Which Is The Best Satellite Tv Package?

chozz

Looking at getting set up for some kind of satellite package.

Checked out the True Visions site, but its quite pricey at 2000B for the top package and about 1500b for the next best.

Are there other competitors, such as astro etc available?

Or is it a case of monopoly?

Really want to have access to live football from the English Premier League, Champions League and others.

Plus a few movie and entertainment channels thrown in.

True Vision is the only licensed satellite in Thailand. And yes they are way overpriced for what you get. I had them about 4 years and canceled them three years ago. It might depend on where you live as to cable TV options. There used to be Astro satellite with a bootleg deal, but haven't seen it around in a while. I get two Astro sports channels on my cable that's 850 Baht a month including internet. But not sure it would give you all the games you would want. There is internet streaming, but not very good quality...

I have had Astro through Jaksat for 6 years and it works fine. Haven't really needed any service, but on the odd occasion I do (usually yearly renewal), they are responsive.

Initial fee to set up the dish / box / smartcard was about THB 15K when I first got it set up, but then around THB 15K / year for SD. No movie / cartoon channels for me. Add'l 2,500 baht / year for HD.

• Like 1

True, particularly with the HD package is quite a good product, though yes it's not cheap. Watching the Premier League in HD is great (though not all of the matches are actually shown in HD). Also be aware that after this current season they won't be showing the Premier league as they lost the bid to CTH

True, particularly with the HD package is quite a good product, though yes it's not cheap. Watching the Premier League in HD is great (though not all of the matches are actually shown in HD). Also be aware that after this current season they won't be showing the Premier league as they lost the bid to CTH (Cable Thai Holdings): http://www.cth.co.th though their website currently is only in Thai, and no details about how they're going to broadcast it etc.

I got rid of my true visions. I just use Rawaii cable. Its good enough and cheap

I agree, tried True a few times, just not worth the extra money compared with local cable. If you want to watch a lot of football and sports then True is for you. With a little bit of research I can watch my preferred sporting events (F1) online.

I got rid of my true visions. I just use Rawaii cable. Its good enough and cheap

I agree, tried True a few times, just not worth the extra money compared with local cable. If you want to watch a lot of football and sports then True is for you. With a little bit of research I can watch my preferred sporting events (F1) online.

Or goto the pub :)

• Like 1

Depending on your location try KPP Cable. Monthly charge is around 300THB and for a one time fee of 2000THB you can get a set top box which gives you all the EPL games through Fox Sports/Star Sports out of Malaysia. Usually 2 or 3 games every Saturday and Sunday.

Also includes about 10 other English language channels; Discovery, National Geographic etc. No HD but picture quality is pretty decent.

Well worth an extra 1500 baht in opinion, loads more channels, loads more Sport, HD, Record live and Dolby Digital Plus sound.

Cable the picture quality is so bad unless you have a TV from the 1960's it's unbearable.

I have had Kamala Cable (or something like that) for years, at 300 Baht/month. I just got True V. For news, CNN Hong Kong sucks. I do like Oggy and the Cockroaches, and the original Hawaii 5-0, but not worth 1500/month. Torrents are the way to go if you want a particular series.

• Like 1

Would be grateful for info on getting formula 1 on line. Could you elaborate bearing in mind I am a bit thick when it comes to computers.

Or goto the pub smile.png

I would normally, if its the Saturday/Sunday afternoon games in England, but alot of pubs aren't still open for the midweek night matches, which don't kick off until 2.45am here coffee1.gif

• 1 month later...

I have had Astro through Jaksat for 6 years and it works fine. Haven't really needed any service, but on the odd occasion I do (usually yearly renewal), they are responsive.

Initial fee to set up the dish / box / smartcard was about THB 15K when I first got it set up, but then around THB 15K / year for SD. No movie / cartoon channels for me. Add'l 2,500 baht / year for HD.

I noticed you are a Giants fan. me too. Does Astro show NFL games? Does it have ASN?

As I learned from True ASN is the only network around here with American sports. Now I am issing the NCAA final 4 because I am not going to spend the money on True Gold.

Would be grateful for info on getting formula 1 on line. Could you elaborate bearing in mind I am a bit thick when it comes to computers.

Can be a bit hit and miss......... so far Australian F1 was a bad picture on Race day, if I remember there were 23 live feed but all were bad picture.......... Malaysia was perfect picture and in HD on Sky Sports...

Things to remember you may be blocked with a IP address in Thailand so will need to connect using a European IP....... many auto IP changers if you don't know how to do... Google..

Myself use http://www.vipboxsports.me/

and have done for past couple of years........... open site about 30 mins before so you have time to check all the feeds and find the best one.

Has every Sport on it around the world

+ all is FREE........ you do not need all the down loaders + myself never downloaded the Free desktop App, so cannot say if this does anything

Edited by ignis

I noticed you are a Giants fan. me too. Does Astro show NFL games? Does it have ASN?

As I learned from True ASN is the only network around here with American sports. Now I am issing the NCAA final 4 because I am not going to spend the money on True Gold.

They stopped showing last year. They carried ASN for years. Lots of Giants games. Not exactly sure if the recent changes with Fox Sports will improve our opportunities.

Astro Supersports 2 is showing NCAA Tourny. Unfortunately, not live.

Looks like Foxsports are advertising MLB games as well, which starts in a few days.

• Like 1

They stopped showing last year. They carried ASN for years. Lots of Giants games. Not exactly sure if the recent changes with Fox Sports will improve our opportunities.

Astro Supersports 2 is showing NCAA Tourny. Unfortunately, not live.

Looks like Foxsports are advertising MLB games as well, which starts in a few days.

Thanks for the info. Helpful comments. will look into Astro Supersports

I need to explore this and develop some solutions. I am tired of not getting American sports.

Or goto the pub smile.png

I second that. F1 qualifications and races are basically then only thing I watch from TV. I's more fun to watch the events in a Pub while sharing thoughts and sometimes arguing what is happening with people from different backgrounds and ideas.

For Paklok area, the Londoner pub. Now if only I could get the bar owner to upgrade the TV and subscription to HD.

I do miss mythbusters and some other shows, but those can be downloaded from the Internet, if needed.

• 3 months later...

dear all,

i'm not from phuket but am coming for holiday with family this weekend... can any kind person tell me where i can watch "LIVE" F1 race (Hungary) this sun at 8pm? I'm staying at the Sala Resort and it seems it's really near the airport? i know my hotel doesn't have the right channel to show it. Please help.

thanks guys. De

dear all,

i'm not from phuket but am coming for holiday with family this weekend... can any kind person tell me where i can watch "LIVE" F1 race (Hungary) this sun at 8pm? I'm staying at the Sala Resort and it seems it's really near the airport? i know my hotel doesn't have the right channel to show it. Please help.

thanks guys. De

F1 will be on FoxSports channel on our local cable / satellite. Many hotels only have the most basic channels, as you point out. Not far from your hotel is Bill Bentley's pub in Turtle Village next to the Marriott Residence (might be called Renaissance). Good pub with all the sports you could want.

We had true for many years. I was alwys upset with them for various reasons, such as too much advertisment, many useless channels, billing always dodgy, lack of support etc.. Then a couple of years back we got a cable provider in our area. Now we pay for the whole year whst we used to pay for two months for True, and have it available in all rooms! What more can I ask for.

There are a number of online providers that charge a monthly fee to watch European channels either with about 5min delay or anytime on demand for up to 10 days back or so. My mom uses that and is very happy with it. Just google and these services will pop up.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• 1 month later...

If you have adsl at 5-6 Mb/s try XBMC (X Box media centre).

I get all UK TV (SD) ALL US TV series and movies, all free,

Just have to download and set up. It's all on YouTube courtesy of "Supercharge" a bloke who sounds like Barry White!

Open source, virus free, XBMC.org

check it out

• 2 months later...

Get XBMC (at xbmc.org) then a free film on account (at their site). Download add ons via xbmchub.com e.g. expattv (free) 1 channel (movies and TV shows) Watch through TV connected to PC/laptop/tablet [hdmi] and away you go.

It is a hassle, a bit, to set up first but worth it in the long run. Check XBMC videos on YouTube (high view count/ most recent) for set up help.

I have recently gone Wi-Net (good, fingers crossed, so far) 10Mb/s download 0.5 Mb/s upload consistent even in evenings (may drop to 7Mb/s). This allied with XBMC gives all UK TV channels (not sky) but you can usually get these (Sky / BT etc.) via an XBMC add on called Navi-X. I watched F! Grand Prix on Sky's F1 channel (SD but OK for Free).

If you like rugby you can get Setanta sportsplus for 500 bht a month.