River Market Review

LawrenceChee

A friend recommended this place and I have to say I avoided it for a while since it is always there.

Had dinner there tonight as I am staying nearby and am pleasantly surprised

The restaurants run by David are well run, very clean (toilet is the standard marker)

Service was fast and efficient , servers spoke good English.

Had the shrimps pepper, chicken satay and a watermelon juice and got a nice seat by the veranda with a good view of the bridge and river

Food was well presented and tasty and a good option outing if you have a group of friends farang and Thai

They have a good extensive menu that would please a big group and the location a good favorite for those who want to actually talk to your friends as opposed to the riverside where one would go to enjoy the music ambience and bands playing

• Like 1

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was going to ask you if you were planing on doing a review of it.

But here you go with out a word to me. I got home from there about an hour and half ago. I had Kow Soi and stuffed chicken wings along with some barbequed shrimp the wife ordered an order of son in law eggs all was delicious. And yes Dave does have High standards. Go into his kitchens they also are clean. The quality of the food is good also Dave pays a premium price for the food as he insists on Quality. He says you might not notice the difference but your body will

I was in the Duke on the moat before it went broke or what ever. Dave was in there training a new cook the fellow came toward the griddle and Dave turn to him stuck his finger out at him and said you go wash your hands.

As you say a really nice setting where you can carry on a conversation. Occasionally I will drop in when I am out for a walk and just have a iced tea while I enjoy the scenery. Looking south on the river a friend of mine once said it would make a nice Monet.

• Like 1

I once arrive at the restaurant a little earlier than their opening time, the lady owner and the staff were very nice and they did what they could to accommodate us. We didn't get grumpy face from the staff which is pretty typical in most other place when arrive on opening time.

Edited by ARISTIDE

Sorry to disagree totally...but I will. This place is clearly aiming at the tourist/ occasional visitor. The prices are ridiculous for what you get served, and despite the "nice" setting on the edge of the (smelly) Ping River, its just not good value for money at all.

The (so called) Satay I was served was disgusting. It was a lump of indistinguishable meat or fish, and you literally couldnt tell from texture or flavour what it was (I ordered mixed Satay by the way before you ask).

I could but wont because I dont think I m allowed to on here name you at least three other upmarket Thai type restaurants also with a river setting where the food is both much better and less expensive.

If people think River Market is good, they really must be grasping at straws!!!

• Like 1

As this a forum you should and could ..name those places so that we can try them

As you see in all my reviews ...I have eaten in a lot of places and not everyone agree but does not stop me from trying them as its an opinion not the law :-)

Beauty of a forum ...please share the names mate

As this a forum you should and could ..name those places so that we can try them

As you see in all my reviews ...I have eaten in a lot of places and not everyone agree but does not stop me from trying them as its an opinion not the law :-)

Beauty of a forum ...please share the names mate

As I understand it, if a place you recommend is not an advertiser on Thai Visa, the Moderators will often delete your posts.....am not criticising the moderation of the site by the way, just stating as I have found it before. Nice things said about Dukes/ River Market are allowed because the owner pays for advertising on Thai Visa.

If the moderator reading this tells me I can name other restaurants, will be happy to do so. Over to you, Mr. Moderator!!!

• Like 1

Sorry to disagree totally...but I will. This place is clearly aiming at the tourist/ occasional visitor. The prices are ridiculous for what you get served, and despite the "nice" setting on the edge of the (smelly) Ping River, its just not good value for money at all.

The (so called) Satay I was served was disgusting. It was a lump of indistinguishable meat or fish, and you literally couldnt tell from texture or flavour what it was (I ordered mixed Satay by the way before you ask).

I could but wont because I dont think I m allowed to on here name you at least three other upmarket Thai type restaurants also with a river setting where the food is both much better and less expensive.

If people think River Market is good, they really must be grasping at straws!!!

I agree, but doubt if these comments will last long before being disappeared........

I haven't yet eaten at River Market, so I can't comment on the food.

However, as it is owned by David of Dukes, if I found something 'disgusting' I would have no hesitation in saying something and I'm sure David would be interested to know why you were served something disgusting?

As I understand, if you have a good restaurant to recommend and have no interest in the business, then you are able to start a thread about it. Maybe not on here as it's specifically named River Market Review.

So long as the poster has no commercial connection with an eatery that has good food and service then he/she may post up a review. But highly negative posts are removed as Thailand has harsh defamation laws and Thaivisa prefers not to be involved in any legal action.

#8 " could but wont because I dont think I m allowed to on here name you at least three other upmarket Thai type restaurants also with a river setting where the food is both much better and less expensive."

Ah com'on PM...name them...we're waiting. coffee1.gif

• Like 1

I was in the Duke on the moat before it went broke or what ever.

Couldn't help but notice, but is the Dukes now closed? Or are you referring to some other "Duke?"

As for the River Market, I'd call it upscale Thai food which is pricey, but worth it.

The Dukes on the moat has been closed for quite a while.

Yes the River Market is a little upscale but as you say it is worth the price.

To each there own. For myself it it is a pleasant setting with a nice view to the south. One where as Lawrence said you can enjoy conversation with friends and acquaintances, Also hear your self think. These are things I value as well as the knowledge that whatever I order the quality will be there. I might not care for the dish but you might so I dish nothing.

As uptheos says you have a problem tell Dave he welcomes criticism as he is always trying to improve the various offerings.

This is a pretty well known fact about Dave.

If I want music and don't care about the food I will go to the riverside.

#8 " could but wont because I dont think I m allowed to on here name you at least three other upmarket Thai type restaurants also with a river setting where the food is both much better and less expensive."

OK. I ll name two for now where the food is better and less expensive than River Market.

1. Tha Naam.....on the river going towards Hang Dong after you go under that funny little underpass bridge at the very top of Changklan Road, where the setting is better than River Market, and the food is better and less expensive.

2. Number One Bistro/ Beer Garden, a bit further along the same road, great ambience, loads of mainly Belgian Beer, live music, and good food freshly cooked.....Fred the owner has two top notch Thai cooks cooking both Thai and a few Belgian/ Dutch specialities. Again, better than River Market, more fun, and less expensive.

I ll leave it at two for now, but there are more!!!!!

• Like 1

OK. I ll name two for now where the food is better and less expensive than River Market.

1. Tha Naam.....on the river going towards Hang Dong after you go under that funny little underpass bridge at the very top of Changklan Road, where the setting is better than River Market, and the food is better and less expensive.

2. Number One Bistro/ Beer Garden, a bit further along the same road, great ambience, loads of mainly Belgian Beer, live music, and good food freshly cooked.....Fred the owner has two top notch Thai cooks cooking both Thai and a few Belgian/ Dutch specialities. Again, better than River Market, more fun, and less expensive.

I ll leave it at two for now, but there are more!!!!!

Tha Naam certainly gets my vote as a good place to eat and great ambience. I particularly like their fish dishes and it's not expensive, but I can't compare.

As Tommo, I also heard that River Market is 'Thai fusion' and therefore completely different from Tha Naam which is Thai. Is No 1 really an 'upmarket Thai restaurant' or is it a large bar/beer garden that happens to cook Thai food as well as western?

Edited by uptheos
  • Like 1

River Market is good food but I've found the serving sizes at least 3 times too small which is in direct contrast to Dukes where the serves are massive. "Gai Tod" for instance is entree sized but served as a main. I've only been to River Market 4 times though so my review is based only on the relatively small selection of dishes I've had there. I'd still go there for the atmosphere but I'm fairly neutral on the overall quality/quantity for price and I'd probably go there more if the quality was more consistent and the sizes larger.

Been to the River Market a few times and always been happy with the food, size of portions and price. There's great ambiance, it's a good location and there's lots of parking.

I know I can buy excellent pad ka pao down the road for 30 baht, and I do sometimes. However, the River Market is a restaurant and provides a good restaurant experience evening. I don't mind paying more than 30 baht per dish for this.

• Like 2

Been to River Market Restaurant a number of times. As I normally order the steak and have only tried a few other items off their menu I will keep a proper review to myself.

But there are a number of points that are apparent.

Portions are small. 4 to 5 mains to fill the misses and myself up. Granted the second serving of Tamarind pork ribs is usually just because we find them so delicious. At the same time she's never hungry for some "proper" Thai food afterwards. It is an restaurant we can both enjoy.

Ambiance is great. An mixture of Thais, expats and tourists. Actually on some occasions the Thais form the majority of customers. Guess some Thais enjoy "modern" and/or "fusion" Thai food as much as the rest of us.

My main problem is the cooking of the steaks. On 4 separate occasions I have ordered steak, progressively going from a "medium" to "medium well done" to "well done". All steaks after of few cuts have flooded the plate with blood and juices. Having worked in commercial kitchens before I am hesitant in returning meals back but on the 4th occasion and especially after an clear request in Thai and English while ordering, I returned the meal back to the kitchen. It returned with the minimum of fuss, cooked well done and with fresh sides. Nice.

Might be a bit pricey but as a place to go once in awhile it is definitely recommended.

I've been to River Market once and three other friends went, all on different occasions. We all have pretty much the same consensus: the food is not so good for what you pay.... I find ingredients to be better at other places, it's just a step up from the market but you sure don't pay step up from the market prices.

Its one saving grace is the beautiful setting.

I don't think I am the target of this restaurant. I'm happy to pay for a good meal, but the fusion food there is not for me.

When family are over next month we will go there, they will like it. And so will the Chinese, and I am sure they will fill the place by the bus load many a time over the coming years.

Dukes is for the expats, River Market for the photographers in a bus, now what are their plans for the local population. It is often difficult to find good food in such a nice setting.

• Like 1

Like River Market, esp. the Tamarind Pork Ribs but had somethings that were good but not what was expected from reading the menu (the main item on the menu should correspond to the main item on the plate on any particular dish).

Reading this I happened to be near Tha Naam (but I don't think that is the exact name) today at 11 am and figured I'd see if they were open for an early lunch. There were and it was one of the BEST restaurant meals I've ever had in Chiang Mai. Service friendly and good suggestion etc. Started with the specialty of a a Thai Veg and Egg with fried shallot, kind of like a scramble up. Then spicy bamboo and pork rib soup and a whole local chicken which was great. All came to 610 bht with water and three rice and a coffee. More food then the two of us could finish and I left feeling full from food cooked with care, which makes one feel more than just full but satiated.

• Like 1

As a Duke's devotee I am somewhat disappointed that CM expats are not more supportive of Dave and his RM.

The city riverfront land and construction cost a lot of money, a lot more than some other locations mentioned, and one might expect to pay a small premium for that.

Finding good managers and staff has been difficult and Dave spends a lot of time at RM to make a go of it. Please support his efforts to make it a Chiang Mai landmark restaurant with constructive criticism and foot traffic.

Note: I have no affiliation with RM, just many years in Hospitality, and my TW is a top chef! :D

• Like 1

I agree that is a harsh remark.

I was at Duke and had the lemon chicken and shrimp scampi

It was 345 baht ~ 11 USD for a big juicy chicken fillet, French cut fries and 5 big shrimp and a serving of vegetables and garlic bread.

It was delicious, service was efficient and servers smiley an the food came out hot

I am not sure why anyone would complain ..not sure which side of town Postman Pat you are from ...this will never be available at that price in Caribbean, Europe, Australia, NZ or USA, Japan, Hong Kong, Singapore okay I am harping on it now ...

They will continue to get my patronage when the mood strikes for western food.

As a Duke's devotee I am somewhat disappointed that CM expats are not more supportive of Dave and his RM.

The city riverfront land and construction cost a lot of money, a lot more than some other locations mentioned, and one might expect to pay a small premium for that.

Finding good managers and staff has been difficult and Dave spends a lot of time at RM to make a go of it. Please support his efforts to make it a Chiang Mai landmark restaurant with constructive criticism and foot traffic.

Note: I have no affiliation with RM, just many years in Hospitality, and my TW is a top chef! biggrin.png

I really don't think Dave planned on it making it because the expats support it. I think he was and is looking for Thai support. As any one who has been there or Dukes on the river knows he is getting a lot of Thai support. Dave is a business man and he knows he is going to need the Thai support. I do agree it is an unique enterprise. Not Thai and not western food a combination of both, A very in my opinion scenic location especially looking South. A fantastic building and no loud music playing so you can enjoy conversation with your friends and bring a family if you wish.

Speaking of hospitality he went out of his way to put a safe side walk in for the pedestrian traffic. Previously it was walk on the narrow dark street. He even put signs on both ends telling people it was a path to the bridge.