food in Chiang Mai. However, I think the River Market, could be better when it comes to Thai food. The River Market location and decor is excellent. An alternative restaurant for quality Thai food is Samsen Villa. Samsen Villa is located on the Ping River in front of Rimping Condo.

That's a fair statement but The River Market is being marketed as "fusion" and not plain Thai food. Agree, Samsen Villa is one of my favorite Thai restaurants but I suspect it would be considered far too expensive by most members.

That's a fair statement but The River Market is being marketed as "fusion" and not plain Thai food. Agree, Samsen Villa is one of my favorite Thai restaurants but I suspect it would be considered far too expensive by most members.

Yes, you are right about the River Market serving Thai "fusion." Dave really knows the restaurant business well and with that in mind, I think the "Thai fusion" food at the River Market could be better. Also, Samsen Villa is about mid-range for Chiang Mai, and isn't considered expensive unless you are comparing them to Thai Street food. The prices seem to be about the same as Dukes and the River Market.

I've had some great meals at this restaurant, not sure what the other people complain about. Tuna, salmon, clams, oysters, mussels, sushi - all great. Great service, reasonably priced, clean facilities, oh and the setting is the best in Chiang Mai. I guess try it rather than relying on some people with ulterior motives.

I am curious as to what you think those ulterior motives are. Do you think it is other business owners who are posting? "Devotees" of other restaurants? I am not saying those "ulterior motives" are not possible, but wonder what they could be.

Taste is quite subjective and I, as well as many others, thought the food came close to sucking

• Like 1

I've had some great meals at this restaurant, not sure what the other people complain about. Tuna, salmon, clams, oysters, mussels, sushi - all great. Great service, reasonably priced, clean facilities, oh and the setting is the best in Chiang Mai. I guess try it rather than relying on some people with ulterior motives.

I am curious as to what you think those ulterior motives are. Do you think it is other business owners who are posting? "Devotees" of other restaurants? I am not saying those "ulterior motives" are not possible, but wonder what they could be.

Taste is quite subjective and I, as well as many others, thought the food came close to sucking

You came to the restaurant once after it opened. You didn't like it. I love to listen to constructive criticism but... Make your point, speak for yourself and move on. Your incessant arguing makes you sound like you do have ulterior motives. He likes it, you don't, so what? Why do you have to repeat yourself over and over again? You went one time.

The River Market is a big restaurant. It takes a lot of time to get things worked out. Service, food and even day to day operations. It's not going to be perfect overnight. To add to the difficulties of a new restaurant The River Market is already a very busy restaurant. This makes it more difficult because it makes it harder to work on the food and work with the staff. Add to that, this year the season has been particularly busy, there seems to be an acute shortage of food service workers, the increase in minimum wage and numerous other things going on that just make the fine tuning a little bit slower.

The food and the service have gotten better at The River Market. We are working everyday to make them even better. Is everything perfect? No. Will they ever be perfect? I doubt it. So if you want something to complain about I'm sure you can always find something. At least find something new.

Edited by theDukes
  • Like 2

You came to the restaurant once after it opened. You didn't like it. I love to listen to constructive criticism but... Make your point, speak for yourself and move on. Your incessant arguing makes you sound like you do have ulterior motives. He likes it, you don't, so what? Why do you have to repeat yourself over and over again? You went one time.

The River Market is a big restaurant. It takes a lot of time to get things worked out. Service, food and even day to day operations. It's not going to be perfect overnight. To add to the difficulties of a new restaurant The River Market is already a very busy restaurant. This makes it more difficult because it makes it harder to work on the food and work with the staff. Add to that, this year the season has been particularly busy, there seems to be an acute shortage of food service workers, the increase in minimum wage and numerous other things going on that just make the fine tuning a little bit slower.

The food and the service have gotten better at The River Market. We are working everyday to make them even better. Is everything perfect? No. Will they ever be perfect? I doubt it. So if you want something to complain about I'm sure you can always find something. At least find something new.

Thank you dave. Hopefully that's puts it to rest. Carry on and I'll be back next year to sample the improvements.

What is meant by "fusion" in this context? A fusion between what and what? I don't think that the food at the Riverside is a fusion of any two styles, I think that it's just toned down Thai food. Not that there's anything wrong with that - I suspect that it might be very popular with first time visitors to Thailand whose previous exposure to Thai food was at "Thai" restaurants in their home country.