The World Loves Toddler Nong Dylan, But His Parents Are Wary: Thai Alphabet

webfact

As much as Dylan's cognitive skills are admirable, why is he branded "half-Thai" and not "half-Welsh" by the local press?

I know why, namely for the same reason why celebrity violinist Vanessa-Mae is branded "half-Thai" and not "half-Singaporean", star golfer Tiger Woods likewise is labeled "half-Thai" and not "half-American", and a certain female U.S. senator was described as "Thai-born" and not as "a naturalized U.S. citizen".

Would Dylan have even been mentioned in a three-line news snippet if he - as a "half-Thai" - would be able to recite the ABC?

Are tou being serious? What possible interest would the story have for Thai readers if he was referred to as half Welsh. Same for the celebrities. Why would any Thai be interested in a golfer named Woods unless his connection with LoS was highlighted. Isn't it obvious?

It is great to see parents making the effort to have their children become bilingual. Both of my kids, now adults, are bilingual, bicultural, and thanks to changes in both the US and Thai governments, dual citizens. It is not that difficult to raise children as bilinguals, but it does take concerted effort and,in my humble opinion, some financial investment to succeed as it requires, during the childhood years, travel to the second country for a few months at least every other year. And note that taking your child out of school for a few months between ages 5-8 will not affect the kid's education. We would take the kids in November and come back in January to minimize lost school days. it also requires the mother to speak to the child primarily in Thai (assuming she is living abroad) and not get frustrated when the child responds in English or whatever be the native language of the domicile. So kudos to these parents although I, coming from an older generation, would never post such a video on a public forum.

a half-Thai toddler living in the UK

We sincerely hope that this unfortunate child will soon gain full Thai nationality.

As a matter of fact, we hope that all half-children will soon find adequate support to ensues that they will not fall over.

post-155923-0-17917800-1360253129_thumb.

• Like 1

Meanwhile, in Thailand:

OK, so this seemingly grown-up person makes fun of a three-year-old toddler and you find this funny. That makes both you and him really mature.

It's the delivery dude, a comic tells a funny joke, a comedian tells a joke funny! Lighten up and go with the flow! Serious Sam.
  • Like 1

It is great to see parents making the effort to have their children become bilingual. Both of my kids, now adults, are bilingual, bicultural, and thanks to changes in both the US and Thai governments, dual citizens. It is not that difficult to raise children as bilinguals, but it does take concerted effort and,in my humble opinion, some financial investment to succeed as it requires, during the childhood years, travel to the second country for a few months at least every other year. And note that taking your child out of school for a few months between ages 5-8 will not affect the kid's education. We would take the kids in November and come back in January to minimize lost school days. it also requires the mother to speak to the child primarily in Thai (assuming she is living abroad) and not get frustrated when the child responds in English or whatever be the native language of the domicile. So kudos to these parents although I, coming from an older generation, would never post such a video on a public forum.

YES agreed, i am trying hard to be BI, but my wife says i am only a HOBO-sexual...A BUM fuc_k.

Goofy parents, the kid is 3, if some idiots want to pay you to interview your kid you should get it while it's available. I'm sure when the kid is 4 he will be saying "why did you exploit me!".

Okay all of you TV members that can remember what you were doing when you were 3 raise your hands! Just what I thought.

• Like 1

Teach the little fella to do it in Welsh too. I hear theres a huge shortage of Thai-Welsh translators.

There is a Thai that speaks Welsh ? That I would love to hear, or maybe its a Welsh person who speaks Thai with a Welsh accent, that would be even more fun :)