Domino's Pizza Is Back In Bangkok

webfact

FAST FOOD ALERT: Domino’s is back in Bangkok

By Coconuts Bangkok

dominos.jpg

From out the maw of Domino's

BANGKOK: -- This New Year’s, Bangkok was reintroduced to a standby of American fast food cuisine: Domino’s Pizza.

Though Domino’s made a brief, mid-‘90s sojourn in the Kingdom, the chain was eventually forced out amongst steep competition.

Recently, however, hotel and restaurant conglomerate Fico Group acquired the right to begin distributing the delicious/disgusting pizza within Thailand once again, and this Jan. 1, the inaugural location of a second generation of Domino’s restaurants opened on Sukhumvit Soi 22. [more...]

Full story: http://www.coconutsb...ack-in-bangkok/

-- COCONUTS Bangkok 2013-02-07

footer_n.gif

• Like 1

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just Curious

Any idea why the 7" is so cheap when compared to the 9"

pi r 2 = the 9" is 1.65 times the size of the 7" but 3.3 times the price?

No idea....but I ate half of the small one for lunch and that was plenty.

To the thin crust critic.....better to have more options in town than less.

• Like 1

Yuck...pizza with a 3 inch thick spongy crust.

And mushrooms, the most disgusting vile substance on the planet. I'd rather die eating arsenic, it would taste better and I would not have to suffer as long.

They also have hardly any tomoato base on the pizza, my rule of thumb - the less tomaoto base the worse the pizza tastes.

Edited by fire and ice

Just curious, will the BKK branch of Domino's have crusts that taste like cardboard.... just like the real thing back in the U.S.A.??? tongue.png

In a 2009 survey of consumer taste preferences among national chains by Brand Keys, Domino's was last — tied with Chuck E. Cheese's. In December that year, Domino's announced plans to entirely reinvent its pizza. It began a self-flogging ad campaign in which consumers were filmed criticizing the pizza's quality and chefs were shown developing the new product.

In 2010, shortly after the company's 50th anniversary, Domino's changed its pizza recipe "from the crust up",[43] making significant changes in the dough, sauce and cheese used in their pizzas. Their advertising campaign admitted to earlier problems with the public perception of Domino's product due to issues of taste.

http://en.wikipedia..../Domino's_Pizza

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

And mushrooms, the most disgusting vile substance on the planet. I'd rather die eating arsenic, it would taste better and I would not have to suffer as long.

They also have hardly any tomoato base on the pizza, my rule of thumb - the less tomaoto base the worse the pizza tastes.

Your post is very subjective. I like mushrooms...and found the tomato sauce to be perfectly adequate. Also the base is nowhere near three inches thick.

In addition they offer a thin crust base which I have not tried as yet.

Wouldn't touch the stuff. A company so far right wing it's only a couple of steps away from rounding the Jews up again.

Are you talking about the company itself, or the Catholic crazed guy who founded it, but's no longer involved in its operation (after having sold out to Bain Capital of Mitt Romney fame some years back...)?

Domino's Pizza Founder Sues Over Obamacare Contraception Coverage Mandate

AP | Posted: 12/15/2012 2:26 pm EST

DETROIT -- The founder of Domino's Pizza is suing the federal government over mandatory contraception coverage in the health care law.

Tom Monaghan, a devout Roman Catholic, says contraception isn't health care but a "gravely immoral" practice.

He filed a lawsuit Friday in federal court. It also lists as a plaintiff Domino's Farms, a Michigan office park complex that Monaghan owns.

Monaghan offers health insurance that excludes contraception and abortion for employees. The new federal law requires employers to offer insurance including contraception coverage or risk fines.

Monaghan says the law violates his rights, and is asking a judge to strike down the mandate. There are similar lawsuits pending nationwide.

A message left Saturday for Monaghan's attorney, Richard Thompson, was not immediately returned.

The government says the contraception mandate benefits women.

UPDATE: 12/18 -- A representative from Domino's has provided The Huffington Post with the following statement:

The story has been widely misreported to indicate Domino's was involved in this action, which is completely untrue.
Tom Monaghan sold Domino's Pizza in 1998 and today has NO active affiliation with our company. The media often neglect to note this fact. His views are not our views, nor are his actions in any way related to our actions. Domino's Pizza has made no public statements about health care, as we are still waiting to see how the final rules will affect our network of small business owners.

Domino's is not a political company; it is not a religious company - we are a pizza company.

Just curious, will the BKK branch of Domino's have crusts that taste like cardboard.... just like the real thing back in the U.S.A.??? tongue.png

Its the closest thing you are going to get to US pizza in bangkok John....so embrace it! tongue.png

I haven't had one of their pizzas in years, since back in the U.S., and a long time before I left, to boot... So clearly that was back during their "BAD" pizza days... Have no way of knowing if their "NEW" pizza days are any better, especially here in BKK... But I did notice their new location in the new Holiday Inn on Suk Rd the other day.

post-58284-0-34000200-1360229158_thumb.j

I don't know if I'm really looking for "US" pizza here... But good pizza (that being a very subjective opinion) is always nice... Pala Pizza at BTS Asoke is pretty good. Limoncello in Suk Soi 11 is OK... And a few other places around town are worth eating.

Its the closest thing you are going to get to US pizza in bangkok John....so embrace it! tongue.png

I haven't had one of their pizzas in years, since back in the U.S., and a long time before I left, to boot... So clearly that was back during their "BAD" pizza days... Have no way of knowing if their "NEW" pizza days are any better, especially here in BKK... But I did notice their new location in the new Holiday Inn on Suk Rd the other day.

post-58284-0-34000200-1360229158_thumb.j

I don't know if I'm really looking for "US" pizza here... But good pizza (that being a very subjective opinion) is always nice... Pala Pizza at BTS Asoke is pretty good. Limoncello in Suk Soi 11 is OK... And a few other places around town are worth eating.

Its the only deep pan pizza I would eat in Bangkok. In my opinion its OK.

Different to Pala and Limoncello obviously.

Edited by smokie36

And the closest thing to a real pizza is my kitchen whistling.gif

Failing that, Italy or Melbourne thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

I'm no pizza expert but, outside of some Italian restaurants I've visited, Dominos is reasonably tasty. Certainly better than Pizza Hut or The Pizza Co.

They do have plans for expansion within Bangkok & outside.

I've never considered either Pizza Hut or especially The Pizza Co. in Thailand to produce anything even remotely resembling a real pizza. So I'm not sure how much of a comparison that is to make. tongue.png

• Like 1

If, and when it get to Chiang Mai, and the price is OK and it is like they make in the states, I will be a regular customer

I would prefer Duke's any day.

Indeed, just based on taste (not on tradition), the Duke's in BKK (now deceased from The Emporium) produced a quite nice pizza... Mainly it was a very good bread base that they were using for the pizza and other bread servings on their menu. Never been to the CM branch, unfortunately.

Better than the ketchup on a cracker type that you usually get around here.

Try Duilios over on Suk 49...yummy! thin crispy crust and great high quality and tasty toppings. they use a wood oven as well. A little bit more expensive than the chains, but not by much!

• Like 1

Enough of the dog poop pizza. Please import some Mexicans that know how to make a real burrito. BTW....anybody know any GOOD Mexican food in LOS? It's the only thing I miss about Southern California (aka--Northern Mexico)

There's a whole thread on Mexican food! :lol:

Domino's is something we buy for the kids when we dont' want to cook back home. Cheap and painless... but never eat it for ourselves. What I would give for a large Round Table Pizza right now... oh, I can't sleep at night thinking about it.

• Like 1

...the owner is a devout catholic and his proceeds fill the evil churches who try to over-populate the ignorant catholic masses to dominate the world. Hey that's where they got the name. That church has many food companies and all are holy shit.

If you read post #15 above, you'll see that your political comments above are about 15 years out of date, and no longer accurate for the company. The owner/founder you're referring to sold out in 1998, and no longer has any connection with the company.

As for the quality of their pizza, that's a different matter.